News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why do people dislike the Ultramarines?  (Read 15542 times)

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
Re: Why do people dislike the Ultramarines?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 11:45:10 AM »
come on guys- lets not mince words here- i hate ultra marines.
and so do many of you
i hate them because they are the best example of everything that is wrong with 40k - they are the lazy mans choice in most cases...  they have everything great - and are played only my newbies- i have little respect for marine players as it is - cept for space wolves and bloodangels, but ultramarines push it too far.

I hate the colour blue now, anyone notice how gulliman is the most boring primarch?, i dislike that they have such great characters, i dislike their fluff, i dislike that vanilla armies like this encourage newbies to be tactically inept; i mean walking forward and rolling higher than 2 on a dice is not a tactic- and suddenly any army that doesn't rely on their save are cheese? - go eat expletives

If you have trouble beating them, thats your problem... I don't.

Actually if you look at his siggy youll notice that hes a DE player. DE has no problem what so ever to beat marines. In faq I have heard more then a hundred times that ppl claim that DE are the ultimate anti marine race. Still have to figure out why though they are good versus every race not just one.

Anyway. All teh pts have already been summed up.

I personally hate them for their uber promotion. They are pushed into every starters his arms and told how wonderfull they are. After that you get to see brainwashed noobs that has been brainswashed by brainless GW personall screaming with him about the mindless SM. . .

I think that overall the DE players will complain most about the marine players. Its just like the one kid that has it all and the other one that has nothing. Sounds familiar? Well is ALMOST the same with SM and DE. SM get uberpromtion and are being told how great they are. DE get little to no attention and are told that they are one of the worst armies around.

GW makes uber 1337 fluff for marines. GW screws up every bit of DE fluff out there.

GW makes cool looking models for SM. GW turned a one week sculpting project into a race called DE.

GW gives SM everything they want. Ordenance high S weapons assault troops cheap troops infiltrating units bikes cheap speeders tanks blablabla. DE get a lmited choice of units.

GW kinda makes the new rules in favour of the marines. GW crushes the DE raider rush with the new rules.

GW publishes articles in the WD where SM ''have awsome advantages toward other races''. GW says that if you are playing with DE and facing orks or IG you better hope for a draw.

etc etc etc etc. Tons of reasons. DE players ain't whiners but they are the opposite of the SM players. And thats one of the major reasons why (at least as far as I know) DE players hate SM players.

Don't get me wrong. The best player is a marine/tau/LATD player but 80% of the marine players are starters that spoil the reputation of the SM vets.

Offline Pvt. Mungus

• A man with a plan...
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 12:12:42 PM »
It's the 'hooray for the Ultramarines, they'll save the day!' all the time that gets me...

Like with the cadians, you know....

GW just makes one formation/chapter, points at them, and says "dems da best!", then they repeat it at every oppertunity.... gah!
The Underempire

This is war, not soccer. It could be soccer, but like monkey knife fight soccer, and really expensive.

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 12:17:56 PM »
i have a player in my store who runs Blood angels. He refuses to own anything blue, becuase of the UM.

to be honest the marines are the best army. simple as that. No model is poor. Before you say it " my (enter fancy unit here) can thrash them into the ground. Yes they probably can, but overall the best stats, best equipment, all rounded vehicles, best skills and traits belong to the space marines.

Thats why people buy them and use them. For noobs they are easy and they can be devastating in the hands of a veteran.
T4 and 3+ save is good simple as that. That is why most players in tourneys use MEQs. Simply because they are versatile, effective, can be easily customised due to massive number of models available etc.

Ultra marines are the epitomy of this as they are the chapter which the codex is based on.
Note that i am not a marine player (see armies below) when i say to all get over it.

GW likes marines. A massive background for the imperial elites is fine. all teh other races have bags of fluff. The chaos marines have 9 legions all different. Space marines have roughly the same (UM,BT,BA,SW,RG,DA,Sal, WS, IH) just that they have more in depth books. Ultramarines are viewed as the basis of all evil, becuase they were not special, unlike the (insert special codxex here) and playing them was viewed as an easy way out. Recently with the advent ofd new codex, with Ultramarines specials they have become great (TWV, characters etc) now people don't like them becuase teh have all teh advantages , with no disadvantages.

