News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bragg's Command  (Read 1634 times)

Offline thegoodfish

Bragg's Command
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »
Hi all,

This is my new piece - a short story based around the Tanith First-and-Only. It's a comedy story starring Bragg and Larkin. All criticism welcomed.

Hope you like it. If you do, my other story is on here, called "Heaven Sent".

Cheers,

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:40:03 PM by thegoodfish »

Offline thegoodfish

Re: Bragg's Command
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
Bragg’s Command

The message contained precious little information. It had been thrust into Bragg’s hand by one of the battlefield relay servitors. It said simply to leave the Ghost’s trenches and to make way, urgently, to the quartering area of the Grismas Gaolers 4th Division. Gaunt had already authorised the request so Bragg was immediately dismissed from the Ghosts and sent on his way. He bumped into Larkin as he walked back from the front lines. The Ghost’s sniper had been concussed two days previously after the building he was using as a firing position had been demolished by a stray artillery round. He’d survived more or less intact, but Gaunt had ordered him to Dorden’s sickbay until the medic gave him permission to leave. As it turned out, Larkin felt that Dorden was being over cautious, and the sniper was going out of his mind with boredom. As soon as he’d seen Bragg, he’d been over for a chat, and as soon as Bragg told him about his special instructions, he’d decided to come along too.
They were surprised to find a Chimera waiting to take them to their destination. The driver checked Bragg’s ID, apparently not bothered than an extra trooper had come for the ride, and waved them into the back. Bragg ducked to avoid denting his head on the reinforced plating. Larkin, much smaller, and twice as talkative, had no such problem.
“So where we going again, Try?” he asked again.
“My orders are to report to Colonel Hastings. I’ve been seconded,” he let the last word ring out, relishing it. It sounded important. He knew that Larkin knew it sounded important. “You, on the other hand, are a bored squig-for-brains and trying to amuse yourself.”
“Aye,” admitted Larkin, peering happily out of the firing holes. “What do you think they want you for?”
“How should I know?” shrugged Bragg. “I’ve never heard of Hastings befo… Oh-“
He paused, recalling something from the last week.
“I know what this is about. Do you remember what Gaunt said about me? When I took out that Ork truck with the las-cannon? He said he hadn’t seen a better shot.”
Larkin, something of a perfectionist with a rifle, bristled.
“Try, it took you five goes to hit it. It wasn’t like it was small either, and it was painted bright red.”
“All Ork stuff is painted red.”
“Well, it should have been an easy target, then. You’d nearly emptied the battery pack by the time you hit the fething thing. I seriously doubt you’re here to give marksmanship lessons.”
Bragg sighed. He could have worked out that much himself. There was a reason he was called ‘Try again’. What Larkin failed to understand was that it was a remarkable feat of strength. Bragg was a large man; exceptionally so for the typically slender Taniths. The Las-cannon he’d shouldered was usually mounted on a tripod with a two man crew. Perhaps he was here to teach the Colonel’s men about – what was the word? – ingenuity.
The Chimera rattled and bounced around trenches, tracing a path parallel to the front lines. They were on Van Burg Prime, as were other units of the Guard, although they hadn’t seen much action so far. The Guard were ostensibly here to protect the planet from a marauding Waaargh which had launched from the adjoining star system, but already the fight had gone out of the Orks. Well, that wasn’t strictly true, it was just, as with many Ork war crusades, the greenskins had turned on each other before they’d even reached their enemies. The Waaargh fleet had splintered apart and Orkish craft had fallen on planets all over this sector. While none of the individual tribes were going to trouble any of the planetary systems, Orks had an aggravating habit of spreading spores and multiplying rapidly so several battalions of the Guard had been deployed across the star system to put down any greenskin threat. The bulk of the fighting was being done by Hasting’s command, the Grismas Gaolers 4th Division. The Tanith-First-and-Only had been deployed in support, and apart from the brief action that saw Larkin injured and Bragg’s improvisation with a heavy weapon, there hadn’t been a lot to do.
Bragg then was in a state of happy anticipation when the Chimera slowed to a halt and the deployment door swung open. They were surprised to see the officer already there, apparently waiting for them with some impatience.
“Thank the Emperor, you’re here,” said Colonel Hastings by means of introduction. Bragg pushed his bottom lip up, a gesture intended to let Larkin know that he knew how importantly he was being treated. They clambered out of the back of the Chimera, Bragg again remembering to duck. Hastings sized him up and apparently liked what he saw.
“Yes, yes, you should do nicely.”
Before Bragg could ask exactly why he was here – Gaunt’s orders had omitted that specific part – the Colonel was moving off over the training ground, marching at a brisk pace. He still managed to keep the conversation going.
“They’re tearing the place apart. We can’t get them to stop.”
Bragg put a burst on to catch up, with Larkin at his heels. He could see why he’d been requested for this. It sounded like the sort of work he was good at. He was good at cracking skulls, and he was looking forward to putting down some greenskins.
He stopped though, suddenly anxious, when he saw the wide grin on Larkin’s face.
“What’s the matter with you?” Bragg asked, feeling very suspicious of anything that made Larks happy.
“Oh, nothing,” said Larks, the picture of innocence. “I’ve just remembered something special about Hasting’s unit, that’s all.”
“Well, are you going to tell me, then?” Bragg asked Larkin, now feeling very uncomfortable.
Larkin’s eyes sparkled with amusement, but he didn’t answer.
His confusion wasn’t helped by the fact they weren’t headed toward the front lines, but rather towards a Barracks set about a mile behind the trenches. And already he could hear the commotion inside. A line of troopers stood around the outside of the Barracks, apparently guarding their own quarters. The Colonel stopped before he crossed the line. The noise inside was increasing now – loud brays of something bestial and apparently very unhappy.
The Colonel turned back to address Bragg.
“Okay,” he said, catching his breath. “I’ll come in with you, but I’ll be honest: if you can’t get control, then I’m not sticking around. Ready?”
Bragg had no idea if he was ready or not, but he nodded anyway. The line of guardsmen opened up to let the three of them through, and then they were at the door to the Barracks. Bragg noticed, with some concern, that the thick steel had been dented in several places. Apparently from the inside.
“Remember,” whispered Hastings opening the door. “Act like you’re in charge.”

