News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Asuryani vs. Drukhari 50 PL Learning 8e  (Read 1038 times)

Offline swordoflux

• Armies: Eldar
Asuryani vs. Drukhari 50 PL Learning 8e
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
I finally got to play a little game the other afternoon when my brother came over and tried out some Dark Eldar. I think the last time he played was back in 4th edition! I wrote down what happened and thought I would share:

After action report
50 PL Eldar vs Dark Eldar

Eldar list:
Outrider Detachment
Farseer w/singing spear, Guide and Doom
10 Dire Avengers, inc. Exarch w/2 catapults
5 Striking Scorpions, inc. exarch w/biting blade
5 Warp Spiders, inc. exarch w/2 death spinners and power blades
6 Shining Spears, inc. exarch w/Star lance
3 Windriders w/shuriken cannons
Wave Serpent w/2 bright lances and shuriken cannon

Dark Eldar list:
Patrol Detachment
Archon w/agonizer and blaster
 - Sslyth
 - Ur Ghul
10 Wyches, 3 with hydra gauntlets
10 Kabalite warriors, 1 with splinter cannon
5 Wracks (inc. 1 Acothyst)
5 Scourges w/4 Dark Lances
Raider w/dark lance & shock prow
Raider w/disintegrator cannon
Venom w/2 splinter cannons

This was my first real game of 8th edition! We were both learning the rules, so we played the Open War mission. Table was 4 x 6 ft, several LoS-blocking buildings were placed around a central area terrain piece (we decided this was a crystalline forest that would grant cover to units within, and block line of sight through it). Four objectives were placed, the victory table said that one of these was the relic (obviously we were on a Crone world, fighting over a powerful soul stone!). The table was divided in half diagonally, so we deployed in opposite corners.
I deployed my Windriders, Warp Spiders, Shining Spears behind terrain. I put the Dire Avengers and Farseer inside the Wave Serpent, and the Scorpions hid in shadows.
The Wyches deployed inside Raider w/dark lance on my left. Venom with Archon and court deployed behind a building. Raider w/disintegration cannon was loaded with Kabalite warriors and placed toward my right. Scourges started in the sky, waiting to descend. Wracks were placed on top of a building nearest the Relic in the far corner.

Turn One: Eldar
The Drukhari had beaten the Asuryani in the race to find the Soulstone on this ancient crone world, so we were going to have to take it from them!
I spent this turn moving up the table, trying to stay out of line of sight as much as possible:
Windriders advanced behind a building to get closer to Relic. Warp Spiders flew up, taking a position just outside the central forest out of line of sight. Wave Serpent moved up behind the forest. Spears moved forward between a couple buildings.

Turn One: Dark Eldar
Raider with Wyches advanced along table edge, took a pot shot with Dark Lance at Wave Serpent, but missed. Scourges dropped out of the sky behind the Spears, and killed two with darklight. Venom and the the Warrior Raider moved toward the forest.

Turn Two: Eldar

The Spears rode back to deal with Scourges (got too close to them in hindsight, because they were then out of position to support later on). Spiders flew into edge of forest to shoot at Raider or Wyches from cover. Windriders drove into forest for fire support and cover.  Avengers and Farseer disembarked and walked into forest (should have advanced to have more Avengers in range of Wyches). Scorpions stalked out behind Wracks to contest the Relic.
Farseer failed to Doom Raider, but successfully Guided Wave Serpent.
Wave Serpent fired at the Wych Raider, but missed all bright lance shots, even with rerolls! Warp Spiders and Windriders combined fire to take out the lucky Raider. Avengers shot down several Wyches. Spears gunned down all of the Scourges. Scorpions shot their pistols, but failed their charge against Wracks.

Turn 2: Dark Eldar
Warrior Raider and Venom moved toward the forest to clear it of Eldar. Wyches moved toward Spiders and Avengers to charge them. Wracks do the same to Scorpions.
Raider and Warriors wipe out Windriders and half of the Dire Avengers (disintegration cannons are no joke vs jet bikes!).
Wyches charged Warp Spiders and remaining Avengers, tying them both up in close combat. Wracks charged Scorpions, killing a couple, and taking a couple of wounds in return.
After Morale phase, Warp Spiders has taken no casualties, there was one  Avenger and the Exarch left from their squad, in combat with the Hekatrix.

Turn 3: Eldar
Shining Spears advanced to just outside forest.  Wave Serpent moved into forest to get between the two Dark Eldar vehicles and my Farseer. Warp Spiders and Avengers tried to escape Hekatrix and fail, after a CP is spent to reroll vs Spiders.
Farseer Dooms Raider and Guides Wave Serpent, which proceeds to wreck the Raider and then charge the 8 warriors that remain, killing one and taking a wound in return (at this point, Dark Eldar were hitting on 2s!)
Warp Spiders finish off Hekatrix, Scorpions reduce Wrack squad to 1 model.

Turn 3: Dark Eldar
Archon and court disembark from Venom, and walk through forest to get in charge range of Shining Spears. Venom zooms over forest and absorbs overwatch fire from Shining Spears.
Archon and court proceed to wreck Spears’ faces.

At this point, Time was called, as it was getting late. We had already spent a good deal of time crafting our lists and getting miniatures set up.

Post-game thoughts: This may well have been a different game if the Scourges had dropped down farther away, and targeted the Wave Serpent for a couple of turns, but my opponent underestimated the threat I would deem them. His plan was for the Wyches to tie up the Spears, while the Kabalites and Court shot up the rest of my army. A lot of stuff died pretty quickly in this game, but it was a small game, after all. We both used a couple of our Command Points, but remembering them is something we’re still getting used to.
We both had a great deal of fun with the new rules, and are getting ready to set up a 1500 pt. game sometime soon.
Hope you enjoyed my little report! Thanks!