LIVE WITH IT!

Sadly certain things stand out in the marine books , which is why you see them a lot ASScannon, infiltrating marines with tank hunter or furious assault for example.

because of the potency of marines , it is easier to make a min/max list, and it is easier to cry cheese when one turns up. simple as that.

i played a tourney at the weekend. The guy who won had a vanilla army with all the best options you could take, min/maxed. he won because he played fairly and everyone enjoyed playing him as well as winning his games with a nice looking army. in this tourney only 40% was MEQ.

In summary:
Marines are the best, live with it.
Marine will always be poster boys, live with it.
Ultramarines have more specials than anyone else , live with it.
People use them becuase they are good, cost effective points and cash wise. live with it.
Sometimes some armies simply outclass another. Romans vs Celts, Allies vs Iraq (circa 1991) live with it.  

Dark eldar suck, live with it.

Caveat: IMHO, Dark Eldar are the worst invention by GW, ever, beating dark future. The eldar race is supposed to be dark, full of secrets and forboding. They have many facets and by producing DE they ruined many of these. There should have been a eldar pirates list, exodites and harlequins but no.  But now we have to live with them, i just try to avoid them " oh look you have Dark eldar, i have to go over here now..."

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Hellboy

• You're unique, just like everyone else.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 12:31:16 PM »
i think the ultramarines fluff is ok, though storylines are limited when only one of the armies can talk in our sense of the word. the miniatures and tactics used by them are as bland as can possibly be.

i dont like SMurfs in general, i just dont have any respect for them, theyre such an easy army paint and play. they dominate the market, so gw just keeps bringing out more and more of them.

i always thought they were the elite of the imperium, but theyre just standard issue nowadays. in all the 40k novels ive read whenever the SMurfs turn up everyones in awe of them, if they were to be realistic about it people wouldnt batter an eyelid if they saw a SM.

GW should be encourageing people to buy orks and guard, this isnt because i like them, its because every army of them is so different and i wouldnt have to moan every time i go and play warhammer every week and see nothing but BT and UM players.

its all just getting tired now, i dread seeing a massive section in white dwarf nearly as much as i do with LoTR.

I spose at least with black templars theyre using the neophytes and cutting down on the 3+.
First come the smiles.

Then lies,

Last is gunfire.

(Roland Deschain of Gilead - The Dark Tower)

Offline SpetZoo

• The Undertaker!!
  • Knipps Knipps!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 12:43:05 PM »
GW should be encourageing people to buy orks and guard, this isnt because i like them, its because every army of them is so different and i wouldnt have to moan every time i go and play warhammer every week and see nothing but BT and UM players.

Yea! And when GW releases their new cool race that You wanna play, the guy in the store says; Sorry I can't sell you this Codex because another guy recently bought one, there is so few of them in the fluff you know.  ::)
I know Rasmus!
No really! I do. He beats my armies all the time!

Offline ::ËternaĺŇovice::

• A Hippies Version of Exterminatus
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 01:04:13 PM »
Oh...didn't talk about fluff. Ultramarine fluff isn't all that bad. Their First Company saved Maccrage from hordes of Tyranids, good for them, that's kind of cool. Might not be belivable, but it's still kinda cool. It's similar to how Aun'Shi beat up hordes of Orks, but this is just on a way larger scale. The fact that they founded loads of other Chapters is fine, they're pretty damn old, they should get some more new Chapters going. Marnes Calgar is okay fluffwise, but his model kind of sucks...too overly chunky. But the whole thing on how their geneseed is near perfect, that just adds to my list of peeves. If their almost perfect, they've got no defects, making them slightly boring...With Blood Angels you got to deal with all these cool traits that make dudes go insane and stuff. With Space Wolves, they might go feral and bite their sergeants head off, that's why the 13th Company is so sweet. But with UM, they're just another bland army, no defects, no specialization, just plain 'Nilla.

