News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Highlighing black leather  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Crazy ghost

Highlighing black leather
« on: March 1, 2009, 11:46:36 PM »
I've seen people highlighting black with grey, but I don't think (gut feeling only) it will look natural on leather. My IG officers all use black leather gloves. Is grey really the color to go? I was thinking of maybe a very dark brown, but I have no idea how it will look like.

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
Re: Highlighing black leather
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »
For leather I just paint gloss over the black.
=S

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2009, 05:58:34 AM »
Go with the dark brown.

I wouldnt recommend the gloss idea because this very often doesnt give the effect of highly polished leather, more that something is wet or slimey.

I would use a dark brown to highlight the black as you have said

Offline finoro

• They couldn't hit a bull squiggoth at this range!
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2009, 06:15:03 AM »
Skeeve posted a very impressive Commissar last year.

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=161212.msg1938510#msg1938510

Seems to be a very dark grey base highlighted with green/grey in bits and shaded with red! Seems totally counter intuitive to me but there is no denying the result.

He is a good sort so if you PM him I am sure he will give you a guide as to how it was painted.
The farseers of the Eldar are rich in lore and know all the ways of skinning cats. Do not ask which way is best lest the knowledge burn your soul.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »
I find that a touch of Blue glazed into the shadow makes it look very realistic as well, although that link above me was nice (same idea with that green he used)..

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2009, 10:12:25 AM »
I tend to highlight black leather more with skin tones, which initially will start out as being very dark brown for highlight.  The thing with leather is, when it's well maintained, it's a very highly reflective surface and if you do it properly you can highlight up to near white, as you can see with Skeeve's beautiful commissar, and also show reflected colours of the environment on the model.  If you look at leather, brown shows as scuffs where it's worn and not well kept but where it is well polished you get almost achromatic reflections.  If you do gloss varnish, do it just on the raised areas where you want it to show catching the extremes of light.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »
Remember to take into account the other colors used in the miniature.  Colors on shiney new leather would be reflected from the surrounding colors, and brown can be used to represend worn areas. 

Like if The make colors were like a red or rust color, then something like a dark flesh, or vermin brown highlight would be nice.  You could highlight with grey and then glaze it with a different color, to lean the color toward the surrounding colors.

Also remember that black isn't usually true black in real life, so another color glazed into the shadows, like was mentioned would also be very effective.  A mix of Scorched brown (which is a burnt umber) and ultramarine blue (which is the actual color, not the color of the ultramarines) is used as a very nice "mixed black" by a lot of painters working on canvas, and can be very good for a shade color.

Cheers

James

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »
Go with the dark brown.

I wouldnt recommend the gloss idea because this very often doesnt give the effect of highly polished leather, more that something is wet or slimey.

I would use a dark brown to highlight the black as you have said

Acculy I find it ends up looking more like there wearing PVC. My Inquisitor looks like he should be in a Adult Movie.
>___O

Offline Crazy ghost

« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2009, 01:10:01 AM »
Thanks for the input. So far I painted then chaos black and washed with lich purple. So far so good. I will highlight with ultramarines blue as his robes are of a, deep blue, to simulate the reflection. This will be a very light, glazed, highlight. I will show it to you guys when done.

Next time I will use a dark grey or dark blue instead of chaos black. Funny thing is chaos black is not 100% block. It has a low amount of blue in it last time I checked it's hex code somewhere (can't find the link anymore).