The barracks was probably designed to billet about fifty men. It had undergone some intensive reconstruction though, some deliberate and some definitely unintended. If there had been twenty-five bunks here once, they’d been removed and replaced with ten, much larger mattresses. Bragg wasn’t an expert on these matters, but he very much doubted the beds had been supplied smashed to kindling, or that the wreckage that had been created so that it could have been wielded around the nine angry Ogryns in the barracks.
“Aw feth,” he said, surveying the damage and the rampaging Abhumans. Bragg had seen Waaarghs that had caused less devastation than this.
The Ogryns were highly agitated and were expressing this by smashing the barracks, and each other, up. Two of them were rolling on the floor together, punching and biting, and the ground trembled like it was being struck by artillery fire. So far they hadn’t been noticed, although in the noise and the confusion it wasn’t that surprising. The Colonel cupped his hands over Bragg’s ear and shouted to be heard over the mayhem inside.
“They’ve been like this all morning. Ever since their Bone’ead stepped on a mine.”
“Is he alright?” asked Bragg. Ogryns were notoriously tough.
“No, he trod on another straight away. We’re still finding bits of him in the trenches. We told them everything was fine, and brought them back here, but they’ve figured out he’s not coming back. Duck!”
Bragg didn’t catch the warning at first, coming so naturally into the flow of the Colonel’s conversation, but soon understood when an Ogryn blasted an enormous hole in the barracks wall with his ripper gun: a clunky, big-bore automatic shotgun designed especially for the abhumans. The three of them cowered on the floor as the retort echoed around the room. The Ogryn in question looked at his own gun in a state of confusion, and then turned it so he could look down the barrel.
“Aw what?” said Larkin, his hands over his head.
The Ogyrn was reaching for the trigger, but was having trouble locating it as he’d reversed the natural position of the gun.
“Is he trying to kill himself?” said Larkin, his voice whiny and high.
“Probably not,” sighed the Colonel. “They’ve never really understood why the guns ‘go boom’.”
“Then what’s he doing?” shouted Bragg.
“Seeing what blew out the wall and made the noise, I’d guess.”
The Ogryn had now found the trigger, but fortunately for him, was pulling it, instead of pushing it.
“He’s going to blow his head off,” said Larkin.
“Mmm,” agreed the Colonel, making no move to stop him.
“Feth,” swore Bragg, pushing himself to his feet. “Oi!” he shouted.
It was loud enough to make Larkin’s ears hurt, but nowhere near loud enough to distract the rampaging Ogryns. The one wielding the ripper gun was now shaking his weapon up and down in an effort to make it fire.
“OI!” screamed Bragg as loud as he could. It worked. The Ogryns stopped as one, including the armed brute, who dropped his gun in shock. It landed on the floor, pointing directly at the three of them, but mercifully didn’t fire.
Larkin felt sick.
The Ogryns apparently found their unity and rounded on Bragg. The trooper realised then this was the first time he’d ever been this close to these abhumans and felt a sweat break out on his forehead. Ogryns were the end result of centuries of life on high-grav planets. They were nearly nine feet tall and nearly as wide, and sculpted out of muscle and ugliness. Although physically imposing, their evolution had taken several steps back with regards to their intellect and they were considerably less smart than the average Ork. They were, however, every bit as capable of the Greenskin’s viciousness and brutality. They ganged up on him, and Bragg, a good head taller than most men, was still an easy two feet smaller than the brutes crowding him. Fortunately for him, though, and the Imperium in general, Ogryns love the Emperor and have some understanding that they are on the same side as the Guardsmen.
“What you want?” said the Ogryn who had been about to blow his own head off.
“Yeah!” agreed another wearing a big iron helmet.
For such spectacularly ugly creatures, they were strangely uniform – each had a big squashed nose that looked like it had been broken and not reset properly (which it probably had), squinty eyes, few teeth and big, gaudy earrings.
“What you want?” said another, apparently not realising the question had already been asked.
“Yeah!” chimed the one wearing the helmet again.
“You Ogryn?” asked another, perfectly innocently.
Bragg flustered, felt his cheeks burn. He’d been called something unpleasant things before but – Sweet Emperor! – never an Ogryn.
“No!” he said.
He didn’t dare turn around, and he couldn’t hear anything, but he knew – knew – that Larkin was laughing right now.
The Ogryns took this news badly. They stamped nearer to Bragg. The trooper, for his part, was rooted to the ground by some vague idea it would be a bad thing to run, and sheer fear.
“For the Emperor’s sake, Bragg, tell them you’re in charge!” shouted the Colonel from behind him.
One of them was stooped over him now. Bragg could smell his bad breath. The reek of his sweat and odour surrounded him like an aura. He shouted his answer back without daring to turn around.
“But I’m not,” he said, somewhat feebly.
The Ogryn before him was breathing heavily and flexing his considerable muscles. Bragg couldn’t know this but only some dimly remembered code of conduct was stopping him from dismembering Bragg. The Ogryn was sure that the Commissars had told him that was a bad thing to do.
“Listen Trooper,” cried the Colonel, “If you can’t get them under control then they’re going to have to be put down. You look three-quarters stupid and hulking enough to be an Ogryn, why do you think Gaunt sent you? Now just act like one.”
Now he could hear Larkin laughing hysterically. Bragg wished he were anywhere else right now; the Frontlines, a dropship, the Warp, anywhere but here. He sighed, then sucked in his breath. Think Ogyrn.
“Of course, I’m yer bleedin’ Bone’ead,” he shouted back. His face was angled up and directly into the face of the Ogryn.
The abhuman seemed taken aback. “But you’s too short.”
“Yeah!” That was fething Iron hat again.
Bragg though quickly. “Not too short too stamp all over you!” he said, praying to the Emperor his bluff would hold.
The Ogryn blinked. Then again. Bragg wondered whether he’d break his fingers if he had to punch him.
Then, to his eternal relief, the Ogryn stepped back into the ranks of the others.
“Better!” shouted Bragg. His throat was getting sore. “Now, you better be ready to follow orders!”
The Ogryn that had been seconds away from pulverising him, beamed happily.
“Ogryn’s follow orders,” he said, showing a few mouldy teeth.
“Yeah!”

By shouting as loud as he could, Bragg inserted himself as the Bone’ead. After much more shouting, and berating, he managed to get them busy trying to tidy up the brutalised barracks as best they could. There was a lot of shoving and arguing between them, but Bragg quickly realised he was going to have to accept this. While they were merrily tidying up, the Colonel slipped over to him.
“Good work, Bragg. I’ll be sure to tell Colonel-Commissar Gaunt how useful you’ve been.”
Bragg thought about the news of this spreading amongst the Ghosts.
“I’d appreciate it if you didn’t,” he said.
“Oh, don’t be so modest, Try,” said Larkin, appearing at his side. “I think Gaunt, Rawne, Corbec and the others would love to hear about how you can pass for an Ogryn.”
Bragg looked withering at him, but Larkin didn’t care. The sniper’s smile was so wide it looked like it would break his face in two.
“Anyway,” said Hastings, dragging the conversation back to its purpose, “there’s another Bone’ead being sent down from the fleet, but he won’t be here till tomorrow. You’ll have to babysit them till then.”
Larkin laughed so much he had to wipe tears away from his eyes.
“Sir,” asked Bragg quietly, “I request then that Trooper Larkin stays with me till then.”
“Fine,” said the Colonel.
Larkin stopped abruptly. “What? I can’t-“
“Now, now,” cautioned Bragg, “You have your orders, Larks.”
“But look at them!” he whined. “I’ll be trodden on!”
“I’ll take that risk,” said Bragg.
He turned to the officer. “Anything else I need to know?”
Hasting scratched his head. “Don’t think so, should be a quiet night.”
The Officer thanked him again and left. Bragg watched him leave, feeling that the Colonel was going to turn out to be wrong.

