News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looking for General Advice - Infantry-Based Force  (Read 1303 times)

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
Looking for General Advice - Infantry-Based Force
« on: November 28, 2017, 05:28:56 PM »
Hello 40kOnline, it's been quite a while.  Feels good to be back to actually talk 40k.

Anyway, I last played towards the end of Fourth Edition, and it looks like I will be taking up the field for the Eldar once more.  In general, I am looking to hear what major changes I need to know (I've read the new rules and such, so I'm not entirely clueless).

The group I'll be joining plays around 1000-1500 points with mostly Imperium types.  I own one of most things that were around back in the late 'aughts, though only the one tank.

Are infantry tactics viable for non-Wraith focused Eldar (or, more importantly, how can I make them viable)?  I borrowed a book to write up a list and the current plan is to use Rangers and Dark Reapers to destroy key targets from afar, while protecting them with Scorpions or Harlequins and Dire Avengers or Guardians.  I am also looking at a fast element, Fire Dragons in a Falcon or Shining Spears and Swooping Hawks, to link the army and take objectives.  A Farseer or two would be used for support psychic powers.

Any thoughts are appreciated,
Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Looking for General Advice - Infantry-Based Force
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:42:54 PM »
Rangers, Dark Reapers, Dire Avengers, and Guardians are all fine on foot. If you take lots of Guardians, 20-elf squads and such to benefit from buffs better, you'll want some way to mitigate leadership problems. The Avatar is a great choice for this, but if you lack that, there is a Farseer power, Will of Asuryan, that does just as well and is pretty reliable. The Iyanden craftworld trait also helps with this.

If you will take a squad of Fire Dragons, they would be better served by a cheap and durable Wave Serpent as their transport, rather than a Falcon that is more fragile and has more firepower (so you want to stand it still usually).

Farseers and Warlocks (individual, not conclaves) are quite good this edition. Striking Scorpions also do not need a transport.

Footdar probably would benefit from something other than just aspect warriors and guardians. I know you said you are not a fan of wraiths but heavy hitters like Wraithlords can provide heavy weapon support while also giving some counter-assault abilities. I haven't used Support Batteries, but they got a cost reduction which might make them more viable. Support from a Fire Prism tank or War Walkers could also give you more long ranged punch, though I do see people just having lots of dark reapers.

Footdar has many options, though I don't think it is as straightforward as mechanized Eldar. I will probably give a footdar army a try in the near future and see how it pans out.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 06:29:52 PM »
Good to know my core troops can succeed.  I do have an Avatar I could deploy.  How does its Fearless bubble compare to the utility of Farseer powers?

I definitely see what you're saying about the Wave Serpent.  I think I'm still thinking 4th edition that vehicles can move and shoot without penalty up to a certain distance.  Alas, my exactly one tank is kitted out as a Falcon.  Modding it wouldn't be impossible, though, and is something to consider.

I do like Wraithlords (I have one or two around).  My worry with them (and the Falcon/Wave Serpent, truth be told) is that by taking only one or two hard targets, I give value to enemy heavy weapons.  Perhaps the utility on my side is great enough that it is a good decision, though?

I worry about leaning too hard into long-ranged weapons.  I have some support platforms (Vibrocannons, though D-cannon conversion is simple) but finding places to hide all these soft targets while defending them promises to be tricky.  On the other hand, infantry with short range capabilities can tend to get mulched by longer-ranged or faster armies.  Have you had any experience against balanced or specialized infantry forces?  Is a ranged-weapon focus required for such a slow force?

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »
Good to know my core troops can succeed.  I do have an Avatar I could deploy.  How does its Fearless bubble compare to the utility of Farseer powers?

It's pretty much identical. The Farseer power is a little less reliable (since it can in fact fail, even though it's a very easy cast and you have Runes). The Farseer power is also subject to Deny the Witch tests from enemy Psykers and things like Shadow in the Warp from Tyranids. The choice between a Farseer casting Will of Asuryan every turn and an Avatar passively giving a bubble probably more has to do with what kind of HQ do you want, an Avatar or a Farseer.

I definitely see what you're saying about the Wave Serpent.  I think I'm still thinking 4th edition that vehicles can move and shoot without penalty up to a certain distance.  Alas, my exactly one tank is kitted out as a Falcon.  Modding it wouldn't be impossible, though, and is something to consider.

It's also fine to just spend CP every game to bring in Fire Dragons via webway portal. I do this with a squad of Wraithguard and it works out ok. If you have a Falcon that you don't want to convert it might make sense to just keep it around as a Falcon until you have the cash and time to get a Serpent, or see if your friends wouldn't mind you running it as a counts-as (They are about the same size)

I do like Wraithlords (I have one or two around).  My worry with them (and the Falcon/Wave Serpent, truth be told) is that by taking only one or two hard targets, I give value to enemy heavy weapons.  Perhaps the utility on my side is great enough that it is a good decision, though?

If you want to run entirely footdar with no targets for heavy weapons, you'll need to drop the Wraithlords and the hover tanks, yeah. I'm not sure if it's worth it to deny the enemy a good target just to do that, but it can definitely be done. If you are going to run a single Wraithlord and that's it for hard targets, maybe just run it with no heavy weapons, no sword, and just shuriken catapults and fists. It's very cheap and if it dies, you won't feel too bad, but it's still a beast in combat and very tough.

I worry about leaning too hard into long-ranged weapons.  I have some support platforms (Vibrocannons, though D-cannon conversion is simple) but finding places to hide all these soft targets while defending them promises to be tricky.  On the other hand, infantry with short range capabilities can tend to get mulched by longer-ranged or faster armies.  Have you had any experience against balanced or specialized infantry forces?  Is a ranged-weapon focus required for such a slow force?

Azore of Ath-Ron

I ran a couple games with a mixture of footdar and a couple mechanized units early in this edition (but not since the codex). I think Vibrocannons might be overpriced, but not sure. Shadow Weavers seem promising, maybe, due to hiding them easily for indirect fire. D-Cannons seem very strong but hard to use due to short range and fragility.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.