News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt list for the febuwaaghry compition  (Read 1457 times)

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
  • If we don't end WAAGH, WAAGH will end us!
1000 pt list for the febuwaaghry compition
« on: January 20, 2012, 02:46:35 PM »
1000 Pts - Codex: Orks Roster

1 Big Mek
   1 Big Mek - Mek's Tools; 'Eavy Armour; Ammo Runt; Cybork Body; Choppa; Shokk Attack Gun

36 Boyz
   20 Boyz - Choppa & Slugga
   10 Boyz - Shootas
   2 Boyz - Big Shoota; Choppa & Slugga
   1 Boyz - Big Shoota; Shootas
   3 Boyz Nob - 'Eavy Armour; Bosspole; Slugga; Big Choppa

2 Deffkoptas
   2 Deffkoptas - Buzzsaw; Twin Linked Rokkit Launcha; Choppa

6 Kommandos
   5 Kommandos - Choppa & Slugga
   1 Kommando Nob - Bosspole; Slugga; Big Choppa

12 Lootas
   12 Lootas - Deffguns

3 Trukk
   3 Trukk - Armour Plates; Grot Rigger; Red Paint Job; Reinforced Ram; Big Shoota
Total Roster Cost: 999

Created with Army BuilderĀ® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com
------------------
The basic idea is to have the long range units pummel the front lines so that my boys in trukks and green barons (2 barons were cheaper than 2 squads of 3) go around destroying the enemy. Also I threw the ammo runt on the Big Mek because I was unsure if would let me roll distance on a scatter die.
Check out the Two Headed Geek channel on Youtube! TwoheadedGeek's channel - YouTube *Latest Video= Army Update*

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
Re: 1000 pt list for the febuwaaghry compition
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »
Hey zachay2000,

Just a quick question, but are you going to put the Big Mek with the Lootas? If so, it is best to give him a boss pole to keep the other boys in line and to stop running around like cowardly gits as they do not have access to one themselves  ;)

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »
Big Mek will be on his own in case of double 1's it sucks but will give me more board control
Check out the Two Headed Geek channel on Youtube! TwoheadedGeek's channel - YouTube *Latest Video= Army Update*

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:59:15 PM »
Hehe, I haven't used the SAG before. What is your experience with it like? Given its random nature I suppose it could be a blessing or a burden  ;) Do you find the Mek itself as a fire magnet?

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »
@Zachary2000 The way you laid out your army list about made my head explode, first I tought you had 36 boyz in a group, then i tought u had a squad of 20 boys and a squad of 10, then i figured it was 3 squads of boyz, and finally I got that they were in trukks.  I still have no idea if you got the green barons paired up or if the lootas are in one squad or in two?

An easier way to list them, just for future reference

12x slugga boyz, BS, Nob w/ PK/BP in a trukk

I have seen other ways of doing it but I will say that it is hard when you look at a list and have to try to figure out if the person has a configuration problem or a list problem.   

The real problem I see is the lack of power klaws.   PK's are our way of dealing with armor and are usually needed to win combat (especially against things with MEQ armor).   Yes the higher str of the big choppa is nice but the fact that your opponent will always get a save from it will mean that your chances of effectively winning combat are slim.  Factor in other things like monsterous creatures or termie armor and it is even worse.  The low Int and low body count of the trukk squads mean that they need to make every hit count.  They can soak up a few wounds and probabaly will but they have to be able to strike back reliably.  The PK helps to make this happen.  The big choppa doesn't really come into its own on a nob in a boyz squad.  The Nobz initiative is still really low and the fact that your opponent will still get a save won't help much.   

This isn't saying that BC (Big Choppas) are bad.  But I think they find their home a lot better in Nob squads or even on a warboss.   

Hehe, I haven't used the SAG before. What is your experience with it like? Given its random nature I suppose it could be a blessing or a burden  ;) Do you find the Mek itself as a fire magnet?

The only thing I have ever got the SAG mek to do effectively is blow himself up.   I run mine with a squad of gretchin or a squad of shoota boyz.   This way he can take some shooting without getting removed from the table.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
Now this is a critique, don't take it personal, take it or leave it. Please realize that I am currently teaching two new ork players to use their orks well, so if I seem harsh; it is not meant that way. Think of an old wise man speaking in hushed tones for your edification.

