News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Countering the new Space Marine Psychic Powers  (Read 8510 times)

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
Re: Countering the new Space Marine Psychic Powers
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »
It seems that my counter v powers would be powers. I think a good WC4 Eld Storm should make a mess of things. With the amt of Mastery Dice for casting and denial. The threat that just creeps up would be Cents coming down, although area denial can be achieved too by spreading out correctly.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 06:45:50 PM »
@GML- I think you are underestimating these powers GML. From all the games I've seen (Frontline Gaming has been playtesting them against top tier tourney armies) they are obliterating people. Thunderwolves moving 60" a turn and assaulting, ignore cover, ignore LOS pulverizing the cheesiest Eldar armies, its certainly brutal stuff. 
On the contrary, I am not underestimating these powers at all.  Take a moment to read through the write up I did on the powers.  Based solely on my years of gaming and the abilities of these powers, I am more than aware of how powerful they can be.  But out of 28 new spells, only three of the powers are strong enough to say that you desperately want that - Electrodisplacement, Phase Form, and Shifting Worldscape.  If you look at the three most popular core disciplines (Biomancy, Divination, and Telepathy), they each have two spells that are must haves for their impact on the game; two of those disciplines give them as Primaris powers.

I'm not trying to say that the powers from Angels of Death aren't powerful.  They are ridiculously powerful to the point where they are, at the very least, equal to Invisibility as the go to power that everyone wants to get.

These new powers completely throw that tactic out the window. In fact they throw most of the core rules right out the window. They are very extreme powers and I think they warrant a lot of concern.

I know this is splitting hairs, but the only core rules that are "being thrown out the window" are Line of Sight from Phase Form and being able to cast inside of a transport with Technomancy (which makes sense for a discipline that is about affecting armoured units).  You could make an argument towards Shifting Worldscape as well.

Now, you made a point about top tier tournament armies being thrashed by these powers.  I don't watch battle reports nor do I compete in the very top tier of tournaments (like Adepticon or ETC), but could you elaborate on how those psychic phases are going that is allowing such domination?  How many dice are being used to cast some of these spells, how many are being used to deny?  Are the marine players trying to cast more powers than they are able to (I keep bringing this one up because it is a common mistake that I see)?  Are these examples being set up to show the ridiculousness of certain powers or is it happening within the natural flow of the game?

Even better, do you have a link to where these reports are so I could take a look?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 06:59:35 AM »
Ah, ok.  I seem to have misunderstood you. It seemed like you were saying if powers like "Perfect Timing" aren't a big deal why should these ones. My bad.

As for throwing core rules out the window, moving terrain pieces across the board, ignoring line of sight are huge departures from normal play.

About those bat-reps: I cannot find the dang Eldar one (which would have been more pertinent) but here's a very good one with Reclamation Necrons (ultra resilient as we all know). This game was setup to specifically playtest the new powers against a tournament army, with Reece doing everything he can to mitigate the new powers.

Full Length Battle Report #51 Space Marines vs. Necrons! - YouTube

Signals From the Frontline #427 Angels of Death Supplement - YouTube

The Second Link has post-game thoughts, discussion on mistakes made and more of a break down on how the powers work, the math and measurements etc. etc.

Anyway sorry if misunderstood you GML. It looks like we're on the same page. I agree the new powers on equal footing with Invis. and the like. I was going to say the samething but I didn't want to get into a math vs. tactics debate on Invis vs. the new powers. Anyway hope you enjoy the bat-rep and let me know what you think, and also how you would counter these new powers. I'd be fascinated to know.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/