News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 71118 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
You didn't have to play with cards.  You could have used dice, rolled on the table, and written down the result for record keeping.  The cards just made it easier and faster.

Plus, I got to show off my sick shuffling abilities.  You'd be amazed at how many people can't properly shuffle a deck of cards...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
You didn't have to play with cards.  You could have used dice, rolled on the table, and written down the result for record keeping.  The cards just made it easier and faster.

Plus, I got to show off my sick shuffling abilities.  You'd be amazed at how many people can't properly shuffle a deck of cards...

Oh, yes, you could have done it an *even worse* way, true.  ;)

Maelstrom was a fine idea with a amphetamine parrotty execution. Hated those missions, hated that playstyle, and will throw a little party for myself when it's dead and gone.

If there's one thing I hope this edition delivers, it is less pointless randomness for the sake of it. 

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 09:01:45 AM »
You'd be amazed at how many people can't properly shuffle a deck of cards...

That would be me.  I always used to let my friends do the shuffling back when we played second edition and you had to use the psychic phase cards.

The unit profiles is the change that I am most enthused about thus far.  I am very pleased to see that GW has decided to remove the 'ten cap' and that they are going to make more use of the wound characteristic to reflect the durability of certain units.  Retaining strength and toughness is also positive for 40K, given the diversity of weapons and armour.

Command points also look potentially very interesting and tactical.  Learning when and how to spend them seems as though it will make for a more dynamic game, which is encouraging.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
Weapon Profiles are up on the community page! So far I'm liking what I see. They show a Flamer, a Boltgun and a Laser Cannon. Flame "templates" are looking good, and so are the Armor Save modifiers. I think this will allow them to do much more unique weapon stats and the mentioning of 10+ Strentgh (and with that some brutal save modifiers) makes me guess that certain weapons on vehicles might indeed become very powerful.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »
I don't see how the maelstrom cards will be obsolete. Nothing on the cards are that relevant to what's been changed.

Have you all seen the list of what will become redundant once the new edition is launched?

Pyschic and Tactical Objective cards are on the list so not sure if this would include Maelstrom
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:41:38 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »
I have read a few of the rumor boards and a bit of the GW boards as well. I am looking forward to the new one as it seems to be a lot less complicated. No more having to have note cards for playing a game so you can keep track of what is dead and what is not.

Being a bit of a bookkeeper (lol) I find that having to keep a running book while playing a game to be a bit dull, it is more fun to know that your boss just killed the tank rather than causing 4 hull points of damage and then having to roll to see if it is a critical hit to get the explosion that all orks live for.

Hopefully this will revive 40k as it has kinda died out in my area, and I have to drive more than an hour to play a game.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 01:44:49 PM »
Nice to hear Strength D is gone--always hated that.

Kinda expected the stats on the flamer, but I'm rather disappointed at their own assessment of it. 1D6 auto hits is not as good as an 8" flamer template. At all. The fact that they have no armor mod also sucks (Orks and Guardsmen rejoice!). Strong chance I'll be binning flamers unless I can stack more than one in a unit.

This indicates my initial suspicion that this may be the era of the Heavy Weapon (a return to the halcyon days of 2nd Ed) may be correct. If so, I'm prepared to run guard and have a hell of a good time.   

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »
I don't know about flat 'not better'. They are both different. The auto-hits are guaranteed, where as the template at 8" would probably just hit one model.

Hard to say how good weapons are, without context of the points and anything else. Could be that flamers are a free upgrade over bolters, instead of 5pts for example.

I think it's cool to see the new mechanics without rumours, but I'm going to withhold any bold judgements until I can look at the rules holistically. I think we might see the rules for pre-order this weekend or next.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
Man one of the most awesome things revealed so far, is Terminators with two wounds! So stoked I went all in on a decked out squad of FW Terminators for my Dark Angels. Such a huge improvement. At least it appears so in a vacuum. Really cannot wait to see where things go...

Also how about D6 wound Lascannons? Hooo doggy that looks sweet!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »
Nice to hear Strength D is gone--always hated that.

Kinda expected the stats on the flamer, but I'm rather disappointed at their own assessment of it. 1D6 auto hits is not as good as an 8" flamer template. At all. The fact that they have no armor mod also sucks (Orks and Guardsmen rejoice!). Strong chance I'll be binning flamers unless I can stack more than one in a unit.

Strength D will have simply changed, I'm betting it will just have a Strength value over 10 and if a Lascannon does D6 wounds..

If a flamer and thus everything that used the flamer template is going to be D6 hits, then it could be very interesting against single model targets. To be fair though, an average of 3-4 hits from the flamer template is about right.

