News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Did you know.... [Ethereals and Regrouping]  (Read 679 times)

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Did you know.... [Ethereals and Regrouping]
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »
So I was taking a look at the BRB FAQ just now, and came to this question:

Quote from: BRB FAQ
Is a Regroup test a Morale check?

Now, given that units that are falling back automatically fail all Morale checks (as per an errata earlier in the document), it seems that the answer must be "no" (or else a unit could never regroup), and the document confirms this. Now, this shouldn't be a big problem, since Morale and regular Leadership tests are virtually the same, right?

However, those of us who have used Ethereals know that their ability only has an effect on Morale checks. This means that you cannot use Inspiring Presence to get your troops to regroup and stay in the fight. This seems really odd to me.

Now, it may have been different in 4th Ed. (I don't recall), but I know that I used to use the Ethereal to get units who were falling back to turn around. Clearly this is not allowed anymore (if it ever was).

Now, one classic trick with Ethereals was to have units who took casualties from shooting fall back to avoid being assaulted, only to have them regroup. I now have to wonder if this tactic is worth the risk; granted, your odds of surviving a combat ane virtually zero, while your odds of passing a leadership test (should) be much higher, but I know from experience that my troops rarely like to regroup.

So now that Ethereals cannot help to bring troops back into the fray, is their (already very disputed) worth even less? Like I said, it is possible that this was always the case and I just never noticed, but either way I am rather disappointed. I like my Ethereal (although I have not used him in some time), and now it seems that including him in my army again might not be worth it at all!

- When being tank shocked, getting LOS to the Ethereal is likely going to be difficult (since a Tank is more than likely going to be in your way).
- Given the penalties from losing a combat, I would not be surprised if the remains of a unit would have to test at a -4 or more. Even with a re-roll your odds of staying are extremely slim. Granted, most commanders would rather just have the unit fall back and be wiped out, so with the re-roll you are almost guaranteed to do so, but that just isn't my style....

This means that the only time the Ethereal would really come in handy is from shooting casualties, but is that really enough?

Maybe I am over reacting, though. What are your thoughts on this matter?

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: Did you know.... [Ethereals and Regrouping]
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »
The only usage of the Ethereal I thought was cool was in a full squad of Broadsides with shield drones up the ass, it was nice in 4th.

But in 5th, one round of shooting from 3 Guided Scatter Laser Warwalkers.....woun d allocation and 1 failed cover save of 2 had 50% of the tau army run away.....

No, I think GW killed the Ethereal.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:15:51 AM »
The poor old Ethereals are really not getting much love.

Whilst their fearlessness and morale boosting abilities were often at the forefront of their abilities, wound allocation has all but killed (in a figurative AND literal sense) the effectiveness of this; as sanctjud rather crudely pointed out.

With that in mind, there really does only seem to be one thing for it - a large honour guard to help protect your ethereal. The BS4 honour guard are a very positive plus for an army, however, even they are fraught with issues.

Are you willing to trade the scoring status of a fire warrior unit for the increased BS?

Offline Lt. Horstgeld

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
Are you willing to trade the scoring status of a fire warrior unit for the increased BS?

I, for one, am not.  Plus I need the extra points they cost for more guns.
First they ignore you.
Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you.
And then you win.