News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vulkan Lives!  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Space Merlyn

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Pleidiol wyf
  • Armies: Eldar, Salamanders, 'Nids
Vulkan Lives!
« on: April 3, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »
The next Horus Heresy novel has been made available for pre-order:

Vulkan Lives (The Horus Heresy): Amazon.co.uk: Nick Kyme: Books

In the wake of the Dropsite Massacre at Isstvan V, the survivors of the Salamanders Legion searched long and hard for their fallen primarch, but to no avail. Little did they know that while Vulkan might have wished himself dead, he lives still. As the war continues without him, all eyes turn to Ultramar and Guilliman's new empire there, and Vulkan's sons are drawn into an insidious plot to end the Heresy by the most underhand means imaginable.

As a Salamanders fan, I can't wait for November to arrive to learn more on one of the big gaps in our background fluff. Nick Kyme did a solid job with the first two books in the Tome of Fire trilogy, though the third suffered with all the various plot threads he was trying to juggle. Here's hoping he doesn't suffer a similar fate here, given there'll be various existing HH threads he'll probably need to weave into this..

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
Re: Vulkan Lives!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:40:23 AM »
wow thats pretty cool! i like the cover art! HAMMMMERRR TIIIMMMEEE

:p very excited about that new book, i always wondered what happened to him, as with everyone else haha
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline Space Merlyn

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Pleidiol wyf
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Looks like the Sallies will be really feeling some heresy era love from Black Library. There are two further books in plan:

Scorched Earth - Nick Kyme - Novella (Salamanders searching for Vulkan on the plains of Istvaan V)

Shattered Legions - Various - Novel (Anthology about the Iron Hands, Salamanders, Raven Guard)

Sources: List of all future Horus Heresy Releases - + THE HORUS HERESY + - The Bolter and
and         Scorched Earth | Nick Kyme

Artwork for Scorched Earth in particular looks good:

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »
Nick Kyme is an interesting one. He's obvious, ponderous, in some cases boring, fanboyish, and his foreshadowing sucks*, yet for all that, i kind of liked them. They weren't great, and our own fiction boards have much better writers, but the story was enjoyable. When i read it in Beowulf. But i liked it none the less, the ponderousness to me, fits the Salamanders, I hope he's picked his game up, and that these books are good, rather than confined to the Battle of the Abyss section of my library.

Spoilers

(come on, Iago was a manipulative beslubber when Shakespeare wrote him, who didn't see that coming?, and Dra'Kir's name is two letters of Draken),
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Space Merlyn

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Pleidiol wyf
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
Just got my dirty mitts on the hardback version of Vulkan Lives. First time I've "upgraded" a HH novel, and doubt I'll do it again given it doubles the price (in UK at least). Just need to work my way through Angel Exterminatus and Betrayer before cracking on with this one..

Disappointed to see Scorched Earth got the same treatment as Promethean Sun, i.e. over the top limited edition only briefly available.. Just need to wait until the eventual paperback combo of these two novella comes out in a few years...

Offline johnboyire

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:21:23 PM »
Terrible book just read it,  not his best work