News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wraithblades number of attacks in 8th  (Read 2738 times)

Offline flatworldsedge

• Corners conceal treasures
    • flatworldsedge photography
  • Armies: Eldar
Wraithblades number of attacks in 8th
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:00:08 AM »
Hi all - hope you're having an awesome weekend.

Having downloaded the new Xenos index I'm wanting to make train I understand the new way in which stats are written up and whether they include impact of equipment.

Wraithblades are written up with 2 attacks in the stat line, and a note that the ghostswords give an extra attack.  (As a side note the exact language used "each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack" is of that weirdly legal/overly specific nature that makes it much less clear - this could be misinterpreted as some kind of cumulative rule where they gain attacks every turn they are in melee, maybe finishing a game with 5 or 6 attacks).

Anyway, side track aside, am I right in thinking that's 3 attacks total when equipped with the ghostswords, or 2 attacks total if they switch to axe/shield?

Or would axe/shield drop to 1 attack total?

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Wraithblades number of attacks in 8th
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 04:22:04 AM »
The "Attacks" Stat in the statline is number of attacks without accounting for any equipment. For example, one might imagine a model with an A of 2. This model, with no wargear, gets 2 attacks.

Some wargear increases your number of attacks. So imagining again a model with an A of 2, but who was also wielding a weapon that said "when the bearer fights, it makes an additional attack" will get to make an extra attack in the fight phase. So, this model would make 2+1 = 3 attacks in the fight phase.

If you REPLACED that piece of wargear with another piece of wargear that did NOT have that language, it would no longer gain a bonus attack. So, it would only have 2 attacks in the fight phase.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline flatworldsedge

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:03:20 AM »
Thank you!  As suspected and super to have it confirmed so thoroughly!  Axe/shields it is!

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:30:56 AM »
Yeah axes/shields vs blades have a tradeoff besides just the cost difference. While they make your Wraithblade more sturdy, and have a generally better weapon profile, an axe/shield wraithblade isn't as good as a sword wraithblade for sheer number of attacks.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 06:02:03 AM »
Yeah it's a tough call axes vs swords now as there is a minor difference to S. Axes are basically better against multi Wound targets or T7 stuff.

Offline flatworldsedge

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »
Thanks!  Maths isn't straight forward either!

Weapon profiles removed in accordance with forum rule 1.  Please avoid posting the complete profiles of weapons/units - Iris.

I'm not sure how big a difference the strength makes.  If I understand 8th ed changes how S and T interact, with the 2+ to wound needing S to be double T.  So against MEQ it'll be 3+ either way.  The D3 damage and AP bonus look very meaningful though.

It's the 4+ invuln that swings it - would hard at that even if the axe and swords were the same AP/wounds.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:35:53 AM by Irisado »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
The axe&shield Wraithblades are looking really nice. I played with them a good deal in 6th and 7th but was hamstrung by getting them into combat. With the changes to disembarkation I'm imagining delivering them via Wave Serpent with either Dragons/Cannon Wraithguard for a coordinated attack with a unit or 2 of Striking Scorpions. Moving max distance turn 1 and going for broke turn 2. Depending on deployment maps, you could potentially plow deep into enemy territory.

Their ability to go after monsters, vehicles or infantry is really handy. I'm imagining them pitching in against vehicles and monsters a lot, especially if you get poor rolls against an important target with ranged attacks.

They also make a great screening unit or bodyguard for characters, especially if you are anticipating deepstrikers.

Definitley plan on using these guys with Ynarri rules too, for maximizing moves or assaults especially when they are deep in enemy territory. 
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline flatworldsedge

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
Cavalier - totally agree.

Iris - apologies, got it.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »
The ghostswords are also confusing as you pay for the whole set. The points listed are are for "ghostswords", in the plural. I accidentally priced it twice until I realized your are paying for the set. Since it's a set, that's essentially why it's adding an extra attack.

Offline flatworldsedge

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
Yeah - a separate topic I guess, but the way points are calculated in the new Index (I'm using the digital one GW sell through iBooks) is confusing me.  Played GW games for 26 years, but it's baffled me somewhat.

Finally think I get it though - you tap top left to see the cost per model and see if that includes war gear.  If it does, great you're done.  However, if it does not, then you need to add the cost of even the basic kit to the model's cost.  Lots (ish) of work just to find the basic points cost per model.

In light of that I now realise that the axe/shield option is almost three times the sword option, so it makes sense they're better.