News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 59502 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
@Cav to be honest a big part of why I want to go lightning claws is those Dark Fury models, they are absolutely stunning!
I may look into a couple of conversion projects for the hammers, will be for the second squad though.
Thanks for the kind words again, having this thread definitely helps me with my motivation!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #61 on: August 1, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »
Wow, not updated this in a month!
Unfortunately due to work and ill health I've not been able to do much at all hobby-wise. Today I have spent the vast majority of today building drop pods, I forgot how tedious it is to make them, I swear if I get any more I am gonna pay someone to do it for me! haha
The only other thing I have managed to do since my last update is to paint up for Mor Deythan (Proxy as Sternguard)
Just for Cav:

I've got a game against an Eldar player coming up on Thursday, haven't decided on a list yet but I suspect it'll be something similar to what I used for my last game.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #62 on: August 1, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »
Damn man these are looking pro! Thanks for sharing... I just love these models to absolute death. Love the color choices, the white patch going over the studs is sick! I've seen them mostly in red but the white looks far better. Love it bud.

Also yes, drop pods are the bane! I just did one on comission but they are super frustrating if they start falling apart. Had some real nightmares in the past. Yet I'm going all Pods for my Dark Angels. They are just so dang good.

Anyway great stuff man as always I love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #63 on: August 2, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »
I don't mind the drop pod's construction, but the painting is just sooooo boring...

But yes, these marines look ace. Nice clean white, something that's not easy to do, and it contrasts so nicely with the black. And I think you got just the right amount of each, making them look perfectly Raven Guard
« Last Edit: August 2, 2016, 01:56:31 PM by vonny »
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #64 on: August 4, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »
Cheers guys!

@Vonny- To be honest I am still really struggling with the white, no matter what I try I just can't seem to be able to get a decent flat, clean white without Airbrushing, just too many brushmarks/imperfections.

I had my game against an Eldar opponent tonight and it turned out to again be a very enjoyable game. It came down to a couple of dice rolls right at the end but I just about managed a 6-5 Victory.
My list was:

Pinion Demi Battle Company
Chapter Master- Artificer Armour, Swiftstrike & Murder, Jump Pack, Melta bombs
5 Tactical Marines- Plasma, Combi Plasma (In a drop pod)
5 Tactical Marines- Plasma, Combi Plasma (In a drop pod)
5 Tactical Marines- Melta, Combi Melta (In a drop pod)
10 Assault Marines- 2x Flamers, Vet Sarge with pair of Lightning claws and Melta Bombs
5 Devastators- 4x Lascannons
5 Scouts- Camo Cloaks and Sniper Rifles
5 Scouts- Camo Cloaks and Sniper Rifles
Ravenhawk Assault Group
Stormraven- TL Assault Cannons, TL Multi Melta, Hurricane Bolters
10 Sternguard- 5x Combi Flamers, 5x Combi Meltas (In a drop pod)
Dreadnought- Assault Cannon.

Culexus assassin

I believe his list was something along the lines of:

Farseer
4 Warlocks in a falcon
10 Guardians in a wave serpent
10 Guardians in a wave serpent
10 Guadrians on foot
3 Shadow Weavers (Farseer in here) with Warlock
3 Jetbikes
3 Jetbikes
3 Jetbikes
Farseer on bike
2x Vypers (Twin shuri cannon)
2x Night spinners
3x Warwalkers (Double Bright Lance)

He tried castling up for deployment, leaving all jetbikes, Vypers, Warwalkers, Nightspinners and Falcon in reserve. My initial Alpha strike was the Sternguard (combat squadded) who came in and wrecked a Wave Serpent and roasted a full guardian squad with their flamers, and two tactical squads who destroyed another guardian squad and took a hull point off the other wave serpent. His return fire was fairly ineffective, just killed a couple of Sternguard. Another drop pod arrived for me and came down in the centre of the board, my assault marines turned up and covered an objective waiting for the rest of his army to appear. Almost all of the rest of his army then appeared and proceeded to kill most of my Sternguard and all of my Devastators. Blows were traded for the next couple of turns but by the 5th turn I was pretty clearly ahead in damage done but he still had jetbike units that could grab objectives.
In the end it came down to a Nightspinner vs two Sternguard, two wounds from the Torrent were both saved and then he rolled a 2,2,1 for the underslung Shuriken Cannon! The Sternguard not dying meant that I contested one of the objectives which gave me the 6-5 Win!
Was a really enjoyable game and I am definitely starting to get a bit more used to using this army, I need to try experimenting with some of the other formations but I need the models to do so.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #65 on: August 5, 2016, 07:21:31 AM »
Nice victory Auric. Both lists seemed very cool too. Its funny my last game was a very similar setup, Sternguard alpha strike against my minimalist reserve-heavy beta strike list. Different results interesting nonetheless... the Space Marine alpha-strike is so strong... its almost like they are emulating the fluff! Lol :)

