News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 points light infantry  (Read 591 times)

Offline Captain F. Bunny

• Captain
  • The Emperor protects.Because flak armour doesn't.
1000 points light infantry
« on: March 15, 2005, 10:38:00 PM »
Okay, another shot at a list. this time as light infantry.

Fluff is, a light, scouting company that can either drop behind the enemy lines and sneak up (using infiltration in a battle) or drop into the heat of battle, and are un-restricted by terrain or equipment, and so can make fast strikes in dense terrain. The idea is to sit at about 24" and blast away, and generally have a whole lot of skulking in terrain at close ranges, deep striking if the mission presents this oppourtunity. The sniper rifles are there as a fluff choice. These guys are painted in Urban camo, and so I thought it would be fitting for them to have snipers.

Doctorines:
Drop Troops
Light Infantry
Iron Discipline
Veterans

HQ:
JO, Honourifica, Power Weapon, Iron discipline, Light Infantry
2x grenade launchers
101 points

Elites:
Veteran Squad
10 veterans
3x Meltaguns
110 points

Veteran Squad
10 veterans
3x meltaguns
110 points

Troops:
Platoon 1
Command Squad
Jo, Iron Discipline
2x Grenade Launchers
71 points

Infantry Squad 1
Plasmagun
Sniper Rifle
Light infantry
Veteran Seargant
91 points

Infantry Squad 2
Plasmagun
Sniper Rifle
Light infantry
Veteran Seargant
91 points

Infantry Squad 3
Plasmagun
Sniper Rifle
Light infantry
Veteran Seargant
91 points

Platoon2

Command Squad
Jo, Iron Discipline
2x Grenade Launchers
71 points

Infantry Squad 1
Plasmagun
Sniper Rifle
Light infantry
Veteran Seargant
91 points

Infantry Squad 2
Plasmagun
Sniper Rifle
Light infantry
Veteran Seargant
91 points

Infantry Squad 3
Plasmagun
Sniper Rifle
Light infantry
Veteran Seargant
91 points
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 11:48:03 PM by Grease Monkey F. Bunny »
Cadian 111th "Triple Aces"
Captain. 13th Company.
"First in, first killed. Welcome to the guard"

111th regimental fluff

Offline Lt. Colonel Nightblade

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 1000 points light infantry
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 10:45:27 PM »
Nice list.  I'm dubious of the sniper rifles in infantry squads though.  I find that if you want to take snipers they are best taken in large squads, ie ratlings.

You lack long-range antitank power, but as this army is infiltrating you should be able to get close enough to pop tanks with the meltas.  Still, a missile launcher or two might not be a bad idea.  If anything they compliment the plasma gun better than the sniper rifle does.

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away the hoofèd liar.
Roof and door and block and beam, drive the Trickster from our dreams.

Member of the Board 18 Chain of Command.

Offline Captain F. Bunny

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:53:54 PM »
I see your point about the long ranged anti tank fire, but this is really a slightly changed Drop troops army. I was actually thinking of combining light infantry with drop troops, so as to have a scouting force dropped into the enemy lines. Actually i think i might do that. The sniper rifles are there for fluff reasons, I had some spare points, and so i thought i'd take a fluffy choice for my guys painted in urban camo.
Captain. 13th Company.

111th regimental fluff

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 11:03:34 PM »
Nice list. I'm dubious of the sniper rifles in infantry squads though. I find that if you want to take snipers they are best taken in large squads, ie ratlings.

You lack long-range antitank power, but as this army is infiltrating you should be able to get close enough to pop tanks with the meltas. Still, a missile launcher or two might not be a bad idea. If anything they compliment the plasma gun better than the sniper rifle does.

I agree with the power of full ratling squad (Annoying for enemy). I think it might be a good a idea to replace all plasmaguns with grenade launchers in all squads already have sniper rifles. Then these troops will be versatile + save a bit of pts & no worry about overheating. The troops could also support each other as well.

Again as Navarre Nightblade suggest. Missile Launchers R also good like grenade launchers but with longer range. I am not so sure with 25 pts for Honourifica though. You could ditch this & use the pts for some AT weapons. Personally, I would not rely so much on 2 squads of HV & air drop. They tend not to last long & has limited range for AT power.

Light Infantry & Drop troop R a good combo (I think) for advance assualt & mobile infantry in dense terrain.

It would help a bit to include pts for each squad & number of men in Hardend Veterans so that other people can easily help you to modify the army.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 11:40:58 PM by wper34 »

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline Captain F. Bunny

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:53:54 PM »
Dropping the honourifica can buy me a lascannon, Doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, when the plan is to go for close range shooting. I want to stick with plasma guns, simply because i have nothing else to deal with 3+ or better saves. I agree with veterans not lasting long, but i don't really need them to last much longer than what is required to take out a 110+ point vehicle/monster.
Captain. 13th Company.

