News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119517 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Conclaves of the Asur (King of the Depths, Herald of the Everqueen)
« Reply #340 on: August 20, 2019, 10:52:10 PM »
UPDATE: So, the paint wagon hasn't really been rolling around my place for a little while. My roommate and I are currently preparing to move into our own respective places, as our lease is up. Of course, that takes a good amount of time and money, which I cannot really use on the hobby for a little while.

I might have a trade in the works for my Daughters of Khaine(sorry, Dread, I know you wanted to see this army... you still might, but I want to complete Idoneth and Sylvaneth, then start sisters of battle... going to have to sacrifice one army i think), enough that I should be able to finish my Sylvaneth or the vast majority of them.

I've also been contemplating on the results I've gained with contrast. With some of the models I've painted with contrast, I've been blown away by what I've been able to achieve. On the other hand, there are plenty of models that I wished I could have done much better.

I do like contrast a lot, but I don't think it's helping me better myself and improving my painting skills. I'm going to be preparing to switch back to a traditional method and experimenting with using some certain colors through the airbrush.

I'm also, contemplating on switching my mainstay paints with the Vallejo Game Color Range and a few Vallejo Game Air range paints as well. I'll still keep my citadel stuff, but I think it's going to start reaching end of life (some of them that haven't been converted to improvised dropper bottles) in the next couple of months.

I keep hearing good things about Vallejo, so I'm willing to give them a good chance.

Also, I'm going to be doing something different than my usual randomly paint a model thing. I'll be focusing on my Sylvaneth until the entire force is painted.

Thanks for stopping by, soon the Wyldwoods shall reclaim all the despoiled lands...
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »
Real life does have a tendency to get into the way of hobbytime. Will you have a dedicated hobby area in the new place? that'll hopefully compensate for some of the lost time. :)

As for contrast; I haven't really used it all that much, but I don't think it is the magic cure all that GW sells it as. It looks pretty bad on a lot of surfaces IMHO, unless you "water" it down to the point where you might as well be washing/glazing. It works wonders on a lot organic and cloth parts though, so that is what I intend to use it for. just mix it in with some other techniques.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »
@Nutty: Yeah,  I'll definitely have some more room for the hobby space!

As for Contrast, I agree with you. Plus, I've been missing the traditional way of painting and I think I've gotten a bit rusty. The first step is to make a trade for the DoK, then restore my hobby supplies with some new gear and paints, and then try to figure out how the moisture trap is supposed to work on my airbrush lol (I think that's actually the reason most of my paints are spraying all liquidy) ;D.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »
Contrast was never a replacement for the other paints, its just the "quick" way to paint infantry.

OK with my experience from trying to switch paints, its best to do it at the start of an army not part way through, especially for 40k. This is because the conversion chart is really hit and miss, some of them will stand out like a sore thumb in a 40k army like marines, where everything is the same colour. Its less important to say Craftworld Eldar where the aspect units can be a different colour scheme within the lore.

Since the different brands are different shades, personal taste will also pop its head up, I really prefer Lead Belcher and Retributor Armour in GW range, but prefer ultramarine blue and Ivory from Vallejo.

On Airbrushing. If its your base colour, buy the normal paints and thin them down, you'll be going through a lot of it. The premade stuff is better for various effects where your not using very much.

If it is liquidy, then for me its because my paint is too thin. It could also be how much you are pulling the needle back for a given distance.

Good luck with the move mate.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2019, 08:39:49 PM »
Good luck on the move, hope you get settled in quickly. Sorry to hear about the babe's but I also understand, more than you know.

As for the contrast paints, I looked at them, listened hard to what you and a few others had to say about them and drew the conclusion that I didn't need to use them. Ya know, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Looking forward to seeing the others when you get back to them.

"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #345 on: August 21, 2019, 09:15:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I'll keep you updated on how the situation progresses.

As for the Daughters of Khaine, there's kind of a bit of twist in the works. I actually got an interview for a job in another city about two hours away that I've been waiting on for months now. Don't worry, got either strategy sorted out in case things go either way, as I already have a place to live in that new place!

If I get the position in that area, I'll be taking my daughters of khaine with me and handing them to a friend who is interested in them when he can afford them. So, they may feature in some Battle Reports at least ;D.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #346 on: August 28, 2019, 11:18:05 PM »
So, NOVA Previews came out today.

My thoughts: Sisters of Battle for the most part look pretty amazing, there are some misses in what's been revealed, and certainly some cool surprises. Buuut, new Aspect Warrior Kits, made in plastic, I believe are also going to be revealed in addition to the Howling Banshees...

This is a tough decision lol. I've been attempting to hone in on a 40k army that I'd like to play.

Sisters of Battle is still on the top of my list.

Craftworld Eldar would be at the top of my list if they had some new models... now they're getting some!

So I have a decision to make.

As for Age of Sigmar, I'm more than content with the armies I have right now. Plus, I'm still building them. The new Death Faction is cool, but I'm not really interested. The only other army I'm really interested in is the Tyrion/Teclis Hysh Aelves for AoS.

