News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k space marines need advice  (Read 420 times)

Offline tomsev

• space marines lead the way... all the way!
2k space marines need advice
« on: September 3, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Hq:
Librarian: 190
•   Epistolary
•   Terminator armour
•   Storm shield
•   Smite, null zone
Kantor or Captain: 175 or 145
•   Relic blade
•   Hellfire rounds
•   Meltabombs
Elite:
Terminator assault squad: 450
•   3 th/ss, 2 twin lightning claws
•   Land raider redeemer multi melta
Sternguard: 355
•   5 extra men
•   5 combi weapons (3 plasma, 2 melta)
•   2 plasma cannons
•   Sergeant with combi melta and lightning claw
•   Drop pod
Troop:
Tactical squad: 225
•   5 extra men
•   Meltagun
•   Multi melta
•   Sergeant with storm bolter
•   Rhino
Tactical squad: 230
•   5 extra men
•   Flamer
•   Lascannon
•   Sergeant with power sword
•   Razorback with heavy bolter
Fast attack:
Land speeder: 70
•   Multi melta
•   Heavy flamer
Land speeder: 70
•   Multi melta
•   Heavy flamer
Heavy support:
Predator: 120
•   Sponson lascannons
Predator: 120
Sponson lascannons

Total: 2005

thats the total counting kantor not the captain with the captain i have 30 points to spend where should i put them

so what im planning to do is libby rides with termies in land raider kantor or captain in the pod with sternguard.

melta tac squad does rhino drive bys combat squad but i dont quite know how.

second tac squad combat squads leaving the lascannon at home and gun up field.

land speeders popping enemy guns early then if they survive long enough pop infantry.

predators shoot up any thing they see...

so what do you guys think is there some tweaking needed????

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 2k space marines need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2011, 03:50:12 AM »
I would drop some sternguard you usually don't need that many. Usually somewhere between 5 and 7 seems to be the optimum number. I would also stick more towards combi's and a heavy flamer. One of the only units that can take these and it makes them allot more versatile if you come up against a horde opponent. The next suggestion would be to equip the sergeant with a PF instead of LC. An LC is great for smaller stuff but if you run up against something big and nasty like a Demon Prince, Ctan, insert half the Nid codex here having that str 8 PF in CC is a real life saver.

This is how I would run the sternguard squad

Sternguard Squad - 275 pts
6 Sternguard 2x Combi-Melta, 3x Combi-Plasma (great for monster/terminator killing), 1x Heavy Flamer
1 Sternguard Sergeant Combi-melta and a Powefist

(this saves you 80 pts)

The next suggestion is I would switch your strategy about your HQ's. I would put Kantor in with the termies and put the Libby in with the Stern's. Why? The one problem with drop podding sterns is there brittle nature. They tend to get assaulted by things that can kill them rather quickly (terminators, berzerkers, etc). One way to counter that is with a Librarian who can give them a 5+ invuln. He also adds a force weapon to the squad and adds even more CC punch. Pedro on the other hand adds the extra attack to everything within 12" and if your running assault terminators those are the guys you want to have the extra attack. All power weapons....trust me these guys will make better use of that extra attack.

This also means I would drop the Terminator armor off of the Libby and run him in Power armor so he can fit in the Drop pod. Again saves you a few points. I would also go Force Dome and Null Zone. Give yourself that invuln and make your opponent reroll his succesfull invuln's. Smite would really be unnecessary as the sternguard have plenty of armor popping power. 

(this saves you 40 pts)

This way your sternguard should be landing at or around the same time your Land Raider is closing with the enemy. You can drop pod near the best target of opportunity pop there armor and then let your termies sweep in and wipe them out. If your still a turn out well your libby has force dome to help keep your sternguard upright for a turn and they become a decent damage spunge.

The next suggestion I would switch your MM out of your tac squad for a Missile Launcher. Gives you more versatility and more options for combat squading. You have lots of speeder mounted MM's and a MM on the Redeemer the MM is a heavy and really doesn't make a good showing in Rhino transported Tac squads (runs a bit better if your drop podding your tac squads to run the MM). Since it's a heavy your Rhino has to be stationary the whole turn thus defeating the point of being able to do a drive by. If you save enough point's by removing a few sternguard I would add a Combi melta instead a storm bolter to your sergeant in that tac squad. Will up the effectiveness of your drive by's.

The other squad looks good but again if you have 10 or so points left over after getting rid of a few sternguard and there heavy weapons I would add a PF instead of a PW. Same reason as I stated for the sternguard squad. If they get locked into CC those PF's really help.

Really I'm just suggesting a few minor tweaks to your list. You have what looks to be a good competitive list here.

Offline tomsev

• space marines lead the way... all the way!
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2011, 09:56:29 AM »
ok thanks for that i might drop down the sternguard squad and use the 80pts to get another speeder maybe an assault cannon heavy flamer or multi melta. i really like the speeders and have been wanting to put a 3rd one on the list. You might of found the way how i can...
thanks for all the remarks, but i thought heavy weapons could shoot out of rhinos as they would use the hatch and as its the rhino moving they're not running. I was convinced that i could but if you say i cant ill have to find some way of fixing that...

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 4, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »
No heavy weapons can't shoot if there transport moves at all. The only thing that allows vehicles to do so is the "vehicle" may fire one weapon after moving at combat speed. Since the rules specifically state it's the vehicle that leaves the squad out in the cold.

The best way to work those drive by melta's in is a combi melta and a melta gun. Since they both count as assault the vehicle can move 6" while remaining in the vehicle. If you really want to get more range out of your melta guns you disembark after moving 12". You can disembark within 2" of the hull so by the time you get done moving the Rhino 12" pivoting so a side door faces your target, disembark for an additional 2" your normally 12" range melta gun has had 14" added onto its range.  This little fact is why I have never been a fan of Rhino tac squaded MM's they only have a downside when your effective range on your assault meltagun is 36".

I'd take those 40 pts from the libby and really think about those PF's. I have never seen anyone ever regret having one in a squad.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2011, 02:55:17 PM by Azash76 »