News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63611 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #160 on: March 4, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »
That's awesome Ynnead! I mean, who cares that you borrowed the idea from elsewhere, I'm sure that plenty of folk will borrow some of your ideas at some stage too, so it evens out!

I love both versions, but yours definitely suits your army a lot better. It's just more...disturbing.

Execution is 10/10 as always. Excellent work.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #161 on: March 4, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »
Thanks dude!

Yeah personally I ascribe to the 'Adeptus Mechanicus' interpretation of human creativity. That being that 99% of all things that can be thought of have been thought of, and all that creativity is is mixing up those things you've already seen in a novel enough combination to appear new :)

I just feel like if I've lifted something wholesale I should at least credit the person I've lifted it from!

If anyone does want to use any of my ideas then I'd be nothing but flattered :)

I've actually changed the mask now to something more Harlequin which I do prefer, but maybe I'll have a go at transplanting the tongue-out lower jaw onto a Harlie mask to keep the 'disturbing' feel about it. Definitely like that as a descriptor for my army!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #162 on: March 4, 2017, 07:07:35 PM »
Edit: Changed the mask for a Harlie one and it's definitely better :)

Another stunning model. It kind of looks like it's taken the mask off, to have a blank face underneath, that's gonna freak some people out :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #163 on: March 4, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »
Thanks man!

Yeah I thought that was freaky about it when I saw Rolling's model :)

Came up with the idea that the mask mouths along with whatever the Spiritseer's saying, whether she's wearing it or not :)

Ooh, how about the Mask of Secrets whispers of its own accord, telling you secrets about yourself that are horrifying to know :)

It has to cause Fear somehow after all ;)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #164 on: March 5, 2017, 07:50:19 AM »
Wowzers....love this conversion man. Brilliant! I've got a whole mess of those masks in my bits box.... can't wait to use them. I actually prefer the Dark Elf Wych mask... its a little more 3D a little more archaic looking... Killer work as always. Love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #165 on: March 5, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
Thanks man! Yeah I've got load of the things knocking around too so it's nice to find a use for them!

Yeah the Witch Elf mask in isolation was better looking, but the Harlie mask makes it feel more like a Shadowseer so I'm happier with it :)

Was great fun hanging with you guys in the hangout today :) got loads of painting done all the while shooting the breeze about various 40k bits and pieces :) great fun :)

Who was it that wanted pics of what we were painting? These are how my Voidstorms looked when we finished:

...and this is how they look now :)

Fluff too!

For a few tense moments Mohruin and the Slaaneshi Marine circled each other, sizing up their opponent. Without warning, the augmented human lunged. Combat knife met venom blade, sparks skittering as Mohruin parried wildly. This mon keigh was fast. He hadn't been expecting that. Blows rained down upon him as the astartes set to work with savage glee. It was all he could do to avoid being torn asunder by the ferocious assault. Disengaging for a split second he keyed the command for his drug dispenser. Hypex flooded his circulatory system, wrenching him into a state of hyper-consciousness. The sound of his accelerated breathing assaulted his senses. The colours of his surroundings stung his unblinking eyes. Nerves searing with the speed of their reaction he set about his counter-attack. Strikes rang out like church bells to his enhanced senses, chunks of ceramite exploding where he outmanouvered his foe. His movements were ragged, twitchy...but fast. Blindingly fast. Subconsciously he found himself subtly manipulating the anti-gravity generators in his jetpack, jerking clear of snarling counter-strikes. Veering away from a vertical strike, he clasped his sword in both shaking hands and violently activated his thrusters to lend momentum to his sideways strike.

He staggered aside as the astartes' torso slid apart. The sound of his rapid heartbeat thundered in his ears, red dots clouded his vision where blood vessels had burst. Fingers twitching erratically, he keyed the drug dispenser to release the anti-venom into his bloodstream. Twitches and tics calming, he paused for a second to recover his breath. "Sweet dreaming Lileath that was exhilarating", he muttered in awe.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2017, 08:10:21 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #166 on: March 5, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
nice colour scheme, the scourge heads set them apart, while the mix or armoured limbs gives them a nice pirate feel as they salvage parts from the fallen :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #167 on: March 5, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Thanks man :) I hadn't thought of the idea that they looked like they'd been salvaging stuff.

