News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63498 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #300 on: May 30, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
Yeah i did too actually, but i just had the Herald and the Death Guard next to each other and the vibrant red just drew all attention away from not only the rest of the Death Guard but also from the Herald. I tried to think of things on the Herald to give a vibrant splash of red and make it a bit of a theme for the warband but I just couldn't find anything that worked.

It's absolutely a colour-combo i'll be using another time though :) perhaps something Khornate would fit the bill ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #301 on: May 30, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
I agree with Cavalier I much prefer the look of the model with a splash of red on it. Could you not compromise and leave the tentacle at the back and the hoses on the models left shoulder coloured red?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #302 on: May 30, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »
Hmmm, I think that would still overpower the rest of the model. Plus, I've kind of done a lot of the red and tan combo ;)

I do get what you mean though. It could do with a little more visual pop, although I do tend to veer quite strongly to the low-contrast side of things. Perhaps something subtle which makes it look a bit more icky. Despite the gloss coats I think they still look a little clean compared to the grubbyness of the rest of the model.

I've got an idea...hold on ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #303 on: June 3, 2017, 08:28:14 PM »
That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with these strange aeons even death may die. - Khalfhirin, Prophet of Ynnead

One of the effects Revenant Psykers of the Ynnari have is to rouse the spirits of the dead to a state of near-consciousness in their presence, as opposed to the sort of half-life they normally inhabit inside the Infinity Circuit. Here's a question though. What happens when you bring a soul back to near consciousness that's been interred into the shell of a Wraithguard? The first revelation would be that you discover that you are dead. Prior to this, you absent-mindedly wander through the swirling echoes of soulstuff, unable to differentiate the living from the dead. The second revelation would be that you discover you've been interred into what amounts to a mute sensory deprivation tank and used as a tool in the the most bloody and vicious conflicts your living kin have fought.

Consciousness inside a walking tomb is not a blessing, it's a curse.

However, such consciousness once gained is not lightly given up. Many Wraithguard abandon their stations upon Craftworlds to follow Ynnari prophets, desperate to avoid slipping back into the fog of their half-life. Such companions are highly prized by the prophets of the Dead God, having a marked impact on those they wish to convert. Many are festooned with charms and scrawled messages, believed to be carried to deceased loved ones by the wakeful Wraith.

And the Ynnari Cult as it stands at the moment :)

Next up, some fanatics!
« Last Edit: June 3, 2017, 08:43:07 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #304 on: June 4, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »
Looking sweet! Love the pose on the Wraithblade... the paint job really suits it too. Super ghostly and the pose is really somber. I can imagine him walking through the fog of war on an endless battlefield. Love the Lovecraft quote too!

My only suggestion would be to pick out a gem on the axe and the shield. Just that little spark of color would give it that soul-powered vibe. A super pale blue would look really cool. Just a thought though! Killer work!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #305 on: June 5, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
Thanks man! Yeah I had the idea that my prophet should speak in mainly Lovecraft quotes, twisted slightly to change the meaning. The original quote was 'and with strange aeons' which i've changed to 'and with these strange aeons' ;)

Adds a little to the suspicion around the Ynnari :) would you trust a servant of the Old Ones? ;)

Good idea on the gemstone on the axe. Each of my Ynnari have a very minimal red highlight somewhere. Flesh on Idravain and roses on Khalfhirin. A little red gemstone on the wraith would do well :)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #306 on: June 7, 2017, 11:50:42 PM »
Imposing as always, Ynneadwraith!
The tentacles on the Wraithguard? Green stuff or from another model.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #307 on: June 11, 2017, 04:59:53 AM »
Thanks dude!

The little charms? I'm nowhere near as good a sculptor as that ;) they're from the Wood Elf Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn kit :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #308 on: June 14, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
Sometimes, I find a good way to look for inspiration is to work out what precisely what something isn't, in addition to what it is. Ynnead is the Eldar God of Death and Rebirth. Ynnead is not God of Healing. That's Isha's domain, who still lingers on in Nurgle's company.

