News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Seeding Swarm Army 1850 Pts  (Read 1319 times)

Offline 1000 sons

• Tzeentch, Lord of Sorcery, and Changer of Ways
Seeding Swarm Army 1850 Pts
« on: March 10, 2003, 06:49:46 PM »
Here is the list for my 1850 point Tyranid Swarm Army for RTT.  Here goes:

HQ
- Hive Tyrant

Troops
- 6 Genestealers
- 6 Genestealers
- 6 Genestealers
- 6 Genestealers

Fast Attack

- 6 'Ferocious' Genestealers
- 6 'Ferocious' Genestealers

Heavy

- 6 Genetealers
- 6 Genestealers
- 6 Genestealers

Let me know what you guys think! Thanx! ;D
Every book was sacred, every writing worthy of study, every document a resource to be drained. The ultimate knowledge was sorcery, the way to final enlightment, the key to the universe.

"Magnus the Red did take to the field of battle, causing the ravedged ground to liquefy 'neath his mighty stride........Magnu s spoke a word of power, and did sink away into the iridescent ground" -  the Edda of the Hammer

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
Re:Seeding Swarm Army 1850 Pts
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 09:25:17 PM »
Don't take too many Troops; the Fast Attack and Heavy Support will be generally more useful unless you want to Infiltrate. For the "Without Number" broods, you may be better off with Gaunts, as the rule benefits them more because it helps them swarm the enemy. You'll also need some anti-skimmer firepower.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 12:28:18 AM »
Umm, what are you doing with the rest of the points.  Nine broods of 6 genestealers = about 900pts.  One tyrant with all the toys couldn't be more than 300 pts.  That leaves at least 650 more.  

Your list is very unbalanced.  Don't get me wrong genestealers do a great job in assault, but you're going to probably have to do more than just that.  Imagine facing a Necron army with a single monolith.  A tyrants venom cannon will only glance on a 6.  Genestealers will not be able to hurt it since you can never roll more than 1 die on the pen roll against a monolith - even with rending claws.

Try to work in a greater variety of units - more mobility to contest objectives etc.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline 1000 sons

• Tzeentch, Lord of Sorcery, and Changer of Ways
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 01:10:27 AM »
WHy bother with the monolith when playing against necrons? And i do see that i did miscalculate my points. Hmmmmm.......
Every book was sacred, every writing worthy of study, every document a resource to be drained. The ultimate knowledge was sorcery, the way to final enlightment, the key to the universe.

"Magnus the Red did take to the field of battle, causing the ravedged ground to liquefy 'neath his mighty stride........Magnu s spoke a word of power, and did sink away into the iridescent ground" -  the Edda of the Hammer

Offline GamersAdvocate

• Live to Game : Game to Live
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 11:12:02 PM »
This is a interesting army, but has a lot of flaws. Why even bother with a Hive Tyrant with all genestealers, instead I would use a warrior brood for a HQ and you can still add a venom to one of them, also I have to agree with the Hive Custodian about the W-O-N heavy choice, you would be better with gaunts or hormes for the swarm factor. You could also make a brood of 12 genes instead of 2 seperate with 6 and take a termagaunt brood for cannon fodder to help the genestealers make it to the frontline.  Hope this helps.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 11:21:29 PM »
The reason you'd have to think about a monolith is that it can completely destroy your entire strategy.  It has the ability to take d6 shots at every enemy unit within 12", shoot an ordnance weapon within 24" and move 6" every turn.  Or instead of its ordnance attack it can pull a friendly unit out of CC.

Other units that you will have a problem with include any skimmer vehicle - the genestealers will need a 6 to even hit it, assuming they can get close enough.

Scenarios that will cause problems will be any that dont allow deepstrike.  Ferocious genestealers are great, unless they have to walk across the battlefield.

As I said before, try for a little more balance in your list and it will perform better.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.