News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348390 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1220 on: April 18, 2017, 12:58:02 AM »
Wow. You're taking to long to finish it, haha. I agree with everyone. Gonna be a beast on the table.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1221 on: April 18, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »
@Saim-Dann- Lol... no chance! Trust me I've got big plans for the men in black (my DA). They are next on the agenda and will get a TON of FW love... but outside of a few purchases... definitely gonna wait for 8th ed. too. Thanks bud!

@Looshkin- Hey bud thanks. Yeah... I just had to start doing this kinda stuff. Really want to take my models to a new level and I've always wanted a vehicle with a fully painted interior. Wish I had painted the walls before we had assembled. I had always intended to paint the interior but it just didn't register till my bro had assembled the main chassis. Its a less exact then I'd like but the computer panels all came out surprisingly well so I'm happy. I know I'm extremely lucky to have my brother helping me. He's my best friend and you couldn't ask for a better brother. Anyway thanks bud I appreciate it!

@Dog of War- Thanks bud. Yeah I love doing the computers in that green color. You cant get too much more nostalgic for the 80's then me... so I'm right there with you. Thanks bud glad you like the progress thus far!

@Dread- Thanks bud.... yeah its a doozy of a kit. No way it wouldn't take a long time... especially with all my commission work. Yeah I think its gonna be a beast on the table too. Can't wait to field the World Eaters... they should be nasty! Thanks!

@Everybody- Well the Storm Eagle is ALMOST ready for paint... Just waiting for some bits to arrive (should be tomorrow or the next day). Cannot believe how BEASTLY this thing looks in real life. Its freaking monstrous... really happy I bit the bullet and centered the World Eaters around this sucker. Should make for a really fun and unique play experience. Almost ready...

Also I finally managed to finish the 1st 3 Reavers. Got final highlights on 3 more dudes and then have 3 more to actually assemble. Gonna be thrilled to rock 9 of these dudes... will really flesh out the DE wing of my Eldar collection. Gonna be nasty!

Anyway thats it for now guys. Stay tuned... I should have some fun hobby updates this weekend. See you then!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1222 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »
Really nice work Cav! On both the Reavers and the Storm Eagle.

Just looking at that final interior pic has made me think that if you paint the outside a different colour it'll look like the interior's coated in blood...

@Looshkin where abouts are you? I've often thought that i'd give my left nut to have a servitor to paint my ever-expanding primered legion ;) if you ever want to do a collab i'd be happy to model you something to paint if you give me some inspiration of what you want ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1223 on: April 19, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
Niiice! That's one imposing piece, Cavalier. Like your photography as well with a Reaver one level up showing the undercarriage. Very classy. Am sure I'm not the only one who's learning more than just painting from you.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1224 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
Well the Storm Eagle is ALMOST ready for paint... Just waiting for some bits to arrive (should be tomorrow or the next day).

OMG I can't believe that something as expensive as a Storm Eagle needs extra bits.  :o

The interior painting that you have have completed is amazing and I can only repeat what everyone else has said and the terminals look brilliant
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1225 on: April 19, 2017, 02:59:07 PM »
Loving the Storm Eagle! The internals really look great Cav, your work on the details is so good!
What are you going for on the outside? Khorne red or going old legion colours?
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1226 on: April 21, 2017, 06:59:13 AM »
@Ynneadwraith- Thanks bud. About the bloody interior... yeah my brother was insisting that I paint the exterior in bone or white, and while artistically I know it would rock... I just gotta make this feel Berserker to the max. My artistic side is demanding it... but my inner fluff bunny is winning the debate! Thanks bud... glad you like it an I'm glad I was able to impart that slaughter house vibe to the interior... that was goal!

@Saim-Dann- Thanks bro. Glad you like the positioning of the Reavers in the photo. Its fun trying to setup cool pics for hobby progress updates. It helps having the table permanently set up too. Glad you are able to get some tips too... if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I'm always happy to help... I did a bunch of posts for my buddy Alienscar about modelling with the Berserkers not too long ago, so if there is anything in particular you'd like to see just let me know. Thanks bud!

@Alienscar- lol... not as expensive as you'd think. It was like $115 standard whch would be fine if it was loyalist... but being Chaos, my brother had to file off all the iconography and so it needed a little bling. Only about $25 worth of bits which may seem expensive... but for the centerpiece of my World Eaters its really no sweat. My philosophy with 40k is to do everything for keeps. Whether its painting or modelling... replacing units because you didn't magnetize, skimping out on the paint job because you want it tabletop worthy, or buying just random stuff to hobby up instead of saving up for the big unit you really need always comes back to bite you in the end.
     I think thats why I have such a moderate sized collection for someone who's been playing since 2nd edition. I just go slow with all this stuff and don't buy anything new until everything is painted and I don't rush into anything new if I think change is in the air. I'm probably gonna hit the breaks after this... pick up Kharn and PERHAPS some new Berserkers... though I feel a new kit for them is right around the corner. Anyway... I'm rambling now.... You've got me going on a hobby sermon!!! lol...