Do you have Vanguard Vets? I can't wait to see how those guys do. My brother is furiously working on his Revilers at the moment and we can't wait to see how the Vanguard Vet. formation performs.

As for the White, just a few tips from me. I use white a lot, I even brush paint medium sized sections of vehicles like my Hornets with white. The key to getting a smooth coat for me is using Celestra Grey first and getting a nice opaque base (not too thick though) and then going over that with white... one layer at a time. Really make sure the white is painted on even... let it dry out completely even if it means waiting till next day when you paint to throw down the second layer and then apply.

Another trick is instead of going pure white, go Celestra Grey and then highlight with white. I'm an enormous fan of that Celestra Grey its one of the strongest smoothest colors in the GW line and I highly recommend it.

Just some tips, I know you are no stranger to the brush with all your super nice looking armies just wanted to throw that out there is you haven't tried it that way before.

Anyway great stuff bud, and I'm glad you got a win against Eldar. Its never easy!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #66 on: August 5, 2016, 06:50:53 PM »
the trick I learned when I learned painting smooth white: more water! I know it sounds counter intuitive, but then you can dabble and smooth it out a bit as you brush it on... meh, hard to explain, wish you lived closer so I could show you.

in any case: more water(though I guess the lahmia medium would work too, if not better) , try to smooth it on, and as Cav said: multiple layers :)
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #67 on: August 6, 2016, 06:59:03 AM »
Great point by Vonny, adding a little water helps to get a smooth layer of paint down. I usually get some white on the brush, then add a little water mix it on my pallet and then apply. Let it dry, then do it again. I can't see any problems with your models Auric they look fantastic, it must be stuff that you see when you hold it right up to your eyeball. But everyone gets stuff like that... if you check out even the most amazing models on GW flickr account (which is an incredible flickr BTW) you'll see that kinda stuff.

Anyway keep up the great work Auric everything looks killer!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:24 AM »
Cheers guys!
I am definitely massively critical of my own stuff and the white is one of those things that really annoys me!  ;D
I've just had a box arrive at my door which contains my next little addition to the Raven Guard army, fortunately I now have 2 weeks off work so loads of time to do some building and painting! Expect a few updates over the next couple of weeks!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2016, 07:22:10 AM »
Ok guys, time for a slight update....
I've got a unit currently on the painting table which will be unveiled shortly (still a bit more work to be done!) but I am in search of some advice!
I have a game this coming thursday which could be a very interesting/challenging mission.
I will be taking on a Death Guard army in the Surprise Attack mission (I believe from the Space Marine Altar of war), on paper it very much suits the Raven Guard army as I will be coming on entirely from reserve, from any table edge. The only problem is that it's a kill points game!
Using the kill points for the mission my standard army is roughly 20 kill points, his will likely be about 6!
I am expecting to see Plague Marines, Typhus and a Chaos Knight, any tips for being able to overcome the massive discrepancy in Kill points? I am used to being on the side of small Elite army with hardly any!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2016, 08:25:02 AM »
Hmmm thats a toughy. I'd say the best way to deal with it is keep everything which wont impact the game off the board, or out of trouble for as long possible. The only units I'd expose to danger is those units whoare going for the kill.

Keep as many of your Scouts, Landspeeders, Combat Squads off the board, or on the edges only ready to pounce on objectives at the very end.

Also keep your IC's out of squads which are going to die. Say you are running the Shadowstrike unit (the Vanguard Vet formation) if you don't need a chaplain or your Captian in that unit, just stick with a unit of scouts and keep him off the board as long as possible. You may be willing to sacrifice the Vets if it means thunder hammering his Knight to death, but don't include the Chaplain in that unit if you don't have to. It may not be thematic but it'll keep you up on KP's.

Also remember, if you table him you win, no matter the KP's. Kinda generic advice buts its the best I can offer given the vast discrepancy between KP's.

Anyway good luck Auric! I'm rooting for you!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2016, 07:04:07 AM »
That was what I was leaning towards tbh!
I could easily change my list to suit the mission (10 man units instead of 5 etc) but to be honest I don't really want to change up too much as I'd rather work out ways to compensate with the current list.

That being said........
I have a small update, just finished the unit that had been sat on my painting table for the last week and a bit, they've taken quite a while to do but here is my new Vanguard Vets!

Got to say they are probably the best moulded Forgeworld models that I've ever seen, very few mold lines let alone any damage/air bubbles etc. The quality of these guys was absolutely superb. Very much looking forward to using them on Thursday!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »
Dude... holy crap! These look absolutley incredible!!! Did you mangetize them too? Wow... we are talking major league show stopper here. The posing, the color balance and the freaking airbrush lighting on the thunder hammers! Hot damn! Seriously man I absolutley love these. Gotta show this to my brother ASAP. This is glorious! In the name of Corax... Victorus Aut Mortis!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2016, 07:35:53 AM »
Thanks Cav, means a lot coming from you!
I am really proud of how they turned out, I knew they'd likely be the focus point of my army so I really wanted to do them justice.
Sadly not Magnetised, just made them with lightning claws and 4x Thunder Hammer Storm shields. They'll probably be used in two squads of 5 with 2x TH/SS in each squad. I thought about going a bit brighter on the Claws/ Hammers with the Airbrush but in the end I decided that I really didn't want that to take away from the rest of the model and with a colour scheme so Dark I thought that if I'd gone really bright it may have garnered a bit too much attention.
If he wants any more photos then just ping me a message, happy to take some more detailed ones for him.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2016, 08:58:06 AM »
Really nice work there Auric! I love the posing of the minis, and the fact that the only real point of light on each model is the weapon or weapons they wield? It makes for a really cinematic, striking unit.

Really strong work. Love em!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2016, 04:03:14 AM »
Cheers Loosh,
Definitely one of my favourite units I've made/painted so far. As much as I don't like paying Forgeworld prices they do make some pretty beautiful models!

One small update as well, normally I'd wait until I've got something painted and complete before putting it up on here but to be honest I've just spent the last couple of hours making up a model to be my new Chapter Master/Captain and I'm really quite proud of it!
I'd like you all to meet Captain Corone!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:40:30 AM by Aurics Pride »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2016, 08:43:17 AM »
Very cool effects. I'm loving the subtle blue glow of the power weapons. I really think you made the right choice in keeping them subdued, so it doesn't overpower the darkness of the rest of the model. The look of those backpacks are so unique as well. Definitely makes them stand out from your traditional marine sculpt. Keep up the awesome work.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #77 on: September 1, 2016, 05:14:18 AM »
Captain Corone. me like very much.

Great posing again AP. Even totally unpainted there's just a cold malice about him. Maybe it's the beaky marine helmet that accentuates it, I don't know, but t it really looks like he's finally swooping down or springing forth on the prey that he has been stalking.

Also, I hate that everyone has a Captain without a helm. So there's that.

Looking forward to seeing this guy when he's finished!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #78 on: September 1, 2016, 06:29:28 AM »
Thanks guys!
@Dog Of War- Cheers, The power weapons I was a bit unsure of but now looking at them I definitely think it was the right choice, it was just enough.

@Looshkin- Thanks bud, It took me a few hours and a bit of swearing if I am honest. I went through about 6 pairs of Lightning claws before I was happy with a pose. The original intention was to have both claws down and the model jumping straight at you but I actually think this pose is more natural and works better. Really being Raven Guard he had to lead by example and wear a good old beaky helmet! And funnily enough........

So another update, I've been a bit busy!
In the last couple of days I've managed to paint up two more Combat squads with Plasma/Combi-Plasma and have painted up my Captain!

I have also been asked for a couple more pictures of the Dark Furies:

And finally here is the 2,000 pts list that I am going to be using tonight. Excuse the couple of proxies and the unpainted models!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #79 on: September 1, 2016, 08:06:20 AM »
Oh hell yeah! Damn man, this Ravenguard army is just looking better and better. It looks ultra classic, yet at the same time those bases, modeling and FW units... they give it a very modern, unique touch. Absolutely loving it. 

Also I saw you talking in that battle company threat which I found very interesting. I"m gonna hop on there later today and throw my 2 cents in as I play against freaking Battle Company almost every other game! Anyway great stuff my man. Keep it up I love this army!