News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330861 times)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #420 on: July 28, 2015, 05:44:32 PM »
I don't see many orks these days. As a friend of mine does have orks, I wouldn't mind seeing what does and doesn't work with them these days.
Mostly because then I can advise her on it :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:54:38 AM by vonny »
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #421 on: July 28, 2015, 11:53:20 PM »
Hard to say anything more than what i usually say^^ nice work on the venom i like the way it turned out.
I am looking forward to that orks battle :D got a friend of mine playing orks too, so it might help me at some point.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #422 on: July 31, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »
@Tangi- Thanks buddy I'll make sure to take a bunch of them for ya.

@Vonny- I'll definitely be taking notes. My buddy Chris is very excited and I want to help him with his strategies as he's had a hard time of it lately banging his head against my Eldar, and my friend's Necrons.

@Grizzlykin- Thanks Grizz. I'll be taking copious notes on the Eldar side of things as well. Looking forward to seeing how my new units perform!

@Everyone- Well it took some last minute hustle but I managed to finish my Corsair Scorpions (2 of them are only tabletop+++ quality the rest are totally done) ready for the game. I've got a full 10 man squad ready to go! So excited to have these guys ready to rock and can't wait to see how my plans work out for them.

So I decided to post some photos of the new close-combat core of my new list for fun games just to give you guys a preview of the upcoming game. Also featured are my Rangers who wont be a part of the force but are meant to compliment my themed recon force which I'm working on as well. Anyway enjoy!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #423 on: August 1, 2015, 05:16:40 AM »
Well Cavalier that's as good as ever! I love the organisation you chose for the wraithlord and blade.  That make me feel like if the Wraithlord is a Wraithblade that ate a mushroom from mario bros ! The avatar workd really well with this and i'm trying to think i will buy one of those dark eldar figure to make myself an avatar like yours :D

A recon style force?  I like that a lot! I will be following this army up close because that's a theme i will explore with my army aswell, one day, in a far far futur><

Keep up the good work it looks really excelent.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #424 on: August 2, 2015, 07:25:02 AM »
@Grizz- Hahah thanks Grizz. I'm very excited to run the Wraithlord, Avatar and Wraithblades. I love the models and though its not very Corsair themed its something I really want to do. Glad you like my Recon Force too. The third core unit of that army is going to be a unit of Jetbikes (all in black) with Shuriken Cannons. They'll be my "monster hunter" squadron and will be modeled up with cool trophies and whatnot. When combined with my other Jetbike units they'll be the third unit in my Windrider host for larger games. Its a slow process accumulating the models like you said... but my birthday is only a couple of months away and that'll hopefully speed up the process! Anyway thanks for the input bud your enthusiasm is always appreciated!

Quick update guys my, opponent cancelled so no in game photos... at least till next week. Come hell or high water I'm playing next week as its been 2 months since I got a game in. Not sure if it'll be against Orks though which sucks because I really wanted to play against them in a fun game where I got to use some different units. If I can't play against him I'll have to try and get a game in against one of my other buddies... which means a competitive game unfortunately.