It was late into the night when they finally got some shut-eye. The Ogryns had eventually found a mattress each and settled down. So far, there’d been a brawl over whose mattress was whose, and then one of them had tried to take his ripper gun to bed with him and blown a hole in the floor. Bragg had sent Larkin out to frantically explain to the watch that they weren’t under attack. Finally, torturously, he’d managed to get them all to lie down and close their eyes.
Bragg was exhausted and ready to turn in himself. There was a spare bed as the Bone’ead no longer needed it. He sat on that, and felt his eyes close all by themselves.
“Boss?” asked one. The Ogryn was making an effort to moderate his voice, but it was still uncomfortably loud.
“Yes?” he said, hoping to convey some of his displeasure with his tone of voice.
“Me want story.”
Oh Feth, thought Bragg.
“Story?”
“Yeah. ‘bout Emperor or somethink.”
“Yeah!” said the usual echo.
Now they were waking up again, and more alarmingly, waving their ripper guns in the air.
“Alright,” sighed Bragg. He couldn’t be bothered to go into the Horus Heresy at this time of night, so he decided to tell them about another special man.
“I’ll tell you about my Commissar,” he started, forgetting to speak in Ogryn dialect. Fortunately, none of the abhumans seemed to notice.
“Me like Com-miss-ar,” said one.
“Yeah!”
“Alright, settle down. Commissar Gaunt is the leader – ah, boss, of my regiment: The Tanith First-and-Only…”
In turn, as much as they tried to fight it, the Ogryn succumbed to sleep. Bragg and Larkin sat on the mattress, listening to them snore and watched the stars twirl slowly in the night sky, courtesy of the gaping hole in the barrack wall.

The klaxons awoke them all with a start. Bragg hadn’t realised he’d dosed off until his ears were crackling with the sound of the screaming alarm and the Ogryn’s loud braying, apparently in competition.
“What’s going on?” he asked, hand to his head.
Larkin was already lucid, and rummaging for his rifle.
“We’re under attack,” he said. “Greenskins.”
The alarm confirmed it. An Ork raiding party was using the last of the night cover to attack the base.
Bragg didn’t know what annoyed him more; the assault on the base or the fact that all the Ogyrns were awake and howling after he’d settled them down.
“What do we do?” asked Bragg.
“Why are you asking me?” complained Larkin. “I don’t know. Fight, I suppose.”
“What about them? The Colonel told me to keep them here,” he asked, pointing to the angry mob.
“Sweet Emperor, Bragg. How about we use them instead?”
Bragg wondered why he hadn’t thought of that. He took a deep breath. Larkin covered his ears. 
“Ogryns!” he shouted, almost shaking the walls. “Get your guns!”
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:39:21 PM by thegoodfish »

Offline thegoodfish

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »

“Hurry up!” snapped Larkin. The sniper was positioned at the hole in the barrack’s wall. “They’re almost in the base. Feth, there’s loads of them.”
“Always are with Orks,” said Bragg simply.
“What’s taking them so long?” asked Larkin, but it was obvious. Two of the Ogryns were fighting over their ripper guns, another had, amazingly, lost his since he’d gone to bed, and another was tangled in his bed sheet. Bragg put his hands over his eyes, willing himself to stay calm. Then he had another thought: Feth it! It was time he got angry with these brutes.
“Oi! Get you’s together. You’s not fit to even die for the Emperor!”
It seemed to work. The Ogryns stopped struggled, and the one tied in the bedsheet even managed to sensibly extricate himself.
“There’s greenskins out there that want to hurt the Emperor,” he said in all earnest.
Two of the Ogryns gasped. An angry growl rose up.
“We gonna let ‘em?” he asked.
The “NO!”s and “AARRRGHH!”s and single , solitary “YEAH!” resounded around the room.
“That’s more like it,” Bragg cried. “This way!”
Bragg charged out the hole in the wall. Larkin had to dive out of the way himself to avoid being crushed by the stampeding abhumans.

The Orks had pierced the watch defensive line through sheer numbers and made it to the barracks. Across the rockcrete assembly ground the Guardsmen were scrambling to place and desperately trying to hold back the green tide. The night sky was filled with colourful flares, throwing bright swatches of colour onto the rockcrete. On the line closest too him, Bragg saw Hastings shouting encouragement and firing into the Ork ranks.
“Larks, you better find somewhere to shoot from,” said Bragg, jogging alongside his fellow ghost.
“Got it,” acknowledged his friend. He spotted a sentinel at rest in a repair bay. From on top it would give him a good sniping position over the assembly ground. Larkin veered off, clutching his modified las-rifle as he ran.
Bragg was two hundred feet from the battlelines. He slowed to a halt, looking for any breach to throw the Ogryns into. For the moment the Guard was holding. Two ranks of Guardsmen were strafing the advancing Orks and dropping them as fast as they could spill towards them. The horde was creeping closer though, and the twitching Ork corpses were nearly close enough to touch the feet of the defenders.
Bragg heard the thundered approach of the Ogryns behind him and tried to think what Gaunt would do.
“Ogryns, stop!”
The abhumans reluctantly slowed. Bragg could see they were champing at the bit to get into the fight.
“Right, this is what we’re going to do. We’re going to act in support, and shore up the line wherever the Orks get thro….”
He stopped as he realised he’d totally lost his squad. Feth, he’d stopped talking like an Ogryn. He took a breath and tried again. He noticed that his squad were peering past him anxiously.
“Right! This is how it’s done. You see a hole in the line – you get in there! Got it?”
Smiles all round.
“Yes, Boss-Sir!”
At that moment the first hole was punched in the line. A Nob squad had weathered the las-fire and pounded their way through the defenders. Bragg pointed to three of his men. “You three. Get over dere!”
He realised too late he’d expected too much of them. The Ogryns looked at each other, counting on fingers, then charged past him as one heading for the hole in the line. Bragg watched them kick up dust then raced after them, swearing.

The Ogryns collided into the Nob squad like a meteorite striking a planet. The Nobs were hurled back behind the lines, followed by the snarling and howling Ogryns. The first to reach them was the one that Bragg had stopped from shooting himself. He’d apparently worked out the problem with his ripper gun and used it to blow out the stomach of a Nob. Another dragged him down, so the Ogryn dropped his shotgun and starting punching in return. These Orks were larger and tougher than the average greenskin, and were reasonably well matched in strength with Bragg’s squad. The rest of the troopers spilled into the fray, some shooting, most missing, and the rest using their shotguns as clubs. The helmed Ogryn fell into a wrestling match with two of the Nobs. Another of his squad punched a Nob hard enough to decapitate him. Bragg watched all of this in awe and horror, then remembered he’d better pitch in. He shouted orders for the defending troopers to hold fire, and then plunged over the line to join his squad.

For the first time in his life, Bragg was the smallest man in the fight. He was also in the way; the Ogryns and Nobs were fighting with hatchet and club, and he was in as much danger of being squashed by his own men as by the enemy. Then a Nob rose up before him and cackling, threw itself at him. Bragg pounced forward too, firing on full auto. Three shots punctured the Ork’s chest, causing it to yelp, but little more. It swung its hatchet down; Bragg blocked with his rifle and then was left holding the pieces of his weapon. The Nob snapped its knee up; Bragg tried to dance back but was too slow, and caught most of the blow. His nose snapped first, then the world disappeared as the hefty green knee filled his face. He was pitched back off his feet. Bragg rolled as soon as he landed, dodging another hatchet swing and kicked out. He connected with the Nob’s shin, a blow that would have broken a man’s leg, but apparently did nothing more than irritate the Ork. Bragg reached for his Tanith blade, trying to ignore the warm blood rushing down his chin and into his mouth. Then an Ogryn, punching a Nob and being punched in return, collided into Bragg’s attacker, knocking him forward. The Nob fell on Bragg and drove him into the mud of the battlefield. The greenskin was two feet taller than him, and impossibly heavy and strong. Bragg stabbed it under the arm, then again, then the Nob pinned his wrist with one arm. The Ork laughed horribly, then pushed its palm over Bragg’s face, crushing broken bone, its hand muffling most of his scream. Then it was forcing him down, and the mud was claiming him. Bragg freed his leg and kicked as hard as he could, but the Ork wouldn’t relent. He bit down on the Ork’s fingers to no effect. The mud was around his ears now. Bragg panicked kicked and thrashed and screamed, his heart thudding in his ears. He couldn’t lift his blade, but he could turn it in his fingers. Bragg reversed the blade and flicked his wrist to drive the knife into the Ork’s forearm. The blade bit in deep, and warm, green blood spilled over the steel. Still the Ork held him fast. Bragg couldn’t breathe now. In desperation he twisted the blade and made a crater in the Ork’s arm. The Nob hissed and broke his grip. Bragg used his chance, slipped the blade free and then drove it into the Ork’s ear. It snapped against bone, then punctured through. The Ork howled and reared up. A las-shot scorched a hole between its eyes. The Ork croaked once, then fell fully onto him. Bragg had just time to mutter thanks to Larkin, when the weight of the Ork started to force him down into the mud again.

