News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1st 7th Edition Ork List  (Read 1537 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
1st 7th Edition Ork List
« on: June 14, 2015, 10:04:45 PM »
Okay, I broke down and finally picked up the new codex, even after reading all the posts of infinite sorrow. This new codex is a tough pill to swallow, but I'm going to give it the good old waaaagh try. Besides, I've been bleeding green since 2nd edition and I can't turn my back on my boyz.

I threw together a list trying out the new ork horde detachment although I've only got 2 mobs that can take advantage of the Hammer of Wrath, but I love being able to take a 3rd HQ. May split the army into 2 FOC to split up the koptas more if I'm not taking advantage of the HOW rule.

Please let me know what you think. I haven't played a game with orks since 5th edition, which at the rate we change editions really wasn't that long ago, and I would really like your input.

Both bosses go with the boyz mob, the mek with the manz all joined by the kanz marching up the board. Grotz camp and go to ground when shot at. Snik rot and koptas outflank.

Ork Horde Detachment

Warboss   ('eavy armour, big choppa)(69)
Warboss   ('eavy armour, attack squig)(79)
Big Mek   (Mega Armour)(75)

Boyz Mob
26 Slugga Boyz + 3 Big Shoota + PK Nob (230)

Gretchin Mob A
10 Grots + Runtherd(35)
Gretchin Mob B
10 Grots + Runtherd(35)
Gretchin Mob C
10 Grots + Runtherd(35)

Mega Nobz x 5 (4 x Skorcha)   (220)

Kommandos
13 + 2 Burna         (180)
Snik Rot         (60)

Deffkoptas x 2 Rokkit-Launcha   (60)
Deffkoptas x 2 Rokkit-Launcha   (60)
Deffkoptas x 1 Rokkit-Launcha   (30)

Killa Kans
6 x Grotzooka         (330)

(1498)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: 1st 7th Edition Ork List
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:41:51 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the slowest, but still the best ork forum on the WWW.

While I am a speed freak player, I have tried a similar list to yours (except no kans) and did ok. The foot slogging hoard seems to still be viable.

Of course, since you posted here I must recommend a few tweeks . Instead of having mega armor, put the big mek on a bike, this makes him one tougher, and faster so he can get to the kans to make a repair or keep them moving, and gives him a 4+/3+ jink save that works out way better than a mega armor save when shot at by meltas, etc. Better shooting too (twin link is an orks best friend).

As for the death coptas, go for the second FOC, (you already have the models and grots don't need hammer of wrath) this way you can split all your coptas into squadrons of one. No worries about failed LD tests sending the wingman off the board. They are either on the board or dead.

A sneaky trick is to make the grots your primary detachment, this way they get the objective secured rule, and it is a hoot to have a unit of grots trump a unit of vanguard for an objective at the end of the game.

The rest of my advice would be to something along the lines of adding in trucks and buggies, but I see your not really trying for the speed freak thing here, so I will let it go for now.

In the mean time, we are rebuilding the ork community on this board after a devastating dark eldar attack that had the board down for a few months and the majority of the former green tide we had here failed their LD tests and scattered to the four winds.

Glad to have you here, and hopefully we will have some more replies soon, otherwise I might have to force erm I mean con, erm, uh, talk you into becoming a card carrying member of the KoS.  ;)

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »
I definitely liked the idea of using 2 FOC, so I'll split the army in two. I also loved your idea in another post about giving grots a trukk to ride around in. I'll have to bump the list up to 1750 to fit everything in. The only questions I have are do the mega nobz and kommandos fit? I loved the kommandos in 5th, hated them in 6th, now they look pretty good on paper, especially with Snikrot. I even have the kommandos painted up as red skullz. I really liked the mega nobz, but do they fit? I've also given them a trukk to help get them stuck into close combat quicker, as I used to play them, and to provide multiple target allocation to the enemy. If they don't quite fit, I may take their points and put in some more grots to give me 3 troop choices in each FOC, which also allows me to take some more hq choices, by running two ork horde detachments. I've got two shokk attack guns that I love playing because they are so unpredictable and maybe another warboss.

Let me know your thoughts.

FOC 2 (948) Secondary Detachment

Warboss   ('eavy armour, big choppa) (69)
Warboss   ('eavy armour, big choppa, attack squig)(84)

Boyz Mob A
26 Slugga Boyz + 3 Big Shoota + PK Nob (230)
Trukk (to be used by Gretchin Mob B)(30)

Gretchin Mob A
10 Grots + Runtherd(35)

Kommandos
12 + 2 Burna(170)
Snik Rot(60)

Deff Dread (grot riggers) (90)
Deff Dread (grot riggers) (90)

FOC 1 (800) Primary Detachment

Big Mek   (Warbike)(60)

Mega Nobz x 5 (4 x Skorcha)(220)
Trukk(to be used by Nobz) (30)

Gretchin Mob B
10 Grots + Runtherd(35)
Gretchin Mob C
10 Grots + Runtherd(35)

Trukk(to be used by Gretchin Mob C)(30)

Killa Kans
6 x Grotzooka   (330)

(1748)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
Now that looks like a good and krumpy list. I might have to try it myself, except for the dreads and kans of course.  ;)

So, since none of the other bosses of this forum seem to have shown up to post, I guess I get to put pressure gently persuade you into the speed freaks. You know how us kult types are... :o

I did run a grots in a truck list, that was hilarious. When my opponents found out that the three truck loads of grots were my primary detachment he was besides himself. And having a unit of three grots (and herder) trump his terminators in a land raider for an objective at the end of the game was priceless. Too bad I didn't have a camera ready when I reminded him about the objective secured rule.

As you can tell, I play to have fun, and I quit going to tournies as they were getting to be "not fun". Too many WAAC players there. I have tried many styles of list, except the kan wall type builds as I don't have kans or dreads. I might get some someday, and since AOD and OD are mysteriously absent I might get away with it without getting ratted out to the KoS inquisition...

Have fun, and make sure to let us know how you do with your list on the battle field.

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak