News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deathguard Codex  (Read 5716 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Deathguard Codex
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »
The indexes were by all accounts were fairly well balanced to the point that most people were happy with them. A bit of tweaking and all would have been solid.

The litany of complaints about the Eldar Index in the Eldar board would suggest otherwise ;).

Back to the topic at hand.  I would say that it's very unlikely that many players will opt for squads of twenty Plague Marines.  They'd be too expensive and too slow.  It's far better, in my opinion, to mount them in a Rhino and give them mobility, so that this durable and hard hitting unit can be exactly where it needs to be.

Whenever a new codex is released, overly powerful options on paper don't necessarily turn out to be employed with as much frequency as anticipated in the game.  I'd thus recommend waiting to see the Deathguard in action before getting too concerned about large squads of Plague Marines being boosted to such an extent.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:08:12 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »
The indexes were by all accounts were fairly well balanced to the point that most people were happy with them. A bit of tweaking and all would have been solid.

None of those people were Tau players.

I'm reserving judgement here until we see how things lie when the DG take the field. A lot of hoopla out there about mortal wounds, but mortal wounds done in the 1s ans 2s are really not the end of the world unless you're playing a super elite force.

T5 is not what it used to be, nor are MEQ saves. The only thing so far that gives me significant pause about the Death Guard is Disgustingly Resilient, which seems very, very good. But then, that rule was in the Indexes anyway.

Of course, the fact that it seems Plague Marines are going to cost less than Rubric Marines still pisses me off to no end, but this is literally no different than any iteration of the game ever. Plague Marines have *always* been the best cult troops, and it seems they will remain so. Forever.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
Dude,just wait until then thousands sons codex is out. There is no point comparing the index to a codex.

Every codex that's been released has tweaked points and rules for the units within.

I also doubt plague Marines will see much table time anyway (in competitive settings). They don't really have much going for them besides the extra save. It's all about the pox walkers.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
10 PM with Biologus will kill 5 marines on average roll of 35 shots. Its really not needed considering everything else they have. They'll make good objective holders with out the grenade spam in a balanced list.

Pox walkers are just more hordes and well, lets face it, hordes are still broken in 8th. Complaining about that is just beating a dead horse at this point.

Offline Drah

• Suffer Not the Unclean to Live
    • Crossfire Gaming Club
  • Armies: Death Guard, Primaris Marines
« Reply #24 on: November 8, 2017, 10:22:40 AM »
Am loving the Biologus' rules as well as all the new Daemon engines, pretty happy with the new codex overall