News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sluggas vs. Shootas  (Read 3100 times)

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
Re: Sluggas vs. Shootas
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »
I'm not an Ork player but I play Orks pretty routinely.  I find Shoota boys pretty devastating.  Even with their nuts BS, they have enough shots to put a hurtin' even on Marines.  Lay into 'em a bit and follow up with a charge and it's mostly me dead and wishing for meteor to hit the damn greenskins.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline gun_wun

• Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »
Well it been a tough 2 weeks.  Nothing worse than hitting a stumbling block with a project then getting sucked up by work and life and not being able to get to your project!  The good news is I've moved forward!  So I ended up on trying to find a happy medium between Sluggas and Shootas.  I'm going to put some hand to hand weapons in off hands, so it's my hope that if I want I can call them Sluggas, and some will be posed just with Shootas.  Not sure how that works rules wise (perhaps only friendly games), what do you think?  Can I outfit enough of da boys to call them either or does it need to be just Shootas and call them Shootas?  My plan is to give enough choppa kind of stuff that it could go either way.  Ummmmmmmmm any help with this before I build the rest would be great!  At the end of the day if I end up only being able to call them one way it's going to be shootas.  After all there will be more building in my future.

Soooooooooo Shootas it is.  I really wanted to build Laz Guns as was suggested.  When I got into it, building Laz guns out of plastic card was looking like a task (one I need much work on) when I came across some old Ork gun bitz.  I looked at dem and said yes, I'm liking it.  Better yet the Boyz said "nows dat is Shooty"  They really didn't like the idea of Laz................ ......... plus it took away from my web gear.  My first 5 boyz have good web gear.  The next 5 will have less web gear so it will not be a issue loosing the detail by shootas covering up the space.  It's always a work in progress so I'll just have to see how the project goes............... ........

Here is a picture of my RTO boy with the new gun prototype.  I found my self stuck on the Radio handset.  I'm liking this one better.  The finished model will have a cord running from the headset to the Vox.  Still not 100% on the pose with the radio headset.  The arm may need a bit more adjustment before it gets greenstuffed and sleeves.

Building RTO guys is well kind of a tradition.  I figure it fits being Blood Axes and all.  You know, what self respecting Blood Axe Mob would deploy in the field with out Tac Com!

Here is the first RTO (notice generation 1 bush hat?).  He is from way back in the day.  You can see the headset attached to his pack.

Here is a better shot.  You can also see I'm rebuilding Da Mushrooms on his base as the old ones just couldn't stand the test of time..........

Here is the RTO for my old Kommandos.  Unfortunately they are now way out of scale, so it looks like more building (and a good opportunity to use bush hats!)

Last, but not least.  Now I need to figure out long sleeved or short sleeved BDU tops.  I'd really like to do short sleeves so I have more skin showing, the problem is it presents more sculpting challenges.  I guess by making dem short sleeved my skills will be forced to improve, long sleeved would be a nice cheat.  Originally I was planning collars on the BDU tops, but once I got the webgear in place I ran out of space.  Thinking I may revisit collars as I want to have enough room to capture the feeling of the camo.  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  Will need to see where this goes.

So my questions,

Is it reasonable to build the squad kind of mixed,  The majority will be armed with Shootas, but if I put the ol school shootas in one hand and a hand weapon in the other could I still call them Sluggas, or because they do have Shootas (some armed only with Shootas) must they be played as Shootas? 

The Guns, do they feel right, or should I hit the drawing board again?

Thanks for the help and sharing in my madness............ .................

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 06:43:26 AM »
I'd be fine with them being Sluggas.  Just make sure your opponant knows beforehand.

And I love the Comm-Ork.  Looks zoggin' fantastic.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline spotaflint33

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
I second the 2:1 Ratio.  I haven't been playing with my ork army yet but been number crunching and find that this tends to be best.  I do want some shooting capability. 