That's an interesting idea to go down the rabbit hole conversion-wise actually. 'Scavengers' isn't normally something you'd associate with Eldar, but would be really fun to make a Corsair army themed around, or a Hellion street gang perhaps :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #168 on: March 5, 2017, 10:15:07 PM »
I see pirates as just using whatever they get their hands on, like retrofitting heavy weapons from CWE or DE onto jetbikes or the mixing up of rifles and pistols from either. Kind of wish I diversified the colour scheme more now that I think about it.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #169 on: March 6, 2017, 05:17:07 AM »
I love those Voidstorms. I agree with magenb that the Scourge heads just look terrific on them. The colour scheme is great (It's kinda the opposite of Cav's scheme, so it was always going to work!), but you've achieved a really nice finish - really clean execution.

Nice work Ynnead, keep it coming!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #170 on: March 6, 2017, 06:53:44 AM »
They look absolutely awesome Ynnead. The use of bits is just killer and the paint jobs are ultra clean. I really love the blade wings too... they look perfect on these models... the mohawks on the Scourge helmets really jive with them... tying them all together.

I've got about 10 Scourge helmets I've just been waiting to use... this unit is really giving the bug to figure out a use for them.

If you want Brian aka Evil Space Elves is looking to post all the pics on the Splintermind FB page. He made a post of it... and you can just hop on and post in the comments like Josh did. Killer work man... just love this unit. Keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #171 on: March 6, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
Wowzers....love this conversion man. Brilliant! I've got a whole mess of those masks in my bits box.... can't wait to use them. I actually prefer the Dark Elf Wych mask... its a little more 3D a little more archaic looking... Killer work as always. Love it!

I agree with Cavalier Ynneadwraith I prefer the Dark Elf mask to the Harlie mask. Not only is the Harlie mask a bit bland but I can't help thinking that the other mask tells more of a story. From the little I have read about Veilwalker I am not sure she can be trusted (can any Harlie?) so for me the Dark Elf mask coupled with the faceless head sums up this duality of character perfectly.

Lovin' your little fluff piece about the drug fuelled fight. Reads very well and I like how you portrayed the effects of the drugs.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 12:15:57 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #172 on: March 6, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
Thanks guys!

@Magenb I quite like your colour scheme, so don't go changing it too much ;) I wonder if going for a darker shade of blue painted asymetrically every now and again would work nicely. Like one leg and the opposite arm painted darker. Helps give it a bit more a cobbled together look :) worth testing out on a model to see if you like it :)

@Loosh and CavGlad you like the paintwork :) means a lot coming from you two! You are right, it is sort of a mirror of Cav's scheme... I wonder if that was a subconscious choice ;)

I'm really glad I stumbled upon the blade wings :) there's tons of them around as everyone that's ever built a Raider has them lying about, and while I love the look of the FW jet packs I can't help but imagine they'd get wedged in corridors during boarding actions! Unless they fold of course...

If it helps, the models that first grabbed my attention from your army Cav was the (sadly departed I believe) Scourge-headed Banshees. I've also been wondering whether that there is actually an at least mildly competitive tactical place in an Eldar army for them. They've got a ton going for them, I reckon they just don't fit well with how most people run CC squads (which is basically throw them at the enemy's face).

I reckon that they'd make brilliant flank guards on foot. As they can basically ignore cover, have a halfway decent killy exarch (with executioner), and have really solid movement with their +3" run and battle-focus they can project a reasonable threat bubble on a flank somewhere. All the while being relatively low on the target priority list.

A bit like Incubi for DEldar. Don't stack up competitively compared to Grotesques (not by much though), but used in little 3-man squads with a Klaivex in a Venom they can be really excellent counter-charge dudes :)

@Alienscar Interesting. I may have to go back to the Dark Elf mask and try and find another way to hammer home the 'Harlequin' look of her. Perhaps just another normal mask hanging from her belt would do it...

