News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Grot based codex  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
Grot based codex
« on: February 7, 2011, 12:59:08 AM »
I posted in the ork boards recently how I wished they had more grot based entries in the codex.  They have grots, that serve thier purpose but they don't have much else.

I played back in the day whe Ghaz ran around with his nigh unkillable friend Makari.  I miss those days.  With the release of forge worlds grot tanks, and the super grot tank.  I kinda wanted to make a "fun" list that mirrored the ork dex, only made it slightly more grot heavy. 

As such I would need a few grot based HQ's, Elites, Fast Attacks, and Heavy slot options.  I've seen grot guard lists before, where they just use grotz instead of guardsmen.  But I wante to come up with something completely different.

I have a few ideas, so I'll post them here.  Feel free to adjust what I have listed, or add to it or add any other entries that make sense.  Also, since I will possibly be making this list if posible feel free to give ideas on making models for them as well.

HQ

General Grot (Needs a good name) and his command squad.  Same stats as codex grots, but higher LD, an additional wound and one additional attack in hand to hand.  He will have a "super" grot blasta, which would end up being the equivalent of a plasma pistol with the gets hot.  His command squad will have a Grot medical assistant, a grot standard bearer, and a grot commisar.  The standard lets any grot based unit within 12" of the command squad use the General Grot Ld for tests.  The Grot Medical assistant gives FNP to his squad and the grot commisar will auto rally any broken squad by killing d3 grots in that squad.  The command squad and the general will count as one IC in the sense that it can join other grot squads even though it is more than one model.  The squad will also have the rule "All grotz look the same".  As long as there are at least four grots in another squad not locked in CC, the first time one of the command squad takes a wound you may swith places with the grots in another grot squad.

Elites

Storm Grots.  Same stat as codex grots accept the grot blasta is now a grot rifle 24" range.  For every 10 grots in the squad (Max 30) you may upgrade one grot rifle to a grot supa rifle.  It is now 24+d6" but str 4, ap 4.  Consider it the equivalent of an unstable mini rokkit.  The squad can also equip up to one skorcha if it numbers over 20 models.  They also now have a 5+ armor save.  Since this group is better armed and trained it does not require runtherds.

Grot kommandos.  Stats the same as codex grots but LD is 8, A is 2, and WS and BS are both 3.  They will have the Stealth and Infiltrate special rules.  Since they are so small and weedy and naturally good at hiding, when they come in from reserve they may be placed directly into any terrain not currently occupied by an enemy  or friendly model.  They are equiped with grot blastas and metal shiv's as such they gain an additional attack in CC.  If there are at least 10 grots in the squad one grot may be upgraded to a suicide grot.  When this model dies place the large blast template centered on the model.  Every model hit suffers a str 4 ap 5 hit.

Grot tanks will be used here.

Troops

Troops can be the same as in the ork codex, but with the additional option to upgrade the blastas to grot rifles.  Also for every 10 grots in the squad you may attach one Big Gun from the codex Ork.

Fast Attack

I was thinking of Grot bikers.  Grots with bikes get the cover save and maybe a 5+ armor instead of the normal 4+.  Give them twin linked shootas instead of dakka guns.  Limit squad size to 20 though. 

Grot Storm boyz.  They get the normal 12" move during the movement phase like normal jump infantry, but they get the option of moving further.  Move one grot storm boy 6" forward.  Then roll scatter as if it was a deepstrike.  On a hit d3 models don't make it.  On a scatter, move the unit as designated.  Forgo the deepstrike mishap.  If the grotz scatter, then for every inch above six they scatter another grot dies.

Heavy

The big guns crew in the heavy slots can take a single Shokk attack gun at 0-1 instead of the 0-3 regularly used to big guns.  They can also use twin linked dakka guns at 0-3.

Killa kans are available here as well as the grot supertank.

I know it sounds crazy, but all suggestions are welcome.

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
Re: Grot based codex
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2011, 01:33:41 AM »
I don't care what you add, as long as The red Gobbo from Gorkamorka makes it into the fundex.

But maybe some sort of Grot sniper squad? I have no suggestions beyond the idea, I just have a little fella sitting by me now holding his little gun like a rifle, and always have him 'sniping' monstrous creatures on my paint desk.

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »
I've seen the model and I'm actually looking to get one off of ebay.  But I don't have his rules or know what he does. 

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
Okay, when I think of Grots, I think of teeming masses of chittering little bastards who steal, tinker and generally make a mess.

So, I think there are some units you definately should pin down; basic grot mobs (large amounts of cannonfodder), grot snipers (as opposed to ratling snipers, ie. shorties like to strike from afar), Squigriders or anything with squigs and grots, tons and tons of looted vehicles of all manners. Also a cannon that fires suicide grots. :P

As for the Grot General, perhaps call him something simple like Grot Big Boss, or Uberboss.

If you want this to have some sort sort feel to it, why not make it a grot "revolution" similar to that on Gorkamorka? We could draw all manners of French Revolutionary parallells then. :P (Green Guard Grot Infantry. :P )

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
I like it.  I'll start work on that imediately!

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
Would it trouble you to know Jack that I, your nemesis already have a fair bit of a Grot Codex already written?

NEW STUFF:
SPECIAL RULES:
•  Runty - The model is so small that they are very hard to see when in cover. Models with the Runty special rule gain the USR, Stealth.

•  Swarm ‘Em - Like Orks, Grots are a far more dangerous and courageous in larger numbers, but their natural proclivity to cower regardless tends to supersede any additional courage. Under the shouting’s of a Head Honcho or similar war toughened Grot, Grots can made to believe that you can win, especially if you fight as a swarm and always stab at the exposed parts in a fury of Stabby Knives. If the unit has a model with LD 7 or greater with them, at the beginning of any Assault phase, pass a Leadership test and the unit gains Furious Charge.

WARGEAR:
Banna -  A glorious banner covered in glyphs that epitomise the hidden strength and courage that can be found within Grots, and so when held aloft any Grots that sees it is instilled with a smattering of backbone.  As long as the banner waver is alive the unit may roll 3D6 for Leadership Tests and pick the lowest dice.

•  Snipe-gun - The long barrelled Snipe-gun is made from less than satisfactory building materials and utilises an unsophisticated scope, making it in comparison to any other races sniper rifles, a piece of crap, but in the hands of a Grot Sharpshooter, it becomes a lethal weapon.
Range
Str
AP
Type
24"X6Heavy 1, Sniper

•  Grot Armour - Armour plates that cover important parts on a Grot in much the same way as ‘eavy armour does for an Ork, except thinner and lighter so a Grot can wear it. A model with Grot armour has an armour save of 5+.

•  Supa Blasta
Range
Str
AP
Type
12"64Assault 2

TROOPS:
GROT MOB          65 POINTS
         WSBSSTWIALdSv
Head Honcho
-
Grot
-
Gun Team
-
Unit Composition:
•  1 Head Honcho
•  19 Grots

Unit Type:
•  Infantry

Wargear:
•  Grot Blastas
•  Stabby Knives

Special Rules:
•  Runty
•  Swarm ‘Em

Options:
•  May have up to 20 additional Grots for 3 pts per model
•  One Grot may have a Banna for +5 pts
•  For every nine models you may replace two Grots with a Gun Team armed with the following:
   - Big Shoota or Rokkit Launcha for +10 pts

Character:
•  The Head Honcho may replace his Grot Blasta and/or Stabby Knife with a:
   - Slugga for +1 pt
   - Supa Blasta for +10 pts
   - 'Urty Knife for +5 pts
•  The Head Honcho may take:
   - Grot Armour for +1 pt

SHARPSHOOTERS         35 POINTS
         WSBSSTWIALdSv
Headhunter
-
Sharpshooter
-
Unit Composition:
•  1 Headhunter
•  4 Sharpshooters

Unit Type:
•  Infantry

Wargear:
•  Snipe-gun
•  Stabby Knives
•  Hidey Cloak

Special Rules:
•  Runty
•  Swarm ‘Em

Options:
•  May have up to 5 additional Sharpshooters for 6 pts per model

I'm not exactly finished on the Grot Mob unit, but I think you get the idea well enough.