Oh well it'll be good to just shake the rust off, and I'll actually get to use my new Jetbike unit which I finished awhile ago which has yet to make its debut without any proxies. Anyway staytuned guys and sorry for the lack of bat-reps. I'm gonna go all out to get a game in next week. Hopefully against Orks, but perhaps against Necrons or Wolves. Anyway stay tuned!
« Last Edit: August 2, 2015, 07:28:50 AM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #425 on: August 2, 2015, 07:55:56 AM »
Aww, that's a shame.  I was looking forward to seeing photos of that.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #426 on: August 2, 2015, 08:01:27 AM »
Yeah same for me! Yet what i read about your future plans is getting me super exited!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #427 on: August 3, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »
Your force looks even more impressive among those ruins.  I too am looking forward to seeing battle reports and how your army develops in the future.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2015, 08:33:41 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #428 on: August 5, 2015, 07:30:57 AM »
@ Irisado- Thanks Irisado. I'm looking forward to seeing where my collection goes in the future as well. I'm really working hard on some new lists right now that will create a truly themed Corsair list with my the rare units like my Wraithknight, and Wraithguard which are my Corsair Prince's most treasured units phased out. I've done a good job getting the Wraithguard out of there, but without a full unit of Fire Dragons, and other true tank busting options its been difficult to phase out the Wraithknight. Perhaps relying on the much maligned Void Raven would be the way to go and it make for a great looking flyer combo with my custom Nightwing. It's hard going especially not being able to go and just buy up everything I need. But its been rewarding, just totalled up my entire painted collection and it clocked in at over 6000 pts! Really exciting stuff... I'd love to get in an Apocalypse game at some point though transporting all those fragile Eldar models would be a nightmare!

@ Everyone- Anyway quick update for y'all. Thought I'd share my latest commission as its Eldar related. Working on a Dark Eldar archon! I didn't like this model from just the photos but having it in hand, it truly is gorgeous. The way the cloak wraps around the leg is my favorite part. Anyway enjoy! I'll have some more stuff for you guys soon!

[/img]
« Last Edit: August 5, 2015, 07:32:41 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #429 on: August 7, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »
Hey gang! Quick update before the weekend. I finally got my Dragons up to 5 man minimum. Managed to repair a miscast metal fusion gun just in time for a timely arrival of bits via ebay. I also popped a couple of flamer guys from my Stormies just to see if they'd do in an emergency proxy situation and I think they look pretty dang good- for emergency implementation.

The cool thing about my approach is that I can take these guys and sprinkle them into Storm Guardian squads should the mood ever strike me, saving me a lot of money and bits ordering.

Also started working on an OLD counts-as Seer/Warlock that I built a year or two ago. He looks ok, the modelling isn't super clean so he may be an emergency include as well. Gonna recreate him with some more modern bits in the future.

Also I did manage to get a game setup tomorrow, a friendly game against Tau! New player to the store, new army to face and in a friendly army list environment which is perfect! I think I have a nice list prepared for the game so stay tuned for bat-rep pix win, lose or draw. Anyway guys have a nice weekend and stay tuned for a bat-rep!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #430 on: August 7, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
I love the latest pictures.  All the models look great, and the emergency implementation is great.  Good luck for the upcoming game :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #431 on: August 9, 2015, 02:21:49 PM »
Hey gang, well after a 2 month hiatus of playing I hit the table again. This time the wrathful eye of the Lions of Asuryan focused on the arrogant Tau rebel Commander Farsight who dared to set foot on ancient Maiden World.

So this was the first time my new list would hit the table. Basically my goal is to create an Eldar army with balanced close-combat and shooting that does not feature the Wraithknight or Wraithguard. Now this list isn't entirely optimized, because quite simply I don't have the models for it. In the future I'd like to phase-out even the Wraithblades which were featured in the list, in place of Howling Banshees or my Voidstorm (Harlies) unit. In the end this list felt like an old school 2nd edition Eldar list with a 7th ed twist! It was very fun to play and quite deadly as you'll see. Here's the list!

Autarch- Banshee Mask, Firesabre
Spirit Seer

Wraithblades x5- Axes
Striking Scorpions x10- Exarch Scorpion's Claw

Dire Avengers x9
   Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannons
Dire Avengers x9
   Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannons
Jetbikes x5- Scatter Lasers x5
Rangers x5

Swooping Hawks x6- Exarch
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers

Wraithlord

I've long, long wanted to field the Avatar and the Wraithlord together and I can tell you both of them very much a place in the game. The thinking was that Avatar, Wraithlord, Scorpions and Wraithblades could very easily control the center of the board, and if I was cautious and used cover well by turn 3-4 come crashing through the enemy lines which would be weakened from support fire.

