News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help a Necron N00b survive the Hive Mind  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Walter Sobchak

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Help a Necron N00b survive the Hive Mind
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
I have inherited a Necron Army and have only played two games with them.  One game was against Tau and the other against Orks.  I am fighting a 1500 point battle against a veteran Tyranid player tomorrow.  List and tactics suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know he will have a Flying Hive Tyrant, a Tervigon, Lictor, Tyranid Warriors with Wings and Boneswords, Hormagaunts, Zoanthrope(s), Ymgarl Genestealers and regular Genestealers. 

This is what I have to create a list from.  All of the models with slashes have been magnetized, so I can use either option.

Nemesor Zahndrekh

Vargard Obyron

Trazyn the Infinite

Necron Overlord

2 Necron Lords

3 Crypteks

10 Necron Immortals with Gauss Blasters

5 Necron Immortals with Tesla

10 Necron Warriors

5 Deathmarks

1 Wraith

6 Scarab Bases

3 Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers

1 Catacomb Command/Annihilation Barge

1 Night Scythe/Doom Scythe

1 Ghost Ark/Doomsday Ark

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Herm_777

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Help a Necron N00b survive the Hive Mind
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:04:28 AM »
While I personally don't have the experience to make a list specifically tailored to fight bugs, I'm happy to provide some general points that you might find useful. The flying Hive tryant in particular is going to a real pain. When using biomancy powers, it's possible for the tyrant to become toughness 8 if my memory is correct. Having said that, you need to select models that can actually hurt this beast.

TROOP CHOICE

Looking at the models available to you your probably going to take all of them. At 1500 points you generally need 3 troop choices for those objective games. Luckily for you, you have 3. They are

10 immortals:

10 warriors: (proxy as immortals if possible)

5 immortals:

Troop total: 385 (proxied 425) 

If your Nid player will let you proxy, I would turn those 10 warriors into immortals. Since there are no tanks in a nid list the gauss rule has little effect. As a result the extra strength and AP of a gauss blaster is more valuable (it can even hurt toughness eight). Another benifit of proxying immortals is that this allows you to beef up the squad number to 9,9,7 for greater survivability.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Based on the models listed, there are some easy choices that are effective against tyranids. Lets get this out of the way next.

Annihilation Barge:

Hurts monsterous creatures and hordes. Really you can't go wrong with it. Will be very useful fo kill'n the flying tyrant. Go all tesla.

Doomsday Arc:   

If you proxy immortals, there really isn't a strong argument to take a ghost arc. Immortals can't ride in the arc and you're paying for powers you can't use. The benifits to taking the doomsday arc is instant death to anything that is toughness 5 and below, the big blast template, and the range. All are really helpful against the bugs.

Heavy Support Tota: 265

ELITES

Really easy choice for the elite section because you only have 1 and you really need to take it.

5 Deathmarks

They can wound slected models on a 2+ regadless of toughness and can ignore armor saves if they rend. You're going to combine this with 3 other army choices to make this really devestating (night scythe, despair cryptek, and a proxied destroyer lord to reroll those 1s.

Night Scythe:

Will transport Deathmark sqaud. This thing is probably going to get ripped apart by the hive tyrant. That's ok, its sole purpose is to drop the death mark squad with the despair tek and the proxied destroyer lord to whatever needs to die (believe me whatever you shoot will). if it manages to fire its Tesla cannon extra bonus, but don't expect much.

Elites total: 195

HQ

Overlord

Warscythe, weave, mind shackle scarabs

You need to take a necron overlord. Not only are they good, but more importantly they allow you to use crypteks and necron lords. Considering your limited models you need him. Given the following equipement he can kill anything in the opposing army thanks to the mind shackle scarabs and the warscythe

Proxy Destroyer Lord
warscythe, weave, mind shackle scarabs

Take a necron destroyer and proxy him as as a necron destroyer lord. This guy is a close combat monster, he will save whole units from certain destruction by himself.

Despair Cryptek

flame templates are always useful against tyranids. They're eve more useful when they wound on a 2+. put him in the deathmark squad with the destroyer lord. one of the deadliest shooting units in the game.

Destruction Cryptek #1
Gaze of flames

Destruction Cryptek #2

These guys are going to help kill monsterous creature from far away. Put them in the immortal squads (especially the one with the gaze of flames/defensive grenades)

HQ total: 420

FAST ATTACk

5 scarab bases

This is your throw away unit. These things should intercept whatever tries to assualt your immortals/ doomsday arc (genesteelers are high on this list). Keep the scarabs away from monsterous creatures that can insta kill them.

2 Heavy Destroyers

These guys are meant to kill monsterous creatures and zoanthropes. They are very expensive for what they do, but you had a limited selection of models. Luckily they have a long range weapon for the task.

Heavy Total: 195

GRAND TOTAL: 1500

There hope this helps. Please post how your match goes.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:04:26 AM »
1) Avoid setting up in terrain. The zoanthropes aside, there is very little shooting and certainly none which beats your armour save. Receiving a unit of ymgarl genestealers unexpectedly in the back, however, is a lethal experience. The lictor isn't too much of a threat to a decent size unit but is more than capable of charging out and smashing up a tank if you float too close to area terrain.

I'd consider keeping the warrior in a ghost ark. The doomsday ark's mega-cannon-of-doom isn't actually that great against the tyrant - the achiles heel of blast weapons vs monsters is only doing one hit at a time and - more importantly - a swooping monster can't be attacked by blast weapons.

Herm_777 is correct in that the tyrant is your priority kill number 1. If it deploys hidden somewhere, it will swoop forwards 24" on turn 1, then glide 12" on turn 2 and charge. That is realistically enough to hit anywhere on the board save the back edge after possibly only a single shooting phase with snap shots only, and, biomancy or not, it will chop any unit you put in front of it into itty-bitty dog treats. The testla barge is the closest you've got to a hydra, and is a good call.

The night scythe is fine - the hive tyrant won't be able to hurt it, and nor will anything much else, so long as it doesn't slow down. Tyranids have no skyfire weapons and virtually no way of getting them, and vector strike at S6 (base strength, remember) won't do much against armour 11. There's no real point in putting a unit inside - all it does is deprive you of their firepower on turn 1. Mobility won't help you that much - you don't want to get closer to the bugs - with the possible exception of late-game objective grabs. For these, though, there's no need to start on the plane.

To my mind, just take a doom scythe for extra shootiness and use it as a gunship. Prime target are the tyrant (if he's still alive when you arrive) as the scythe can skyfire its guns, or else the shrikes (winged warriors) because 3 wounds each makes them hard to bring down with small arms fire, but dead meat the moment a death ray touches them.

HQ wise..... first, don't bother with obyron. He's the best combat HQ necrons have but largely relies on the combination of a 2+ save and an AP2 weapon that isn't unwieldy. The problem is that all monstrous creatures, rending hits and boneswords will go through your armour, so there's a pretty good chance he'll still get junked before he attacks.

Zandrekh - not bad, but there are relatively few rules on the list tyranids are dependent on.

Trazyn is good, if only because a bug army has no sergeants, etc, and with a tervigon on the board you may find yourself buried in swarms. When facing lots of big units of fearless but largely useless and easy to kill military detritus (like termagants), Trazyn's empathic obliterator is worth its weight in gold. In addition, he'll make a deathmark unit scoring, which could win you the game.

Mindshackle scarabs are a good call on non-special characters and/or courts for special characters. Not to put too fine a point on it, it's the only way in hell they'll survive a challenge against a monstrous creature.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Herm_777

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 03:32:48 AM »
Doom scythe can only shoot ground target with its death ray. It's in the most recent FAQ. That was the prime reason that I went with the Night Scythe. If only that FAQ hadn't come out... *sigh* then we'd also have jinking monoliths too.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 04:13:50 AM »
Got to disagree with Locarno here: terrain is your best friend against Tyranids. As they have essentially no assault grenades available, forcing your opponent to charge into terrain in order to get you (which he is going to want to do from looking at what he is running) means that you actually have a good chance of winning combat by taking all the steam out of their rather fragile combat units before they get a chance to strike. Plus, if you deploy cannily and make sure you have enough of the various bits of terrain covered, you can kill the Ymgarls without firing a single shot or ever getting into combat
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Walter Sobchak

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »
Thanks all for the help.  He said he didn't mind if I proxy anything I need to.  My friend gave me 10 metal first gen warriors.  So I can proxy more immortals if needed.  How many Immortals should I bring?  Also, should I go 50/50 Tesla/Gauss, all Tesla, all Gauss?  You all seem to agree on the Annihilation Barge, what about Trazyn or Overlord on the CC Barge? 

Herm_77, should I park the Scarabs near the Doomsday Ark?  Any other ways to protect the glass cannon?

Offline Herm_777

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:18:02 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. I was having trouble with my connectivity with the internet. I get the feeling that this advice is too late but I hope that you find it useful.

1) I would not take carbines against the bugs. The extra range and AP are too good to pass up.

2) If your going to use Command Barge use it with Trazyn. He can drive by slap large squads of low armor saves. just take a lord so you have another vessel that Trazyn can teleport too. The drive by slap can be very risky. Also if you take trazyn get rid of the destroyer lord and Necron overlord, and fill up your immortal squads if you have any points left over after getting trayzen, his CC barge and lord (maybe with gaunlet of fire).

Hope this helps.