I started playing Tau three years ago, and now I'm dating a supermodel. Coincidence? I think not.

Current Projects: Slow Process of Ordering Warmachine Models. 0% Done.

I'm the Self Proclaimed Greatest Noob on 40konline!

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 01:24:10 PM »
Marines are the best, live with it.

Laughing his beslubbering ass off. Do you really think that marines are the best army out there? Seriously grab your rulebook and codexes once again and start rereading them.

There is NO such thing as a GOOd or BAD army. It is the amount of EXP that the general has combined with his TACTICAL INSIGHT and abikity to handle with UNPREDICTEBLE THINGS and being able to ADAPT at EVERY situation.

It is the player that counts NOT the army. I don't want to flame but anyone that touches DE makes me pissed and so I sai: You are clearly a starter as far as I see it.

In faq DE don't such at all. It is THE most difficult army to field and is ONLY meant for EXPERIENCED AND ADVANACED players NOT starters. EVERYONE is able to field a marine player with some relative succes but only a true player knows how to win with DE. And trust me once they get the hang of it theýll be one of the best players of their shop.

Ask Ollieb Archonjoppa or another good DE player if you don't believe me. Heck almost every DE player with a bit off knowledge is FAR better then any other player that plays another race on the SAME level.

Caveat: IMHO, Dark Eldar are the worst invention by GW, ever, beating dark future. The eldar race is supposed to be dark, full of secrets and forboding. They have many facets and by producing DE they ruined many of these. There should have been a eldar pirates list, exodites and harlequins but no.  But now we have to live with them, i just try to avoid them " oh look you have Dark eldar, i have to go over here now..."
You should first read and understan the eldar fluff before you can blaim the DE of anything. DE are the true eldar like they were for the fall nothing more nothing less.

Harlies exos and pirates STILL excist thing is that 2 out of 3 DON'T have models and all 3 of them DON'T have a official codex.

I don't say this often but plz go read our tactica forum and learn something from it instead of throwing around such insane statements that suck ass from all sides.

Offline ArchonBleda

• My soul belongs to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 02:44:54 PM »
Thank you Archonbjorn.  What that person said is one of the reasons i hate many marine players, whether Tarrin is or not.  They tell us all to live with it.  Oh, you play orks and DE and haven't had a new codex in years?  Live with it.  Your models are from 2nd edition?  Live with it.  Marines take up 75% of white dwarf space? live with it.  It gets old and annoying fast.  I'm tired of being told to live with it.  I have spent just as much if not more money and time into GW as anyone else(6 40k armies, 2 WHF armies, all over 1500pts) and the people like me who don't play marines deserve something more than being cast aside.  And please don't say 'well your getting a new dex so shut up' because a new dex that will come out who knows when doesn't erase years of being ignored.

DE suck?  man i should tell my 5 opponents at the last tournament i attended that.  They'd probably be a bit angry seeing as how i slaughtered them.  I mean they got beat by a sucky army, that can't be good.  and thats the other reason i hate marines because all 5 of my opponents had marine armies and they all had rougly the same list save the 5th opponent who had space wolves. Boring and nearly a waste of money(thanks to space wolf player who was intelligent, mature and nice.)

As far as the DE background, how does it screw up the fluff of 40K?  I mean, you gave absolutely no real reason why they are a bad 40k invention?  You just said they were.  As Archonbjorn said, read the fluff, understand the army before posting a ridiculous statement like that.

Arhconbleda
"I give my soul unto thee, in hopes of feeling the undeniably loving touch of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, R'Amen!"

"If the pen is mightier than the sword, then is not this feather as sharp as my wit?"

"If i was swiss cheese, I'd kill myself."

"I'd swear i was schizophrenic if the voices weren't telling me I'm not."

"I know evolution is true and exists.  My aunt is an orangutan.  Or she  just looks like one."