Offline reallifejon

• Ork Boy
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 08:46:31 AM »
Another great, great update!   I am loving your models - old and new.

I think you'll be fine having a mix of models can using them as either shootas or sluggas.   Most people are used to ork armies being full of scratch-builds and hard to identify stuff.   What you're proposing will not be hard to remember.

I'm actually considering doing something similar myself.   What I intend to do is have a banner stuck in the ground (on a base) that I can move around with the mob.   The banner will have a big symbol on it - eg. a shoota glyph or a choppa glyph, that will make it very obvious to my opponents what the unit is armed with.

As for your shoota models.   I like them.   I think they look much better than the las guns.   They're more orky, more old-school looking, and more 20th century army-tech looking than weedy lasguns.

Offline gun_wun

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 02:30:01 PM »
   Being busy sure does make a project bog down..............  It's tough as I sure you know.  Gota work, yet da boyz call me to the desk.  I'm moving forward but it has been slow of late.

Thank you for the great feedback and the help with making decisions.  The good news is I'm moving in a positive direction now.  I've got me shootas figured out.  Yes, I like the ol school guns opposed to Laz Guns.  building Laz guns would have forced me to get better at using plastic card, but we will save that for a latter date!  Man I look at peoples plastic card work and drool.............. .

I really like the idea of a glyph banner.  I think I will end up doing that, just so there is no confusion.  I really like the idea.  Thanks!

So my next question is Stick Bombs.  Is it a good choice?  I'm thinking 1 or 2 boyz could be posed with dem, or just having them on their belts.  What is your perspective on Stick Bombs?

My Nob for the unit is going to have a Power Klaw.  Prepping the Nob was a bit painful as I had to carve off the details so I could cover him with green Stuff.  It just didn't sit well with me as I did it, but I need to look at what he will become.

I'm thinking my heavy weapon boy will have a rocket Launcha (I'm building it now), but I'm also thinking using magnets to be able to swap it with a big shoota (modeling overkill?).  At any rate it is coming together.

So as I'm building the next 6 boyz, I decided I wanted one moving over a rubble pile.  I really liked the look so now I'm contemplating making a few this way.  I didn't want the whole unit on top of rubble (it's to much in my opinion), but I wanted to catch that urban feeling.  I figure if a few are on top of rubble it would make for a nice inconsistency and capture of urban feeling I'm wanting.  Also on that note my nob will be on rubble to gain some height.  The problem with my conversions is by repositioning the orc boyz bodies (so they are taller) they end up being about the same height as the new Nobs.  The Nob is a bit thicker limbed, but still he tends to get a bit lost in the mob.  With the Power Klaw he stands out a little better, but all the same I think being up on a pile of rubble will make him stand out better.  Although I worry about the line of sight rule.  Is it worth it? 

Here is a boy prepped to start building the green stuff.  It is the one on rubble.  I'm thinking 3 boyz and the Nob on rubble.  That would make 1/3 on rubble piles.  Not 100% but that is the way I'm leaning.

Here is another boy with arms in place.  I still need to put the targeter on the shoota, but I wanted you to see the feeling of opening up the model so you can see his web gear.  I'm also thinking some of the models I've done, the blouse of the BDU shirt needs some beefing up.  It looks a bit weedy and kind of looses the effect.  I'll need to play with it.  I worry once I get to painting they may look funny.  I'm back and forth in my brain in regards to color scheme.  I was thinking a dark grey (navy look) but the more I think about it I don't want their color scheme to get lost in the rubble.  So I keep going back to my original idea of flecktarn camo.  The problem with camo is it is easy to over do.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhh we have some time before I really need to worry about it, I just can't help but to think about it.  You know the drill I'm sure............

Here is Doc.  The head just felt right.  I'm working on a medic bag on his back.  What respecting Blood Axe would field a unit with out a medic and coms?

So there coming together.  Slowly but surely............. .....  Thanks!

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 12:53:49 AM »
Wow, your modeling skills continue to amaze me - I just have to say it.