Still planning on selling the Daughters of Khaine and using those funds to bolster one of my current forces. I might try to sell them through Dicehead, but the offer, while acceptable, is still a bit below what I'd like to receive for them. I think anything under $400 is likely too little for them, as they're easily my most expensive army to date. They're easily worth double that lol.

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #347 on: August 30, 2019, 04:28:31 AM »
The plastic aspects on the horizon make for a juicy prospect.. I can imagine your a bit torn at the moment.

As for the DoK; I'm not sure how many models you have in the army or how much you've spent on it. Over here the only way you are likely to get more than 50-60% of retail is if the models are either unbuilt or OOP. Unless the are painted really well; than you can sometimes get retail or better for them. But that might be different in your area.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #348 on: August 30, 2019, 08:00:49 AM »
Hi Nutty,

That's as actually the problem that I've been running into. I have actually came to the conclusion last night that it's probably best to just keep them and incorporate them into my collection.

If I am anything, it's being an indecisive salesman lol.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #349 on: August 30, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
I have to say yay. You have so much and I want to see them painted, okay, call me styngie.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #350 on: August 30, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »
I have to say yay. You have so much and I want to see them painted, okay, call me styngie.

That's fair enough, Dread, I'm going to have to do some work to organize this paint backlog lol ;D.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #351 on: August 31, 2019, 07:09:43 PM »
Rematch between the Daughters of Khaine and Hendonites: Absolute slaughter for the Daughters of Khaine!!!

So, basically I completely lost this battle in the deployment phase! I didn't think out my drops very well and when my opponent went first in turn one, I realized that some of my units were already caught out of position.

Worse, my opponent got the double turn that I needed to counter the objectives he grabbed. So he slammed into my across the board at the beginning of turn 2 after I've set my army up for a double turn. Surrendered at the bottom of turn two because there was no way I could secure the objectives or hold them long enough, while my opponent would just keep on scoring.

But I did learn a thing or two about deployment and pile ins, so I did take something good away from the defeat. I do need to make some changes to the list, but I'll have to discover what that is.

Here's some pics! Glorious Slaanesh army for my opponent!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
Re: Conclaves of the Asur (Daughters of Khaine vs Hendonites Post Game Summary)
« Reply #352 on: September 1, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
Sometimes the set up and roll of the dice can be cruel. One thing I've learned is you don't know what you know. So many times I've deployed, with the idea I know what I'm doing, only to find, ha, I don't. As long as fun was had that's all that matters. Glad you still have the girls.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #353 on: September 1, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »
Thanks, Dread, that is the truth!

As for the Daughters of Khaine, I'm still thinking on a paint scheme for the army. I actually think the crimson and gold that you mentioned before might be a good scheme to try. My first test schemes were a little eccentric lol.

We'll have to see!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #354 on: September 4, 2019, 10:17:01 PM »
20 Spites

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #355 on: September 9, 2019, 04:55:49 AM »
cool stuff; the witches look great en masse. painting that much (elven) skin is a daunting task though.. I look forward to stealingseeing how you do it :)

The sprites are also looking great; what colours do you have in mind for them?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #356 on: September 9, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »
cool stuff; the witches look great en masse. painting that much (elven) skin is a daunting task though.. I look forward to stealingseeing how you do it :)

The sprites are also looking great; what colours do you have in mind for them?

Thanks Nutty  ;D,

Yeah, I have tricks up my sleeve for painting the elven skin, but we'll see if it'll work out or not  :P ;D.

I'm not certain about the Sprites when it comes to color scheme... I think I might try to do a darker turquoise skin, or I might just make them mirror the Tree-Revenants to be honest. Haven't decided yet.

We'll see :D.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #357 on: September 12, 2019, 12:25:29 PM »
So... big changes coming!!!

I'll be keeping my citadel contrast, shades, and mediums, however...

Toward the end of the day, I shall be placing order with Scale75 for the entire fantasy and games paint set, and a good chunk of their metallic range! I keep hearing great things about this range, so I'm eager to try it.

Especially... after the Ynnari Rise like a Phoenix from the ashes!!!

You hear correct, the Eldar will be my first 40k faction if Phoenix Rising is all that's shaping up to be.

I have a hard time choosing between Drukhari and Craftworlds, so why not choose both with Ynnari ;D?

Still might by one of the Sisters of Battle Army boxes coming out with the codex... but that's about it.

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #358 on: September 12, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »
I've heard some good things about scale75, looking forward to seeing what you do with it. And the Ynnari ofcourse. :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2019, 05:58:36 PM »
Especially... after the Ynnari Rise like a Phoenix from the ashes!!!

Ynnari isn't an army that I would suggest you start 40k with, they were OP but continually got smashed by the nerf bat and are now nothing like they used to be. The current rules set for them gives bonuses mostly to close combat, but they are not terribly good at it (compared to other assault focused armies) and the game gives a significant advantage to gun lines still.

I would suggest building up one of the factions first to get a feel for the game. Given the long term goal of going Ynnari, I would start with CWE, simply because DE has a significant part of its range that can not be used in a Ynnari list. It will make playing Ynnari easier.

Just make sure your local store or a store near you keeps good stock levels of the paint brand you want to use. Waiting for paints when your in the middle of a project is a killer.