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 07:51:29 PM »
I'd have to say that I've always liked to Ultra Marines -as far back as I can remember.  You know those stick figure war drawings you did when you were a kid?  Basically two hills with a bunch of stick figures with guns with lines criss -crossing and explosions?  (well maybe all you youngsters were just playing video games -but it was hours of entertainment for me)  I was astounded when looking back through my early drawings  when I found one of those pictures featuring the Ultramarines and what I know know to be the Red Corsairs!  there was an outpost and a bridge and a war between bulked out stick figures with beaker helmets and Ultra Marines insignia duking it out with , apparently losing, bulked out beaker headed dudes with Xs on their  shoulder pads.  I probably picked up the imagery from some fantasy store or something like that.  It obviously stuck.    (a real tear jerker I know  :'()
One of the oldest white dwarfs I have ..let me see...110 ..which i probably bought because the cover looked cool.  Features a picture of  Ultra marine minis on the back.  Resplendent in their  much older by now, color scheme of dark blue with white stripped beaker helmets and white studded shoulder pads  (there were even SM grav tanks)  the page also features an IG squad, also w/ grav tanks and a brightly colored unit of harlequins duking it out with some orks on top of some kind of looted tank.  These images have served as lasting impressions to me as to what is at heart of the 40k universe and my interests in it.  The Ultra Marines were always there.  (another tear :'()
Only recently have been able to sympathize with the stance that they are overly marketed.  In trying to make my Imperial Fists as regal and as important (as they should be ) as the Ultra Marines I find that a ton of SM models have UM insignia all over them which would be too much work to file and cut off and replace with IF insignia.  This doesn't mean there aren't cool though.  I agree with Lomendil in that the UM first company veterans is one of my favorite color schemes.
It seems to me that there are two kinds of 40kers (broad broad generalization) those that look through the imperiums eyes (who like space marines , chaos, IG  etc.) and those who look through the Eldars eyes and see the imperium as a disgustingly overbearing (in games terms and marketing) xenos blight.  I suppose a third outlook would be the tyranids and orks who want to destroy everything and are for the most part indifferent to the UMS
later  WG

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 08:23:36 PM »
OOOOOHHH! Flamed  heheheh :) So much for senior folk around here not swearing and such.

To first guy,

If you bothered to notice that is exactly what i said. I explained exactly that certain marine stuff and traits are seen a lot, as they are good. I have to live with it, so do you beacise they are the rules.
Marines are flexible, hence good. t4 and 3+ is good. simple as that. EXP does count for a lot, but if you combine EXP with an army than is flexible then you have a winner.  If you do come up against something that you don't exepct having good equipment and good stats sure help.  If marine armies were not more effective at this, why are they the most popular with tourney folk (who tend to have experience?)

Perhaps you should actually read what someone has written before spouting off at them.

What i offered about the DE was my opinion. I respect your view in that you like them, and you think that they handle well as a force. Fair enough. But to flame someone for thier personal view is something i wouldn't expect from someone with so much board experience.  If you noticed i actually gave a caveat to my reasoning rather than a bold statement with nothing backing it up.
I reaklise the fluff comes from the pre fall era, but I don't like the fluff, nor the army concept, or the figures, or the units. I think it was handled poorly from the outset (needed a rewrite to be acceptable) and took the eldar race somewhere best left to the imagination. The bringing in of the DE meant that concepts which had been around for years were ooverlooked for armies such as pirtaes, harlies etc.
Ok you play them, good for you.
I have played against them numerous times, several different opponents and all together i find them lacking when compared to other races and codices.

Also i do not appreciate been told that i need tactica, and more experience. Perhaps before you write such words you should consider that this player might have his views from his own experiences, and probably hasd more EXP ( as you put it) than yourself. You are a person with a view, same as me.

Live and learn.

to second guy,
Congrats on winning all those games. Serious. With DE IMHO no mean feat.
I am none too fond of marine players either (ork at heart) myself, but they complain about heavy close combat weapons, zzap guns etc.
Everyone be-atches as they have, usually been on the recieving end of something bad from an opposing army.

I guess we should go back on topic as theis is a UM thread. If you want to continue this be-atch at me, message me.
However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 08:57:42 PM »
It's the 'hooray for the Ultramarines, they'll save the day!' all the time that gets me...

Tyranids.

Archonbjorn, aren't you being maybe a little too pro-Dark Eldar? Everyone else gets screwed over too. You say 'DE players ain't whiners' but that's what you're doing. We all suffer. DE are badly done by, true, but the rest (especially Orks) are as well.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline deczilla

• There's snakes on this landspeeder
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 09:11:14 PM »
I hate Ultramarines because I play Chaos and know no other army nearly as well. They get so many more units and articles on the GW website.

Offline faithlessmonkeigh

• Dracon. Nope, no more title shenanigans.
  • let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 10:17:33 PM »
see thats it - marine players like that guy are th epitome of what we hate about UM's, marines are a boring tactically devoid army usually - most will resort to power playing, as a DE player i find that Marines are simple- oh so simple to wipe the floor with - adn i find that also yes - the average DE player will be alot better than a marine player.

DE are hard to play if you are stupid about it... "DE suck, get over it"?

how can anyone make such a stupid comment?

Either - you tried to play DE and got wasted, or maybe you have only played against newbs - either way, trying to seem cool by  talking about something you know nothing about is not clever

I would put it to anyone - that DE are one of the best armies in the game- probably the best- i say this because they have the best tactical usefulness.

- im not saying that any other race is bad though - because thats not my thing... i would say that marine players on the whole are lazy power players, and newbs- you do get a few quality players - who are generally very very tough - unless ur using DE that is.
and saying: "de fluff is stupid and demeans eldar fluff" and then side stepping the follow up "yes it is good", by saying that you don't like the fluff anyway is stupid because i think if anything it enrichens eldar fluff.

marines are more popular in tournaments because they are more popular full stop - not because of any advantage they have over other races.

Now all DE players know that our army has been screwed by GW, but saying that DE suck - is over the line
and implying again that beating another opponent with DE is hard is ignorant and makes you look an arogant prick.

DE are very good, unless you rush forward and try to get into combat at fast as possible - wow tactics, wait! isnt that an ork mob tactic?

no wonder you cant fathom DE
fififififaithless

you need to realise tarrin 40k online has a large amount of DE players - and you were baiting

i would suggest next time - that a closed mouth gatheres no foot

...Aaaaaaaand you completely missed the point of the topic.  Thanks.
-Kyure -

Offline harbinger_of_war

• Blood Runs, Anger Rises, Death Wakes, War Calls!
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 10:31:34 PM »
i am the stereo-type in the first response. I play eldar. Personally i like SMs. I just don't like the arrogance alot of players get when playing SM. They think 'Oh, nothing can possible hurt me, my power armor and T4 will protect me from anything. Is that a wraithlord? O that is cheesy' Meanwhile the dreadnaught is probably just as if not more powerful than the WL. Just my two cents. Oh and btw dont feel bad if you come across players who 'hate' your army. It's usually b/c they dont understand how to use them. A friend of mine loathes Tau. Surprisingly he doesn't understand the concept of ranged support and gets blown away by my dark reapers time and again. Figure that.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 10:55:31 PM »

i would say that marine players on the whole are lazy power players, and newbs

Not really seeing a whole lot of difference here. Pot, kettle, black.

About DE fluff - tarrin does have a point, but the problem has more to do with the way GW presents Dark Eldar than anything else. They get presented as being stereotypical dark elves, evil, sadistic, they kidnap and torture people, etc., and that's about it. Shallow. There is a lot of quality DE fluff out there, but it's overshadowed by the stereotype. Look at Craftworld Eldar - they're nowhere near as pigeon-holed. That's because of their better presentation. GW needs to show that DE can be just as interesting and original as CWE.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005, 11:27:15 PM »
Baiting? Who ? ME!!! ? heheheh  ;)

Straight away people assume that you don't know what you are talking about (faithless monkeigh for example). Do you actually know about my level of experience?

Once again i will reply to you that a straight insult to someone on here (arrogant prick) is unacceptable.
I would ask that you try to hold a conversation without insulting. Learn some etiquette.

you see i have tried DE (as my group of players has access to all armies), over the years i have played with all the armies, against and with i might add. I found DE to be the worst of the bunch. I am glad that some people have found success with them but in my OPINION i don't like them As the guy just said, the fluff is weak compared to all the other races. The figures are not my cup of tea, some of the units are poorly thoughtout. Tactically i can see what you mean, fast can be good, but for pure flexibility i have found marines are the even balanced army. no real weaknesses in them.
i don't have a marine army myself, so you cannot catalogue me as one of your lazy power players. if you were to ask anyone i play with they would know that i am far from it.

Saying the average DE player is better than the average SM player is poor logic. I gave my reasons for my opinion against the DE now i would like your reasons for the above.

as for the closed mouth gathers no foot comment. Since when are we stopped from speaking our mind on here.

Offline ArchonBleda

• My soul belongs to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 12:06:04 AM »
I'd like to clarify something, i don't hate marines, hell i have an army of them, Alpha Legion with loads of cultists, but what i do hate is that they get so much attention and then when i'd like to play my ork army this century i'm told to live with the fact my army sucks and will get a dex sooner of later. And that has more to do with the players rather than the armies, so actually i don't hate the army but the players of marines.  Again, there are good ones out there, but man i'm tired of searching for them.

Secondly, my point of the tournament was not to brag about the fact i beat them, in fact the space wolves guy i only won by 12pts, 9 of which were slaves.  my point was that there was no fun because i knew exactly how the first 3 turns would go.  What happend afterwards depended on our respective dice rolls.  For me, there isn't much fun having to play 5 marine army's even if one was fun and i wasn't given the cold shoulder.  Hell, i finished out of the top 10, and 3 guys were in with 1 loss because i was given bad scores on sportsmen.  I didn't do half the crap they did, throwing dice, cursing, smart allick crap but i got zeroes in every game but the last one because i beat them badly.  After a number of these games, i  decided to just slaughter them all without mercy because it didn't matter if the game is competitive or not.

There is no argument from me that the DE could use more fluff, But i really don't see where else they can go with the DE fluff to make it broader.  Maybe make them actually important when they are rereleased in a campaign where they are attacking worlds and attempting to bring them into the same realm as commoragh and forge anemprire. Who knows but this 2 sentence per campaign crap isn't helping them.

Again, i only dislike UM's because they are the vanilla army and almost every vanilla army i see either has 3 devastator squads or are drop pod assualting.  I mean we keep being told that this is a dark age of technology and that the xenos have better tech than the imperium yet the imperium is the only ones whose basic, vanilla army can all deep strike?  Yeah, makes alot of sense.

To tarrin, You might have played them some but you know what, it took me 25 games to actually win with DE.  Did you give them 25, or just 3 or 4 before calling them crap. I'll give you the 25 first game with each of my armies because i keep track, and i'm not crazy so don't say it ;D
Dark eldar 0-25
Orks 0-22-3
Alpha legion 2-19-4
LaTD 0-25

by this account DE, LATD and orks suck so therefore are worse than marines.

Next 25
DE 19-4-2
Orks 15-9-1
Alpha Legion 16-3-6
LaTD 5-19-1

By this, De and orks can compete with marines, but sadly Latd can't, god i hate Ld6.

Now, i gave each of my army's 50 games to see if i could improve with them. if i was fine with the records, i stopped keeping track of them, so obviously i'm still keeping track with Latd.  Sure the models suck, the fluff is a bit cliched and yes some units are not very good, but does DE Suck? no.  You can have your opinion but its my opinion that you cant claim to have experience with something you seem to have tried in passing.  Can't say for sure, but thats what vibe i'm getting.

As far as marine players being better or worse than DE players.  Well i can give you my stats again, for Tournaments with DE.  Against marines they are 18-3-8.  And almost all of my 18 wins are against shallow minded guys who spewed crap from their mouths.  All 3 losses were fun games, and i actually got good non game scores for.  the draws, were good games in their own right as well.  Now, it is entirely possible that because there are so many marine players i just haven't met up with great marine players, i've met some decent ones, but not many.  That doesn't necessarily mean all marine players are bad, but again, in my experience, its been the case.   

note-my De's record is worse in tournaments against guard 4-6-3 and Eldar 2-6-2.  I guess i get nervous against Eldar, kin war and all you know. ;)

Archonbleda
"I give my soul unto thee, in hopes of feeling the undeniably loving touch of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, R'Amen!"

"If the pen is mightier than the sword, then is not this feather as sharp as my wit?"

"If i was swiss cheese, I'd kill myself."

"I'd swear i was schizophrenic if the voices weren't telling me I'm not."

"I know evolution is true and exists.  My aunt is an orangutan.  Or she  just looks like one."

Offline faithlessmonkeigh

• Dracon. Nope, no more title shenanigans.
  • let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2005, 12:16:59 AM »
Totally agree with your opions on fluff and models, both are a disgrace, now the idea behind DE is great and i will not have that draged through the mud, read "a tortureres tale"... read some articles from the DE pages - we have a vast amount of knowledge on the DE, both fan fiction and theories on filling in the gaps - and notice i did not say you were an arrogant prick - i said "it makes you seem one", see im tricky like that.

when u played DE, how may times did you play them.... they are a hard army to grasp, i have lost 3 games in my life with DE, and played many vets.

and im sorry my bad, i didnt specify i wasn't categorising you as a powerplayer - it was that other guy, with the make up on.
my theory on why DE players are better... newbs often give up on DE, seeing as they loose every game by a 1000 points +, only  the real smart palyers, adn those who are determined stick at it.

Marines are worse than DE in most cases because they lack the tactical means to beat DE - speed, strong counter attack.

anyway - we shouldnt be arguing i apologise - ur worse off than us - GW has screwed you guys around for years we xould take a leaf out of ur book on patience.
faithless

faithless
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 01:27:26 AM by faithlessmonkeigh »

...Aaaaaaaand you completely missed the point of the topic.  Thanks.
-Kyure -

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2005, 12:45:18 AM »

Baiting? Who ? ME!!! ? heheheh  ;)

If you ARE baiting then I suggest you don't do it again in future. Trolling is not acceptable here. Be warned, we stamp down hard on Trolls.

@ Archon Bjorn and faithlessmonkeigh - flaming isn't allowed either. Luckily, neither of you directly insulted Tarrin, but regardless, you both came close. Keep a handle on yourselves, being provoked by silly comments doesn't excuse flaming.

Straight away people assume that you don't know what you are talking about...

Also i do not appreciate been told that i need tactica, and more experience. Perhaps before you write such words you should consider that this player might have his views from his own experiences, and probably hasd more EXP ( as you put it) than yourself. You are a person with a view, same as me.

I've played for 13 years, through 4 editions. I've played Dark Eldar almost exclusively for the last 4 or 5 years, successfully. Dark Eldar are a perfectly viable army if you know what you are doing with them. If you don't use the right tactics and play with skill, then you will suck with them. Draw your own conclusions. If you still doubt, have a look at the DE tactics website section and try out a WWP army.

Now, BACK ON TOPIC if you please, gentlemen.... If anyone still wants to do the 'Do Dark Eldar blow?/Why Dark Eldar rule!' discussion then start another thread. I'm keeping an eye on this thread and any inflammatory/off-topic posts are going to be deleted on the spot. Sorry, but that's the way it's gonna be. Like I said, someone can start a new topic if so desired.

Offline Aden

• Humanity at it's worst
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2005, 07:06:39 AM »
Because they're mindless fleshy pawn of the Illuminatis. Seriously. Just look at them, their all like: "Look at me  I'm a mindless fleshy pawn of the Illuminati and I pooped my pants because my armour was so blue I couldn't take it off"

See what I mean?