Looking at your list I see a mixed list that is trying to combine the best of both worlds, which doesn't really work for orks, but you are free to try it out.

First up; trucks. You are wasting points on the extra armor and grots. Most armies these days have some sort of melta in just about every squad, so your trucks will die quick. I rarely have a truck get immobilized, they either get their weapon shot off or have to roll on the ramshackle table. Save some points and drop the armor plates, and instead of grots put boarding planks on them. The ram is almost required gear, allowing you to go through terrain rather than around it, not to mention the +2 for tank shocking, so keep the ram.

Truck boys; change the nob to a PK. As an eldar player I learned that most of the aspect warriors were just wounds for the exarch, i.e. an exarch delivery system. Well, truck boys are kinda the same thing, they are wounds to make sure the nob with PK gets into combat. Plus, having a boarding plank on a truck allows the nob to make his attacks without dismounting, and S9 is better than S7 when killing dreadnoughts and tanks.

The truck boys are the back bone of this army, they are your troop choices as well as your main thrust of attack. The big choppa will not kill most enemy things as AOD mentioned. The PK works, so go with what works.

The kommandoes are a very small squad, at least give them burnas so when they jump on a squad of long fangs/devastators, et al, they have a chance at killing some of them.  You will be surprised at how hard it is to get past those pesky 3+ saves. I would say drop the lootas, and beef up the kommandoes if you really want them.

The big mek with SAG; since you have vehicles, I highly recommend the KFF instead. It will keep your trucks alive a little longer until they can deliver the boys, then the trucks are just bonus units to drive around tank shocking things, and otherwise being irritating. The SAG is just a free kill point for your opponent, especially since you intend to set him off by himself.
Keep the SAG if you want, but I recommend that you drop the lootas to get the points to take a KFF big mek.

Lootas; They are a waste of points in this army. They will not deliver the fire support you are seeking. Drop them to get the points for the things mentioned above. Keep them if you must, and you will find that either you lose them all right off the bat, or they are your only survivors. Either way it means you ended up with a "didn't lose" result.

The deffcoptas; two green barons are good. Make sure to run them as two units of one. ;D

Now if this is all your have, then play as you will, but if you can make the changes then I think you will be happier with the results.

Something else to consider; drop the kommandoes and go with got gun batteries. Better BS, and surprisingly effective. Not to mention cheeper in points (if you have the models, and if you are set on being half static and half fast).

Hopefully some of what I have said will help you in your endeavor to become a good ork general.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »
my only issue is that I don't have any big gunz. I have some spare bitz from the battlewagon boxes (I just got my second) and could try to make two grot big gunz but don't have the grot models to man them. Also from what I've seen online in videos the big gunz simply can't cut it when the speed freaks push the enemy to the ends of the boards away from them.

That being said I really appreciate everyone's advice! I'm sorry if the list isn't clear, I just got my hands on a license of army builder (required for me at this point) but it's output settings don't really work for the forum (I'll keep messing with it but just being able to copy and paste is too good to go back to). The green barons will be run independently and I really love deff koptas but I find that just one isn't good enough. Ideally what I would love to do is be able to run even more speed freaks (this is a 50/50 shot for me at the moment because I'm working heavily on my 1500 and 2000 pt game).

I could easily replace the big mek with a kff it will just cost more points in the long run (armor, cybork, etc.) and the lootas just seemed like they would be better than the burnas in this case because of the small amount of room I have for heavies. I would love to be able to run 2 battlewagons in this list (6 burnas in each) with deff rollas instead of all the long range but don't really see it as viable in such a small pt setting. Thank you for any advice on the matter!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
Well try one of these two lists

Big mek with KFF, cybork, burna
19 boys, one is nob with PK and BP
20 boys one is nob with PK and BP
12 boys one is nob with PK and BP riding in truck with ram and plank
1 green baron
1 rockit buggy
2 battle wagons, roller, red, grots, big shoota
Under 1k points

List two
big mek with KFF, and burna
12 boys one is nob with PK and BP, riding in a red truck with ram and plank
11 shoota boys one is nob with big shoota and BP, riding in a red truck with ram (mek rides here)
6 rockit buggies (ran as three squadrons of two)
Under 1k points

The first list is good for taking on opponents in heavily terrained boards (city fight stuff) while list two is more for open terrain and is a list that has too much for your opponent to shoot at (and is one that I play with a lot).