Anyway my opponent would by Kyle, who was new to the store, who brought his Tau! No let it be said he at first didn't want to play because his army wasn't painted, but I was desperate for a game and convinced him to play anyways. I'm very glad he did because Kyle is a stellar guy who was laughing and having fun the whole time which is a bit of a departure from my normally very quiet opponents (which is very odd in my experience).

So what did Kyle bring?

Commander Farsight
   Crisis Suits x3 with plasma and flamers
   Mess of Drones

Ethereal

Fire Warriors x10
Fire Warriors x10
Pathfinders x10
Kroot x10- Krotox Rider
Drone Unit x10

Broadside x1- Smart Missile Systems
   Drones x2

Longstrike in Hammerhead

Pirahanas x2

Riptide- Big Cannon, Smart Missile Systems, Fusion thingy

Now this was going to be a tough matchup for me. Tau are very difficult with their immense firepower and getting into their lines would be no easy task, especially with all that ignore cover potential with Smart Missiles on both the Riptide and the lone Riptide. I could hear my Wraithknight laughing that I hadn't brought him to the game, but the big man needs a rest, as I need to learn to play without him!

Anyway the task got much more difficult when we rolled up missions and deployment. Hammer and Anvil and the Relic! While I felt the relic favored me due to my infiltrators and the reticence of the Tau to go out and grab objectives, Hammer and Anvil was horrible for my new list! It limits my ability to flank the enemy and stay out of range of all that 30" shooting, and having to foot slog the Avatar, the Wraithlord and my Wraithblades up that considerable distance was horrible…. but in the darkest hour a light suddenly flared… the light of the warp!

Next up was time to roll warlord traits and psychic powers. I got VERY lucky and got conqueror of cities, which gave me move through cover and +1 stealth in ruins! Very very handy as I'd be hugging cover most of this game against that deadly Fire Warrior shooting. But the real gem was the psychic powers, I got Gate of Infinity and the one which increases your Invulnerable Saves by +1!!! This couldn't be more invaluable as the Wraithblades, Autarch and Spirit Seer would now be able to teleport all the way across that long hammer and anvil deployment and rock a 3++ on a majority T6 unit. I couldn't be happier!

I lost the roll off to go first (which I always seem to do) but it worked for me as I prefer going second especially against a gunline. So he set-up in typical tau fashion, and I setup very defensively out of LOS, infiltrating the Scorpions almost entirely out of LOS right atop the Relic in the center building and the game began.

Tau Turn 1- Very fast turn, but I took a hard blow. The heavy ion gun hidden in the Pathfinder unit was able to destroy one of my hornets who stabilizer wing was peeking out of cover. I was gnashing my teeth over that one as I was relying heavily on the hornets to deal with the Riptide. It was a significant blow, and I would now need to rely on massed medium strength firepower to deal with it. Also that annoying lone Broadside killed one of my Striking Scorpions with ignore cover missiles.

Eldar Turn 1- I fanned out sending the lone Hornet and Jetbikes to the right flank, with the JB's  just within 36" to nail that broadside whose ignore cover missiles would be a major threat to my all important skimmers, jetbikes and scorpions. The hornet alone kills the Broadside, while my Jetbikes hammer his pathfinders killing half the squad and the used their jetbike move to hop back out of LOS. Meanwhile the Avatar and Wraithlord begin their march up the right flank hugging cover against the threat of Longstrike. Then it was time to harness the warp and I did so flawlessly! I powered up our invuln. saves and used Gate of Infinity to deposit myself all the way behind his lines and hidden out of LOS. I couldn't have asked for a better place to land, and I knew I had immediately destabilized his entire position with that unit… assuming they rolled well to get into his lines because there was a WHOLE lot of firepower waiting to deluge me should I fail to do so.

