News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mek & Walker Combinations  (Read 2357 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Mek & Walker Combinations
« on: June 21, 2015, 10:04:09 PM »
As I delve deeper and deeper into this codex, my oddboy brain runs rampant with all sorts of different conceivable combinations. My latest obsessive project came from Skeetergod's suggestion of having a Big Mek on a bike to help repair my kans. Genius. But that got my brain started. If meks are being made so prevalent in this current manifestation or Gork's (or Mork's)children of the orkpocolypse, how can we harness that orky goodness? I've seen lists that have meks supporting stompas, battlewagons, and the new gorkanauts/morkanauts. Repairing hull points and keeping them safer with the now slightly less powerful kustom force field. But I've yet to see the return of the walkers.

During my many sleepless nights I've come up with an orky strategy. First pair my kans with a dread to bolster their nerve a little and second is to add some meks to help them from being glanced to death.

Instead of making a large unit that must all target the same enemy, I've decided to stick with 3 kans. Sure I don't have to take tests the first time I lose a single kan in squads of 5 or more, but the thought is to create these new mobs in the style of a MSU. These 3 cans would form a semicircle, flaty enemy facing. The next is to add a dread. Usually close combat orientated with maybe a single long range weapon to keep things interesting. He'll walk in front of the kans to add a moderate shield with greater HP and better armour. And in the squishy middle would be the Big Mek. This is where all the possibilities open up as to how to kit him out and should he be in a squad of his own. In a squad he can't be singled out when shot at, except by precision shots. But in a squad everyone would have to be pretty tight formation, especially if taking a KFF so that the walkers would benefit from the invulnerable save. Having him on a warbike makes him tougher and gives a better natural save, but there is even less room in the squishy middle for an infantry unit for him to join. Here are a few combinations I can think of for a Big Mek lead unit. Again, the idea is to have two or three of these units in the army, so as to decrease any individual MSUs priority. This unit will be position in the center surrounded by a deff dread and 3 killa kans.

Big Mek A 110 points
- warbike, kustom force field (110)
PROS: tougher, good saving throw, invulnerable saving throw
CONS: can be singled out easily, only one mek's tools roll, not an infantry unit so can't attach a bonus mek

Big Mek B 139 points
- kustom force field, 'eavy armour (89)
- gretchin x 10 (35)
- bonus mek for HQ choice (15)
PROS: good saving throw, invulnerable saving throw, cannot be singled out easily, add a mek's tool roll
CONS: pretty weak unit, takes a lot of room so has to be in very tight formation for everyone to take advantage of the KFF

Big Mek C 184 points
- kustom force field, 'eavy armour (89)
- burna boyz (2 burnas, 3 meks) (80)
- bonus mek for HQ choice (15)
PROS: good saving throw, invulnerable saving throw, cannot be singled out easily, 5 mek's tool rolls, can be in looser formation for KFF to work
CONS: most expensive, 2 burna boyz may not see much action
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:56:52 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Mek & Walker Combinations
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »
If you have a gorkanaught (morkanaught) you have the burna boys and meks ride along with the big mek. Saves you some points on the KFF as it is on the -naught, and allows your big mek to have a kustom ride that has to get destroyed before he can be targeted.

IF needed, the burna boy/mek squad jumps out fixes a different unit, then jumps back into their -naugt.

Of course this is just theory, as I don't don't play kans or dreads or -naughts. Now if you had trucks and BWs and looted vehicles this would be a different story as there is room for more. But, alas, it is not about red paint and going fast.

So hopefully my suggestion will give you more thinking to do.  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:18:24 PM »
I like the burna boy/mek combo, but, and please realize that I don't have the codex in front of me, the burna/mek ratio for even having burnas is 1 mek to every 4 burnas, bought as part of the unit.  I think the least amount of burnas you can have is 5 prior to the free upgrade of 1 to a mek...Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...I think the numbers would be:
1 Big Mek w/ equipment
1 bonus mek per hq choice
4 burnas/1 mek as an elite choice that the big mek can attach to as an independent character...
I've attached a big mek to a full unit of burnas (13 burnas + 3 mek upgrades) and it was incredibly powerful...

My two teef...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:20:46 PM by Ork E Nuff »
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:35:51 PM »
@OrkENuff Re-reading the codex I don't see any of those restrictions. A base unit of burnas is 5 models and in the options you are allowed up to three models to be upgraded as meks, with no restrictions. You have the same option with Lootas as well.

@Skeetergod I love the idea of a Morkanaut with the KFF surrounded by kans and dreads with meks popping out to repair hullpoints and general fixins as necessary, but I think I might reserve that for my 2000 point games. Also, these mechanical monstrosities are definitely going to be a bullet magnet for my enemies firepower and the transport protection the meks/burnas are going to receive would most likely be turn 1 only, as they will be swarming all over those kans and dreads with repairs and too busy to jump back into their transport.

I also forgot da fixer uppers for the big mek, which would make this an even tougher unit. And of course you have to throw some grot riggers on those dreads.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
Well, as for drawing fire, that is what you want for your -naught. With the KFF and grots giving you "it will not die" and the three extra meks you should be able to keep it alive all game. If it receives concentrated fire, then the rest of your army will be able to klank across the board unmolested.

That is the cool thing about orks, you can deliver target saturation, i.e. too many things to shoot at...

I know that when I have 8 trucks and 25 death coptas on the board, some of my opponents have actually used the words "I don't have enough fire power to kill all that".

Don't get me wrong, I am not the undefeated champion by any stretch of the imagination. I play for fun, and it is a hoot to see the look on my opponents faces when I plop down more models in reserve than they have on the table...

So, give it a go, and let us know how you do.

My two teef

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »
Had my first battle with the list and it went very well. By no means was it perfect, but it gave me a glimpse into what I should do to tweak it. (See batrep posted)

The mek tools did help out, but for what they did and the points I needed to sink into them, they may have been better spent elsewhere. I think the mek tool bonus would only be optimum if they were riding on n what they needed to fix and it was something with a lot of hull points that drew a lot of enemy fire and soaked up damage.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 07:44:28 AM »
I read your batrep, good stuff!

So I have added you to the bank account and put some teef in there as well. Now, keep in mind the bank account is a bit out of date, and the automated software I used to have no longer works, so I am figuring out a manual way to update the bank account. When I get it updated you will see your name and some teef in the account.

Then, IF  :P we can get AOD to wake up from his nap, we will get you a title of youf added to your name. Maybe OD from TV might be able to handle that as well if he ever sticks his head out of his kan work shop.

Good stuff, keep up the good work and lets see some more good stuff.