EDIT: In the process of creating my entry in the Grot-off I've  had other ideas and stuff come about for the Grot codex so I've began writting other units, as well as finishing others, which you can see here.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:01:44 PM by DropFall »

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2011, 12:21:02 AM »
sigh....one day I will do something that you have not already done better......lol

I like it.  I might, with your permission use all of that.  The head honcho and banna waver are great ideas.  I had wanted to do something for stealth but I much prefer how you tie it in. 

let it be known,...nemesis confirmed yet again.  One day this kommando will find a way to best you...one day soon!

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2011, 01:19:18 AM »
In the spirit of friendship you may use what I have, as long as I can have say when it comes to other units, and especially new special rules.

Offline the.wordless

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2011, 01:22:26 AM »
Oooo ok lets have a vs thing,

dropfall vs jack_merridew in a grot off.. make/convert a grot unit

Or even better make one on the ork forums.. let everyone compete and have the best units get into the grot codex. make a unit + conversion :D

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2011, 09:22:54 AM »
haha.

I would definately concede to drop on the codex.  As a "rival" he is the best person to keep things within reason.  And in all honesty, the units that he posted were exactly where I wanted to go with it. 

As for a a grot competition.  I'm game, but I have a little too much on my plate right now.  I'm creating an objective marker for the konversion boards, a squig for the "catch a squig" comp, and I'm trying hard to organize two games one for the feb-waaagh-ry campaign and one for the catch a squig. 

I also just purchased a stompa who by and far takes up most of my free time.  I'm trying to organize an apoc game between 8 players next month. 

Having said all that....

IF drop wants to wager some teef ina grot off, I'll find a way to make it happen.

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
What would this Grot-off involve? And didn't you already wager 5 Teef to beat me in the next comp? Would the Grot-off be open to all, Wordless seems very egar for another comp?

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »
haha, well, I'm running out of grotz!

I made one for the grot appreciation that I still have to mail to somebody (OD needs to send me his addy or I can send it to croggy, or keep it hell, I love the little bugger). 

I say that a grot off would be....Design a unit for the new grot codex.  Then model the unit (or a model from the unit as I am in no way ready to konvert and model 30 grotz).  And as for the wager....I've earned a few extra teef lately....so I will put down 3 teef for fluff and 3 for model.  To make it interesting...lets make it a requirement.  6 teef to enter the comp, winner gets 50% of all, second gets 30% and third gets 20%.  (Plus the usual bonus teef for winning as per the WoTW if we get sponsorship :)

Even without sponsorship, this rivallyry is slowly becoming a grudge match!

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »
The Teef wager should only be between us, otherwise people who don't have that amount of Teef, or not Teef at all can't enter.

When it comes to making the actual unit, one model from that unit should suffice. As it is, you have your Nemesis Competition, but as for the WotW involvement, I'll have to see what the Boss Council thinks.

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
Boss council or no, it's on....I'll start brainstorming.  My wife is going to kill me, but a vendetta is a vendetta.....she'll understand.

Wanted to add...

I have no idea how to get or make models for it, but I was think of the whole squig catapult from a few editions back.  There could be a rule that it fires d3 squigs a turn and on a 1 a squig eats a grot crew.

Also, since there are already grot guided bombs and missiles, they should be incorporated into this somehow.  Maybe a grot missile truck.  I think a missile brigade would be nice as well.  Squad would be 1-3 grot guided missiles.  They have to start in reserve.  They move as jetbikes.  Special attack "Kaboom".  If they are within 12" of an eligable target during the shooting phase they can turn on the afterburners and "rokket" towards thier target.  You remove one model from the missile brigade and place the large blast on a single target model within 12".  Roll scatter as normal.  All models hit take a str 7 ap 4 hit.  They can "kaboom" even if they have turboboosted this turn. 

I like the idea of having missiles jetting around truelly guided by the grots.  They would have a AV 10, since it's basically just a metal jetbike with explosives.  And the missile brigade would count as a squadron.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2011, 08:54:19 PM by Jack_Merridew »

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
Thats overcomplicating a straightfoward piece of equippment. The Grot Bomb already fufills the role of guided grot missile. 

You have to take into account the mindset of a Grot when creating a Grot Codex. They are wimpy and fearful 24/7, they're not willingly gonna get into a Grot Bomb at the behest of another Grot, only an Ork would have enough sway to do that.

