News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau Empire 2000  (Read 2887 times)

Offline MyenTal II

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Tau Empire 2000
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »
Hey wargamers, MyenTal here and back with another list. Long story short I blew up my email account and accidentally locked myself out of my original profile. If any moderator can disable that older account, that would be great ;D. Not sure whether to create this thread or update my old one, but here I go. Here is the list:

Battalion Detachment +3CP:

Cadre Fireblade

Commander: 2x Fusion Blaster, 2x Plasma Rifle, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
Markerlight, P. Grenades, P. Pistol, P. Rifle
9x Fire Warrior
9x P. Grenades, 9x P. Rifle

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Pathfinder Team
MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone
Pathfinder Shas'ui
Markerlight, P. Grenades, P. carbine, P. Pistol
6x Pathfinders
6x Markerlight, 6x P. Grenades, 6x Pulse Carbine
3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle

Pathfinder Team
Pathfinder Shas'ui
6x Pathfinders

Pathfinder Team
Pathfinder Shas'ui
6x Pathfinders

Cadre Fireblade

Commander
3x Plasma Rifle, Drone Controller, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

XV95 Ghostkeel
2x Fusion Blaster, Fusion Collider, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Shield Generator

XV95 Ghostkeel

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Tactical Drone Squad
10x MV1 Gun Drone
20x Pulse Carbine

9 CP
1995/2000

I'm not sure if I would call this a gunline army, because most of the heavy hitters in the list are either going to be deep-striking into the foe's backfield (Shadowsun and her Ghostkeel brethren) or serve either as more backfield shenanigans or rapid reinforcements to counter a threat against my line of fire warriors (Commander and Crisis Team).

I think I would split my Strike Teams into two groups of three squads each. A Cadre Fireblade would buff each group and help lay down some withering firepower to cover the pathfinder teams, who will infiltrate first turn and lay down some marker-light hits for Shadowsun and friends in the backfield to help disable some vehicles early in the game. The same could be done for the Commander and Crisis Team targets that need to be dealt with.

Each Pathfinder Team will have three rail rifles equipped for the purpose of singling out characters and cutting them down. A pulse accelerator drone will help the Pathfinder teams add their fire to the gunline as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated  :).

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:20:15 PM by MyenTal II »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Tau Empire 2000
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:35:33 AM »
If you want to get your original account back, please fill in this form with all the relevant details about what has happened and we will do our best to sort it out for you.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
A couple thoughts on this list:

Basic Crisis Suits are overpriced for what they do and not all that good, to be honest. You're better off spending the points on additional Commander suits (1 Commander = 2 Crisis Suits, only cheaper), which you have a few slots left over for.

On the pathfinders, The Grav Inhibitor Drone is handy for protecting your flanks from Deepstriking assaults and so on. The Pulse Accelerator Drone...not so much. Most of what the Pathfinders will be doing is using their Markerlights, and you don't need the drone for that.

Also: Rail Rifles cannot ignore the targeting restrictions imposed by characters, so you can't actually use them to snipe. They're still great, though, and I heartily recommend them.

I'm not sold on Shadowsun as a solid choice, incidentally. I'd much rather have another commander suit of my own design. If you want to re-roll 1s, use markerlights.

Offline MyenTal II

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
Alright, made some changes to the list based from feedback.

If you want to get your original account back, please fill in this form with all the relevant details about what has happened and we will do our best to sort it out for you.

Thank you, Irisado, the form is now submitted.

Basic Crisis Suits are overpriced for what they do and not all that good, to be honest. You're better off spending the points on additional Commander suits (1 Commander = 2 Crisis Suits, only cheaper), which you have a few slots left over for.

Yeah, never played 7th edition myself, but I remember them being quite a bit cheaper in those days. It's just kind of weird not having crisis suits in a Tau Army, but I guess they should wait till the new codex eventually comes out.

On the pathfinders, The Grav Inhibitor Drone is handy for protecting your flanks from Deepstriking assaults and so on. The Pulse Accelerator Drone...not so much. Most of what the Pathfinders will be doing is using their Markerlights, and you don't need the drone for that.

Understood, will free up some points by axing those Grav-Drones.

