News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Living Greyhawk  (Read 740 times)

Offline Sybarite24

Living Greyhawk
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:14:18 PM »
Somebody recently came into my store (i own a RT gaming store) and brought up the idea of hosting Living Greyhawk.  It sounded pretty cool, and i was wondering what people thought of hosting it would be like for me.  I wouldn't run it, the person who brought it to me volunteered that with a few of his friends.

It sounds fun, I used to play Greyhawk in 2nd edition.  I'm hoping that it is something that is popular and might help push sales of D&D, dice, and perhaps miniatures.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this seems like a good idea to run with, or is it more suited to a home game?
Sybarite of Blood Company from the Kabal of the Coveters of Torment.

Fighting the Left, doing it Right!

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
Re: Living Greyhawk
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:19:58 AM »
I know this is noobish, but what Is greyhawk? Ive only been playing a few years now... :-\

Mr.Squid
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline Werwolf Traitor

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 03:25:00 AM »
Is it some kind of RPG?

Offline Sybarite24

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:27:25 PM »
It's D&D.  It's a realm, like Forgotten Realms, or Ebboron or the like.

Offline Gromash

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:57:13 PM »
It's D&D.  It's a realm, like Forgotten Realms, or Eberron or the like.

of course he might not know what any of them are either :D

incase he doesnt:
Dungeons & Dragons is essentially generic, that is the rules themselves dont really* contain a specific setting.. you buy the rules, then you either buy a separate setting or make up your own.. Greyhawk was the first ever setting ~ back before D&D was even published, Greyhawk was the setting the designers were playing in.

* its an implied setting with elves and orcs and dwarves and such, but thats it, the only real setting specific things in the basic game are the gods list and a few wizard spells named after their creators ~ all of which are from Greyhawk

"Living" games are sort of authorised tournament roleplaying games run by the RPGA (Roleplaying Games Association), of which Living Greyhawk is one (there were about a dozen Living games on the go at one point i believe, most of them were D&D campaign settings, but there were a few other games aswell i believe)
Kindly bear in mind the difference between these two words:
Cannon noun A large heavy gun.
Canon noun A sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works.

Offline Werwolf Traitor

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 09:06:54 AM »
It's D&D.  It's a realm, like Forgotten Realms, or Ebboron or the like.

Really? Interesting, i never heard of it before, though ive played D&D for quite some time ...

Offline Sybarite24

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
here's a little more info on the realm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhawk

Offline Werwolf Traitor

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:29:37 AM »
Oh, great. Thx!

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 12:29:52 AM »
Greyhawk was the original D&D setting actually and most of the named spells i.e. Bigby's X spell was a wizard from the Greyhawk setting (unless they retconned that). Followed by Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms. Dont even get me started on Eberon.

I havent played D&D in a number of years now but I did start back in 2nd edition however we used our own setting then moved to Faerun. The only problem i see with the Grey Hawk setting is people especially younger people might go Greyhawk WTF?

Good luck with getting it started up though i mostly got out of the hobby as my long time gaming group sorta fell apart and was never able to get another one going.