News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k DoA list for NOVA  (Read 836 times)

Offline Eidolon

2k DoA list for NOVA
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
I figured I would post up the 2k army I am taking with me to the nova open here in less than a week for your reading pleasure. I have had the army since December, but have only played about 15 games or so with it, and the vanguard are a totally new addition. So far it has performed well. Played a practice game against mech sisters, using nova format, barely lost on the third tiebreaker, and played a game against a friends 2500 ork  wagon army, winning on the 1st tiebreaker. Both games I lost 96% and 85% of the army respectively. Which is good, I like bloody and fast games.

Questions, comments, or criticism are all welcome

HEADQUARTERS
Dante-225

ELITES
Sanguinary priest-75
-Jump pack

Sanguinary priest-80
-Jump pack, melta bombs

TROOPS
Sanguinary guard-240
-3 infernus pistols, 1 fist,

Sanguinary guard-230
-2 infernus pistol, 1 power fist.

Sanguinary guard-230
-2 infernus pistol, 1 power fist.

10 assault marines-240
-Sergeant with thunder hammer, 2 melta guns

10 assault marines-240
-Sergeant with thunder hammer, 2 melta guns

FAST ATTACK
vanguard veterans-220
-2 storm shields, Sergeant with thunder hammer

vanguard veterans-220
-2 storm shields, Sergeant with thunder hammer

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
Re: 2k DoA list for NOVA
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »
Ooh, yer heading up to DC as well? Lets take a look. Nipplewing huh...do you really get that big of a difference performance-wise with Thunderhammers versus conventional Fists? That downgrade lets you equip Combi-Meltas to your Priests. Likewise, downgrading the Assault Sergeants to Power Weapons lets them get Infernus Pistols instead. You get an extra attack per sergeant and though you're losing on some Fists, you're picking up a second pair of "double-melta" in turn.

Other than that, it looks par for the course.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 11:46:36 PM »
I would equip the Vanguard with PWs instead of shields and hammers as they are an assault support unit. You have plenty of fists/hammers otherwise. I prefer this as those 5 dudes don't have much punch with the regular chainswords and the hammers have to swing last. Front loading their damage to support assault marines works best in my experience.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:02:40 AM »
I don't play blood angels myself, but I've used deep striking and I feel that replacing one unit of Vanguard Vets with a Jump Pack Honor Guard might be very useful. I'm thinking of three set ups.

1st set up: 205pts
4 meltaguns

2nd set up: 215pts
2 meltaguns, 2 plasma guns

3rd set up: 225pts (drop a single meltabomb from the priest and your good for this option)
4 plasma guns

Any of these options would give you a lot of tactical flexibility, especially with the fact that you can choose who Dante deep strikes with. He can either go with a Sanguinary Guard/Assault Marine unit, or he could, for example, go with 4 meltaguns.

I won't be trying this myself, but I could also imagine dropping Dante+3 Sanguinary Guard down to pop a rhino/raider etc. and then having the Honor Guard strike down and plasma the contents, possibly killing most or all of a squad. In my last tournament with chaos, I used personal icons with 4 combi-plasma terminators and they were very useful when they dropped. (I for example, didn't want to assault a Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf :) and shot at it a lot).

In your case, I think that 4 plasma guns will do incredibly well for when you don't want to assault someone, and don't have enough meltaguns to bring something down.

Most importantly though they also give you 3rd priest, which appears to be a nice thing to add to this kind of army.

Offline Eidolon

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 01:30:23 AM »
Ooh, yer heading up to DC as well? Lets take a look. Nipplewing huh...do you really get that big of a difference performance-wise with Thunderhammers versus conventional Fists? That downgrade lets you equip Combi-Meltas to your Priests. Likewise, downgrading the Assault Sergeants to Power Weapons lets them get Infernus Pistols instead. You get an extra attack per sergeant and though you're losing on some Fists, you're picking up a second pair of "double-melta" in turn.

Other than that, it looks par for the course.

I am a big fan of the hammers. While situational, being able to shake a tank in addition to anything else can often be crucial against transports. In addition, certain models like demon princes are very vulnerable to sanguard when dropped to I1. Finally, this army was not designed to be competitive, and I tried to try and start upgrading it about a week and a half ago when I decided to take it to nova. I am kind of stuck with wargear in many ways, simply due to my billions of hours the army will require to paint.

I would equip the Vanguard with PWs instead of shields and hammers as they are an assault support unit. You have plenty of fists/hammers otherwise. I prefer this as those 5 dudes don't have much punch with the regular chainswords and the hammers have to swing last. Front loading their damage to support assault marines works best in my experience.

The army has plenty of power weapons on the sanguard. What I need the vanguard to do is tie things down, either long enough for the sanguard and assault marines to handle other units.  Or in the case of big nasties,  to pin it in place, crack it in the face with that hammer, so its easy to clean up with I1. As they are the only unit in my army not troops or a character, they get suicidal missions that often involve tying down big nasty things. And the shields go a huge way towards helping them survive combat with say, a warboss or demon prince.

I don't play blood angels myself, but I've used deep striking and I feel that replacing one unit of Vanguard Vets with a Jump Pack Honor Guard might be very useful. I'm thinking of three set ups.

1st set up: 205pts
4 meltaguns

2nd set up: 215pts
2 meltaguns, 2 plasma guns

3rd set up: 225pts (drop a single meltabomb from the priest and your good for this option)
4 plasma guns

Any of these options would give you a lot of tactical flexibility, especially with the fact that you can choose who Dante deep strikes with. He can either go with a Sanguinary Guard/Assault Marine unit, or he could, for example, go with 4 meltaguns.

I won't be trying this myself, but I could also imagine dropping Dante+3 Sanguinary Guard down to pop a rhino/raider etc. and then having the Honor Guard strike down and plasma the contents, possibly killing most or all of a squad. In my last tournament with chaos, I used personal icons with 4 combi-plasma terminators and they were very useful when they dropped. (I for example, didn't want to assault a Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf :) and shot at it a lot).

In your case, I think that 4 plasma guns will do incredibly well for when you don't want to assault someone, and don't have enough meltaguns to bring something down.

Most importantly though they also give you 3rd priest, which appears to be a nice thing to add to this kind of army.

I used to run a 4 plasma gun honor guard squad, but I got rid of it. In many cases I think the vanguard with hammer and 2 shields can do the same. But furthermore, this goes back to how jumpers play. Before I included the vanguard I would drop in on turn 2, and then have to sit there for a turn getting shot at before I could start assaults. Vanguard let you begin the assaults right away, often tying down either critical combat units the enemy needed to charge you with, or tying up the bubble wrap and providing a kind of blockade.

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:49:15 AM »
im sorry if this sounds noob of me. but i have to ask, does your vanguard squad even get DoA? or are you just relying on the a decent scatter to charge something? because in the codex it says they dont have DoA.
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:31 AM »
All Blood Angels with Jump Packs get DoA by default. Even the Techmarines. :D

Anyway, good luck Eidolon. Given the assorted tweaks, it's going to be an interesting set of matches.