News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mech Guard - Prob the last outing (2k, 113 PL)  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
Mech Guard - Prob the last outing (2k, 113 PL)
« on: July 6, 2017, 12:56:55 PM »
This is my tried and true mech guard that I have been playing now for 8+ years with a few modifications to fit the new format. With the new edition and how armored vehicles work, I'm not sure.

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [113 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ HQ [8 PL, 100pts] +

Company Commander: Chainsword, Laspistol
Company Commander: Chainsword, Laspistol
Tempestor Prime: Chainsword, Tempestus Command Rod

+ Troops [18 PL, 410pts] +

4x Infantry Squad (Flamer, Vox-caster, Autocannon)

2x Militarum Tempestus Scions (2x Plasma gun, Vox-caster, SGT w/Plasma pistol)

+ Elites [17 PL, 296pts] +
Command Squad(Heavy flamer, Regimental Standard, Vox-caster)

Commissar: Plasma pistol, Power sword

2x Veterans (Heavy flamer, Shotguns, 3x Flamer, Vox-caster)

+ Fast Attack [11 PL, 205pts] +

Hellhound (Heavy Stubber)

2x Rough Riders (5 men)

+ Heavy Support [34 PL, 504pts] +

2x Leman Russ Battle Tanks

1x Leman Russ Demolisher

+ Dedicated Transport [25 PL, 485pts] +

5x Chimera: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Multi-laser

++ Total: [113 PL, 2000pts] ++

This is close as I could get to the fit and feel of my last main IG army. I feel like I'm wasting some points in the Russes and Veterans but I want to see what my old standby does in the new rules.

This is what I'm anticipating.
- HQ slots, probably fine, there to give orders not much else. Might actually make them a bit killy in the future.

- Infantry squads, I used to park a platoon in chimearas and open up with the autocannons, and then use the flamer to protect the chimera in close. Right now chimeras don't have the back hatch rule, hoping they put it back in with the codex proper. Until then I'm thinking kit them out with a special weapon only.

- Scions, I think they will do their job well. Went with plasma instead of melta because of the 9" drop range. These used be the job of melta vets in a chimera.

- Command squad, boost leadership and sits on a heavy flamer. With the new rules for split fire I might change them out with sniper rifles to threaten characters.

- Commissar will do his job fine.

- Vets, I always had them get in and mix it up with melta bombs and meltas/demo charges. Made my 8th edition demo charge with 4 flamers and interested in the str 4 shotgun. This job might be better tunned for SWS.

- Hellhound, it has a interesting roll. Auto hits and each wound does 2 wounds killing primaris marines. Problem is I used to use it to knock off assaulting units from tanks.

-Rough riders, I need 3 FA slots to make the brigade and since the hellhound can't knock off people CC vehicles. I'm giving the job to them. The lance no longer 1 and done weapons but only work on the charge.

-Russes, I want them to be sooooo goooood. But I don't think they will be.

I plan on running this list a few times to see what works and doesn't. I want to run it a few times to make sure its not some odd dice.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Mech Guard - Prob the last outing (2k, 113 PL)
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »
I don't really see the Regimental Standard as being worth it, myself. You've already got a commissar in there and then the Ld bubble warlord trait for your Company Commander--the extra Ld bump just won't be worth it. Besides, if you've lost that many guys in a Infantry squad and the Commissar isn't nearby for some reason, you can always just pay command points to stop them from running.

I'd swap out the Standard with something that shoots at the enemy, myself. I feel loosely the same way about Vox Casters, too.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
It looks like I can drop the standard and the heavy flamer and give the squad triple plasma guns. Your right about the vox, 6" normal command range goes to 18" with vox not a huge boost. 

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
It looks like I can drop the standard and the heavy flamer and give the squad triple plasma guns. Your right about the vox, 6" normal command range goes to 18" with vox not a huge boost.

It's a good boost if you intend to have units flung all over the board. But since when do people play guard infantry that way? They all cluster around the same area of the board and there's not much reason an officer can't move+advance to wherever needed.

Anyway, yeah--more guns, I say! More!

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
The other thing is you can advance an officer before issuing the order to get a 12-18 inch range already. The units that would benefit the most from voxes, HW and SW teams, don't even have the option to take them anyway.

HW since they would stay behind to not get the +1 BS and SW because they normally would be up front to get close with flamers.