111th regimental fluff

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 01:39:03 PM »
Doctorines:
Drop Troops
Light Infantry
Iron Discipline
Veterans

HQ:
JO, Honourifica, Power Weapon, Iron discipline, Light Infantry
2x grenade launchers
101 points

===> Okay, the point I'd raise here is if there is really any point to taking the Honorifica? Your clearly preparing for your Squads to not be reliant on Officers thanks to your Veteran Sergeants (sensible given your playing Drop Troops/Light Infantry), this unit seems to be intended as light supporting firepower, theres no need for the Honorifica, surely its just making the unit more expensive? (And in honesty a HSO with Powersword does not constitute and effective assault unit) The points, if not spent on Heavy Weapons (which yes I too am gonna advise) at least would be better spent on an extra pair of Grenade Launchers to make a more effective firepower unit.

Elites:
Veteran Squad
10 veterans
3x Meltaguns
110 points

Veteran Squad
10 veterans
3x meltaguns
110 points

===> Okay, though I'm gonna suggest going with 3x5 man Squads rather then 2x10man Squads, you could drop these in close to deal with armour with more of a chance of having an effect and dealing with the threat then two squads would have though after this you would of coure be more vulnable, combined with my other suggestions this could be paid for.

Troops:
Platoon 1 & 2
Command Squad
Jo, Iron Discipline
2x Grenade Launchers
71 points

===> Fine

Infantry Squad 1 & 2
Plasmagun
Sniper Rifle
Light infantry
Veteran Seargant
91 points

===> I wont repeat the same material again, other then to say I think Plasma Guns are the way to go, there slightly higher strength over a Krak Grenade at least gives you a better chance vs light-medium armour, AP3 helps as well of course ;)

Infantry Squad 3
Plasmagun
Sniper Rifle
Light infantry
Veteran Seargant
91 points

===> I would if I could try an convince you that at least a couple of Heavy Weapons would be a good idea, how about equipping both #3 Squads with Missile Launchers just for the possibility that they may come in handy over your Sniper Rifles? As suggested they could be payed for by dropping the Honorifica on your HQ Officer. Possibly I would consider pairing up the weapon with Grenade Launchers however, this way you'd have a squad that could be used stationary with a Heavy Weapon or mobile with the Grenade Launcher as the situation demanded.

With regards to modelling you could easily invest in one of the various metal components available to covert your own Missile Launchers preventing a need to invest in whole Heavy Weapon teams.

Offline Retired-Captain Alexander

• Captain
  • Cookies!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 02:25:48 PM »
The list looks okay, but I think it's kinda a waste in taking light infantry AND drop troops as this will mean that if you are going to let them depp strike them you'll have wasted 10 points. In the beginning it won't look much, but as most of your army has light infantry, it could mean that you could have wasted a lot of points. This list miss a heavy weapons punch, but that can be missed if you have plenty of special weapons (this is where the special weapon squads come in ;)). I see the point in taking the honourifica for the JO as this is cheaper than taking a heroic SO. I suspect that the platoon command is going to deep strike as they don't have light infantry.

How many points is this?

May the Emperor protect ;D

A mind without purpose will walk in dark places

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 02:45:35 PM »
The list looks okay, but I think it's kinda a waste in taking light infantry AND drop troops as this will mean that if you are going to let them depp strike them you'll have wasted 10 points. In the beginning it won't look much, but as most of your army has light infantry, it could mean that you could have wasted a lot of points.

===> Potentially true, but having Light Infantry as the primary method of deployment for some troops (the line Infantry) with their Sniper Rifles/Heavy Weapons gives the starting line up while other units such as the Veterans can then drop in an unload their nasty but short ranged firepower where it's needed. It's a vaiable and quite fluffy choice (many Airborne units ARE Light Infantry).

This list miss a heavy weapons punch, but that can be missed if you have plenty of special weapons (this is where the special weapon squads come in ;)).

===> Disagreed, actual Special Weapons in SWSs are overpriced, Command Sections and Veterans are your friends.

I see the point in taking the honourifica for the JO as this is cheaper than taking a heroic SO. I suspect that the platoon command is going to deep strike as they don't have light infantry.

===> Granted, thats not what I meant mind you, why is a HSO statline needed at all for a unit which presumeably does'nt have a primary function in leadership or assault, rather in mobile firesupport, its maybe not wasted points, but certainly is IMHO points which could be better spent.

How many points is this?

===> Looks at the thread title  ::)  ;)

May the Emperor protect ;D

Indeed  ;D

• Captain
  • Cookies!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »
[===> Looks at the thread title   
*smacks himself in the face* :-[

===> Potentially true, but having Light Infantry as the primary method of deployment for some troops (the line Infantry) with their Sniper Rifles/Heavy Weapons gives the starting line up while other units such as the Veterans can then drop in an unload their nasty but short ranged firepower where it's needed. It's a vaiable and quite fluffy choice (many Airborne units ARE Light Infantry).
Hmmm, good point. Kinda like a recon force calling reinforcements and that's when the hardend vets come dropping by, can find reason in that.