Tau Turn 2- Before going further its important to note that my opponent forgot to roll for his reserves. He had a considerable amount of units including a big unit of Drones, Farsight and his Crisis Suit bodyguards (and more drones attached) a big unit of Kroot and the Piranhas. He didn't remember until after his turn was over and I began moving my own models. He asked if he could do his reserves and I declined saying if he had remembered in the middle of his turn I wouldn't have cared, he then asked if he could get a +1 on his next turn for reserves to which I agreed without much of a problem. It was a friendly game, and our first time playing so I didn't want to stone wall him. So anyway Longstrike turned around and shot at my Autarch, Spirit Seers and Wraithblades and the shot went wild. One of his pathfinders tried to fire his big Ion Gun but it "Got Hot" and killed him. The Riptide fired off some homing missiles against the my HQ squad but we made our beefed up invuln save. As happens with so many Tau players he over-committed to holding the line, instead of using LOS blocking terrain to move closer. So by keeping myself out of range using my 36" guns he was completely out of range, compounded by forgetting his reserves turned out to be a bit of a disaster!

Eldar Turn 2- The noose tightens! The Autarch, Spirit Seer and Wraithblades move out to multi-assault Longstrike and the Fire Warriors. The Wave Serpents move into position to fire on the Fire Warriors in the ruins on the right flank, while the Jetbikes stand poised to aid them or help finish off the Pathfinders. The Avatar and the Wraithlord continue to move up, as do the rangers while the Striking Scorpions continue to hold the relic, and wait for the Autarch/Wraithblades to start some Chaos at which point they'll join the fray. Then Swooping Hawks arrive from reserves and decimate the Pathfinders with their grenade blast. They completley eradicate the surviving 8 or so Pathfinders while the Wave Serpents and Jetbikes almost completely wipe out the Fire Warriors. It was a blistering display of laser fire that compleley shredded the Tau's right flank. Now for the finishing move… the multi-assault against Longstrike and the remaining squad of Fire Warriors. Easily nabbed Longstrike in combat… but then failed to get into the Fire Warriors! Disaster! We easily shred Longstrike (blowing him sky high) but now we stand exposed before the Riptide, 10 Fire Warriors and an Ethereal just waiting to buff them! This presents a potentially decisive opportunity for the Tau… but can the superior firepower win out against the superior resilience of the Wraithblades?

Tau Turn 3- The Kroot, and Farsight and his Crisis Suits and a big units of Drones all arrive! The Piranhas  do not . My opponent agonizes a bit over where to bring the Kroot but decides to place them in the ruins on the right flank alongside the remains of the tattered Fire Warrior unit in an effort to try and shore up his defensive line against the Wave Serpents, Avengers, Jetbikes and Hornet which have shredded his forces thus far. Farsight and his Crisis Suits use their flamers and plasma fire to eliminate the Jetbikes much to my chagrin. Meanwhile the Ethereal buffs the Fire Warriors allowing them to unleash 30, Strength 5 shots on the Wraithblade in addition to the nova-charged Riptide who all unleash on my command unit… and to my glee I lose but a single Wraithblade! The incredible resilience of the Wraithblades enhanced by the Spirit Seer has achieved an incredible feat! If he had been able to eliminate both the Wraithblades and the Jetbikes it could have been game deciding but it was not meant to be! Eldar turn 3 coming up!

Eldar Turn 3-  My command unit moves to an inescapable range for charging the Fire Warriors. My Wave Serpents move far away from the Crisis Suits (which had thrust away from them in the Tau turn putting them completley out of range the Serpents) and take aim on the Riptide. The Avatar and Wraithlord turn around to tackle the Crisis Suits and protect the Scorpions & the Relic. The Hawks Skyleap off the board and the Scorpions continue to hold the objective for another turn with their 2+ cover save (not wanting to expose them to either the Riptide, Crisis Suits, Kroot and Remaining Fire Warriors). Not much happens this turn in the shooting dept. with only the Serpents and Hornet wracking up some wounds on the Riptide. However the Wraithblades thrash the Fire Warriors but luckily they hold, all but guaranteeing me the chance to bust out of combat on Tau Turn 4, and thus denying the Riptide a chance to fire upon them. The Wraithlord also made a long charge into the Drones and thankfully remained stuck in combat after only killing 2. Again I count on busting out of combat on his turn and getting closer to those Crisis Suits without having to deal with any retaliatory fire. All in all this turn was all about re-establishing board-control with the arrival of the deadly Crisis Suits. So I reformed my lines, further securing the relic and preparing for another all out assault on turn 4.