I did keep the voxes in mainly because this is mech guard and they can get spread out.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2017, 01:09:26 PM »
Update on the list after the first battle:
- Battle 1, DOW deployment no spec rules just learning mechanics of the game.
- Opponent: Truck Orks, 5 trucks, 1 battle wagon and a few other things.

Deployment:
I set up my standard mech gun line but had my infantry squads dismounted so they can open up with the autocannons. 2 russes and hellhound holding the left flank and solo demolisher on the right. The 2 vets in the extreme flank chimeras. Scions and rough riders in reserve.

He sets up similar.

Turn 1:
No movement by me and I go right to the shooting phase, only wing 2 truck down to 3 wounds. I get my horrible rolls out at the first turn.

He moves forward as much as he can and shoots a few guardsmen and opens up on the demolisher with his dakka jet. Loose 3 wounds.

Turn 2:
I bring in my rough riders behind his guns to harass and clean up the back field. I disembark one vet team as orks are getting close to their chimera. Scions drop in by the bastion and open up dropping a truck and then issuing a RUN order to the other Scions to keep them in position to road block. Russes destroy another tuck and open up on the ork passengers. Drop them down two 2-3 models each and they die in combat res.

Here comes the charge, komandos show up on the demolisher but fail the charge, 1 unit of boys charge the demolisher and make contact they do NO WOUNDS! Dakka jet manages to knock a few more wounds on it. Center line squads get charged and analiated along with commisar and company command. They consolidate in my my chimeras and another line squad.

Turn 3:
Disengage all chimeras from combat and unload the last vet team, 2 vet teams wipe out 2, 12 ork squads in one turn of shooting, hellhound kills the ork warboss, I disengage my line squad and issue get back in the fight along with another squad with FRFSRF and annihilate a 3rd squad. He has nothing left and I win the mission due to him just having commandos and a few trucks on the board.

I wanted the mech guard to be dead but it isn't. I even forgot to field my command squad. Flamers are the stars of this match and I'll see about dropping the autocannons from the line squads and making a heavy weapons squad of them.

Flamers are amazing! S4 shotguns are amazing, Hellhound is really good, 2 damage per wound makes it an assassin and a unit killer with the d6 shots auto hiting. Vox was good because if I loose an officer I have the overlap for orders. 

First round of shooting largely did nothing bad rolls by me. 2nd round was good and the 3rd was amazing.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »
Good win! Congrats!

Nice to hear the shotguns were working for you!

Got a game in (though half the size) just last night and I've got to say that the utility of Chimeras impressed me. I think I *might* prefer the Taurox, but having a big rolling tarpit was a nice option.

Think you're going to keep the Vox, then? Gotta say, for Mech Guard you might be right--it might be worth it.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 04:21:59 PM »
Ok, I think I have the list tuned to the most pain delivery possible.

+++ 2017-7 Mech Guard (2,000) (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [110 PL, 1997pts] +++

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) ++

+ HQ +

2x Company Commander: Chainsword, Shotgun

Tempestor Prime: Tempestus Command Rod

+ Troops +

4x Infantry Squad
. Flamer
. Heavy bolter
. Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

2x Militarum Tempestus Scions
. 5x Tempestus Scions
. 4x Plasma gun
. Tempestor: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

+ Elites +

Commissar: Bolt pistol

4x Special Weapons Squad: 3x Guardsman
. 3x Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer

+ Fast Attack +

Hellhounds
. Hellhound: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

2x Rough Riders
. 5x Rough Rider

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks
. 2x Basilisk: Heavy Bolter

2x Heavy Weapons Squad
. 3x Heavy Weapon Team: Autocannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

7x Chimera: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Multi-laser

Link to third party software removed - Iris.

All infantry can either fit in chimeras or drop into position along with the 2 units of rough riders coming in the flanks. This gives me 9 drops, with 9 drops I have a decent chance of actually getting first turn. The 7 chimeras gives me a volume of fire (63 shots @ 36"). With this along with the auto cannons/basilisks I should be able to cripple/destroy enough vehicles to give me another turn of shooting.

Main changes:
- Everyone gets a chimera.
- Scions up to 10 man teams letting me have 4 plasma in each.
- Line squads dropped the vox
- Line autocannons changed to H bolters.
- Russes are gone, now with Basilisks.
- 2 units of autocannons
- 2 vet teams converted to 4 SWSs with flamers.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:39:12 PM by Irisado »