Glad you like the fluff piece! I was thinking about combat drugs before writing it, and how it's the Dark Eldar that are making them. They're not going to be 'smoke this it'll make you see funky colours' drugs. They're going to be so intense that they're downright painful, but so utterly exhilarating that it's worth it. That alongside the distinct feeling that if you're on them for more than a fleeting moment they'll probably kill you ;)
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 10:23:29 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #173 on: March 7, 2017, 01:02:48 AM »
Oh man, absolutely loving these Voidstorm updates -- they look gorgeous! Just the right amount of bits and mixing to hit some great shapes and poses. Great work as always, loving the paintjobs.
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #174 on: March 7, 2017, 04:15:49 PM »
Thanks dude! Glad you like them :)

Had some bits arrive today that I'd been waiting for for ages it seems! So, without further ado:

The vat-born gladiator stood in the dank unfamiliar room, her finely honed body still glistening with fluid from the amniotic chamber. Noticing that she was not alone, Khali sprawled out low to the ground, feet spaced wide and steadied by a third hand planted on the ground, head cocked to one side. Her hooked lower arm extended out to the side, and the upper raising a curved knife above her head, evoking primal visions of scorpions in the mind of the Astartes before her.

The grav-shackles released with a clank and the Astartes bolted forwards, snatching a long serrated blade from the chamber floor. The hulking human settled into a well-honed combat stance, the dried blood of its previous adversaries caked into its matted hair. The Astartes lunged forwards, blade searching for purchase on Khali's frame, but she was quick to dodge this first strike. The augmented brute circled around, wrapping a chain around its free hand. Khali leapt out, catching the warrior by surprise and raking her knife across its forearm. She rebounded from the wall behind and landed a double-armed jab on her opponents torso. Barely registering this assault, the Astartes lashed out with a brutal punch, ribs cracking beneath its slab-like fist, throwing Khali across the room. Coughing blood, she staggered to her feet just in time to avoid another strike as the Astartes pressed its advantage. She sunk her knife into its leg, which elicited a grunt of pain but not much else, and the Astartes swung its blade wide nearly cleaving her in twain. Khali blocked another haymaker, gasping in pain as her forearm broke beneath the blow. Rebounding from the blow, she pirhouetted fast. Lashing out, her hook found purchase in the Astartes' throat. Momentum tore through muscles and arteries in a great gout of blood and the formidable soldier slumped to the ground. Staggerring sideways she stumbled to one knee, taking deep shuddering breaths. Bloodied and broken, but alive.

In the shadows behind her, an arachnid-like Haemonculus scrawled into her research notes. 'Subject K-46...shows promise'.

She's based on this brilliant Lelith conversion by Eye of Error:

I hope I've done it justice!

I also had some Wych legs turn up, so thought I'd do a little step-by-step for my next Bloodbride :) hopefully they're simple enough that it won't put people off from trying, but enough to show people some tips :)

So, to kick it off, the tools of the trade :)

Pair of electrical clippers (have a wedged cutting edge rather than a flat one like hobby clippers which is worse! Not sure why I've not bought a pair of proper clippers yet), plastic glue and a very large reasonably sharp knife. I tried a scalpel/hobby knife a while ago and managed to snap the blade. Personally I prefer the hunting knife as it's actually a bit safer. There's more surface area to hold it by, and it's easier to get leverage on without slipping. Probably more importantly, it's what I'm comfortable with. Oh, and there's a dremel too but I don't use that for most conversions :)

Anyway, enough about the wrong tools for the job...

Here's what we start with:

Wych legs and a couple of Wych kits with most of the bits picked off them (one kit would do, but I don't have a full one left).

Might seem simple, but legs go down first. They're the only fixed part of a multi-pose model, so the whole pose will stem from what the legs look like.

Then bodies go on. I always find that putting a body on at a degree of rotation, even if it's just a slight one, helps with making a pose look both natural and dynamic. Since these guys are running full-tilt, they get quite a big degree of rotation. It's also good to vary up which way they face :)

Then, we get to the main bit I wanted to use in the first place. Razorflails!

Here's where the trick to 4-armed stuff comes in :) You cut off the rounded bit at the top of the shoulder to make a flat face like so:

...and stick it to the body using that new flat edge. That gap below we'll use to fit the lower arm.