Anyway thanks Alienscar I'm glad you dig the interior pics. I've been trying to take these photos in stages just for you bud. I know you love those WIP's. So thanks bud! And curse you for invoking my hobby sermon!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

@Auric's Pride- Thanks as always brush-bro. Like I said to Ynnead, I was tempted to do Legion colors... buts it gonna be all Berserker red... but I've got some really nice bits my brother and I are gonna put on today. So a good mix of red and gold. But there will DEFINITLEY be Legion markings on there... I've got the spots already picked out for the old XII markings... and I've dug into the heraldry as well and will try and free hand some Heresy era symbols on there. Anyway thanks for asking bud... glad your liking it. I CANT WAIT TO PAINT IT! ARGHHH!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1227 on: April 21, 2017, 08:58:50 AM »
And curse you for invoking my hobby sermon!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think I will stop posting in your thread Cavalier as I thought for a minute I was heading for another telling off.. :D

Seriously though you are at your best when ranting at the painting haters and you bring up some really good points.

Anyway thanks Alienscar I'm glad you dig the interior pics. I've been trying to take these photos in stages just for you bud. I know you love those WIP's.

What a beast of a kit this is.... My brother is a champion for assembling it. He's done so much work just to get it to fit together. He even made a hinge on the backdoor due to some of the defects with the resin. Incredible! He's even magnetizing all options.

I do love WIP and this model is a joy to watch as it comes together. Being the whinger that I am I wish I could have seen some pictures of the problems that your brother faced and the magnetising work.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1228 on: April 27, 2017, 07:01:06 AM »
@Alienscar- Lol... Well I'm an Eldar player you I'm automatically an art-snob lol  ;D ;D ;D Yeah it as for WIP's of the problems... I'm not sure if we could pick it up on camera. It was things sort jointing together properly. There were a few bits where things didn't line up and my brother did KILLER greenstuff work. That would have made a great photo to show just the way my brother did it. Next big project I'll make sure to photo some of the problem spots for you. I'll go slow with the photos on the paint job though as I'm gonna do a lot of weathering and stuff which should fun to chart. Anyway thanks Alienscar, I'll make sure to get some good WIP pics for you  ;D ;D ;D

@Everybody- Hey guys mini update for you... So the Storm Eagle is almost finished being airbrushed. My airbrush was giving me FITS after working so beautifully on the Thousand Sons Terminators I was doing... it better not give me crap today cause I gotta hit up Magnus, as well as hit the bottom of the Storm Eagle.

However before I post Storm Eagle progress I do have some Eldar stuff to share.

First up are my Reavers! ALMOST finished... gotta weather the engine exhausts and I forgot to paint a rune on one of the flails. Other than that they are done! Really happy with how they came out too. Was able to get bring them up to a standard I'm really happy with. Especially considering they were repaints. Also very happy to give them all their individual markings so I can split them up into squads of 3 and know exactly which guy is in each squad, even after assaulting the same unit. 1-3 going together, 4-6 going together that type of thing.

Also... more repaints incoming! I checked out my Fire Dragons and I was shocked to see the state they were in. I hated the way I had done their gold... using Liberator instead of Retributor, and it was almost like they hadn't been shaded at all. So I hit them with a wash, repainted the gold and the re-did the highlights and started adding some battle-honors. SOOOOO happy I did... these guys have been champions and deserved a better paint job. I noticed some guys I hadn't even highlighted the back of the model. Really shocked at that... so they are on the docket for immediate painting. Plus you always gotta have a unit of Dragons ready for a new edition!

Also... I found the first mini I ever painted! Can't believe I hadn't pulled this guy outta my old bits box. But here he is! As you can see I went for a VERY simple take... I remember wanting to make sure the primer did most of the work and as you can see I still take that approach today. I think he looks pretty good for a first go. I wonder if this why I always wanted to DA in black? Who knows but thought you guys would think its funny.

Anyways thats all I got for now guys. Thanks for stopping by and see you next time with some Storm Eagle updates!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1229 on: April 27, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
Great update! I really like the Reavers, and the Fire Dragons are looking much improved indeed :)

Reminds me, i need to go back to my exodite hunters as i noticed the other day they're lacking the skin washes and improved eye technique so look rather odd next to my later stuff.

Loving the first model, it's always great to see people's starting points :) you're right, he doesn't look too bad!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1230 on: April 27, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
I have run out of superlatives to describe your painting so suffice to say that everything looks stunning.

Also... more repaints incoming! I checked out my Fire Dragons and I was shocked to see the state they were in. I hated the way I had done their gold... using Liberator instead of Retributor, and it was almost like they hadn't been shaded at all. So I hit them with a wash, repainted the gold and the re-did the highlights and started adding some battle-honors.

Just wondering about your repaints. When you repaint a colour like gold do you prime it first or just paint the new colour over the old?

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #1231 on: April 27, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »
Haha +1 to that Alienscar

That re-touch on the dragons in particular is absolutely stunning, way to go Cav what a great call -- and totally deserved by those little fire demons!