Just before he could drown, the face of one his men loomed over him.
“What you’s doing down dere, boss?”
Bragg had a mouthful of blood and dirt and struggled to answer. He mimed throwing the Nob off him, and after ten seconds of this, the Ogryn understood. The Ogryn lifted the enormous body with one arm and tossed it aside. He held out a huge palm for Bragg, but the trooper declined and pulled himself up. Bragg felt his nose and winced. It was sickening soft under his touch. His men had driven back the Nobs and were now distracted watching the traces of las-fire whistling around the battlefield. A head-count told him he hadn’t lost any yet, either, which was remarkable.

The troopers here had the upper hand again now and the ranks were holding, but there was a lot of noise coming from a few hundred metres down the line. He saw that was where most of the greenskins were concentrated, forming a wedge against the beleaguered lines of troopers. Bragg went to each of his men, patting them on their large backs, and redirecting them to the melee. They bounded off merrily, some forgetting their ripper guns, and all oblivious to the fact they were running through the fire of their own side. Bragg saw one of them winged by running into a las-shot. It scorched the Ogyrn’s arm. The abhuman stopped and scratched itself, and then carried on regardless. Bragg hurried after them, muttering darkly and keeping his head down.

Offline thegoodfish

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »

The fighting here was even more intense, and the Guard was losing. The Orks had broken the front line by throwing sheer numbers at the Guard until they were close enough to start grabbing the las-rifles out of the Guardsmen’s hands. The Ogryns piled into the flank, bashing a messy hole in the greenskin’s ranks. Bragg snatched a las-rifle from a fallen guardsmen and held back. What had he been thinking of diving into hand-to-hand fighting with the Nobs? He sent a quick prayer thanking the Emperor for his protection, and resolved to be nicer to Larkin when this was over. The Ogryns cut a swath through the Orks, hurling greenskin bodies into the air all around them. Bragg watched in grim satisfaction, picking off targets here and there with his own rifle, when he noticed something strange was happening. It seemed like more and more greenskins were being pitched into the air now, and each time the Ogryns were unleashing a volley of ripper gun fire to try and shoot the Ork before it landed. It took him a moment to realise his men had invented some kind of battlefield game. He was slow to see it as well; several of the Guardsmen had stopped shooting and were cheering the Ogyrns on each throw. Bragg took another deep breath.
“Oi! Stop messin’ about!”
Two of the Ogryns managed to hear him and looked suitably chastened.
He was trying to shout to the rest when he heard a high whine of steel being cut in two, chased by stomping retorts. Bragg had heard this before, and shivered despite himself. Further into the greentide, and slicing through its own men, was a Killer Kan. It was stomping straight for them. He shouted another warning to his men, but couldn’t be heard over the turmoil of the fighting. So again, Bragg flung himself into the fighting.

He waded over dead greenskins until he reached two of his men, the two that had heard him before, who were now apparently incapable of acting without his orders. The rest of the squad were almost in the centre of the Ork ranks now, fighting together while surrounded by a wave of greenskins three deep on all sides. The Ogryns were clubbing Orks with rhythmic blows, and one was even singing, but for each Ork they downed, another would be able to get in a blow with a fist or hatchet, and his men were being steadily cut down, even if they didn’t know as much. First, then, he had to get to his squad. Bragg flicked the las-rifle to full-auto and sprayed it into the ranks of greenskins. With some encouragement, he managed to get the two Ogryns to fire their own ripper guns, and Bragg winced as the enormous blasts flayed huge holes in the green skin lines. He was known for lugging some particularly heavy weapons around, but Feth! – these ripper guns were like destroyer cannons. It was like trying to hold back the tide though, and no sooner had they cleared a hole in the greenskins than more poured into the vacuum. They were sinking further into the battlelines too, and were being slowly cut off from the rest of the troops. He could hear the snap of las-fire behind him, and hoped that the rest of the guardsmen were as diligent in their firing as Larkin. He was still fighting to reach his men, when the Killer Kan got there first.

