News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codex wishlisting....  (Read 7428 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Codex wishlisting....
« Reply #40 on: October 6, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
Mandiblasters should instead of killing stuff just prevent that model from making any attacks in the current round of combat if hit...
There is wish listings, then there is pipe dreams, then there is... what ever this is.  That is, without a doubt, the single most broken suggestion I have ever heard.  I know of one ability in the game that prevents a unit from attacking in combat, and it only moves their ability to activate to the very last unit chosen.

Full on preventing models from attacking?  No, that is going way too far.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #41 on: October 6, 2017, 05:08:49 PM »
I feel like in an ideal scenario, Scorpions would be better against big groups of models and decent all-rounders, and Banshees would be good as fast-on-their-feet, shocking chargers against power armored enemies. Maybe this is just my feelings from previous editions on how these units should work. I'm not sure how this would be implemented though. As it is, it seems like Banshees are better against anything without strong invulnerable saves, though they are less durable and and they need a ride. It's fine for Banshees to be fragile to shooting, and for Banshees to need a transport. Maybe I'm just not using them right, I guess.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #42 on: October 6, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »
Eldar are also a synergy army. Units should be supported by buffs and powers to get the most out of them (to make them really scary). Sort of like how Khorne Bloodbound is in AoS. Lackluster on paper, but scary when the dominoes start falling.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #43 on: October 7, 2017, 06:27:31 AM »
There is wish listings, then there is pipe dreams, then there is... what ever this is.  That is, without a doubt, the single most broken suggestion I have ever heard.  I know of one ability in the game that prevents a unit from attacking in combat, and it only moves their ability to activate to the very last unit chosen.

I agree.  In fact, I'd go a step further by saying that almost everything being suggested in this topic is going way too far.  It's like reading elements of the second edition Eldar codex all over again, and that is not how I think the Eldar codex for eighth edition ought to develop.

Eldar are also a synergy army. Units should be supported by buffs and powers to get the most out of them (to make them really scary).

Augmenting the abilities of units is not synergy, it's either force amplification or simply bolstering their defences.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #44 on: October 7, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »
Mandiblasters should instead of killing stuff just prevent that model from making any attacks in the current round of combat if hit...

Well, that would be broken if it were on a unit basis, my suggestion was on a model basis, only models hit by the mandiblasters would be unable to fight for that assaultphase. The mandiblasters would still need to hit, most likely on a 3+ so a unit of 10 scorps assaulting 10 marines, may have 6 marines in range and statistically 4 of them would be stunned by the mandiblasters, so still 6 marines hitting back. In addition the marine player can opt to choose stunned models as the first casualties.
You also wouldn't be able to use the mandiblasters in the opponents round.

This can of course be effective to numb characters in CC or simply to lock down units.

Scorps current 2 S4 attacks are not that scary for an elite CC unit and eldar needs one living CC unit that can stay alive for a while.

Sure you could water this down to having a -1 to hit them in CC, but then the mandiblasters should hit automatically.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #45 on: October 8, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »
KS, think about it, as you advance, and your opponent too, more weapons are brought to bear. There are only so many units you can sensibly use to baby mind the Avatar. Once these die, your main man is next.
Scorn, I'd like your opponents. You screen Khaine with guardians and your opponent can't get past it? Lol.😊

40-60 Guardians with a Conceal Warlock has worked as a screen when there are other threats to deal with.
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #46 on: October 8, 2017, 03:52:21 PM »

Augmenting the abilities of units is not synergy, it's either force amplification or simply bolstering their defences.

This.
Although the Aura abilities is one of the few things of 8th edition that I actually prefer just taking advantage of Auras does not equal Synergy. Synergy is all about recognising strengths and weaknesses and building tactics and combinations to get the best out of all the units that you are taking whilst trying to negate the weaknesses as much as possible.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #47 on: October 9, 2017, 12:11:31 AM »
Ive been thinking of the various possible Craftworld tactics. I dont think my ideas are creative enough but we'll see.

Alaitoc (going for the more ranger based theme than the strict adherents to the path)
-1 to hit when more than 12" away. We've seen it before. Not very exciting but it is strong.

Biel Tan
Aspect warriors re-roll 1s to hit. After seeing Cadians get it army wide for restricted movement I think it could be a possibility for 8 (to 10 if you included CHunters and SSpectres but we'll stick with the 8 ) units to get it without penalty. Being too lazy to do the maths I'd say it wouldnt quite be as good as the Aspect Hosts were in the previous dex but we'll see. They'll probably just get ObSec

Iyanden
Wraith units gain Battle Focus. Another one I'm thinking based off the formations from the previous dex

Mymeara - Strike when the enemy is strongest
Opponent gains 10% additional forces. Who was the genius in charge of the Betalis III campaign?

Saim Hann
Vypers and jetbikes treat heavy weapons as assault weapons.  Another dull one perhaps. Maybe these units gain ObSec on top of that. Trying to think of something along the lines of the Windrider host.

Ulthwe
Treat the Wrap Charge value of psychic powers as being 2 lower than normal e.g. WC7 becomes WC5. This is kind of like the old seer council formation where they got powers off easier. This way, you'd have the same chance of perils than if you gave +2 to the dice roll.

Looks like we'll find out soon enough how close my ideas are.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2017, 01:38:27 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #48 on: October 9, 2017, 12:54:52 AM »
I think your guess for Alaitoc is probably right on the money.

Given the limited usefulness of Battle Focus I'd be surprised if Iyanden was "Wraith Units get Battle Focus"

The reason is, Battle Focus is only useful for:

Wraithguard with Wraithcannons

Wraihlords with Shuriken Cannons or Catapults

Why?b Because without ranged weapons, Wraithblades get no benefit from Battle Focus, Battle Focus doesn't affect D-Scythes, and all of Wraithlord's other weapons either don't get helped by BF, either cause they auto hit (Flamers) or cause they're not eligible (Bright Lances etc)

I think this would be a pretty limited rule.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #49 on: October 9, 2017, 01:40:46 AM »
Mymeara - Strike when the enemy is strongest
Opponent gains 10% additional forces. Who was the genius in charge of the Betalis III campaign?
This one I can pretty much guarantee won't happen.  It is a system that could work in one off games, but GW has demonstrated their willingness to work with the tournament community, and this is not feasible in a tournament setting. 

That being said, who in their right mind would ever take this?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #50 on: October 9, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »
Iyanden - Wraith wall: Wraith units confer the rule of being in cover to friendly units if the enemy's LOS passes through a unit of wraith constructs.

Offline MechTau

• Eldar for the Eldar God!
  • Armies: Tau, Eldar
« Reply #51 on: October 9, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »
Wave Serpent should not be best Eldar tank (It should be a good tank, though!)

Wraithknight should be on par with Imperial titans, I don't really know how titan balance works, but consensus is that Wraithknight is over costed.

I think then give Eldar a way to get CP without having six Guardian squads. Could be done with cool and fluff formations. Could be done less drastically by simply making Dire Avengers better. Just thinking now, allowing Dire Avengers to be mixed units with Guardians would be an interesting decision that would beef up Eldar troop choices by allowing a few wounds to not drastically cripple a squad of basic troops. Dire Avengers are just expensive for their number of wounds.

Please say no to whatever they did to Imperial Guard, that seems like a bad case of codex creep.