News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Trying for a 1850 competative List.  (Read 468 times)

Offline Wanna-b-fanboy

• Colonel
  • "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"
Trying for a 1850 competative List.
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »
Good evening all,

I am looking ot make a relatively competative list for 1850. I have a reasonable idea of what I want to do, but need some assistance with the fine-tuning. Here is my list:

Hive Fleet Fenrir

HQ-

300pts    -Brood Lord w/Toxin Sacs
                   11 Genestealers w/ Extended Carapace
161pts   -Hive Tyrant w/Wings, 2x Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs,
                   Bio-plasma, Psychic Scream

Troops-

160pts    -10x Genestealers
160pts    -10x Genestealers

Fast Attack

120pts   -10x Gargoyles
120pts   -10x Gargoyles

Elites-
113pts   -DakkaFex w/2x Twinlinked devourers, enhanced senses.
113pts   -DakkaFex w/2x Twinlinked devourers, enhanced senses.

Heavy Support
195pts    -3x Zoanthropes w/Warp Blast and Psychic Scream.
148pts   -Sniperfex w/Barbed Strangler, Venom Canon and Enhanced senses.
148pts   -Sniperfex w/Barbed Strangler, Venom Canon and Enhanced senses.

total: 1738

I have 112 points left, but I understand that I will be doing some trimming to make room for more. Anyhoo, let me hear all your suggestions.

-WBFB
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 02:01:58 AM by Wanna-b-fanboy »

Offline Spyke

• My hair is awesome!
Re: Trying for a 1850 competative List.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:28:05 PM »
I like the setup of your Carnifeces. The whole Screamer idea seems very fun as well with the Tyrant and Zoans. I've never done it myself, but I hear good things about it. Past that you can shave a couple of points from your flyrant by dropping bio-plasma, this won't really help you.

The Gargoyles are an interesting choice as they rarely make it into competitive lists. I'm not a big fan of them myself and you might be better suited with more genestealers. Though, you would have to be careful that your flyrant doesn't end up lonely. Aside from that it seems like a good list. I also usually suggest against Extended carapace on Genestealers since a 4+ save isn't to great, but if they're going to be infiltrating with that brood lord it might be a good idea to keep a save vs. bolters. Just keep in mind that you can get almost 3 more genestealers by dropping that EC (of course they'll have to go into your other squads).

If you like the composition and overall feel of the list then I would simply recommend dropping the bio-plasma and using your extra points to fill out genestealer squads and some extra gargoyles if you have points left over.  Feel free to post any updates. Good luck!

Offline Scalu

• Craftworld Zaitor / Splinter Fleet Whiteclaw
    • Campaign Maps
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »
It looks like a good army all around.

I'm not a big fan of Psychic Scream though.  But most of my army is h2h, and it's not great if the enemy unit that I charge breaks on it's turn leaving my unit to be shot at.  I like to do a bit of damage on the charge by positioning my units so only 2 or 3 models will get to make their attacks, and then the next turn when everyone is consolidated, I hope to break them then so I am free to move about on my turn again.  Might want to give them Catalyst instead to keep the 'fexes in line, and Warp Blast on the Flyrant (w/o Enhanced senses) could come in quite handy from time to time.

For the rest of your points, you might just want to through in a tarpit of 16 guants with fleshborers.
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
1850 pts Tau army assembled and painted in 1 month!

Offline Lottis215

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:21:37 PM »
Keep in mind that a Broodlord with that big of a retinue will be very hard to infiltrate effectivly.  Although the idea of getting that close with that many genestealers is appealing, I would probably drop the number to around seven and use those points for another squad of stealers or another dakkafex.  One squad of supercheap spineguants is nice to have around in order to claim objectives and  screen monstorous creatures if need be.