Ynnead has power of life and death over the bodies of the Eldar, independent of their condition. We see this in the Altansari, saved from death by the power of Ynnead, but appearing as perfectly preserved corpses. Perhaps in time she will gain power over this, but for now she is weak. A small fish in a pond full of sharks. For now, simple animation will have to suffice. Hence the term 'Revenant Psyker'. What precisely do you think these Eldar should look like?

Slain by the blinding psychic light of a fell Sorceror, Ynnead has the power to restore life to your limbs. However, Ynnead does not have the power to restore sight to your eyes.

For Laeril, wraithsight would have to suffice. The alternative, she supposed, would be unimaginably worse.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #309 on: June 15, 2017, 07:44:52 AM »
Again... Niiiiice!
Your painting is, as always, superb.
Your scripting has always been good, however, now you have the timing between images down pat. Bravo, Ynneadwraith, bravo!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
Excellent interpretation of what Ynnead is truly capable of and it fits with the  concept of reanimation of an eldar rather than restoration of one. This really reflects how Papa Nurgle seems to roll and I see more correlation between Ynnead and Nurgle than Isha. Which makes sense, as Nurgle is in direct opposition from Slaanesh.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
Thanks man! And yeah that's partially what i was going for. I don't think the connection between Ynnead and Nurgle is just headcanon either. Notice how pretty much all the Ynnari special rules and psychic powers are in 7s or multiples of? Nurgle's sacred number, and an odd choice given the game's base-6 system.

Ooh, and another neat thing is that it sort of sets up a mirror image of the Chaos pantheon. Khorne/Khaine, Tzeentch/Cegorach, Nurgle/Ynnead and Slaanesh is shared.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #312 on: June 23, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
A voice echoed out through the derelict palace, deep and thunderous in its rage. "Abomination, you call me. Perversion of nature. Soul Drinker. Tell me, voidfarer, how does what I do differ from your beloved Phoenix Lords? Their art is not so different to my own. The absorpsion of souls is in our very nature. We are but vessels constructed to contain its energy. Learn to control its flow, and you too can take from those who do not deserve life. You and I are different only in our habits, not in our nature. Despise me if you will, but remember, Selesti stands due to my will alone."

Not sure if it's actually noticeable in the slightest but I've had a crack at a bit of weathering on him :) dirt on the hems of cloth, a little of the same on his wraithbone limbs, some stippling on his blade and a little extra highlight on his feathered ruff. Probably more noticeable from behind:

Oh, and realised I'd forgotten to give his eyes whites!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »
Wow! Looking really nice Ynnead. Love the brown cloak and the red fur, looks really nice. The weathering looks really good too. Fantastic stuff as always! Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2017, 08:49:10 PM »
G'day Ynneadwraith!
You are an amazing artist, mate. This piece is especially nicely done. You've chosen the right red to go with the other earthy colours. The weathering IS noticeable and done well. Thanks for sharing, mate... Be well.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #315 on: June 29, 2017, 10:28:27 PM »
man I'd love to see your parts drawn, I bet Yvraine will eventually find another one of Morai-Heg fingers in there lol :)

Great Job mate, digging the naginata.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #316 on: June 30, 2017, 06:00:47 AM »
Hi Ynneadwraith!
Have just finished watching,"The Eagle". I know it's a bit late, however, nooow I know where you received the inspiration for Soul drinker... Nicly done!   

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #317 on: July 1, 2017, 05:20:23 AM »
Thanks guys! Really glad you like the improvements :)

@magenb I do have a moderate compulsion to just collect neat bits :S usually I have an idea for what I want, and then search through bits sites for the stuff that would fit. Then, when I'm there I'll pick up a couple of other bits and pieces that just look cool. Sure adds up quickly!

@saim-dann I haven't actually seen that film! Looks neat though. Not sure where they got Iroquis vs Romans from given that the Picts were iron-age, but hey they look cool ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #318 on: July 1, 2017, 05:40:11 AM »
Bwahaha!
Sure isn't historically accurate, however, when I saw the horned druid in the cave the first think I thought of was your piece. 

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #319 on: July 1, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
Great stuff as always Ynnead; I think the Autumnal palette works perfectly with your minis and you've achieved a really striking finish with them. Keep it up man!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...