Greenskins are nothing if not inventive, and the Killer Kan was a typically Orkish counter to the Space Marine Dreadnaught. They were essentially armour and weapons, mounted on stubby legs and with an Ork wired to the triggers and welded inside. They shouldn’t work, by rights, but then most Ork vehicles seemed to defy logic in that manner. The first reached the Ogryns, cutting apart the greenskin his man had been fighting, and scything down with a buzz saw. The passed severed the Ogryn’s hand at the wrist, then passed easily into his chest and opened his rib cage. Bragg was approaching from behind, but couldn’t miss the arterial spray that fountained into the air. By the time the Ork machine withdrew the blade, it was coated with thick, sticky red blood. The other Ogryns saw what happened and reacted furiously. Two fell onto the Kan, beating large dents into its plating with the butts of their shotguns. The Killer Kan was staggered under the frenzied assault, but opened up with its rocket launcher, firing point blank into an Ogryn’s stomach and disembowelling it. The other cried out in fear and turned back, stamping over Orks to escape. A choppa blow took out its knee, and it fell, to be swarmed over by hatchet-weilding greenskins. The other Ogryns, seeing three of their teammates killed were on the point of panic. Bragg’s escort swept the final Orks out of their path, and he reached the rest just in time.
“Listen to me! I’m the boss!” he shouted, between breaths, falling into the middle of their ranks. Bragg paused to shot an approaching Ork in the mouth, and then continued.
“That’s just an Ork in a can. That’s all. Like your dinner!”
The Killer Kan was still staggering from the heavy blows it had taken and was staggering around drunkenly. The Ogryns gave it as much attention as they could. Some had been forced back into hand-to-hand again, but were still prioritising the metal can over the greenskins trying to chop them up. The helmed Ogryn brought his fist down on an Ork’s head like a hammer, snapping its neck immediately.
“You ain’t scared of your dinner are ya?”
The Ogryns knew the answer to that question, and charged back towards the Kan. Bragg was at the front, and had never been more reassured in his life than with the thunderous stampede of the Ogyrns at his heels.
He sprayed randomly with his rifle, until the battery pack died, then hurled it at the Kan. It bounced off harmlessly, but by then the first Ogryn had overtaken Bragg and tackled the Ork machine from behind. It lifted the Kan into the air, pinning its buzz saw arm down against the hull.
Bragg was still flanked by the two escorts that had got him back into the fight. He slapped one on the arm, “Open him up,” and then to the other “Get me that gun.”
Working as a team, the first Ogryn started heaving at the top plating of the Kan, pulling welded plates apart and sending rivets into the air. The other took hold of the rocket launcher, and with a deafening roar, wrenched the barrel and firing chamber from the machine’s grasp. The Ogyrn handed it to Bragg triumphantly. Bragg was about to thank him, when another wave of greenskins washed all around them. Bragg used the barrel to break an Ork’s jaw and shouted for the other Ogryns to get stuck in. Precision las-shots dropped targets around them, and Bragg knew that Larkin was back at his side. Then, with a triumphant roar, the entire upper casing of the Killer Kan was thrown into the air, accompanied by bolts and screws.
“Move it!” Bragg cried, hefting the rocket launcher to his shoulder.
The Ogryns thankfully understood this command and dived out the way. The Kan was dropped back to its feet, and span around to face Bragg. Its pilot could be seen through the exposed hull, a greenskin connected to the machine by a hundred wires all over its skin. It blinked at Bragg and came at him with its buzzsaw.
It was the best shot of his life. The rocket passed through the hull casing and crushed the Ork to a pulp. Whether or not Bragg had killed it, he’d never know as it detonated in the next second, blowing the entire machine to junk. All around Orks were flayed by heated shards of metal. Bragg was struck three times in the flak jacket by shrapnel, and then again by the concussive force of the explosion and went down. Just before he passed out, he heard the Orks sounding the retreat.

Later that day, he woke up in the Barracks. The six remaining Ogryns were all stationed around him and glaring angrily at a small man that was knelt as his bedside. Bragg looked blearily at him, and then hissed with pain. It was a familiar sensation – fresh wounds with the edge taken off by a good dose of pain killers.
“The Boss ay dead!” said one of the hulking men.
A big finger descended and poked him in the chest. Bragg yelped in pain.
“He def-in-at-lee ay dead,” confirmed the Ogryn.
“That’s enough!” said the smaller man. Bragg’s vision was blurred, but he recognised the medic’s emblem on the man’s uniform. “Are you trying to kill him?”
“It’s alright,” Bragg managed.
“We brought you back, boss,” said another Ogryn.
“Yeah!”
“That was quite a sight,” said another voice. Trooper Larkin walked into his field of vision. “You were held up in the air by all six of them. Even through my scope I wasn’t sure if I was seeing things.”
Bragg laughed at the thought. “So we won then?”
Larkin smiled. “Some fething fool nuked the Killer Kan at point blank. The Greenskins lost their nerve after that. Most of Hasting’s men are out there chasing them down.”
Bragg was about to tell Larkin where to go when he saw how pale the trooper was. Larkin saw that he saw and backed away, realising he’d let too much show.