Try it you'll like it  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
We encounter my second problem in that I don't own a single buggy. Are they really that good? It seems like for the pts that warbikers would be better since they don't have to stay with the main group because of the native 4+ cover save.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »
We encounter my second problem in that I don't own a single buggy. Are they really that good? It seems like for the pts that warbikers would be better since they don't have to stay with the main group because of the native 4+ cover save.

well rokkit buggies are twin linked, can be taken in squads of 3, are pretty cheap, and don't have to worry about moral checks.   

Not to mention they are armor and can't get locked in combat.   You can easily convert them from deff koptas. 

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:35:31 AM »
I made a slight alteration to one of the lists that skeeter came up with (the rokkit buggy was only 40 pts and didn't take up enough room in the army)

Here is what the army list is looking like now:

HQ:
Big Mek
-Burna
-KFF
-Cybork

Troops:
(1): Boyz x19 (including Nob)
-Nob
-PK
-Bosspole
-Big Shoota

(2): Boyz x20 (including Nob)
-Nob
-PK
-Bosspole
-Big Shoota

(3): Boyz x12 (including Nob)
-Shoota's
-Nob
-PK
-Bosspole
-Big Shoota (on nob)

Fast Attack:
(1): Deff Kopta
-Twin-Linked Rokkits
-Buzzsaw

(2): Deff Kopta
-Twin-Linked Rokkits
-Buzzsaw

Heavy:
(1) Battlewagon:
-Big Shoota x1
-Deff Rolla
-Grot Rigger
-Red Paint Job

(2) Battlewagon
-Big Shoota x1
-Deff Rolla
-Grot Rigger
-Red Paint Job

Total PTS: 996

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 07:59:40 AM »
I think you forgot the truck for the 12 boys,  ;) Other than that it looks like a darn fine list that you should be able to wage waagh with. Good stuff, make sure to check out adamscurr's post where you will find he took his "had to go legal" list and made it very killy.  8)

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
sorry forgot to list the truck but not in the points. I will check out that list also but now I have a boss to paint and a second battlewagon to make (still have to finish painting my first one too!)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
While 12 boys on foot pretending to ride in a truck is funny, I don't think they will do very well.  :'(

Drop one green baron, and add in the truck with ram and plank. Then if you have a spare death copter, convert it into a Rayvn70 buggy, but you will have to drop the big shootas from the boys to get the rest of the points.

The Rayvn70 buggy can be found here

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
Some good conversation going on here!

I wanted to add that rokkit buggies are really good...  I like them so much I run at least 6 in every army...  They are cheap AT that can be used for a lot of other purposes than just shooting... 

Here is my tactica on warbuggies...  In case you want to add any later on!

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=989

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
Ran the list with two deff koptas (and the trukk i forgot to write in) and lost turn 1 against chaos demons. He got my first battlewagon and the boyz inside with his soul grinder and his demon prince got the trukk. After that it was my mistake to try to take out his dekon prince with the other battlewagon which faild the dangerous terrian test. Wasnt really worth playing at that point.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »
Wow...  Sounds like some terrible luck...  Demons will be tough in some cases that they can DS and hit that back armor on the BW's...  One tactic is to put them in a kind of V formation in the corner...  He won't risk DSing them behind you for fear of going of the board...  So they can only shoot at the sides...  Then you assault after they drop...

Adam

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:27:05 PM by adamscurr »

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 02:25:19 AM »
Yeah that's kinda what happened. I made it so that that he couldn't get the rear but he got the side. Are there any real ways to deal with deamons (might be playing him again next week)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
Demons are a tough opponent in the hands of a skilled player. It is literally a case of getting the right unit to the right spot to maximize your units skills. For example a nob squad will easily tear up a blood letter squad, but a boy squad will get chopped into lunch by them. But if your nobs are busy trying to take out the deamonettes, while boys are trying to fight blood letters, and grots are taking on the screamers, then you have just handed them the game.

Since demons can only come in half of their army at a time, you have the opportunity to pick and choose what you want to krump. You will have local force superiority right off the get go, make sure to use it. Otherwise, you hand control of the game over to your opponent, and you end up with a "didn't lose" kinda game.