===> Disagreed, actual Special Weapons in SWSs are overpriced, Command Sections and Veterans are your friends.

Hardend veterans are always your friends (look at my sig), but with the overpriced part almost ALL squads that can take a lot of heavy/special weapons (except hardend vets to make them more atractive) are overpriced (special/heavy weapon squads, devastators and dark reapers to name a few) thats wat make hardend vets and command squads such a good choice, but I'm not willing to sacrifice such a critical unit just because their special weapons are cheaper than the special weapons squad.

===> Granted, thats not what I meant mind you, why is a HSO statline needed at all for a unit which presumeably does'nt have a primary function in leadership or assault, rather in mobile firesupport, its maybe not wasted points, but certainly is IMHO points which could be better spent.

Good point and certainly worth mentioning, but as you can see he has light infantry so I presume that he is going to infiltrate with the infiltrating platoons in which his Ld can be used. But even then, why the vet sgt? It might indeed be better to leave the HO back home unless Grease Monkey can give a good reason.

Ha I quoted you back, what is it with you and quotes?

May the Emperor protect the heavens (you'll need it ;))

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 03:15:45 PM »
Hardend veterans are always your friends (look at my sig), but with the overpriced part almost ALL squads that can take a lot of heavy/special weapons (except hardend vets to make them more atractive) are overpriced (special/heavy weapon squads, devastators and dark reapers to name a few) thats wat make hardend vets and command squads such a good choice, but I'm not willing to sacrifice such a critical unit just because their special weapons are cheaper than the special weapons squad.

Sometimes true mainly if there are not enough points to invest in a seperate squad or such squads able to invest in, it really depends if your using Demo Charges or not, and how many points/Command Sections/Veteran Squads you've got free IMHO.

Ha I quoted you back, what is it with you and quotes?

Old Portent habbit ;) just the way I do things ;)

Offline Henimann

• General
  • "Nothing in front but the enemy" - 57th Solean
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 03:43:22 PM »
Your list seems to be quite sloid but like Gravis said, loose the Honorifica.  With the points you save, you could take a plasma gun or two in you squad.  But if you do that, drop a greanade launcher and take a medic to help with all those overheating "incidents".

Like everyone else said, this list will get shot to pieces if it doesnt get into range quick enough.  Perhaps one or two missile launchers, or some plasma guns in you infantry squads would be a better help?   

I must admit though that this list is pure light infantry - I like it!

Offline Captain F. Bunny

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 12:05:28 AM »
Hm.. I still don't wanna have heavy weapons, just because this list is supposed to be fluffy and for fun. How 'bout i take melta guns and a plasma pistol and a medic in my command squad, and a medic and a plasmagun in my platon command sections, and drop the honourifica and Iron discipline? I've got a great idea for converting medi-pack... (looks to his vox casters...)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:11:47 AM by Grease Monkey F. Bunny »
Captain. 13th Company.

111th regimental fluff

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 04:46:33 AM »
Possibly tooling up the Command HQ with more of a AT fit would be a good idea if you really are set on avoiding all Heavy Weapons, I'd be inclined to leave the Grenade Launchers of the Platoon Command Sections as is though for mobile firepower.

• Captain
  • Cookies!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 07:24:52 AM »
Gravis is right, if you don't want any heavy weapon then you should tool up your command squads more. Possibly one command squad with some more plasma guns, I think AT is enough for now as in a thousand points battle tanks ain't that numerous (2 most of the time) and even then your plasma guns can also do a little tank busting. I'm worried about the amount of anti-infantry against horde armies as you don't have any HB, but you got round the 95 men so that's around 80 lasguns which is plenty IMHO.

Offline Major Krämer

• Major
  • Kill the Xenos, purge the Xenos, burn the Xenos!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 10:47:19 AM »
I say, drop the Plasma and take melta guns, as your going close quarters anyway, you won't burn yourself, they cost the same.

I have to support Alexander with the SWS squads, as Bunny is taking to Vet. Squads from ten man which in my opinion, if you are going drop, or infiltrate, whatever, take little numbers of vets. The minimum should be ok. You save 80 points on this way.  If you Vet's as a cheap SWS squads, then reduce your numbers. If not drop the Veterans doctrine if you won't use them on another way. HtH maybe? And buy SWS,they'll be your shooty units., cause you say you don't want to rely on Heavy Weapon squads.

as Henimann has also said, hoiw about  a shooty HQ, with Plasmas and medic.

If not stick with Honorifica, or buy a HSO, and Power sword, give him a Plasma pistol, and four flamers and burn them.

Oberst Krämer, commander-in-chief of the XIIº Regiment
of the DEATH KORPS OF KRIEG, also known as the black shadows