Bragg’s nose was reset and bandaged, and then at midday he was officially relieved. Hastings entered with the new Bone’ead, who immediately set to angrily berating the rest of the men. The Ogryns for their part accepted their new leader without question. Bragg watched on, feeling, well he couldn’t quite describe what he was feeling; relief, mostly that his temporary command was over, but also some – if he admitted it – faint sadness and resentment he’d been so easily discarded.
Larkin was unusually serious too. “Come on, Try, let’s go back to the Ghosts.”
The two men left the barracks. Hasting’s nodded his thanks and offered to escort them back to the Chimera.

They crossed the training ground – stopping to ogle at the enormous heap of greenskins bodies set to be burned – and waited for the transport to arrive. Bragg found he didn’t want to look back at the Barracks, and he was impatient now to leave. So distracted was he, that he somehow didn’t hear the pounding footsteps approach behind him.
“Try,” said Larkin softly.
It was one of the Ogryns, he still couldn’t be sure which. The hulking abhuman was strangely quiet, and he was trying to hide something behind his back.
“Yes?” said Bragg, his tone curt.
The Ogryn was – unbelievably – shy.
“Go on,” said Bragg, softening his voice.
The giant showed what he was hiding. “’ere, Boss, me wants you to have this.”
It was his Ripper Gun. He handed it to Bragg who nearly toppled under its weight. Feth! he could comfortably shoulder an Auto-cannon but this thing was better suited welded to a Baneblade. With an enormous amount of effort he lifted it up. What was this thing made of? Then he remembered the Ogryns wielding it like a club in the thick of the battle – it had probably been over weighted to make it a more devastating hand to hand weapon. He couldn’t well carry this on his shoulder, and even if he could, he doubted he could reach the trigger at the same time.
“It’s very kind, but I don’t want-“ he started, then stopped.
In just two seconds the Ogryn had gone from jubilant to tearful.
“You’re making him cry,” said Larkin. He looked down at the little sniper expecting to see another piss-taking expression, but to his surprise Larks was serious.
It was true as well. The Ogryn was visibly distraught.
“You no like it?” he said, between sobs.
Bragg felt deeply ashamed.
“No, no!” he said, straining to lug the Ripper Gun onto his shoulder. “I love it. Really!”
“Yeah?” said the Ogryn, now apparently hurt and shy.
“Yeah!” insisted Bragg. He motioned firing the trigger and made a “BOOM!” noise.
The Ogryn frowned and reached for the gun. “Not like dat!”
Bragg quickly pulled it away before the Ogryn could blow a hole in anyone.
“I get it. I get it,” he said urgently.
The Ogryn considered him carefully, almost closing his eyes with concentration.
“You good boss, boss,” he said, and then stomped off back to his unit.
They watched him leave, stamping his path back to the barracks.
Hastings leaned in closer. “I can always give that to the new Bone’ead if you prefer.”
Bragg set it down with a groan, chipping the rockcrete. “Thanks.” 

The Chimera bounced and rattled as it took them back to their own unit. Larkin had been chuckling to himself for the last fifteen minutes. Occasionally he would look at Bragg, which would inspire him to laugh out loud again.
Just before they were back at the Tanith deployment area, Bragg got his attention by leaning very close to him, so his considerable bulk was over the sniper’s.
“Larks?”
“Yes, Try,” said Larks looking suddenly worried.
“You tell anyone about this and it won’t be an Ogryn that treads on you.”
And Larkin never did.

End.

Offline Sir Sam Vimes

• Wych
  • Pontificator Extremis of Goovil
    • http://amrothdin.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »
Brilliant story! Made me laugh on several occasions! :D

Haven't read any Gaunt books yet, but if they're as good as your story then I'll definitely check them out!

Nice work!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: September 4, 2008, 08:28:09 PM »
Awesome, Braggs pwns! I never read any of the Guant's Ghost books either, but I heard they were pretty good. It was pretty funny and yet intense with the fighting sceens, like when Bragg helped take on the Nobs. Great work Goodfish, keeping it up!

Offline Inquisitor Subs

« Reply #6 on: September 4, 2008, 08:54:45 PM »
Absolutely fantastic! I was laughing throughout the story.  You portrayed ogryns very well.

10/10