This is a run down on what I had planned/schemed about in my Grot Codex so far:

HQ:
- Red Gobbo and bodyguard
- Some sorta Mek-grot and bodyguard

ELITE:
- Some sort of Eavy Armoured Grot battlesuit
- Larger, elite Grots

TROOPS:
- Grot Mob
- Sharpshooters

FAST ATTACK:
- Whirly Grots, Grots with little kopta packs, and twin guns
- Grot Tanks

HEAVY SUPPORT:
- Mega Grot Tank
- Killa Kans
- Big Batteries - 3 Batteries of 3 Guns
- Grotstrosity - A large walker with tons of Grots controlling it.

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #15 on: February 8, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
I like what you have so far.  And that makes sense about the grots not wanting to be on those missiles. 

I think we need a few more elite options.  I love the concept of a grot'trocity.  I'm terribly interested in trying to make one, but I have no idea how or where to begin.  The whirly grots make me think of inspector gadget, and that is always a good thing.  What about dedicated transports though?  I was thining of Warbuggies, but giving them transport capacity.  Looted wagons of course would work, the DPD rule fits with the grotz, but to call it a dedicated transport is hard to do.  Maybe if we didn't allow for the boomgun.

Just brainstorming as I go, so no sorry for jumping around a bit, but what if you could bring back the old grot save that ork boyz used to have if grots where near thier unit.  Give the buggies a 4+ cover save, if it saves then a grot that is currently embarked takes the full effect of the shot.  I know the old rule was set because ork boyz would pick up a grot and use it as a shield, but I figure if there are a ton of grots on a vehicle it would be hard to hit the vehicle anyway with all the runts running around.

How would you do a grot mek?  Kinda like a grot scavenger?  Maybe a univeral grot of sorts with access to a lot of different wargear, like an eldar autarch of sorts.

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »
We need more Elites, FA and possibly HQ.

As for a DT, I'm not sure if all Grots should get em. I was thinking of adding in a clause which says you can take half as many Troop choices again as what is on the FOC to allow masses of grots to be taken.

As for Grot vehicles,  I'd considered adding the Rolling (or Moving) Scrap Pile rule to all Grot built vehicles, but keeping their armour values to a minimal level.

In Gorkamorka, Grot transports were the Cutta; a wind powered really light vehicle, and the Big Lugga. Neither really fit 40K as it stands. The Looted Vehicle does, but I wouldn't give it to every unit and it would have to be modified to be different from the Ork version.

Offline Iridescente

• Sognando sotto l'arcobaleno
« Reply #17 on: February 9, 2011, 12:58:28 AM »
ELITE:

Why not stick the cans in Elite instead of Heavy?

Instead of larger grots in elite, how about some specialized weaponry instead?  Or a group of infiltrating grots?

And how about some Grot wolf riders or boar riders in the FA slot?

Just tossing ideas your way.  Take 'em or leave 'em.
Just playing along,
Bourhgen

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #18 on: February 9, 2011, 04:47:03 AM »
ELITE:

Why not stick the cans in Elite instead of Heavy?

Instead of larger grots in elite, how about some specialized weaponry instead?  Or a group of infiltrating grots?

And how about some Grot wolf riders or boar riders in the FA slot?

Just tossing ideas your way.  Take 'em or leave 'em.

Killa Kans as Elite... may be, would greatly depend on if the HS choices get rather full.

Any Grot specialized weaponry will either be small and not powerful, or require two or more grots to carry. As for infiltrating grots, to what end would they infiltrate? They are after all weedy Grots, I would imagine they'd have to have some 'more than usual' power to them; infiltrating suicide grots or grot bombardiers might be an idea.

Wolves would be hard to come by on random worlds in 40K, as would Boars tbh, now Squig Riders on the other hand...

As to a Grot Mek, Jack, what about an enslaved and tortured Ork Mek, or some crazy Mek Hobbo helper?
« Last Edit: February 9, 2011, 04:49:18 AM by DropFall »

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #19 on: February 9, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
dammit that is a cool idea.  I envision one grot sitting on the shoulders of a second grot holding a grot prod, poking a mek.  That's just nice.