Tau Turn 4- The Pirahnas arrive from reserves, as do a huge unit of Drones about 12" away from the Wraithlord, 18" away from the Avatar. The Ethereal continues to slink away from the combat joining a group of 2 Drones. While the Riptide and Kroot turn to deal with the Wave Serpents, while Farsight and his Crisis Suits deal with my rangers who are out of cover. The Riptide and Kroot (firing solid shots) force the Serpents to jink, and Farsight and his Suits eliminate the Rangers.  Another lackluster round of shooting from the Tau. Their lines are too disorganized to bring any real concentration of firepower upon a single chunk of the deadly Corsairs and noose only continues to tighten. The Wraithblades finish off the last bunch of Fire Warriors and consolidate a whopping 5" closer to the Ethereal and Piranhas for another multi-assault. Meanwhile the Wraithlord kills enough of the Drones to force a leadership check which they fail, and subsequently runs them down bringing me within easy charge range of the Crisis Suits. The end is near!

Eldar Turn 4- The Hawks return with another shattering display of offense, wiping out the Kroot and killing all but 2 of the 4 remaining Pathfinders utterly crushing the right flank. The Avengers all disembark from their Serpents. 1 squad battle focuses into the ruins in support of the Scorpions and attack the Riptide forcing a wound. The Hornet and snap-shooting Serpents also fire on the Riptide reducing him to a single wound! Then the second Avenger squad fires on Farsight and his Crisis Suit team, killing 4 out of 6 of their protective Drones. Meanwhile the Avatar lumbers towards the Crisis Suits, and the Wraithlord successfully makes the charge killing 2 Drones and a Crisis Suit. Leaving only Farsight and a lone body guard left! My Wraithblades destroy the Piranhas, and before combat is resolved against the Ethereal we call the game. What a slaughter! After a long hiatus the Lions of Asuryan arrive with a roar!

Closing thoughts. This was a very good game and a very challenging test for my army list as Hammer&Anvil deployment against Tau is very difficult. You have to hide out LOS as much as possible all the while aggressively moving up the entire time. I used a lot of close-combat slingshot maneuvers to deny retaliatory fire, capitalizing on large units with low LD, that would break on the Tau turn help get additional movement towards my primary targets identified for assault. It all worked very well, and to accomplish what I did in 4 turns was very gratifying! I still hope to change the list a bit more, getting it as close to a pure Corsair style force as possible but it'll be expensive $$ so I'm going to have to make do with the models I have for the time being.

Kyle and I will be having a rematch in about 2 weeks time, possibly against his hardcore Space Wolves list. He was a great opponent, and his jovial attitude was a nice change of pace compared to the usually pensive and quiet attitude of my usual opponents. It was a very gratifying win and a good time was had by all. Anyway thanks for tuning and I hope you enjoyed the bat-rep!

« Last Edit: August 9, 2015, 02:28:44 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #432 on: August 11, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
Hey guys got a bunch of progress for you on varous projects. Lets dive in.

The Corsair Venom is finished! Finally got a chance to finish the gunner and he looks really cool. Thought I'd post a comparison photo next to the Dark Eldar Venom. Not sure if it shows in the photos but they are VERY different models. I really prefer the Harlie version myself.

Also dug this out of my bits box and put some paint on it. This is gonna be a Falcon what Eldar play doesn't have one in their collection. Still a classic model and one I've got to have in my collection. Just gotta get a turret! Gonna put chevrons on it, also going to do the same for Serpents.

