News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: IG vs Eldar -or- Eldar vs ig  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
IG vs Eldar -or- Eldar vs ig
« on: March 26, 2002, 12:45:27 PM »
Being as this board is a mix of ig and eldar players I thought this would be a very approiate topic.

So anyone have tactics, stories to share? What is usally the out come of a guard vs eldar battle?

My bro has an eldar army and usally at least one of his cc units makes it to my lines (his wrath loards are usally taken down by bassy/marksmen fire) an kills most all my men.. and then I run the bastard unit over with a tank and win ;D

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
    • Grim Stalker's Imperial Guard
Re:IG vs Eldar -or- Eldar vs ig
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2002, 01:11:41 PM »
my brother plays ulthwe eldar

he ussually would beat me in the beginning, but now its not really certain - we dont really count...

snipers are good against wraithlords - since they get to wound at 4+ and wraithlords are tough as hell...

hmmm... the jet bikes are annoying, so watch out!

the grav tank is rather easy to shoot down with Heavy weapons

bright lances are a REAL pain for armour... I hate em and my bro tries to use as many as he can against me...

thats my two cents

grim

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2002, 01:14:20 PM »
Hehe ya the bassy has an advantage fo not giving a bright lance an advantage hehe

Ya I usally take care of his bikes and some times assult his cc squads with me walkers

Offline BoyProdigy

• Pirate Prince
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Still rocking your world!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2002, 07:26:30 PM »
well i paly alaitoc and my friend plays IG, and I all ways seem to beat him. All i have to do is take massive amounts of rangers, scorpions with stealth haywires in a WS and fire dragons in a WS. the rangers screw up his deployment and then my scorpions and fire dragons just run up a clean the floor with those dirty Mon-Keighs stupid tanks and weak infintry. It's really to bad because his whole army are those really nice SL models all painted up A+ quality.  

« Last Edit: March 26, 2002, 07:28:12 PM by BoyProdigy »

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2002, 07:33:17 PM »
Sounds like he could use some ogryns and/or a eversor

Offline Squiggle

• Elven Spellsinger
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2002, 08:38:56 PM »
You might try a tank company. It may be expensive but the sheer amounts of firepower will hopefully stop a wave serpent at a stand still. I'm actually an Eldar player so I guess my opinion is sort of biased but I've ran full force into a dark angels army and felt the brunt of what fire can do!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
-Douglas Adams

Offline spunkybass

• Uh-oh, I'm starting a new army. Again.
    • Spunkybass Place 3.0
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Thousand Sons, Eldar, Ravenwing
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2002, 01:12:14 AM »
I regularly play both IG and Eldar:

Playing IG vs Eldar:
The Eldar armies I've fought against are quite typical: lots of Guardians, 1 or 2 WLs, and a couple of aspect squads in WS. Being an Eldar player myself, I know that if I allow Eldar to use his speed, I will be outmanovered. I'm fortunate that my IG has been themed as a mobile assault infantry army, with the emphasis on mobility and firepower. Usually deny the Eldar their advantage of speed by staying fluid myself. I'm happy to say that my IG are undefeated vs Eldar.

Playing IG vs Dark Eldar:
The DE armies I've fought against are extremely fast. They are usually all mounted on Raiders or something like that. Reaver jetbikes are also dangerous. Against DE, you really have no hope of outmanouvering him. What you can do is to plan lots of firing fields plus 1 or 2 corridors of manouver. Hang back, use firepower, then counterattack on turn 3 or 4. By that time the enemy should have lost all its Raiders, and you would have the upper hand. Again, my IG has never lost to DE.

Playing Alaitoc vs IG:
This one's quite sad for the IG player - almost cruel. My Ranger Force rolls 5 disruption dice. More often than not, at least 2-3 platoons get sent into reserve before the game starts. Using a combination of pinning sniper fire, bright lance support fire, and my fast strike troops, my Alaitoc have crushed IG armies at every engagement.

Playing Eldar vs IG:
Most IG players tend to be static. My vanilla Eldar army is extremely fluid, and usually run rings around IG. Except for the 2 WLs, everything is either fast or can fleet of foot. Storm Guardians equipped with 2 flamers and transported by WS make mincemeat of entire IG platoons. Defender Guardians are able to move up very fast, always using cover. Once they get into range, shuriken death cut down lots of guardsmen. The 4 bright lances and 5 fire dragons in the army, plus a pulse laser, take out tanks very efficiently. Pesky stuff like Basilisks and Griffons are usually taken out in Turn 2. My Eldar are also undefeated vs IG.
Legio Malaysia member since 2008
Spunkybass Place 3.0

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2002, 08:01:58 AM »
Okay, soo you're umm saying that you have never lost against the Eldar with your IG, and never lost against the IG with your Eldar....well I gota say, either that is a big bunch of horse crap, or you are too good.  :o

How much games have you played?  No more than 20 I would think, and against how many different people?

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
    • Grim Stalker's Imperial Guard
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2002, 08:09:26 AM »
OF COURSE HE HAS PLAYED MORE THAN 20 GAMES!!!!!!!!!

.... right?

:P

grim

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2002, 08:51:17 AM »
I don't know....if he's won against and with IG and Eldar....that just makes NO SENSE.  Unless he's playing against newbies, or the same people......

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2002, 10:47:12 AM »
Or he's very good!  

Based on my experience, his tactical analysis of the two armies is correct.  If IG can deny eldar their mobility advantage, as his IG do, then the Eldar will be in dire straits.  If IG allow the Eldar their full mobile potential, as his IG opponents do, then IG will have problems.  

As this guy is familiar with both armies, he knows how to exploit their strengths and weaknesses.  You could learn something here.

As for someone never being defeated?  Some people are that good (I can't recall having met any), and others have a reputation for being that good (which is usually well earned).  

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2002, 11:03:25 AM »
Then again, my IG has never lost against Speed Freaks.  However, I've only fought them two or three times, and always in the Scenario "Guard Wins", or as it's sometimes called "Patrol".

Offline spunkybass

• Spunkybass Place 3.0
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2002, 03:01:36 AM »
heheh ... did you know there's a scenario called "eldar wins", a.k.a. "rescue"?  ;D

Most of my games are against the same people in my group. But most of my IG vs Eldar and Eldar vs IG games are against visitors to the group or when I go on a gaming tour of Singapore or something like that.

My IG, Ranger and Eldar armies are not totally undefeated. They have experienced defeat against Nids, BA, BT, SW, Tau. My Eldar have been beaten by other Eldar and DE, and a Death Korps army once utterly destroyed my IG. I've a pretty good record against Chaos too (who doesn't?). My Armored Company is pretty strong against everyone except the Nids, who just eat Imperial Steel for breakfast.

And yes, I have been playing for quite awhile now - about 25 years worth of wargames, mostly in WW2 and Napoleonic. Got turned onto 40k 2 years ago. Love it for its models, fluff, simplicity and the fact that you can build and paint your army any way you like, pretty much.

Spunkybass Place 3.0

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2002, 12:28:12 PM »
Hay I've been thinking of getting into Napoleonic wargaming I found a rule book for it in my book shelf and I have no idea how it got there!

Anyway do you make models for it?

Offline spunkybass

• Spunkybass Place 3.0
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2002, 08:54:10 PM »
Staatz, sorry, I don't make models.

The good news is: Napoleonic is probably the best supported wargames period ever. There are probably thousands of companies that make Nap models. Pick up  a copy of Wargames Illustrated and you'll find tons of ads for them. You could also try http://theminiaturespage.com/ - it's a generic wargames site with all sorts of stuff in it, including Napoleonic.

I find that most Napoleonic rules work best with 15mm figures. This is because the battles get kinda big, and using 25mm or 28mm just gets impractical. Having said that, the best wargames models ever produced are by Wargames Foundry - and it's all in big 25mm.

Napoleonic is great because:
It's basic tactics - you have your infantry, cavalry, artillery and your leaders, and you have to deal with the terrain and the enemy.

It looks awesome - French blue, Brit red, Prussian deep blue, Austrian white, Russian green, etc, with every unit flying a standard - usually colorful and ornate (unless you're French). Painting takes a lot of effort though, and armies tend to have hundreds of models.

You get to refight historical battles - from the famous ones like Waterloo, Liepzig and Borodino, to obscure ones like the crossing in Italy in 1798 (don't remember what it's called). Countless historical battles to refight, from Europe to Africa to Russia and even North America. The cool thing about historical refights is that the opposing forces are never balanced, and you usually have to work with whatever deployment you are given.

If you are considering 15mm, the best looking ones are AB Figures. The cheapest, and not too bad looking, are Old Glory.

For rules, I highly recommend General de Brigade. It lets you command divisions of several battalions each. If you want a more abstract rule set that allows you to fight big battles like Waterloo, you can try Napoleon's Battles.
Spunkybass Place 3.0

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2002, 10:57:31 PM »

Staatz, sorry, I don't make models.

No, I think he was talking about if the game has models in it.  Like 40k, I think...

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2002, 12:07:33 AM »
Ya I wanted to know if you could buy em or you had to make your own..

Thanks fo the info, like I said I got a rule book, all I need are the models, a few history books (never even touched anything but the f***ing us colonel period in school) and Ill be set ;D

Offline spunkybass

• Spunkybass Place 3.0
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2002, 09:24:42 PM »
Enjoy. It's very rewarding. You just have to remember that things move a lot slower in that period. Attacks must be coordinated, or they will fail. etc etc
Spunkybass Place 3.0

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2002, 10:17:38 PM »
Heheh, it sounds like Risk! ;D

Risk, the game that last 5 hours AT LEAST! :D ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2002, 10:17:54 PM by Delone »