News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Combat rules in 8th ed + armor save?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline dalaran1991

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Combat rules in 8th ed + armor save?
« on: August 9, 2017, 06:05:58 AM »
Hello gents,

I have been out of the game for a long while now, mostly just collecting models. Thinking about jumping back into 8th ed

However, for the life of me I cant understand how combat “initiative” is supposed to work now without initiative?

Let’s say my space wolves charged 4 units of orks. So I decide my blood claws vs ork boyz will go first. They inflict 4 casualties and these dead orks are removed without a chance to fight back. Then my opponents says his ork nobs with power claw vs my wolf guard with power first go first. They score 3 wounds and my wolf guards died without having a chance to fight back? Then again I choose another unit where I will go first?

How does this make any sense at all that who attack first is at the player’s decision? Say I have wolfs scouts vs clumsy ork boyz. The opponent decides his orb boyz go first and my lightning fast wolf scout just take it and die? It’s completely random and makes no sense.

Also, with the new AP rules how are TEQ supposed to survive massed small arms fire? They used to be impervious to even heavy bolter but the way it work right now S5 Ap -1 has a reasonably good chance to down TEQ.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Combat rules in 8th ed + armor save?
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »
Combat is resolved by taking turns activating units (starting with who's turn it is) to fight. Any units that charged get to go first. After chargers have made their attacks you take turns picking which unit gets to fight. You need to think a bit more about your combats. You always want to charge as that charging clash now lets historically slow units (orks, Necrons etc) actually get to deal damage first.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 12:28:51 AM »
Also, with the new AP rules how are TEQ supposed to survive massed small arms fire? They used to be impervious to even heavy bolter but the way it work right now S5 Ap -1 has a reasonably good chance to down TEQ.

Thanks for your help!

Most small arms fire has no AP. Heavy bolters are *slightly* better, but all Terminators now have two wounds, so it kinda works out.

But yes, Terminators are not quite as invincible to a lot of weapons as they once were. That, however, makes cover that much more useful to them. 

Offline dalaran1991

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »
Thanks for clarifying.

It still buggers me that who strike first now (aside from charges) is determined by player's choice rather than models characteristics. So an Eldar Avenger might strike after a Necron warriors now.

It just makes little sense, but oh well.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 06:34:48 AM »
Thanks for clarifying.

It still buggers me that who strike first now (aside from charges) is determined by player's choice rather than models characteristics. So an Eldar Avenger might strike after a Necron warriors now.

It just makes little sense, but oh well.

yeah I know the feeling but all unit can run away from combat now (few exception like wyches special rule), so I've rarely had to use the whole taking turns picking which combat happens.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
The biggest overall change for assault is that it is less *decisive* than it once was. Locking people in combat is no longer a thing, running down whole units isn't a thing, everybody gets fewer attacks, etc. If your mondo assault unit makes it into combat, the unit it touches has much better odds of surviving than before.