Now, this frankly godawful picture is where the other Razorflail arm wants to sit, which won't quite work for us. Not only did it not really look in the right position compared to the other arm now (if in doubt about a pose, I find that physically acting it out helps you to get where your various body parts sit naturally), but there's also no space for the lower arm. A bit of holding it up in different places got to where I want it to be:

So, clip off the rounded end a bit. I also found that there wasn't much space for the lower arm to wedge in so I shaved the underside of the arm joint to make is slimmer.

More holding it in place showed that it still didn't seem high enough, fouling on the leading edge of the shoulder pad so that had to go.

And glued in place :) with a space to wedge the lower arm in again :)

Now, if you were just reposing you could fill those gaps in with GS. But for these guys, we'll use these :)

Took a little bit of sifting through bits to get the right arms. One of the things I wanted to do on these is to have each pair of arms (upper and lower) mirror each other somewhat in pose. I tried just picking out cool arms, and they just look like they were flailing wildly windmilling all over the place. With paired poses, they look much more cohesive :)

So, hold it up in place to see what sort of angle you want to cut...

...cut the end of the arm into a wedge shape...

...realise you've cut it wrong and the arm's much further back in its swing than you planned...

...look at it from a couple of angles and decide that it looks cool anyway so glue it in place ;)

With a bit of work shaping and trialling the wedge you can get it to fit quite snugly which will prevent the need for GS.

Then, repeat the procedure with the other arm :) hold in place to get the wedge shape. Cut it. Skim it down so it fits snugly and glue it in place :)

Last thing to go on is the head :) most of the time I'll spend a little while holding the head in different positions to see what looks cool, but this one was obvious. If he's hitting something with his sword then he's going to be looking at what he's hitting.

And done!

Hope that was helpful :)

Also got the bits to finish the Shardnet Bloodbride I'd mostly done :)

And all three done so far :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #175 on: March 7, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
That Lelith conversion is amazing. Sublime conversion work and a brilliant paint job to match. It's a really terrific piece (That incidentally fits your Rogue Trader vibe almost better than your Eldar vibe!).

Thank you a million times over for that Step By Step. That's exactly what we need more of in the hobby boards, as it may well inspire others to try their own conversion work. Informative, helpful...and the model at the end is kickass, so there's that too!

Cheers Ynnead, brilliant post.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #176 on: March 7, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
yes, that is quite beautiful. Bravo!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #177 on: March 7, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »
very nice. I could see some custome warpspiders comming out of that as well.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #178 on: March 8, 2017, 07:00:27 AM »
Wow! Sick! The finished guy at the top is beyond awesome! So dark, disturbing, brutal and gritty... I really love this. Incredible work Ynnead... killer modelling, love the step-by-step, but the paint job at the end takes it above and beyond. Incredible!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #179 on: March 8, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »
Thanks guys! :)

@Looshkin I'm glad you found it helpful :) I've got another one half-written up about a Truescale Marine which I've nearly finished, but that turned out to be a bit of a nightmare! Not because it should have been difficult, but because I never quite had the right bit for what I wanted!

You're right on them fitting the R/T vibe too :) I was thinking actually that I should scrap the idea of having the Rogue Traders operating on a spaceport, and have them operating from another desert world. Base everything the same and I can flit models back and forth as and when I please.

Plus, that way I don't have to get extra basing materials ;)

I'll endeavour to do a little WIP thing with each update, even if just for one of the models I'm making :) anything that helps other people get into modelling a little more. I must admit I did find it fairly intimidating looking at some of the more impressive conversions around (and still do when it comes to sculpting stuff!). Anything that shows it for what it really is (easier than it looks) I'm happy to provide :)

@vonny Thanks man :) I'm liking your Skaven too btw. Skintones look especially nice :)

@Magenb Yeah agreed, especially the dudette with Hydra Gauntlets.

TBH, I'm holding off on converting up some plastic aspect warriors as I've got a (probably vain) hope that they'll release plastic aspect kits at some point. If they do I'll probably have to remortgage the house, but it'll be fun until the bailiffs come round ;)

@Cav Glad you like them :) and glad the step-by-step was useful. It does about double the time it takes to make a model, but to be honest that mainly stops me from trying to stick the arms on before the torso's stuck in place enough so I'm taking it as a positive thing ;)

Glad you like the paintjob too! :)