News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GW's Mouldline remover  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
GW's Mouldline remover
« on: December 25, 2016, 04:16:10 PM »
Hey;

has any of you had any experience with GW's tool for mould lines? Is it good, decent, bad? More importantly, is it worth it - it seems relatively cheap (especially compared with other GW products) and looks much safer than the hobby knife I'm using right now (I'm a bit careless sometimes and tend to nick my fingertips), but is it efficient enough to warrant the change?

Cheers and merry Christmas!
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: GW's Mouldline remover
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 04:21:32 AM »
All I can say at the moment is that I will let you know. I am in the same position as you at the moment in that I am sick to death of stabbing myself with a knife when removing mould lines. I have decided that I am going to buy one of GW's as soon as I can get into my local shop.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 06:51:24 AM »
I used it and was very happy with the results. Granted, I used it on Finecast mostly, which is much softer and easier, but it was fine on plastic too - especially large, flat areas. I imagine it would still be fine on plastic, and of great value on Resin.

That said, I have misplaced it in the hobby ether and as such, haven't used it in over a year.

Hope that helps.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:29:17 AM »
I've used it extensively. I bought it to use on my first commission work (a Revenant Titan) a few years back and Im SUPER glad I got it. It is really amazing... I prefer working with a round file on smaller miniatures, but on larger surfaces the Mould Line Remover is amazing. Its super high quality with a great weight to it. Highly recommended.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »
I know this is a bit of threadomancy, but I've had the chance to see and use the item in question for myself  and wanted to share my impressions should anyone have the same dilemma as I had back in December.

(I will for the moment disregard the fact that I've ordered the tool - along with a couple other things - in late January and it arrived this week... go figure)

Disclaimer: so far I have been using a regular hobby/craft knife with an extendable blade and, well, suffice it to say that while it is practical, the handle is really comfortable. Overall quality of the remover is also quite high - although it comes in a slightly flimsy plastic container, the tool itself is top-notch.

As far as working with materials, so far I'm under the impression that it's actually easier to use it on plastic than the regular hobby knife - not to mention that with the knife getting to some of the lines is tricky, but the rounded tip of the remover is great for even the most hidden mould lines. Also no risk of stabbing yourself!

I have no idea how long it will last and whether or not I will have to sharpen its edges at some point in the future, but so far so good, I highly recommend it, great utility for a reasonable price.
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: March 4, 2017, 07:35:40 AM »
Thats great Faeluchu... I've had mine for years... and really put it through its paces and its still trucking. Glad you decided to go and pick it up, even more glad its working for you!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
Thanks for the update Faeluchu. I still haven't got around to getting one yet but after seeing your post I am more determined to get one.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »
I've tried it and liked it. The tool seems durable and one can easily find the right amount of pressure needed to remove stuff. Then again, I usually do the same thing with the back of my hobby knive. The knive's blade is much thinner than the scraper though, thus you might find it too "flexy". Will eventually buy the tool anyway but again, the hobby knive works well enough.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 07:16:35 AM »
Didn't know there was one. Thanks for the heads up, Faeluchu!