The Boltgun also seems to be missing an armour modifier.. Dark Eldar player must be cheering lol.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »
How's everyone feeling about the details?  I'm pretty stoked myself.  ;D

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2017, 06:53:35 PM »
The difference between a D6 and a flamer template is simply reliability. You can guarantee 3-4 hits every time you use a flamer at optimal range. Now, no such animal. You *average* 3.5 over the whole course of you using flamers (forever), but that changes them from "consistently solid" to "sporadic." It's a downgrade.

Now, I hadn't considered its use against a single target, honestly. That *is* a bit better. Though it doesn't quite fulfill the same role the flamer used to have.

And yes, all of this will depend on points costs. Not currently enthused, though. My record with random rolls like this is truly abysmal.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2017, 07:05:29 PM »
As far as flamers go, I think the number able to be taken in a squad as well as the mechanic for rolling for them are two factors we don't yet know the details of.

If you can take, say, a flamer as a free upgrade over a lasgun in any guardian squad*? And what if the total number of hits is Nd6 where N = the number of flamers in the squad, vs rolling for each flamer? If you take 10 flamers, and then roll 10 dice and add them up.. statistically you get much closer to the mean. Two things we simply don't know right now but could make a difference in the effectiveness of the weapon.

Overall, I am very much enjoying the direction the game is going, and am ecstatic I took the time and effort to magnetize my newly acquired wraithknight

*Please note, that is a hypothetical and not something I see as actually happening - just pointing out there is a bit we don't know yet
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »
I'm very disappointed on those weapon profiles, random amount of hits and random amount of wounds. Why take away dicerolls with one hand and then add them with the other hand. :(

Flamers being more effective against single models than groups is utterly stupid. Horde armies rejoice. I may just have to start a grot army.

I wonder if D-scythes will be Assault D6 S11 -4 D6, that would make a unit of 5 Wraithguards cause between 5 and 180 wounds which is ridiculous IMHO.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »
I'm very disappointed on those weapon profiles, random amount of hits and random amount of wounds. Why take away dicerolls with one hand and then add them with the other hand. :(

Flamers being more effective against single models than groups is utterly stupid. Horde armies rejoice. I may just have to start a grot army.

I wonder if D-scythes will be Assault D6 S11 -4 D6, that would make a unit of 5 Wraithguards cause between 5 and 180 wounds which is ridiculous IMHO.

I don't think that d6 auto hits is that bad against Infantry. Odds are an average of 3 hits. Not bad, and about par for the course usually with flamers.

Also, I'd wait until the rules are released before making any hasty judgments. How the weapon looks in a vacuum, may be different then how it looks In context to the rest of the rules.

Also, feel free to build a grot army. Could be a fun modeling project.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2017, 04:07:50 AM »
The Boltgun also seems to be missing an armour modifier.. Dark Eldar player must be cheering lol.

IMHO that was the right thing to do. The Bolter is one if not the most common weapon in the game. 5+ Save Armies would at least get some sort of roll, still not a great chance of survival. A -1 modifier would have made Power Armor and Terminator armor much worse than they were so far and granting those Orks their 6+ Save against a regualr Bolter is fair in my view.

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2017, 05:20:13 AM »
What bothers me about the weapon profiles is that they seem to be introducing more dice rolling and more randomisation.  One of the major problems with recent editions of 40K has been too much dice rolling, yet they want to make more weapons have to roll for the number of hits or wounds inflicted.  I'm not keen on this, as I think that it will introduce too much unreliability and slow the game down.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2017, 06:03:23 AM »
I think the theory is that the die roll will take less time than any given template. Not certain I agree, but it *is* simpler in execution.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2017, 06:12:11 AM »
Maelstrom isn't going, it was talked about there still being 2 mission types; Eternal War and Maelstrom.
Which makes me happy- Maelstrom is the single greatest thing ever added to the game, absolutely love it! :D

Overall the game is going to get more stream-lined and quicker to play. So the odd extra dice roll here and there isn't going to make a difference. And no more need to sit there with a template deciding in which position you can get the most hits, trying to see how many guys are under the marker when it's in the middle of the board, and less arguing/discussing exactly how many are hit. :)

I love vehicles having T and W- just unifies everything nicely which is great.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2017, 06:19:59 AM »
@Killersquid: They explicitly say that a flamers will hit single models several times, that's what I have a problem with. I think 3.5 hits (which is the average) with a flamer is fine though, but it could be achieved by D2+2 or D4+1 rather than a D6. Even a flat 3 or 4 would be better, I'm leaning towards 4 since they have no save modifier, that might become a houserule. maybe something like if the player that got hit wants to take a flat number it's 4 hits, and if the player that shot wants it, it's a flat 3.

I'm not going to jump the gun yet, but grots in battlewagons are already a quite fun concept IMO.

As for modelling, it will likely be 300 models in snot green paint.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.