News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48622 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Bwahaha!!
That's priceless, mate. Chop off a limb for a snack and replace it wi... I'm looking at my neighbor's chickens in a brand new light.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Man that is hilarious and grotesque... I love it. That is absolutely classic... I'd love to have my Cyber Mastiff throw down with that little dude. Great stuff as always my friend. This little band is looking great
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Cool Crow-Dog Ynnead. Really cool.

Now, tell me again, how's your therapy going?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Orange

Wow, creepy creepy stuff, love it.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks guys ;)

I in no way hold myself responsible for the demise of your neighbour's fowl Dann ;)

Oh, and pretty hard for the therapist to get a word in edgeways while I'm wittering on about creepy crow-pig-dogs and whatnot ;)

Well, I'd love to show you guys a WIP pic of the next member of this little scavenger band, but I've managed to melt the camera on my phone. Pro-tip: if you're crouching above a puddle that may well be petrol, don't use a battery drill to drill a drain hole. They spark when they stop moving. Face is a little crispy, but otherwise ok ;) can't say the same for the camera (although the rest of the phone is remarkably fine for being in the midst of a petrol fire for a minute or so).

I say that you're allowed one major lapse in judgement per year. Slightly surprised it's taken this long this year ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynnead!
Ouch! glad to hear everything is ok. Your face is the last place you want a burn scare... Be well!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Omg, Ynnead, please be careful! We need you here ;)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Pro-tip is not to drill anywhere near petrol with anything. A guy that lived down the road from me ended up being air lifted to hospital because he lit a car up when he was working in a pit. He is lucky to be alive. Always use sand to soak the petrol up and remove the sand before starting work.

While your face is important I think this site would suffer more if you damaged your hands.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Pro-tip: if you're crouching above a puddle that may well be petrol, don't use a battery drill to drill a drain hole.

You are a Berk. Look after yourself
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Jeez! Be careful man! Plus your camera got wrecked on top of it? Brutal... glad you are doing well though. Hope you can find a replacement for your camera my friend.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
ouch, but sounds lie a luck escape and didn't set yourself or the house on fire.

Crow-dog thing looks weird but in a good way :) Would look awesome as a beast pack too.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Nail->head there Loosh. I am most certainly a berk ;)

Thanks for the well wishes guys :) 100% a lucky escape. Ordered 4 more fire extinguishers before touching anything even vaguely hot again ;)

Hope your neighbour is ok now Alienscar. Sounds pretty nasty! We've got a pit too and I've always been careful around not going down in it when there's a fire risk (or gases that are heavier than air). Makes it aĺl the more odd as to my lapse in judgement...

Hands I'm extra careful around already (again thanks to hurting them before). Messed up some ligaments pickaxing some ground (had surprise rocks in) and had to go easy on the left hand for a month or so. Not sure how people cope so well with just one hand. Every single thing you do is harder. Even just doing the zip up on your trousers (seriously, try it with one hand).

So yeah. Damaging your face messes up your social life (if you have judgemental friends). Damaging your hands messes up pretty much everything (the only hobbies I can think of that don't involve hands are singing and running and I'm no good at either...).

Enough warnings for one day though! here's the latest creation:

I forget you're an udlænding. That's a Sleipnir. Quite common around these parts.

The Fenrisians, both Kearls and wildlings, use them for recon and warhorses. Trade them with folks in neighbouring systems as well. Not sure how the Crows got them though. Probably stole them I expect.

Thought I'd tie in some more Norse mythology with my dudes. There are a number of mythological animals surrounding Odin, which I've based these guys loosely around. The first of which are his Wolves, Geri and Freki, represented by the Vlka Fenryka. The second of which are his Ravens, Huginn and Muninn, represented by my crows. Another is his mythical steed, Sleipnir, the 8-legged horse. Thought that would be a good basis for a xenos/gene-modified steed of some sort for Kearls and Wildlings :)

Apologies for the murky pictures. Thanks to my melty camera I've been scrambling to find another setup that works before Iron Sleet's deadline on the 3rd! The above are from my Canon point-and-shoot, and the below are a couple from my mate's phone and some other trials with lighting. Not sure what works best...

Parent's phone (pretty similar to mine, maybe washed out a bit but can't quite work out):

Point-and-shoot (not enough light for this one, although it does look atmospheric):

Point-and-shoot with additional lighting:

Point-and-shoot with attempt at moonlit-look:

Mate's camera-phone:

Offline Saim-Dann

Niiiiice!
Looking good,"Scar Face". Giving the Cavalry a hairless appearance is a nice touch, Mate. They are all eye-catching. The different camera pics look like the same army taken at different times of the day.

Some pre-battle, some post. Would have made a great story... Hint hint! Thanks for sharing, Ynead. Always look forward to your posts and you never disappoint... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Great new addition to the collection Ynnead. Really love it... that horse is phenomenal. The modeling is top notch as ever and I just love the way you've painted him too. Really blowing it out of the water my friend. Great stuff as always Ynnead hope you are feeling better bud. And hope your friends are busting your chops to hard!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Awesome conversions, I don't think I ever saw anything quite so distinctly grim-dark as these guys. Fantastic job, as always :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Haha I won't tell my mates about the 'scarface' quip. I'll never hear the end of it ;)

Glad you like the creepy horse thing :) deadline for submission to Iron Sleet is looming so I've got to make some tricky choices as to which 5 models to include. I like the front pair, and the fighter is good too. Crow-priest is a must, and I'd like to include the Sleipnir...but I also like my little dude investigating the severed hand...

Gah too tricky!

The deadline won't be the end for these guys though :) I've got a box of the new Escher gangers on the way in an effort to inject some gender-variety into the little troupe :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
I can just picture the dinner table now, bit of Sleipnir leg, some crow-dog... :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
I can just picture the dinner table now, bit of Sleipnir leg, some crow-dog... :)

...misc bit of leg scavenged from a battlefield with a suspiciously wolfy tattoo ;)

Offline Orange

Really nice work.

They remind me of the artist Brom's* work, if you're familiar with it--all muted colours, muscles and leather!

*though fair warning, if oyu look it up, some up it is a bit NSFW

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks man :)

I'm not familiar with them, but I'll leave it until after work to look them up ;)

Tested the first trial run of photos for Iron Sleet :) still think they're a little too dark, even with some additional lighting. What do people think? Not sure my point-and-shoot agrees with low-light indoor stuff particularly well.

I've also finally got round to adding a little snow to the bases :) I'd always intended them to be sifting through snow-covered moon surface. Actually the whole landscape I'm picturing them in is inspired by a trip to Iceland. Crumbly jet-black volcanic sand covered in crisp snow, sparse vegetation clinging on.

And the whole group so far :)