News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Infestation.... crushed... :(  (Read 447 times)

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Infestation.... crushed... :(
« on: March 1, 2008, 12:25:26 AM »
Sorry to be the one to say it lads, but I played a 1k game today vs what turned out to be Necrons.  I built a list, and decided to go with an early infestation-style theme.  Played a Gamma Recon... list was:

Brood Lord, ExtCar
  6 Genestealers - Ext Car

Lictor

(3x) Genestealer x6, Ext Car

Gargoyles x16

Biovore x3, Bio-Acid mines

The last turn I had one brood at half-strength in his deployment zone, and he had his lord with about 17 or so warriors, giving him the game by about 250 points (the most solid loss I've had in quite some time).

Things to note about the game...

Firstly, this style is extremely different from what I'm used to.  I play a very balanced swarm, with a solid amount of support fire (Deathspitter warriors, 3 Thropes, Carnifex with guns, etc).  Plus, lots of gaunts.  So not outnumbering him 2:1 was new (in fact, I don't know that I actually *did* outnumber him... probably, but not by much).

Secondly, I'm also used to running broods of 10 Genestealers.  Obviously a brood of 6 will be less effective.  I don't think I accounted for this quite enough.  I should have focused more on his large squad of warriors (complete with Rez Orb Lord) to make up for it.

Thirdly - had I placed my Biovores *behind* the forest instead of *in* it, they would not have been shot by Destroyers on turn one, then have proceeded to fall back off the table in the following turns, never firing a shot.  Blast me for wanting to force him back via the nothing-within-24" rule.  This one really could have made a difference... even a few downed warriors could have put some units below half, and evened up the points.

The Lictor... I'll say it, I love lictors, and see lots of use for them... in the right army.  Unfortunately in this army the only real thing they could help were the Gargoyles, and he arrived too late for them.  So he charged the lord, did a wound, and got swatted.  Heh.. sad, and a bad use for him, but at that point there was nothing else.

A fun army, and good for a laugh, but not one that I will run regularly.  If I ever try again, I'll be bulking out those squads... I miscounted, and actually have enough Stealers to run 3 broods of 8 (which would be much better).  I was really trying to keep with the Early Infestation theme for most things... Biovores being perhaps an oddity (originally planned on having FA Spore Mines, but had to fill points).  Also... the Broodlord.... eh.  I wasn't all that impressed.  Infiltrate didn't really do much since I still had to wait for him to move forward with Scarabs (unless I wanted to be out in the open for a turn).  My usual Flyrant would have likely been in combat sooner.

But I digress....

I'll say again, a fun one-off, but not a swarm I'll be using regularly.

On the plus side, we've got notes and pictures for a nice BatRep, and hopefully (maybe even next week) we'll be playing a larger (2k probably) follow-up game.

For we all know the death knell of a Broodlord only means the coming of the swarm....

Khira'lyth

Offline coredump

Re: Infestation.... crushed... :(
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2008, 08:30:59 AM »
I run a similar infestation list...

6 is too small, I think of 7 as absolute minimum, and much prefer 8-9

If you take EC off the Blord, you get more options for taking wounds. May want TS though.

With that many broods, EC is much less likely to pay off. You may want to try scuttlers. It also helps to 'protect' and gets you killing faster. (and will save you 20pts)

try only 2 biovores, 3 is a lot of points in 1K
If you want a few points, I have found 14 gargs to be 'enough'

Lictors are great for tying units up for a turn (like warriors). It lets you move the stealers forward without getting hit by rapid fire. Also good for hitting destroyers that are hiding near terrain. And yes, the lord was a poor target.
In the past the sun moved around the Earth.
This is fifth edition! You are wrong, your opponent is right.
-Finoro
Glancing hits suck my face off now
-YuenglingDragon
RAI is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
RAW is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
-Hymirl