News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First foray into 40k since 4th  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
First foray into 40k since 4th
« on: July 29, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »
First foray into 40k since 4th
With a new edition and a local 40k group I decided to dig out my old Eldar, mostly bought in 2nd and 3rd Edition though I played briefly in 4th. My force was all-infantry, as I moved countries since I last played and - not playing at the time - I speculatively brought a carry case of my infantry but didn't go to the trouble of transporting vehicles. I've now picked up the Eldar starter kit to supplement them and took my first foray into battle.

It did not go well. This is the 1,000 pt list I had:

HQ

Farseer Skyrunner: Singing spear

ELITES

6 Fire Dragons: Exarch with Dragon's breath flamer (my firepike Exarch, though my favourite model, appears not to be among the models I brought from the UK)

5 Striking Scorpions: Exarch with Scorpion's Claw

TROOPS

10 Guardian Defenders: Eldar missile launcher

FAST ATTACK

3 Windriders: 3 x shuriken cannon

HEAVY SUPPORT

5 Dark Reapers: Exarch with Eldar missile launcher

Fire Prism: Shuriken cannon, spirit stones

I was unimpressed by Guardians but didn't use them all that well - still, a multiplayer battle a couple of weeks ago with just my infantry gave me the sense that Dire Avengers are pretty good, and I have plenty available. I'm not liking the EML as much as I used to, but it still seems to outclass most of the other available options except the shuriken cannon.

Scorpions really impressed me the previous week, taking out a Tac squad in a single turn even without getting any mandiblaster wounds. But a 5 model squad seems too small and they were hampered by having their infiltration weakened by the narrative mission's reserve rules. I think they needed to be something else, but I'm not sure what.

Fire Dragons remain as good as ever but need transports and it seems are unlikely to survive their attack even then. I use 6-man squads because I used to carry them in Falcons back in the day (partly because I was mostly playing before the Wave Serpent had a kit).

I made too little use of the bikers, but just based on stats I wonder what they offer over Warp Spiders, which are cheaper with more or less the same statline per model (a third fewer shots but a sixth greater chance to hit). I'd quite like Shining Spears, which look to be fairly good now, but the models have yet to be updated with the new bikes (indeed the Exarch still has a brightlance option, a weapon that isn't in the current army list).

I think I was misled by the Reapers now having an AT mode in bringing them to a fight I expected to feature quite a few vehicles - they didn't do a whole lot most of the time and, indeed, rarely had infantry targets thanks to most infantry being embarked until the Reapers had been fought off. Plus my missile-heavy force proved horribly inconsistent thanks to the new blast rules.

I realised early that my sole vehicle is bad, having roughly the fire output of a Dreadnought and the consistency of a Skaven Doomwheel. This seems a more general issue with AT weaponry, as it maxes out at D6 damage for the most part and every vehicle has more than 6 wounds. This seems a particular blow to the Eldar given that most of their tanks have a single primary weapon system. I wonder if the Falcon, having two, would be better - though I want to minimise overlap with my UK collection and have two Falcons in that (I also have several Wave Serpents, so am reluctant to pick up more of those).

Problem is, I'm not sure what vehicles the Eldar should be using - other than Wave Serpents, which have the above issue. I prefer tanks to walkers in general, but none of the stock tanks seems good. Wraithknights presently seem good only with the scattershield and suncannon, which is a shame as I prefer the model with the dual wraithcannon configuration - it's disappointing the Scorpion or Cobra aren't available outside Forge World. War Walkers seem as though they may now be strong given the free targeting rules in 8th, and I'm not sure I see a situation where they're worse than Vypers in basically the same role. The fliers look attractive. On paper the Hemlock appears pretty much strictly superior to the Crimson Hunter, but I'm now wary of high-variance units that have so many D3s and D6s in their stats - what's the general opinion about these?

Overall, my army performed capably against a Chaos Marine force. I just lost, but had the game gone to turn 5 (allowing me another likely unit kill), had I been slightly luckier with my multiple bad rolls, had I deployed the bikes rather than holding them in reserve, or had I made more effective use of the Guardians and Scorpions, I'd have had good odds of winning.

I then came up against Ad Mech and packed up. Games like the one vs. Chaos, where I can identify areas to play differently to get a better outcome, are one thing. Games with units like a robot trio that read "This unit invalidates your entire army" I have no interest in. Granted bad luck was still with me - my Reaper squad scored a single hit on the robots and that failed to wound - and I was in a bad position as an infantry force as the attacker on half of the map with little meaningful cover, but there's only so often I'm going to take facing a unit that wipes out entire units every time it fires.

In general, how does this force look and what recommendations do people have for expanding it? My available infantry force gives me the option to field an additional Farseer, up to two Dire Avenger squads, a starcannon as a replacement for the Guardian EML, a second (Exarch-less) 6-man Fire Dragon squad, and 10 Warp Spiders with a single Exarch.

Wraithguard have been recommended and seem a good option, but like Dragons are also likely to want transport that I don't presently have available. One or more fliers seem appealing, and I'm wondering about the merits of a War Walker or Vyper squadron. As far as tanks go, the Fire Prism hasn't impressed and the Night Spinner seems roughly as consistent with probably slightly lower damage on average against most targets. The Warp Hunter seems better than both, but I don't know how high the chances are that that will receive a model with the next Eldar codex and therefore whether it's worth picking one up from Forge World.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: First foray into 40k since 4th
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:07:17 AM »
Welcome to 40K Online :).  I hope that you enjoy being a part of this community and you've already made a very positive contribution by joining in a number of discussions.

Funnily enough, the very first Eldar model I was given was the Rogue Trader Fire Dragon Exarch equipped with the Firepike and, along with the original Rogue Trader Farseer model, remains my favourite Eldar model of all time.

Looking at your list, I think that its main issue is that it's trying to do a little bit of everything and is going to struggle as a result.  Eldar armies work better, in my experience, when you focus more on one or two areas.  Also, unlike in second edition, it has become increasingly more difficult to get Eldar infantry armies to work, especially without using durable units, such as the Avatar, Wraithguard and, up until this edition at least, Wraithlords.

For this army, I think that you need to get some transports.  Wave Serpents are solid in eighth edition and two of them would enable you to get those Fire Dragons and Guardians off the ground (the Striking Scorpions have other deployment options so do not have to be transported, although they could be if desired).  Having a more mobile army would also fit with the Jetbikes or the Warp Spiders, if you decide to opt for this unit instead.

The Fire Prism hasn't impressed me that much for many editions.  I've always thought that it's rather hit and miss.  I prefer more reliability for my fire support.  What to take, however, depends on whether you want to field a mechanised list or a mixed list.

Before taking any decisions though, I would recommend waiting for the Eldar codex to come out.  There will probably be changes compared to the index which could influence your decisions and purchases, so I'd advise playing the patience game for a bit.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
Thanks for the input.

Regarding focus, which areas seem best to focus on? Aside from the Scorpions - which simply seem too good to ignore from my past experience - I'm focusing very much at range, but have been punished because these days it seems the Eldar are not in the top tier of ranged fire output, hence simply losing straight-up in a very one-sided battle against the Adeptus Mechanicus. I'm also not sure what favoured compositions are in my area though they seem to be more vehicle-heavy than not. In general my units and weapon options are intended to be good against both vehicles and infantry, and against a variety of armies - hence all the EMLs and the Scorpions (not that I'm clear what Banshees are best at these days now that power weapons have been nerfed).

The Fire Prism came with the starter kit I decided to use to bulk out my army (since I got the Index book with it). I've never much liked the vehicle myself - even back in 3rd I preferred the Falcon. I was hopeful it would be better in the current context, as the mid-way D3 shots mode hypothetically offers more consistently than a single shot, and it has 3+ to hit these days. This was also an army built to the spirit of week 1 of the global campaign, hence the use of starter kit units I'd likely otherwise eschew - specifically, mounting the Farseer (not that it wasn't useful, but the premium for extra movement and four shuricat shots seems high) and using the Windriders.

I know the absence of transports is an issue. I'm still somewhat reluctant to invest in WSes since I have several in the UK I may be able to pick up at some stage, but in any case the choice has been taken from me: the vehicle's no longer available from GW (while it's described as 'temporarily unavailable', I have a sense that like much of the Eldar range it may be replaced with the new Codex and so they may not make any more until that releases). Consequently it sells for a highly inflated price through Amazon's vendors. The Falcon may be sufficient as the unit that most needs transport is the Fire Dragons, but that's a lot more expensive in points than the Fire Prism right now. The FP's not good, but it's also the cheapest Eldar tank except the Night Spinner, which doesn't have the same role.

I'm leaning towards the Warp Hunter, but there's a non-negligible chance that gets a plastic kit in the near future so again I'll wait on the Codex for that.

I do plan on waiting for the Codex for most major changes, but Wraithguard come up as a recommendation so frequently that it seems likely they'll be a reasonably save investment - they however will essentially demand a Wave Serpent. I'm also partial to the fliers both as models and for their current effects - the Hemlock specifically.

Finally, I haven't seen any discussion here of superheavies, though a number of other FW units are recommended. Due to the models, flavour reasons, and simply the higher fire output I'm tempted by Engines of Vaul, and given that they're FW models the premium compared with the GW Wraithknight isn't that high. Are either of these good options (I don't know how likely FW is to change the rules with the Codex)? I've always preferred the Cobra model, but it's always seemed a truism that the Scorpion is better, and having two guns rather than one seems to make it likely to remain the case even following rules changes. Also, as bizarre as it seems, there appears to be no rule in 40k requiring twin-linked weapons to fire at the same target unless they're treated as a single weapon system, as the Wave Serpent's are. I'm not sure the Scorpion pulsars are treated as one weapon system.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:02:47 PM by Rhyleth »

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »
@Rhyleth
Greetings, and welcome :)

1. Flyers.

Hemlock is arguably the best unit in the current CWE index. For its points it is fairly durable, versatile (being a psyker in addition to being a gunship) and has some very respectable damage output, especially with Smite (which I find myself doing most of the time lately). Coupled with the fact that it effectively (almost) doesn't degrade with damage, it makes its performance outstanding.
Crimson Hunter is a firm average performer in my experience. Not outstanding but fair. Works best when there are other more dangerous/valuable units present on the field to distract the enemy fire from it.

2. Vehicles.

As Irisado mentioned, Serpents are good. But they are good specifically as transports - for keeping their passengers safe and mobile till they are committed to attack - and not as gunships.
Other vehicles are decisively lacklustre at best. Warp Hunter also seems way too expensive for what it does.

I have a sense that like much of the Eldar range it may be replaced with the new Codex and so they may not make any more until that releases).
I most certainly wouldn't count on that. At least Wave Serpent IMO is not going to be re-released with like 99% guarantee. And people are hoping for plastic Aspect Warriors for as long as I'm collecting Eldar (which is over 15 years), but they never come. And not a single FW-designed unit for the Eldar has become part of the standard GW range so far. I really doubt that just now is the time for all those things to miraculously happen.  :D
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
@Rhyleth
Greetings, and welcome :)

1. Flyers.

Hemlock is arguably the best unit in the current CWE index. For its points it is fairly durable, versatile (being a psyker in addition to being a gunship) and has some very respectable damage output, especially with Smite (which I find myself doing most of the time lately). Coupled with the fact that it effectively (almost) doesn't degrade with damage, it makes its performance outstanding.
Crimson Hunter is a firm average performer in my experience. Not outstanding but fair. Works best when there are other more dangerous/valuable units present on the field to distract the enemy fire from it.

Flavourfully I prefer Aspects to Wraiththings, so it is a shame the Crimson Hunter's so poor, but that was certainly my impression from the rules. Also I like the Battle powers even though I'm most likely to use Smite most of the time, so acting as a Warlock is a plus. I've bitten the bullet and ordered a fighter and a Wraithguard unit, as those are what I'm most likely to use no matter what and I don't presently have the models. I debated a 10-strong WG unit, but most people seem to run them as 5s in transports.

I have a sense that like much of the Eldar range it may be replaced with the new Codex and so they may not make any more until that releases).
I most certainly wouldn't count on that. At least Wave Serpent IMO is not going to be re-released with like 99% guarantee. And people are hoping for plastic Aspect Warriors for as long as I'm collecting Eldar (which is over 15 years), but they never come. And not a single FW-designed unit for the Eldar has become part of the standard GW range so far. I really doubt that just now is the time for all those things to miraculously happen.  :D

I doubt the Amazon prices would be so high if had been available from GW in the recent past, and the entire GW range has gone to 'Webstore Exclusive' except for Guardians, Dire Avengers, the Fire Prism/Night Spinner (which is admittedly an odd omission - while the kit has a newer sprue than the Falcon and Serpent, the base Falcon is the same model), and the models released from 4th Ed. onwards. If it were just a repackaging issue to add superfluous letters to the beginning and end of the world Eldar (I have it on good authority that the 'A' and the 'i' are silent) I'd expect those to have been withdrawn as well.

The Eldar range probably has the largest proportion of surviving 2nd Ed. models - Eldrad, the Phoenix Lords, the Avatar, Warp Spiders, the Vyper and the Falcon, as well as the base jetbikes of the Shining Spears, and likely the largest number of now-resin units. The remaining infantry is all from 3rd Ed., save the Wraithguard.

While they may not fully plasticise the Aspects, I suspect some of them will be revised; I'm not sure why they missed the chance to make the jetbike set a modular Windrider/Shining Spear set. The Warp Spiders are desperately out of date - much bulkier than any of the more recent Aspect infantry, five Aspects have been saddled with weapon options that don't exist on the models since 3rd Edition (Swooping Hawk sunrifle, Warp Spider spinneret rifle, Striking Scorpion chainsabres, Dark Reaper EML and shuriken cannon, and Howling Banshee triskele), and the Shining Spears have a weapon option that's no longer supported (brightlance Exarch - though possibly that's now just treated as a starlance since there was no separate starlance component). Even the Fire Dragons, which have fully supported Exarch options, appear to be packaged without the dragon's breath flamer Exarch, a model which may not have survived the transition from metal.

Also, GW has moved more heavily towards plastic since the Eldar were last updated, and they don't have that many models they can put out to support these 10 new Codices. Evidently not every one will receive model support, but aside from isolated characters here and there nearly every other army has recent models - multiple entire armies are more recent than nearly the whole of the Eldar range. To some extent this can be seen as a testament to how well they've lasted, but stylistic changes have badly dated some of the models, weapons are almost universally oversized relative to modern GW norms, and the Phoenix Lord models are outright embarrassing (Karandras was widely panned at the time, but none of them have stood the test of time well. Fuegan and Baharroth perhaps better than the others, in part because the redesign of those units in 3rd Ed. didn't change the aesthetic as drastically as some of the others)

While FW-originated units don't often make the crossover to GW (have any other than the Tau Piranha, for any army?), the Warp Hunter isn't any more an FW unit than the Night Spinner, the Wave Serpent or the superheavy grav-tanks - it's an Epic unit, and GW made the Night Spinner kit after Forge World already had one (they also did with the Wave Serpent, but that unit had at least been in official GW rules before the Forge World model came out).

If they don't make the Hornet, they may at least make a new unit that fills the same role, as they did when they made the Hemlock instead of any of the FW fliers (though all except the 'Vampire Hunter' and the Lynx were pre-existing units), as players appear to be demonstrating that it's a role the army needs.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:52:39 PM by Rhyleth »

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:57:44 AM »
Flavourfully I prefer Aspects to Wraiththings
Same :)

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a fighter and a Wraithguard unit
Feels like a good choice. I'd also still consider getting more Dark Reapers, at least to get 2x3 or 2x4, or even 3x3 with exarchs (and use those exarchs with standard reaper launchers! :))

I doubt the Amazon prices would be so high if had been available from GW in the recent past
I wouldn't jump to conclusions here. Serpent has become the best skimmer in the current Eldar range with the release of the current Index, so demand can be high. And, most importantly - I just visited the GW online store, and WS is perfectly available for ordering there. So the shortage you're seeing might indeed be a temporary thing specific to the US.

the entire GW range has gone to 'Webstore Exclusive' except for Guardians, Dire Avengers, the Fire Prism/Night Spinner (which is admittedly an odd omission - while the kit has a newer sprue than the Falcon and Serpent, the base Falcon is the same model), and the models released from 4th Ed. onwards. If it were just a repackaging issue to add superfluous letters to the beginning and end of the world Eldar (I have it on good authority that the 'A' and the 'i' are silent) I'd expect those to have been withdrawn as well.

Models going to "webstore exclusive" usually has nothing to do with their re-release, at least not to my experience.

While FW-originated units don't often make the crossover to GW (have any other than the Tau Piranha, for any army?),
There's also Tau Sky Ray, but not any others. Night Spinner might indeed qualify as one though.

If they don't make the Hornet, they may at least make a new unit that fills the same role, as they did when they made the Hemlock instead of any of the FW fliers (though all except the 'Vampire Hunter' and the Lynx were pre-existing units), as players appear to be demonstrating that it's a role the army needs.

Well, Hornet doesn't really have a "role". It has become popular for the sole reason of being dramatically underpriced for its combination of speed, durability and damage output - particularly the latter, that has been outstanding when a Hornet could take a pair of proper Pulse lasers for ridiculously low point cost. Now it has lost that option, and most Eldar players I know have decisively removed Hornets from their lists.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »
Flavourfully I prefer Aspects to Wraiththings
Same :)

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a fighter and a Wraithguard unit
Feels like a good choice. I'd also still consider getting more Dark Reapers, at least to get 2x3 or 2x4, or even 3x3 with exarchs (and use those exarchs with standard reaper launchers! :))

I'm really hoping the Reapers at least get a new kit soon - the models were rightly panned on release back in 3rd. Their poses are static enough and their armour generic enough aside from the helmets that they could conceivably be part of a Dark Reaper / Warp Spider plastic set, dealing with the two non-Spear Aspects that most need updated models. I have some RT Reapers back in the UK, but those too remain out of reach for now.

Odd thing about the Exarch loadout - with an EML he's functionally all but identical (only the damage on the AT mode differs), but the EML is 6pts cheaper.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »
Their poses are static enough and their armour generic enough aside from the helmets that they could conceivably be part of a Dark Reaper / Warp Spider plastic set, dealing with the two non-Spear Aspects that most need updated models. I have some RT Reapers back in the UK, but those too remain out of reach for now.

With all due respect, I don't think you recognise the models correctly. Reapers, Dragons, Banshees and Scorpions were all updated and re-released in 4th edition, simultaneously with plastic Dire Avengers. All of those are great models and really don't look like they need updates. In fact, the only two really outdated aspects are Spears and Spiders.

Besides, armour of the current Reapers is anything but generic. It has distinctly different lower-leg plates and boots, distinctly different tabard and breastplate featuring rib-like decoration on one half, which is also nothing like anything other aspects get.

Odd thing about the Exarch loadout - with an EML he's functionally all but identical (only the damage on the AT mode differs), but the EML is 6pts cheaper.
It is not odd. Starswarm profile of a reaper launcher is also fantastic (arguably even more so than AT Starshot profile), and EML doesn't have it.

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
Their poses are static enough and their armour generic enough aside from the helmets that they could conceivably be part of a Dark Reaper / Warp Spider plastic set, dealing with the two non-Spear Aspects that most need updated models. I have some RT Reapers back in the UK, but those too remain out of reach for now.

With all due respect, I don't think you recognise the models correctly. Reapers, Dragons, Banshees and Scorpions were all updated and re-released in 4th edition, simultaneously with plastic Dire Avengers. All of those are great models and really don't look like they need updates. In fact, the only two really outdated aspects are Spears and Spiders.

I'm familiar with the models, I obviously just got the timing of the release wrong if they're 4th rather than 3rd edition models. Either I played longer in 4th than I recall or I picked up many of these models after I'd largely stopped playing.

The revised Aspects are far from universally fine. The Scorpions and Reapers were both soundly criticised at the time and rightly so; the Scorpions suffered from GW's genius at making sure their paintschemes and camera angles showed off their models to the worst possible effect, and I quite like the figures, but they're overall a step down from the RT models and are saddled with poor proportions - they and the Banshees also suffer from having ludicrously oversized pistols even by GW standards. Not much can be done about the Banshees - the general style simply isn't that good and GW's always been terrible with its 'crazy hair' modelling. The 4th Ed. ones are about as good as they'll ever be within those constraints - but the Scorpions should be salvageable.

The Reapers again are a big step down from their predecessors, and again have weird proportions (they're remarkably slender with tiny heads and their reaper launchers are smaller than the average shuriken catapult). I admit I hadn't paid enough attention to the figures I have to notice significant detailing on the armour, but the comedy skull masks look as though they ought to be painted orange and passed off as pumpkins. The Death Jester looks closer to what the Reapers ought to be.

I think the only Aspects whose latest models improve on the originals are the Dragons (which were already the best-looking Aspect) and the Hawks (but then, improving on 'generic las-Guardian with wings' wasn't too hard a task), but I consider only the Reapers to be actively bad.

EDIT: Seems the Reapers have been revised again since the pumpkinhead versions I have, and I don't have those models to see if they've fixed the proportion issues. Though the skulls still look terrible.

In general I've never liked the idea of multi-Aspect plastic kits (there was at one point a hope that there would be a single generic plastic Aspect Warrior kit) as it would lose a lot of the models' character - most have some idiosyncracies in armour design and sufficiently different weapon types that they'd be difficult to model in a 'one-pose-fits-all' design. Spiders and Reapers still seem the easiest to treat that way as a different tabard or a jump generator could readily be different components associated with the same bodies.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:50:12 PM by Rhyleth »