Colour scheme wise, I think it would be more of a Blood Axe thing to go with the camo, it would probably suit the gear better too, rather than the navy scheme (IMO).

You should be right simply making a rokkit boy and swapping him with a big shoota model later on if you feel the need to.

Stikk bombs are rather impractical, considering ork initative values (I would never really use them, at least). However, I do think it would look cool to include them on some models like you have said.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 01:04:10 AM »
Stikk bombs are rather impractical, considering ork initative values (I would never really use them, at least). However, I do think it would look cool to include them on some models like you have said.

Not entirely true - they make sense in a few situations:
1) Mobs you intend to launch at Terminators
2) Mobs you intend to launch at anything with a low initiative value
3) Mobs you want to kill small units with, when said units include a single powerfist

Of course, all three of these situations involve units in cover that are not already engaged in close combat from a previous turn. I find it's much better to just throw stikkbomm chukkas on a vehicle you intend to use [assuming you'll be using one], and then put the squad that needs the stikkbomms in said vehicle.

From the rule of cool though, if you wish to include the stikkbomms for appearance only, just make it clear to your opponent that none of the models actually have stikkbomms they've purchased. These are simply looted imperial grenades which your Orks just don't know how to operate.

Offline gun_wun

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
I was driving by a Naval base I seen some dark grey trucks and it just looked cool.  For a few weeks it got me thinking grey for da boyz.  I think in the end they will end up camo as I want a nice contrast from the bases. 

Yes going to build a big shoota also.  Want to play with being able to swap between Rocket Launcha an Big Shoota.  Plus as some one said you only get better by doing.  I figure if I build the arm and hand holding a universal trigger housing, then the top portion flat with a magnet, then I can switch out as Da Boss decides.

Yes, they will be deployed in a Truck.  Actually a new truck is going to be my reward for finishing this unit.  My old trucks have been demoted to buggies!

Now you've been demoted from troop transport, to supply runner............. ...

Although a Scorcha is still a Scrocha!

Ya, I'll put some stick bombs on Da Boyz for effect, but will not put any in their hands.  I think it will look good for the modeling effect.  Thanks for the advice!

Offline reallifejon

• Ork Boy
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 05:24:32 PM »
Another fantastic update!   I'm loving your camo mob conversions.

Regarding your questions:

Stikk bombs: this is one area where 'what you see is what you get' is very flexible.   I agree with Gutstikk; if they look good, model them on.

Height of your nob: As I've said before, on a mob this good looking, your priority should be what looks good, rather than what gives you a really miniscule rules advantage.   I actually really can't think that a few extra milimeters in height are going to hurt your ability to hide behind cover.   I think you should definitely go with making your nob as big and tall as he needs to be to look the part.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »
I love your modeling, great work.

I must add my 12 boys worth here, I have a unit of 12 shootas in a truck w/ red paint and grot, that I callmy DriveBy boys.  It is a fun unit to play with as  you drive next to a unit and shoot it.

75% of the time you kill enough to make them take an LD test. (the other 25% are dismal failures) and this is fun.

Just plain shoota boys (do not waste points on grenades as almost everything goes first anyway) in a truck.

The DriveBy boys in a recent game against csm took out a unit of demons in two turns.  The demons materialized and took out the remnents of a slugga squad and were left standing in the open.  The DriveBy boys drove up and shot them up killing 6 (darn good shooting for orks, and demons have a crap save) the demons assaulted the truck but did not disable it. The DriveBy boys moved a little and got out of the truck, shot them again killing 3 more, then assaulted the remaining 6 demons losing 3 boys and then wiping out the demons and consolidating back towards their truck.  (sorry but had to brag :D )

So I highly recomend shoota boys in a truck, they are not there for frontal assault, they are there to harrass and pick off weaker units, as well as being a distraction to your opponent.

OH, BTW, nice modeling (this forum needs a drooling smiley)

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak