News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A few general and a few CSM rules questions  (Read 1013 times)

Offline greenlectern

• What's the point of rhetorical questions?
A few general and a few CSM rules questions
« on: April 5, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »
Hello all, I have a few 40k rules questions; some general, some Chaos Space Marine related that I would be grateful to get answers to. Sorry if the answers to these are so obvious it hurts, but I have looked.

1. In the 40k rulebook FAQ, it states that different subtypes of Witchfire powers can't be fired from transport's fire points. However, on p80 of the rulebook, it talks about how when Beam psychic powers are fired from fire points, ignore the hit scored on the vehicle. Do we have to go with the FAQ on this one, because it appears not to have been the intention of the rulebook's authors?

2. In the rulebook it states that passengers firing from a vehicle moving at cruising speed can only fire snap shots. Does this apply to psykers too? Presumably then they also can't fire if the vehicle goes flat out?

3. Am I right in thinking that if a transport has two fire points, then in the Psychic Phase a psyker can fire from one of these and then in the subsequent shooting phase two models can fire? I.e. there is no restriction in the Shooting Phase caused by a psyker casting powers in the Psychic Phase?

4. The Thousand Sons formation, War Coven, allows you to choose a psychic discipline from the rulebook and cast powers from that on a 3+. Amongst these are some that Chaos Sorcerers have no access to (though Exalted Sorcerers do), like Divination. Presumably this formation doesn't allow Sorcerers/Daemon Princess to access these?

5. I just want to confirm because I've never seen this mentioned anywhere: Thousand Sons have lots of their own faction-specific formations, but there is nothing to stop them taking a Chaos Warband formation is there?

6. On a similar note, am I able to use Tzaangors (the unit, not any Thousand Sons formations for them) in legions that allow you to take units with the Mark of Tzeentch, like Black Legion?

7. Would they also be able to use the new Blue Horrors, or are they just for players who field an army or allies from the Wrath of Magnus book?

8. Not so much a rules question, as one about etiquette. If I take the Chaos Warband formation (Thousand Sons faction) and then a Daemon Prince and a Decimator separately, is that generally frowned upon because i would be fielding two units who are not in formations or on a FOC?

Thanks!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: A few general and a few CSM rules questions
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »
To answer quickly:

1) You should probably follow the FAQ, though I don't remember the point in question.

2) Yes and yes.

3) Correct.

4) Also correct.

5) You can make a Ksons warband, yes.

6) I'm pretty sure you can, yes.

7) Nope. Allies only--they're a different faction.

8) If you do that, you wind up with an Unbound army and lose all formation bonuses. I don't recommend it.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
1) from the official FAQ

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Errata/Warhammer_40000/Warhammer_40000_Rules_EN.pdf

Q: Can you cast blessings, maledictions and nova powers from Open-topped vehicles?

A: Transported units can only use witchfire powers – and may not use beam, focussed witchfire or nova powers.

6) Yes

7) The rules in Wrath of Magnus replace any existing warscrolls found in Codex:Chaos Daemons. Blue Horrors and Brimstone Horrors are new additions to codex Chaos Daemons. If you take a combined arms, or allied detachment from the Daemons Codex, you can take Blue and Brimstone Horrors. You'll need access to Wrath of Magnus, for the rules for the models however.

8 )

If you do that, you wind up with an Unbound army and lose all formation bonuses. I don't recommend it.

Actually, formations retain their command benefits in an unbound army. The only downside, is that the two models outside the formation will not have any command benefits.

Keep in mind, most organized play bans the use of unbound armies. So, just check with where you're playing to see if it's allowed. If it's just for friendly games, then it doesn't really matter. With formations, most battleforged armies are basically unbound as it is, I don't see unbound as being a terrible thing anymore.

« Last Edit: April 5, 2017, 08:22:54 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
Actually, formations retain their command benefits in an unbound army. The only downside, is that the two models outside the formation will not have any command benefits.

Wait a second...what?! I could have sworn a battle forged army needed everything to be in some kind of detachment or formation otherwise it *all* becomes Unbound.

If you're right, that's officially the stupidest thing ever. It defeats the entire (ostensibly minor) disadvantage of an all-battle-forged Force.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2017, 10:22:55 PM »
Read the textbox on formations. They retain their special rules in an unbound army. Unbound and battleforged these days are basically indistinguishable.

I agree, bonkers.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline greenlectern

• What's the point of rhetorical questions?
« Reply #5 on: April 8, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »
The FAQ ruling on Beams is incredibly annoying, especially as it seems like a case of its authors not reading the rulebook.

I agree - the rule about formations being allowed in an unbound army is ridiculous. I'll have to exploit it.

Thanks a lot for your help!