Also put the finishing touches on one of my GW ruin kits. Such an awesome kit and a total steal if you compare prices to 3rd party producers. You could spend forever painting it but a nice general approach works too. I did something sort of in between and I'm very happy with the results.

Also this is a SUPER early WIP. I've got more bits I need to incorporate, smoke effects etc. but this is going to be an objective for narrative games. Really looking forward to doing this. Anyway guys stay tuned more ahead!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #433 on: August 11, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »
Wow really awesome stuff here!!

I definitely have a spare Falcon turret if you need it, although it doesn't have any guns and you would need to glue the vanes back on as usual.

Love this thread, especially with the batreps interspersed to show how these nasty corsairs really tear stuff up on the tabletop as well. Just reading your one vs. the Tau -- surprised you rolled on Daemonology, but what a nice trick that was Gating across the table hah!

Well Corsair, your work keeps me inspired to keep upping the ante and finish painting to a higher level. These years past I have settled for mediocre tabletop quality, but we'll see about that.

Plus your lists and tactical notions keep me inspired to play with the Eldar and keep their fighting spirit alive (not just bikes and knights hah!), I'll send you the list I've been playing with recently which is much influenced from these threads.

Keep up the good work, and get some more games in!

Cheers
Ibushi
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #434 on: August 17, 2015, 02:32:05 PM »
@Ibushi- Hey thanks so much man! Glad you're enjoying the project posts. Thanks for the offer on the Falcon turret but I have one in similar condition, but I'm sure I'll find one on ebay eventually. As for the Spirit Seer, yeah Sanctic is awesome! All the powers are PERFECT for Wraithblades (and Eldar HQ's in general with +1 invuln). Anyway glad you're enjoying the content and yes I'm dedicated to going beyond just bikes and knights, and this project log will prove it!  8)

Hey guys. So in preparation for the IA:12 Fall of Orpheus campaign I'm going to help run at my LGS I've gone back into the workshop to prepare some new terrain! Trying to diversify the terrain pool, and increase the number of some specific terrain types to have a better all around collection.

So first up is this special objective marker. Its not quite finished but its almost done. Perhaps not as awesome as it could be but for a first attempt at diorama style objectives I think it came out pretty good. Gonna work on the smoke effects a bit more but it'll be fun to have when the time comes to use it.

Second! Huge piece of area terrain. I'm a big fan of rock fields as opposed to tree stands because they are easy and cheap to build. This one is coming along nicely and is huge! Almost a foot across. You don't see a lot of big pieces of area terrain and I've always wanted one so I went and made it. It should be a good piece for infantry heavy armies and a pain to forces like my own.

Third up is a HUGE new LOS blocker. This baby is so big your fliers and super-heavies will get cover saves behind there. Adversely you could hide a Land Raider back there and even a Wraithknight can't see over it forcing him out in the open to snipe those big juicy targets. Also there is one of the new hills I made too.

Anyway guys just a quick update. Really enjoying building the terrain and looking forward to a new campaign, which definitely means more bat-reps coming up. Anyway thanks for stopping by and stay tuned!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
Ah dude, love the objective and terrain, would love to see some more pictures of those.

For that pilot, you need to rough him up a bit, his ride just freakin' exploded! Sweet objective marker though -- I will get a picture of mine sometime and put it up here (similar concept).

Looking forward to seeing some more of the corsairs in action, especially of the choppy kind! The way you are playing wraithblades makes them really nasty, I like it. Especially with sanctuary for the 3++, nicely done. I just dont want to build up another whole squad of CC troops after using my harlies and banshees for so many editions :(

I do have one idea for putting the girls to use, but might be a while until I get to try it out. As for Harlies, I'm at a loss as to how to make them work, whichever way you do it is so expensive, and you just cant get around their fragility.

One thing I am still pondering though, is to use scorps the same way you did in your last batrep -- as an infiltrate and area-control or distraction type unit. Nothing to rely upon as a major facesmasher, but I'm sure they could manhandle a troops unit or two. An idea I'm tempted to try is taking a converted karandras (ninja conversion obviously hah, maybe a corsair assassin), and then a squad of 6 scorps no upgrades. Against some foes you can deploy together to use the bodies as ablative wounds, or else you can deploy them separately to maximize target overload. Thirdly, you could keep karadras backfield to grant night vision and stealth to some reapers or jetbikes and babysit them, while the scorps just camp objectives and make faces. Gives a lot of flexibility in applications to my mind.

Anyway, keep up the great work and the tactical expositions!

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2015, 06:58:06 AM »
Thanks Ibushi! Yeah you're right, I totally need to dirty up the pilot crawling out of the Wraithknight chest cavity. Not sure what I was thinking! Thanks for the advice on that one.

Glad you dig the approach with the Scorpions as well. I do think you need to go 10 max with them (though running them with Karandras changes that a bit) just because any losses really hurts their effectivness (you don't want the Exarch getting ganged up on).

They are one of those units that require patience. At the end of the game my opponent asked me why I didn't attack anything. The main reason being the Riptide, and all sorts of units were out and about, however I didn't plan on sitting them on the objective all game last time out it just ended turn 4. What I was waiting to do was move the Avengers up the board and take the central ruin where the Relic was. Once those 20 Avengers had the Relic then the Scorpions were going to move out.

The way I see Scorpions working is protecting key objectives until my Ob-Sec units can get in there and hold them down... or until a key shooty unit (thinking Necron warriors in particular) gets a bit too close them leaping out and nabbing them in CC. Keep them out of trouble, project a bit of a threat-bubble and move out in the middle rounds of the game and grab key units and start grinding them down in CC.

Anyway thanks Ibushi! I plan on running them quite a bit in the upcoming campaign but also this weekend against the Space Wolves. Anyway stay tuned more updates later this week!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #437 on: August 20, 2015, 06:07:15 PM »
Nice, yeah makes sense.

Recently I have shifted away from thinking of my combat units, particularly Wraithknight, Banshees, and Scorpions, as aggressors, but more as sentries.

If they chill in one spot and prevent enemy troops from occupying key table space (especially objectives!), then without even drawing their swords they have won me the game, so win-win for everyone.

Was admiring how effectively that worked out in your past batrep, but of course if the opportunity presents itself for some regular chainsword carnage, then go for it, right?

The one thing about Wraithblades that makes me super uncomfortable though is the low number of attacks. Makes me want to squeeze in Baharroth on top of a Farseer, adding some attacks, Blind, H&R, a 2+ tanking save, and then when you Gate I think they also wouldn't scatter. But now we're talking a titanic amount of points.

When can we expect the next classy corsair batreps? I will be back next week with some news at my end.

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #438 on: August 21, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
@Ibushi-

Recently I have shifted away from thinking of my combat units, particularly Wraithknight, Banshees, and Scorpions, as aggressors, but more as sentries.

If they chill in one spot and prevent enemy troops from occupying key table space (especially objectives!), then without even drawing their swords they have won me the game, so win-win for everyone.

For me the Wraithknight when equipped with his shooting options and the Scorpions are made to be used that way. You can even use your fragile shooty units like Jetbikes etc to draw units closer and then pounce on them when they get too close. Banshees on the other hand I think can be used far more aggressively. I've seen several video bat-reps where they've been used on foot and they basically run like mad, hugging one of the board edges with a cluster of other units and I've actually seen them do incredibley well. The highlight being in one of Scorpion82's bat-reps against Necrons where they killed a squad of warriors, huge mob of scarabs and even tomb spiders. I actually think that alongside the Sword+Shield Wraithknight running on foot they can be super nasty.

The one thing about Wraithblades that makes me super uncomfortable though is the low number of attacks. Makes me want to squeeze in Baharroth on top of a Farseer, adding some attacks, Blind, H&R, a 2+ tanking save, and then when you Gate I think they also wouldn't scatter. But now we're talking a titanic amount of points.

Yeah I think the points are way to high for such a combination. Part of the value of the Wraithblades is their low cost and with just a couple of cheapy characters (Autarch: Banshee Mask, Fire Sabre, bare bones Spirit Seer) they are a great counter-assault unit that slowly gets itself into position to protect your shooty units from assault. Or if you can get Gate of Infinity (or they are in a serpent) I see them as a sort of "Vortex" unit that just starts slowly dragging ever bigger chunks of the enemy force grinding them down over time.  Don't forget that Wraithblades also have Rage so they get bonus attacks when outnumbered... But even still the low number of attacks doesn't really matter to me... I want them to grind down large shooty infantry over a couple of turns and hopefully break them in my opponents turn. Their high strength, toughness and good invuln saves (even better with Spirit Seer rolling on Sanctic) enables them to fight MC's like Riptides and vehicles with equal ease.

When can we expect the next classy corsair batreps? I will be back next week with some news at my end.

Thanks for the compliment! As for a bat-rep I'll have a new one for you guys late this weekend or perhaps on monday! I'm playing a 3-way king of the hill battle tomorrow morning. Should be fun! Only 1250 pts aside and keeping it fairly friendly in terms of list building but I'm still sticking with some of my newer units so stay tuned to see how the experiment continues! Thanks for you very interesting comments Ibushi I really enjoy talking Eldar tactics as there are no Eldar players at my store and haven't got a chance to talk to one in person for over 5 years now!

@Everyone- Hey guys so I've been very busy this week, busting out some new terrain and working on a refurbishing job on some models I'd forgotten about... my War Walkers! I love these guys, they've been repainted 3 times now but still look good and I thought I'd put some finishing touches on them.

So here are some WIP photos of both them and some of the new terrain pieces I've been working on.

War Walkers & New Terrain: EDIT: In some of the pix the chevrons look wonky, but trust me they are almost arrow straight in real life, its just some distortion from the camera angle!

Also finished my big LOS blocking terrain and included some scale shots with my Wrathknight and my brothers Imperial Knight and some his tanks. His tanks are actually behind the Knight on in one of the photos and you cannot see them at all which was the point all along :)

New Terrain:

Anyways thanks for stopping by guys and I hope you like the new stuff. Stay tuned though cause I've got some bits coming for a totally new kitbash project that I think you will all like... and it'll enable me to get even closer to a very potent, fluff-centric Corsair force. Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:05:46 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #439 on: August 21, 2015, 02:04:26 PM »
Ah man those walkers are SWEET, the chevrons are perfect, it puts my walkers to shame.

The one thing about those models (GW!) is the hip joint -- it is impossible to make it smooth. For mine I am looking at finding bits to glue over the joint, but no luck yet.

I admit I did think you were going to go with the stealth colour scheme for your walkers, but these look gorgeous, so who cares.

Tactics-wise, i would love to see those banshee batreps, where do i hit them up? I have never seen banshees successfully employed on the tabletop, but i definitely have ideas about how it would be done.

Like what you're saying about wraithblades, that makes sense. Don't really need a banshee mask on the autarch even hah. Wraithblades do have Rage, but that grants +2 attacks for charging, you are thinking of Rampage which is +D3 per model when outnumbered, which is what grotesques do -- it is NASTY. Personally I think the Avatar should grant Eldar in a bubble both of these rules, not just Rage. Would be fluffy and sweet, but not OP i dont think.

Anyway...I am just doing some repairs on my highly battle-worn models, and am packing them up for TSHFT tournament tomorrow, really looking forward to it! Hopefully one of my friends brings a decent camera and we can get some action shots up on my GT list thread.

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall