News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The 57th Mordian - Building an Army for Charity  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
The 57th Mordian - Building an Army for Charity
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:47:02 AM »
I'm going to use this log to chart progress in a new project I've decided to take on.

Without going into too much detail, in the past month I lost my Grandfather, to whom I was very close, to Stomach Cancer after an eight month battle with the disease. It was his wish to remain at the family home, surrounded by his family until the end, and this he was able to do thanks to the amazing supported provided free of charge by Hospicare. This is a local charity in my part of the world which provides dedicated care and support for those who are diagnosed with terminal illnesses, and to their families.

In the aftermath of this I've decided I want to raise some money for Hospicare, and as a hobbiest who was inspired by my grandfathers own creative talents there seems a very appropriate way of doing so. To this end I'm going to build a 1500pts plus Imperial Guard army, the Mordian 57th, which will then be sold on ebay with 100% of the final value being donated to Hospicare. I'm hoping to get the army finished within a year, which will mean going some by my standards, so we'll see how it goes.

So that all explained, its time to get down to business.

I'm in the process of stripping a platoon and a bits worth of Mordians which will form the core of the army, probably with a mounted Veteran Squad or two to fill out the troops, I'm definately including a couple of Leman Russ, one standard pattern, one Executioner, probably a Vendetta and a Helhound and maybe a few more vehicles besides.

For now though I've just finished a test model using the fairly standard Mordian scheme which I've settled on, I'm looking for input from anyone and everyone though on any improvements, not least because I'm hoping that there might be a few people who may be interested in buying the army once its done. What I'd really like some suggestions on is basing though, I've got in my mind an urban themed base but having never done urban basing I'm a little unsure how to pull it off effectively, any suggestions on that, or other ideas for basing?

Offline Leocuta

• Ork Boy
  • WARNING:Cookies Disabled! They have been eaten!
Re: The 57th Mordian - Building an Army for Charity
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
I am sorry for your loss.

This is a great idea I hope you get lots of money for it.
If you fail, try, try again, if you still fail, try something else.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
That's a neat idea

and my condolences.

Urban? hm, concrete, road, building rubble, litter ?
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:27:56 PM »
This is a really interesting (and honorable) project.

Also, on to the model, the shaved head was done very well, and the color scheme also looks nice. It looks a lot better than the Eavy Metal Team's old Mordian paint jobs.

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
I will be very interested in keeping up to date with this project. after seeing your praetorians for real at the last 40ko tournament im sure these will be of equal standard and my favorite IG regiment.

Certainly I would be willing to bid for this when it gets to that time, and I hope you raise alot of money from this.

Very promising start with the testor model and a very respectable project.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
For what it's worth, most of the tables I've played on over the years have either green or brown as a base. I've only once played on a "proper" city fight board.

I'd just be a little worried that the deep blue / grey models may merge with the base if done in an urban theme, which would be a shame. :)

Any idea what the bidding would start at?

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:30 AM »
for asphalt bases ad rubble rocks and concrete I am starting to use cork board and really liking the results here are some pick of my current bases for my orks

hope these help with ideas and good luck on this project

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 05:09:17 AM »
Sorry for your loss man!

It is a noble thing you're doing!

Be sure to post an ebay link when it goes up.

As to basing hmm I kind of agree with GBT.
A true urban landscape the fantastic paint job might be lost (unless you go for brick coloured urban landscape).
What might also work is a Trench warfare setting.
That way you'd get a lot of brown colours to set of vs the paintjob.

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
Thanks very much everyone for the kind words and support.

I've been making slow progress with the army, the test model I ended up settling on a Yellow Aquilla, with the first full squad on the way now. I'll consider the options about basing, and see what I can come up with once thats done.

The other bit I've been doing is this,

I want to include one or two Veteran Squads, Mordian 'Ironhearts' with Carapace armour, so the next question, what do you think the scheme should be on these? Should the Greatcoats remain the normal dark blue?

Offline bsucbe

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
Sorry for your loss, those models look amazing and i really hope you get the best price possible for them! truly great cause

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
Its been far too long since I worked on this, a new house and a new business slowed things down a bit. I have gone a little further though with another five Guardsmen finished, and the rest of the squad on the way.