News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: captain on bike  (Read 3290 times)

Offline tomsev

• space marines lead the way... all the way!
captain on bike
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
is it worth having a captain on a bike in an army?
if so how is a good way to gear him up i was thinking something like:
captain:bike, relic blades, storm shield, hellfire rounds, and artificer armour.
but thats getting very expensive but looks rather good twin linked hellfire bolters seems cool 8) 8)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: captain on bike
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
I run a captain on a bike all the time and the way I kit him out is really cheap, I just give him a relic blade.  165pts and you are good.  There really is no need to go overboard on how you tool him out.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline tomsev

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
ok then thanks its just i got carried away with all those happy stats looks like that would be pretty hard to kill and annoying to have running round the enemy lines

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
Annoying yes.  Survivable yes.  Expensive and taking points away from your army that can be put to use elsewhere?  Absolutely.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline csjarrat

• lock and load...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:58:38 PM »
does open up other troops options though, so can give you more scoring options. can be nice to just keep him cheap and dump him in a squad of bikes with melta guns. use them as mobile anti armour and late game objective hunters. tis quite nice!

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:30:06 AM »
is it worth having a captain on a bike in an army?

Unlocking bikes as troops is a very useful option.

if so how is a good way to gear him up i was thinking something like:
captain:bike, relic blades, storm shield, hellfire rounds, and artificer armour.
but thats getting very expensive but looks rather good twin linked hellfire bolters seems cool 8) 8)

Over-equipping any character is generally a waste of points.

If you're looking for a unit to harass the enemy into dealing with it instead of concentrating on their mission objective the unit you use to harass must be annoying, not too easy to deal with and above all cheap.

Imagine you play against an IG army, who has a unit of veterans with meltaguns. They rock up and shoot those meltaguns at your captain... is he going to live? Maybe. Thats a lot of points to put on a 'maybe.'

A regular bike unit has more wounds, more firepower and will carry meltaguns and a multi-melta. And depending how to set it up can probably cost less... with their cover save from turbo-boosting have a good chance to get though firepower and start annoying enemy units from the sides or rear.

A mob of outflanking scouts can be quite annoying, and even steal objectives.

This is the sort of thing that works better to harass enemy units, not sending off a character like a glorified hunter killer missile.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline tomsev

« Reply #6 on: March 1, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »
i was planning on putting him in a bike squad with 2 meltas and 1 attack bike w/ multi melta  and 2 other normal biker but was thinking if needs be he could always break of the squad to charge something....

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
I often use a captain on a bike with relic blade, storm shield, and artificer armor.  I leave him attached to a squad and I can break him off to hit a distant target if necessary.  He works well at charging anything not geared for assault.  His main job is to serve as a rapid response support unit.  He is a little nugget of 2+/3++ high strength goodness, and his bike lets him always be where you need him the most.  I don't think he matches the value of a Librarian's psychic defense, but he solves a lot more problems than any of the other Vanilla HQs.

Offline tomsev

« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
can a captain on a bike use hellfire rounds for the bike mounted twin linked bolters???

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »
Re-read the rules for hellfire bolts on page 100 of your Codex.

Why you would ever want to use hellfire bolts, though, I will never know, because they're a complete waste of points.

Offline tomsev

« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
wounding big heavy tyranid beasts and other high toughness things... why isnt it good?

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »
Largely because you're giving your Captain a complete gimmick that achieves very little in practice. You're going from one AP5 shooting attack to another AP5 shooting attack, and by the time you're in range for that shooting attack to do anything, you're either in a position to charge, or you're about to get counter-charged. Or both. Focus on a cheap and cheerful combat character, rather than weighing him down with crap.

Then again, you seem absolutely mesmerised by the idea of turning your Captain into an overpriced Green Torpedo, so you're probably going to plough on ahead regardless...

Offline tomsev

« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
no no i do listen and have been running a relic blade melta bomb captain on bike and its been working fine havent seen many high toughness stuff yet, i was just wondering thats all

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #13 on: March 4, 2012, 08:40:55 AM »
I might suggest an Auxillary Grenade Launcher if you have the spare points. That way you can still wound the big beasts, and you also have a nice s6 hit to add to the rest of the unit. A Relic Blade, Meltabomb, and AGL is slightly more expensive than others, but is still cheaper than the hell beast you were making before.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline tomsev

« Reply #14 on: March 4, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »
i am now using bike, storm shield, relic blade, melta bombs but am thinking of putting a combi melta or flamer not to sure, might try the grenade launcher could be good