Oh man I can't stop laughing about that first ever painted model, well done for hanging onto that sir. Pretty sure mine was a Black Templar terminator, very very similar actually, but I went for boltgun metal over black rather than what looks like mithril. Wish I had kept it too haha!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1232 on: April 27, 2017, 06:02:47 PM »
G'day Cavalier! Had to download the Reavers to make sure, but wow! You actually painted the little square runes on the wings. That's master class, mate. Even the stripes on the fins of your troops. They look simple but we know their not. Just one little wobble stands out like dogs tails. Your Dragons came up nice. Have always liked their unique look, especially without the helmet. Even as a newbie you liked the metallic look? Very neat for a first go.
Thanks for sharing, Cavalier. Looking good as always.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1233 on: April 28, 2017, 07:06:19 AM »
@Ynneadwraith- Thanks bud. Yeah those Dragons were so hurting... I'm not sure what the hell was going on. I think I rushed my Stormies, Dragons and 2x Jetbikes. Can't believe that especially considering all the conversion work I put into them. Oh well... definitley a lesson I wont forget. Glad you like my original dude too, I can still remember painting him. Thanks bud  ;D

@Ibushi- Thanks Ibushi. Yeah the Dragons definitley needed some love. Looking forward to sprucing up my other unit of Wind Riders and eventually my hornets. Yeah my original Space Marine is a trip, really glad I kept him. Thanks a lot, always appreciate your feedback.

@Saim-Dann- Hey thanks Saim-Dann. Yeah from here on out, I'm dedicated to really going all out on my models. Squad markings, individual markings on jetbikes and vehicles, banners, heraldry and eventually Raiding Company colors to differentiate each Corsair Company. Like my Scorpions and Rangers are from a separate Company then my red armored dudes... basically in-line with the Corsairs Raiding Company FOC where your overall warband is comprised of raiding companies loyal to a single Corsair Prince. Really want to do the same with my Dark Angels... and Chaos will get similar treatment but with less of an emphasis on organizational markings and more just details in general.

Yep even first starting out I loved using the metallics. I don't think I'd ever seen metallic paint before and I was very impressed. lol  ;D Thanks a lot bud, glad you enjoyed the update.

@Everybody- Hey guys unfortunately all my personal projects are gonna probably go on hold for awhile. I'll be able to squeeze a little work into the Storm Eagle here and there, but I've got a hard deadline on this Thousand Sons army that I have to meet. So I'll share those updates with you. After this though my schedule will definitely calm down as I'm planning on restructuring my commission work for a specific reason which I'll share later. I've got some awesome things in the pipe.... I can't say anything more than that. But I've got some big bold plans going forward. So stay tuned! Alright talk to you guys soon, take care. 

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1234 on: April 28, 2017, 08:10:19 PM »
Those Reavers look sick Cav...the net is quite impressive and  I now see what you were going for. It's a great result. The Fire Dragons are looking sweet too. They're incredibly characterful and quite dynamic for what is normally a very static unit.

Shame to hear that your own projects have to go on the back burner, but I guess you have bills to pay! Still, it'll be cool to see more 1K Sons as the first batch you did were terrific!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1235 on: May 2, 2017, 06:56:42 AM »
@Looshkin- Thanks bud. Glad you like the net... it looks a lot better in person trust me! Thanks a lot on the Dragons too. I really worked hard on modelling them and then totally slacked off on painting them! I think I was in an super rush to get them on the tabletop after my Wraithguard got upgraded to destroyer weapons. lol.

Yeah unfortunately commission painting has recently dominated my hobby time. Hopefully thats going to change. I've got a pretty big plan on how even things out and make things more lucrative. As my buddy Evil-Space-Elves or Brian from the Splinermind podcast says... I'm in commission hell for awhile now. The Ad-Mech army which basically had to be brush painted... and the 20 Rubrics that were all worked up from gold primer have been brutal. They look good but its been brutal. Anyway I'll have a fun update soon for you. Thanks for the suppport bud, means a lot.  ;D

@Everybody- Well I finished the first 5 Terminators yesterday. Word of advice to anyone looking to collect Thousand Sons... get ready to paint your rear-end off. These models have soooo much detail its ridiculous. Anyway hope you guys enjoy! More to come!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1236 on: May 2, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »
Am sure you'll have one happy chappy for a client there, Cavalier. See what you mean about the detail. Smart sticking to a small number of colours. Is that the standard blue for Ksons or is that your own choice, because it radiates. It even outshines the gold. Painting for a job then painting when your at home? Sign of a true passion, mate. Hats off!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #1237 on: May 2, 2017, 07:41:22 AM »
Looking good there bud! I love deatil heavy models. Longer to paint, but easier too. It's kind paint by numbers at that point lol. One of the reason I love painting aos models so much, they are packed with detail.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1238 on: May 2, 2017, 08:27:06 AM »
Outstanding painting on those Thousand Sons :).  The skill with which you have painted those details is extraordinary.  You must have an incredibly steady hand.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1239 on: May 2, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »
Great edge highlighting and use of colour. I particularly like the purple magma you chose for the base. It's unique and let's the model stand out from its base.