News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First run wit da boyz!!!!  (Read 1150 times)

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
First run wit da boyz!!!!
« on: June 24, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »
So I decided not to go to the tourny today at my local game store. A series of unfortunate events kept me away (ie. not getting the codex in time, not being able to prepare my army, etc... I never go to tournies unprepared).

The good news is that as I was getting my army ready, my 8 year old son says, "I want to learn to play warhammer!" I mean, what father doesn't want to hear those words. It's the geek equivalent of "can you teach me how to throw dad!"  ;D

So I let him look at my Crimson Fists and just pick out what he like. I didn't work up an army list, just made an ork list with about the same amount of points as his. I actually like this arrangement as it made it more thematic; two patrols meet...

He chose the Land Raider Crusader first (because it looked the coolest he said) so I threw in 5 assault termies to go with it (3 LC, 2 TH/SS). The rest of his list looked roughly like this:

1 drop pod with missile launcher, 5 man squad with powerfist sarge carrying a combi-melta
1 Rhino, 5 man squad, sarge with combi flamer
1 Land Speeder with tryphoon missle launcher
1 Demolisher

Here is the next grand master of the Crimson Fist. Step out'a the way Pedro!

Here is a close up of the Crimson Fists...

I didn't figure points, but I tried to select an army that was roughly equivalent. I went with:

5 biker nobz, 2 pk, 2 bc
1 battle wagon, 2 bs, 11 shoota boyz, BC nob w/kombi skorcha
1 trukk, 9 shoota boyz, BC nob w/kombi skorcha
3 rokkit buggies

Here is am, proud Warboss, er I mean father! :)

Here is the money shot of da boyz!

So, our "gaming table" wasn't much. Our terrain was some flowers and some bunnies... I'm gonna need to bring the kid to my LGS for some real terrain...

My son got the first turn and deployed on his table edge. You'll see as the game progresses that he might should have stayed there for a turn or two as his shooting phase was by far the most productive.

I deployed on my side of the table and got ready to hit the gas!

Turn 1 saw him drive forward and start shooting. He spend most of everything he had on the battlewagon, which was knocked down to only 2 wounds left. Only some luck left it rolling! The demolisher cannon was a real beast to my wagon. My son did fire a lot of small arms into it, which would have been better targeting something else...

He dropped the pod mid-field and tried to finish the wagon with the combi-melta, but missed thankfully. I'm pretty sure that would have finished it off. He did blow my trukk up with a combination of the typhoon and small arms (hey, weren't these supposed to be more survivable!) :) The boyz piled out and hoofed it...

In my turn, I figure it was time to make him pay for coming so close. I drove the BW right into the land raider. I was worried about overwatch, but it had no effect and I managed to wound the LR and tie it up. The BW boyz got out and assaulted the drop pod squad. It took two turns, but eventually we blew them up.

The nobz hung back and shot. I was waiting for those termies to hop out before I engaged. Everything else basically shot at the demolished and didn't do a whole lot. I was hopeful that the rokkit buggies would shine here, but they all missed. That's ork shooting for you! 
 :P

Here is a pic of the end of round 1...

So round 2 saw the termies get out and assault the battlewagon, finishing it off with their thunderhammers. Poor wagon, never even saw it coming! :) The demolisher polished off a rokkit buggy and damaged another. The lone sergeant leftover from the drop pod fought valliantly over his fallen brothers, but got clobbered by the nob with his big choppa.

The Rhino advanced and fired at the trukk boyz, dropping one.

On my turn, I advanced the nobz and opened up with the dakka gunz. I managed to kill one termie and wound another. The change was brutal, with the termies not even getting to swing back. Power Klaws going first on the charge was massively strong. >:( Nobz for da win!!!

The nobz size up the termies...

And Charge!!!

Turns 3 and 4 saw attrition of the forces... For one, the Land Raider crew apparently did not appreciate the nobz running down the emperor's finest, unleashing a devastating barrage, killing 2 nobz and wounding a 3rd. Then my son made a major mistake by charging the nob with the LR. He did manage to finish off another nob, but eventually by turn 4, the PK's ripped the LR to shreds.

On the other side, it didn't go so well for the boyz. The Rhino squad assaulted the BW boyz and ended up killing all but the nob and two boyz by the of the turn while remaing at full strength themselves. Lesson here is that shoota boyz who get charged are not so good in CC...  :)

The rokkit buggies finally woke up and blew away the land speeder!

We called the game at this point... My son was left with a drop pod, a rhino, and 5 marines... I had one squad of 3 boyz, a 10 man squad, two biker nobz, and 3 rokkit buggies. I'm pretty sure the next turn would have seen me wiping the marines out...

My thoughts: So for marines, the LR crusader is still great. It did a lot of damage shooting and would have done more if my son didn't love the idea of assaulting with it. The termies got walloped. Attacking first on the charge was huge for the orks. It makes those power klaw biker nobz very deadly... On the other hand, the nobz were very fragile without their innate cover save or an invul save... 

On that note, the big choppa nobz are great too. I was impressed with how it did. I'm thinking that the BC and kombi-skorcha is a real winner for orks.

I hope you enjoyed the report... Please feel free to comment!!!

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: First run wit da boyz!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »
Awesome first initiation game. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to teach them how to crump. I absolutely love you battlewagon conversions. The spiked deffroller and the chicken wire surrounded cab make for a great Mad Max feel.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:46:24 PM »
Thanks... I made the deff rolla from a screw driver handle. I drill holes in it, then put tooth picks for the spikes... One thing I love about orks are the conversion opportunities. You get to be really creative with junk from around the house.

Adam

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 03:11:37 AM »
G'day Adamscurr!
Thank you so much for the flashbacks of when my kids were kids. Our times at the table are some of our fondest memories. Unfortunately they out grew the hobby. Enjoy your time with him while it lasts, mate. They grow up fast.   

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 07:38:33 AM »
I will indeed...

Adam

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:13:46 AM »
Good Stuff!

I too did the same with my daughter when she was about that age, and she too chose to build crimson fists... Now she is 25, still has her army and still wages waaagh.. My son too, I used to play eldar and he started orks. He grew out of the orks and so I stole them back from him. Now, I am addicted to orks and the Saim Hann still gather dust.

The batrep was cool, seeing a starter game was cool too. So, You not only earn teef for a batrep with pictures, but you get some bonus teef for a new addict convert.. ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #6 on: July 2, 2017, 11:10:35 PM »
Thanks Skeet... Hopefully I'll get to my store shortly and fight a proper battle... But in the meantime this was fun!

Adam