News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,500 point Hive fleet Medusa (or something to that efffect)  (Read 410 times)

Offline Eldrad36

• She is right i am good. How good?......MMM so good
1,500 point Hive fleet Medusa (or something to that efffect)
« on: November 21, 2006, 01:13:07 PM »
RIght i have been away for a long time but now im back trying to get back into the hobby and even with the prices that look like im buying minatures made out of diamonds and a new set of rules (told you i have been away for a while) im making list again tell me what you think

HQ

Tyrant
Wings
Adrenal glands
Scything talons x2
Bio-Plasma
Toxin Sacs

Broodlord
Feeder Tendirls

bodygaurd
Genestealer x8

ELITES

lictor x2

Warriors x3
Enhanced senses
Barbed strangler
Death SPitters x2
Rending Claws

Warriors x3
Enhanced senses
Barbed strangler
Death SPitters x2
Rending Claws

TROOPS

Gaunts x8
Spinefists

Gaunts x10
Spinefists

Gaunts x10
fleshborer

Gaunts x10
fleshborer

Hormogaunt x10

Hormogaunt x10
Enhanced senses

Hormogaunt x10
Enhanced senses

HEAVY

Carnifex
Venom Cannon
Barbed Stangler
Enhanced Senses

Carnifex
Twinlinked Devourer x2
Enhanced senses

1504 or someting

Now i have been out of the game for a while so i want to weaknesses for this army, against other armies as i don't know the codex's as well as i used to, u guys experience would be a gr8 help.

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
Re: 1,500 point Hive fleet Medusa (or something to that efffect)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 01:35:04 PM »
Welcome back!  And welcome to Tyranids!

Gonna take this one at a time, for my sake.

HQ:

Nothing wrong with a good flyrant, but a good flyrant has wings, two sets of scything talons, and that's it.  It is already fast enough and high enough WS (depending on which Adren you gave it) to not need adren glands, bio-plasma is not a good point investment on a hive tyrant, and toxin sacs are a waste on something that hits almost everything on a 3+ at str 5 ignore armor saves, and with str+2d6 AP anyways.

Feeder tendrils are a bad biomorph for anything, and mores o with genestealers and broodlord, who hit almost everything on a 3+ already.  Other than, broodlord looks fine.  Depending on who you are fighting, I would suggest Enhanced Carapaces on the Broodlord and his bodyguard, as they usually take heavy fire the first two turns.

Elites:

Lictors are hit or miss generally, and unless you are playing someone who you can assassinate a main character (like an ethereal), leave the lictors out, and buy something else with the points.

Nothing wrong with the Warriors, though I always like Toxin Sacs on shooty warriors (especially with barbed strangler).

Same thing with the second warriors, which are identical.  Good choice of rending claws over Scything Talons, most newbies think the cheaper STs are a better choice.

Troops:

Bigger gaunt broods!  If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, you NEED bigger broods for Termagants and Spinegaunts.  15ish is usually the best number for a single brood in my experiance, but much less than that just dies too fast.

Interesting choice there having both Spinegaunts and Termagants.  But since you have both, you are taking points away from both, so neither do their job as well as they could.  Chose either Spinegaunts (if you want throw-aways) or termagants (if you want throw-aways that can actually do some damage) and stick with one of them.  It can work with both, but if you choose one or the other, they will do their job better.  You can take either, if you do decide to stick with one, but I have always liked Termagants better.

Okay, you have Enhanced Senses on the Hormagaunts?  WTF?  Anyways, assuming that is a typo, they look fine.  I usually like bigger broods with hormagaunts (12-16 is my sweet spot) but numerous smaller broods can be good too.  But don't put any upgrades on them.  With a few exceptions, hormagaunts are much better without upgrades.

Heavy Support:

Both Carnifi (or whatever the plural of Carnifex is) look fine.

Overall, a pretty good list.  If you take out the lictors, you will have enough points to convert all those spinegaunts into Termagants and raise the size of most of the termagants squads by atleast a bit.  One problem I see: For a 1500 point list, it has very little anti tank.  The Warriors can maybe take out low armor ones, but you have a squad of slow genestealers, a Hive Tyrant, and a carnifex for anti tank.  The Hive Tyrant can kill them with ease, but he is the only thing that really can, since as I said, Broodlord is slow, and carnifex can only penetrate with one shot.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"