Also: Rail Rifles cannot ignore the targeting restrictions imposed by characters, so you can't actually use them to snipe. They're still great, though, and I heartily recommend them.

That's too bad, not sure why I never noticed that. I guess I looked at the model and assumed they were snipers, heh :P. But as you say, they are decent weapons none-the-less!

I'm not sold on Shadowsun as a solid choice, incidentally. I'd much rather have another commander suit of my own design. If you want to re-roll 1s, use markerlights.

I initially picked Shadowsun more as a theme choice than an efficient one, I heard she was not as good in this edition, but I'm not entirely sure why she is considered a not-so-good choice? Is it her weapon configuration, rules, or point cost?

Also, do you think that people will still be using 2-4 commanders once the codex comes out?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:21:59 PM by MyenTal II »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
Yeah, never played 7th edition myself, but I remember them being quite a bit cheaper in those days. It's just kind of weird not having crisis suits in a Tau Army, but I guess they should wait till the new codex eventually comes out.

Believe me, I feel your pain. But right now they just as so clearly not as good as other options.

Understood, will free up some points by axing those Grav-Drones.

Just to be clear, I said *keep* the Grav Drones and ditch the pulse accelerators. However, now that I'm typing this, but Pulse Drones don't need to stay with the Pathfinders now, do they? I'd have to look it up, but if Pulse Accel drones can help Firewarriors, then that would be awesome. Yeah, Heavy Bolter ranges on Pulse Rifles!

I initially picked Shadowsun more as a theme choice than an efficient one, I heard she was not as good in this edition, but I'm not entirely sure why she is considered a not-so-good choice? Is it her weapon configuration, rules, or point cost?

Here's the thing with Shadowsun: she costs about 10-ish points more than a fully kitted Commander with 4 guns and 2 gun drones.

The Commander has better Toughness, more wounds, and much better firepower.

Shadowsun has the stealth field (which is kinda a wash with the fewer wounds and lower T), the Command Drone ability (which is the same as markerlights, except worse and easier to kill), the Stealth Suit thing (which is terrible and you aren't even taking Stealths), and the ability to use Kauyon twice (but your suits generally want to move, so the only way you use this one is if you're using Shadowsun to babysit a gunline).

There just isn't much of a justification for Shadowsun outside of fluff.

Also, do you think that people will still be using 2-4 commanders once the codex comes out?

Character targeting rules are just too damned good for Commanders. Crisis suits will either have to get much cheaper, much better (+1 BS or +1 Wound), or commanders will have to get a lot more expensive for this all to change.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »
Just to be clear, I said *keep* the Grav Drones and ditch the pulse accelerators. However, now that I'm typing this, but Pulse Drones don't need to stay with the Pathfinders now, do they? I'd have to look it up, but if Pulse Accel drones can help Firewarriors, then that would be awesome. Yeah, Heavy Bolter ranges on Pulse Rifles!

Meant to say pulse accelerator drones, sorry :P, and I forgot to edit the Pathfinder Teams on the list to boot. Now that you mention it, I think you are correct about the Pulse Drones. According to the index, Pathfinders possess the Drone Support Rule, but I think the drawback here is that all of the drones for any one squad is assigned into one unit. So if the Pulse Drone goes, then so does the Grav-Inhibitor.

Cadre Fireblade

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Pathfinder Team
MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone
Pathfinder Shas'ui
6x Pathfinders

Pathfinder Team
Pathfinder Shas'ui
6x Pathfinders

Pathfinder Team
Pathfinder Shas'ui
6x Pathfinders

Cadre Fireblade

Commander
3x Plasma Rifle, Drone Controller, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

XV95 Ghostkeel

XV95 Ghostkeel

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Strike Team:
Strike Team Shas'ui:
9x Fire Warrior

Tactical Drone Squadron:
5x MV1 Gun Drone
5x MV1 Gun Drone

9 CP
1965/2000
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:46:37 PM by MyenTal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
Looks good! I might suggest splitting the gun drones into 2 groups of 5, though. That way you can split them up if need be.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:47:44 PM »
Looks good! I might suggest splitting the gun drones into 2 groups of 5, though. That way you can split them up if need be.

Will do! Thank you for the comments, Wyddr :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!