News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63029 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« on: December 23, 2016, 08:53:14 AM »
Hello from a newbie!

I've had a little project blog going over on Dakka and The Dark City for a little while, but this seemed like a cool community so thought I'd come share them over here too :)

I've recently come back to the hobby after many years of hiatus (spurred on by seeing just how awesome Cavalier's Corsairs are, among many others), but my army of choice always was (and always will be) Eldar of any sort.

So, without further adieu I'll get started on the armies!

Lets start with my old Eldar, painted many many years ago. I'll preface this with saying that while I find the modelling side of things comes naturally, lets say I'm a...reluctant...pai nter. It's getting there, but I've found it a bit of a steeper learning curve than chopping up bits of plastic and glueing them together in different ways...

Here's a little fluff background to my Craftworld:

Craftworld Angvellaith (contraction of Angau Vehk Agaith, meaning 'Doom of the Dread-Faced Ones', referring the mythical victory over one of the ancient enemies of the eldar).

The early days of craftworld Angvellaith were unremarkable. Leaving sometime during the middle of great exodus from the eldar homeworlds, it set off into the void alongside dozens and dozens of other craftworlds. For centuries, while others fell, the keen foresight of its seers and the might of its warhosts protected its citizens from the very worst the galaxy could offer. However, all skiens of fate appeared to converge in tragedy for the Angvai. Despite all their efforts, the rotting plague-ships of the Death Guard descended upon their home. Through valient effort and harrowing sacrifice, they repelled the foetid tide. However, like Iyanden their population was decimated. Listless and broken, they drifted through the void awaiting their death. However, all was not lost. Through the webway, a cry for help echoed out from the exodites of Selestini (my exodite world), who likewise were under assault from the followers of the Plaguefather. Throwing what was left of their warhosts into the fray, they managed to turn the tide against the children of Nurgle. This marked a turning point in the attitude of the Angvai. No longer were they content to fade away into obscurity.

In a great council, their eldest and wisest seers developed a radical plan. Through the susserus of their innumerable dead within the infinity matrix, the unborn god Ynnead had made his presence known, and the eldar of Angvellaith welcomed him. They struck a dark pact with their Commorite cousins, exchanging safe harbour in realspace and the industrial resources of their craftworld for access to the cloning vats of the Haemonculi. Through arcane and eldritch technomancy, they rebuilt their shattered warhosts.

Their Guardian forces are comprised entirely of cloned conscripts, who follow the unique Path of the Warborn. These forces are thrown against their enemies with no heed to their survival. If a Warborn survives their tour of duty, they are gifted a name and inducted into Craftworld society as a true citizen. If they fall in battle, add one more soul to the chorus.

First we've got a barebones Autarch made from bitz I had lying around. I liked the idea of a bare-wraithbone look so tried to go for that.

Then there's my Spiritseer which is one of my favourite models paint-wise. No great shakes, but I'm proud of it :)

Last of my favourite Craftworld Eldar are my Dark Reapers. While I like them a lot, I've decided that I want to repaint all my Aspect Warriors in Craftworld colours (with a couple of modifications) as I like the idea of a uniformly coloured army...

Post Merge: December 23, 2016, 09:14:03 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Of the new batch, I've got a couple of Autarch ideas modelled. First off is a WYSIWYG Power Axe Autarch with Banshee Mask and Fusion Gun. Not quite happy with the Banshee Mask, but I do like the dynamism of the model :)

For my last one, does anyone remember the old 3rd ed. Craftworld Eldar codex supplement? I think it was the third 40k thing I ever read, after the 3rd ed. BRB and the 3rd ed. Eldar codex.

I remember being captivated by one of the special characters in there, Nuadhu Fireheart, a Wild Rider chief that fought from the back of a modified Viper. It's one of the images that really stuck in my mind. I've always liked the idea of Saim-Hann since then, and the image of wild tribal Eldar is probably what got me into making Exodites in the first place.

Fast-forward a decade or so and I was having a conversation over on The Dark City forums about Corsairs and how their Void Dreamers couldn't take jetbikes. It occurred to me how odd the idea seemed of a Farseer casting fiendishly difficult psychic spells, where mucking up even slightly will cause a daemon to erupt from your brain, while piloting a jetbike at breakneck speeds across the battlefield.

Then, a lightbulb moment.

Isn't there those Harlequin bikes with a pilot and a rider?

So, a little eBaying and rooting through the bitsbox and here we are! My jetbike Autarch!

Heat lances from a Talos represent the Fusion Gun, and that kickass glaive thing from Dire Avengers is the Power Spear :) he's now got a Windrider head BTW but I don't have pics!

I've got an idea for a Farseer as well, which should materialise at some point soon. Also, all of the new Eldar jetbike models are simply beautiful. Really capture the essence of sleek, alien speed that they should have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up, Corsairs...

Post Merge: December 23, 2016, 09:25:06 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

After seeing how awesome some of the Corsair conversions are out there, I knew I had to start a small force. However, I knew I'd never be able to afford all the excellent jetpacks offered by Forgeworld so I had to get a bit creative...

Turns out, after much trial and error, the little vanes from the underside of Dark Eldar Raiders and Ravagers fit perfectly into the slots in the back of Guardian torsos :) I rather like the way they look too (slightly slimmed down so less likely to get wedged in the corridor of a starship they're boarding...)

Note: running Wych legs are fantastic little bits, big props to the designer who made them

Second only to Wych running legs, Scourge Wings are my favourite bit so naturally I had to work them in somehow:

It's hard to see in pictures, but I washed the wings with Incubi Darkness mixed with glaze to give them a greenish shine like real-life Raven feathers, which led to the fluff for my Corsair band:

Khaine's Ravens
In Eldar myth, the ravens of Morai-Heg were the eyes and ears of the Crone goddess. During the Fall, Morai-Heg bid her ravens to fly with Khaine and peck at the eyes of Slaanesh during their titanic battle. Khaine's Ravens take after these birds of legend, spying on the forces of the Ruinous Powers, and conducting surgical strikes to take out their leaders.

Like Yriel, their Prince Morrathillian claims descent from the House of Ulthanash Raven-Friend. It is after this affectation that he has named his followers.

Here's an older pic of the force painted (pre-Scourge wings unfortunately). I don't have a recent one yet with the Void Dreamer, but as soon as I get enough of them painted I'll do another army shot.

I also absolutely love the fluff behind Malevolents, so I had to make some :)

My thinking is that as their background is that they're Eldar driven mad by Slaanesh tugging at their souls, draining them dry slowly but surely, they would look more and more daemonic as the process draws to its close. It would certainly explain why all other Eldar are so scared of them at least.

Can you tell it was my first time ever painting faces? ;) I've touched them up since then, but I'm not wholly happy yet...

Lastly, inspired by Cavalier's models I put together a couple of Balestrikes that are currently awaiting paint:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up, Exodites!

Post Merge: December 23, 2016, 10:36:43 AM

I've always liked the idea of Exodites, but for some reason I've always felt like what sparse background fluff has been given by GW doesn't quite fit with the feel of 40k. If they're actually 'Amish Space Elves' living a pre-industrial life, then they wouldn't last a second in today's galaxy! Similarly, the idea of a Feudal Eldar Knight-World never really spoke to me either. Not grimdark enough.

Something that did stick though was the term 'Technobarbarian'.

So, that's what I set out to make :)

First off, we've got my 'War Wyrd' counts-as Warlock. My idea (to make them a little more grimdark than 'dinosaur cowboy space-elves') was that Exodites are masters of fusing wraithbone with living tissue. Their Warlocks and Farseers actually grow their ghosthelms into their own skulls, offering permanent protection from the warp. Their wraithbone is also left to grow more naturally than craftworlders, resulting in a more twisted look.

This chapette goes with these, my counts-as Guardians using Guardian, Glade Guard and Wildwood Rangers bits. The chap on the right is the heavy-weapons gunner...

...for one of these!

The grimdark idea I had for these was that rather than just training their dragons as beasts of burden, they embed wraithbone circuits into their nervous systems to provide direct psychic control of their beasts.

Speaking of beasts, my second Craftworld unit is a squad of Dragon Riders/Windriders.

I've never really taken to the use of Cold Ones as Jetbikes. They don't strike me as dynamic enough to fit the movement characteristics of a Jetbike. However, it occurred to me that Slaanesh's formative thoughts and concepts would be born from the Eldar. So, it stands to reason that the daemons that spring from her consciousness are based at least loosely on thing from the Eldar's history. So, with a bit of filing of the Slaaneshi iconography, I came up with these:

One of the big questions about Exodites is how would they protect themselves from Slaanesh? The Dark Eldar hide in the webway and have their soul-vampirism thing, but that's uniquely Dark Eldar. The Craftworlders have their Spirit Stones, but given that those are harvested from the Eye of Terror I doubt Exodites would have the military might to gather them themselves. They also have the Path system to keep them on the straight and narrow, but again that's uniquely Craftworld.

So, I was thinking that their sheer distance from the Eye of Terror, plus the psychic shielding from their World Spirits would give them some nominal protection from the predations of Slaanesh. However, the'd need a way of regulating their society.

Thinking about the history of the Exodites, their great journey was led primarily by religious zealots. Since then, my thinking is that (like the rest of the 40k universe) since then they're technologically and socially regressed into barbarism.

How would a socially barbaric religious culture deal with unwanted behaviour/individuals?

Looking at our own history, the answer is with Witch Hunts!

So, that gave me the idea for my next unit :) counts-as Striking Scorpions

Cult of Kurnous
Although their god is long-dead, the Cult of Kurnous still follows the creed of the father of the eldar. In civilian life, this order of hunters polices the population for behaviour that would invite the attention of She-Who-Thirsts. If an exodite breaks the strictures of their world a wild hunt is called, and there is nowhere to hide from the Hounds of Kurnous.

Although not heavily armoured, they possess formidable defences. Swarms of spites follow them wherever they go and can intercept a significant amount of incoming fire. In combat, they also lash out at their foes stinging and searing with psychically charged barbs and fangs.

I'm really pleased with how these guys turned out. Really wild looking :) plus, their fluff echoes the Wild Hunts from Fantasy Wood Elves which fits very nicely with their Wild Rider heads :)

Thinking on from that, I thought that there would likely be a lot more religious influence in Exodite society, so set about making a couple more 'God Cult' units.

The next ones are my 'Cult of Ynnead' (counts-as Wracks)

Cult of Ynnead
The Cult of Ynnead is a relatively new cult that has developed among the guard of the wayshrines where slain exodites are interred into the World Spirit. Their silent order spends the majority of its time plumbed into their world spirit, deep in the barrows of the wayshrines. If interlopers stumble upon a wayshrine, the figures ensconced in alcoves rise from their dreaming like Draugr, ready to defend their resting dead.

The training acolytes undertake is especially gruelling, and their pre-battle rituals involve ingesting copious amounts of the Eldar combat drug 'Painbringer' (purchased from the Dark Kin, along with their ranged weaponry). This increases their resistance to physical injury manifold, but reduces their mobility. Due to this, acolytes of the Cult of Ynnead are called 'Walkers' after their purposeful stride across the battlefield.

Last of my God Cults that I've made so far is my Son of Asuryan (counts-as Autarch), the Lords and Masters of the Exodite clans. They are descendants of the high priests of Asuryan that led the exodus, and rule to this day.

Moving on from the Craftworld units, I've got a couple of counts-as Dark Eldar units as well. First off, my absolute favourite conversions: Exodite Hunters (counts-as Kabalite Warriors).

Hunters
Operating in close-knit bands and living a semi-nomadic lifestyle they prowl their worlds and their local webway vicinity, mercilessly hunting down interlopers before they can notify their superiors of the riches of the exodite's home planet. Their weapons fire shards of wraithbone at their targets which, once lodged in place, grow exponentially towards the electrical signals that eminate from organs such as the brain and heart, swiftly bringing death to their foes.

The idea behind them is that they're as close to a standing army as the Exodites have, and are given the lion's share of traded Soulstones so they can venture away from their worlds without feeling Slaanesh tugging at their souls...

[/quote]

But, what's a self-respecting Kabalite without his Raider?

Enter the Exodite Hunting Skiff :) with a rather prominent trophy from their exploits of course...

Next up we've got my counts-as Grotesques, and the kickass models that finally persuaded me to part with my hard-earned to start this army up again.

Sylphs
As each exodite life is so precious, the War Wyrds will go to extreme lengths to save mortally wounded eldar frequently replacing lost limbs with wraithbone equivalents. In extreme cases, very little of the original eldar remains. These near-resurrected eldar are known as Sylphs, and are formidable with their new wraithbone bodies.

The other Dark Eldar unit that really lends itself to Exodites is Beastmasters. As some of the earliest models I ever bought were Lizardmen, I had to use some of the OOP Jungle Swarms as Razorwing Flocks:

Also...couldn't resist making an Eldar flying on a Terradon as a second Beastsinger...

However, to use Dark Eldar units in the army I'd need an HQ, so I came up with the Daughter of Khaine (counts-as Succubus).

The fluff is that due to the distance between the exodite worlds and the epicentre of the fall, only smaller shards of Khaine fell onto the maiden worlds. These shards formed ornate and archaic suits or armour that, when donned by a sacrificial exodite, imbues them with a portion of Khaine's martial prowess :) however, once the armour is worn, the exodite may never remove it. They become a living embodiment of khaine until the day they fall in battle, or the fire of Khaine's wrath consumes them and burns out their soul.

Basically a mini Avatar!

I've since painted her but I'm not really happy at all how it's turned out. I'll do a bit more touch-up and see how it goes :S

Penultimately, following on from the Lizardmen Pteradactyl model I had to do something with the kickass Scourge bat wings. Enter Exodite Terradons!

Terradons
While all exodites are culturally regressed compared to other eldar, some bloodlines have devolved yet further. Using technomancy retained through the generations, they significantly alter their bodies and live more animalistic lives than even their fellow exodites. On leathery wings they soar through the jungle canopies and clifftop crags of the maiden worlds. The increased effort of true powered flight necessitates a carnivorous diet, and kindreds of these winged hunters prey on the animals of their home territories.

However, their hunting grounds are not restricted to just their worlds. Often they strike out through the webway, seeking the challenge of hunting the primitive Mon-Keigh or the brutish Orkead. With haywire lances they cripple the vehicles of their quarry, and with heat lances and poisoned weaponry they cut down their foes, carrying trophies from the hunt back to their lairs.

And finally! The centrepeice of the army. The one thing no Exodite army is complete without...

A Carnosaur!

I've settled on it being a Talos. Partially because it's not quite tall enough to be a Wraithknight, and partly due to philosophical reasons (why has Apocalypse corrupted my skirmish-level infantry game?).

So, i chopped up a Talos tail, mashed together some Hellion legs with a Wych torso and the weapon arms from a Raider and got this dude :)

Lord knows what he's aiming at, but he seems happy enough. Joining him is the Beastsinger bonded to the beast, made from a Raider hanger-on, a Dark Elf Corsair cloak, a Wych head and a Sylvaneth Tree Revenant arm :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up, Croneworld Eldar...

Post Merge: December 23, 2016, 10:50:39 AM

Right, so at the moment this army's completely at the concept/ideas stage :) I know the idea of Chaos Eldar is usually pretty skub, but hopefully the ideas I've come up with justify it a little and don't tread on any toes lore-wise :)

The concept is that a very few of the Eldar who survived past the initial birth-scream of Slaanesh revelled in the destruction of their race and gave themselves completely and willingly to her service (either that or they're a few of the most dedicated and depraved pleasure-cultists who even in her first few moments managed to impress the Prince of Pleasure and were resurrected as favoured pets).

These few corrupted Eldar are formidable psykers, exploring the full potential of their power augmented by the ruinous powers, unfettered by the wards that Farseers use to hide from She-Who-Thirsts.

To give it a completely different flavour to Craftworlders, Exodites or the True Kin I thought I'd use the Chaos Daemons codex to represent them (with a little added from CSM).

Right, so the first aspect of Croneworld culture is the Cronelord.

Cronelord

Fluff: Cronelords are the lords and masters of their daemonic Crone Worlds. These few corrupted Eldar are formidable psykers, exploring the full potential of their power augmented by the ruinous powers, unfettered by the wards that Farseers use to hide from She-Who-Thirsts.

Counts As: Fateweaver/Lord of Change (immensely powerful psyker)

Modelling ideas: big base for a small, eldar-sized model. Minimal armour, maybe just robes. Floating up in the air, with wings like this:

The second aspect of Croneworld culture is the mortal minions :) the descendants of the most depraved pleasure cults who are let live as pure amusement for Slaanesh. There are a couple of units I've come up with for these.

Pleasure Cultists

Fluff: The remains of the most dedicated pleasure cultists of the old Eldar Empire. Spared by Slaanesh they live still on a few worlds at the old core of the Eldar empire. Obsessed beyond the point of madness with depraved pleasure and martial splendour they live their immortal lives in constant revelry and slaughter.

Honing their combat skills to perfection they hurl themselves at the ranks of their enemies, rending flesh and armour alike with blades wreathed in fell warp energies.

Counts-As: Daemonettes (T3 and minimal armour, plus WS5 fits the idea of perfectionist CC Eldar)

Modelling ideas: The good staple Wych legs (love the dynamism), with Dark Elf Corsair front torsos and OOP Dark Elf Spearmen heads to make them look Eldar, but distinctly different to Craftworlders, Exodites and True Kin. Dark Elf Doomfire Warlock weapons look crooked and warped enough as well. Throw in some Daemonette arms and heads every now and then and voila!

Aethervessels

Fluff: Considered a gift bestowed by their Crone Lord, some Croneworld Cultists are formed into living conduits for the energies of the warp. These hapless individuals unleash great blasts of eldritch energy, annihilating their foes.

Understandably this has a detrimental effect on their martial skills, constantly battling to hold their beings intact as fell energies pour through them into the material world.

Counts-As: Pink Horrors

Modelling ideas: Maybe High Elf archer legs. Doomfire Warlock masks. If the torso from Doomfire Warlocks works I'll use that. If not any suggestions for a bare elf torso I can easily get 10 of?

Favoured Plaything

Fluff: Through their actions, some Cultists gain the favour of She-Who-Thirsts. They are blessed with formidable skill and power, although Slaanesh is a fickle patron. One single stumble and they can be devoured whole.

Counts-As: Herald of Slaanesh

Modelling ideas: Not sure as yet beyond the OOP fantasy Champion of Slaanesh helmet that I have. Maybe 4 arms?

Croneweaver

Fluff: The Croneweavers are powerful psykers beneath the Crone Lords. Formally a psyker cult dedicated to Morai-Heg in pre-fall Eldar society, as she was devoured by Slaanesh they were cursed by their patron for their part in her demise. Their once-upright stature and lithe bodies were crippled, resulting in the bitter and twisted creatures they are today.  For beings so dedicated to beauty and perfection as the Eldar, such a curse would be unbearable. Perhaps that is the reason they persist. A perfect vengeance is sweet in itself.

Counts-As: Herald of Tzeentch

Modelling ideas: I've got this vision of a hunched over, cloaked figure that looks like an old hag or crone. I've ordered an AoS Necromancer that I'll cut up and have a play about with :) an AoS Banshee would be a second option.

I've even come up with an idea to represent Daemonic Instability :)

At the Whim of a Fickle God: Being as they are the transitory playthings of She-Who-Thirsts, the lives of the Croneworld Eldar exist only at her pleasure. As such, they can live and die and live again at the fickle whims of their patron. Even as they charge towards their enemies, a step wrong and a light stumble can be enough to invoke the ire of the Prince of Perfection causing them to drop as a lifeless husk upon the battlefield. Conversely, if their actions somehow please their lord they could find themselves, or her whims simply swing the other way, they could find themselves thrust back onto the mortal coil, rising from their resting place to do the dance of battle oncemore.

[size=9]Automatically Appended Next Post:[/size]
Onto the other part of Croneworld Eldar, and the bit that explores their pre-Fall society/technology a little.

During the War in Heaven, the Old Ones created many races to do battle against the dread forces of the C'tan. As the warp was anathema to the C'tan, the Old Ones crafted a race specifically designed to weaponise the considerable power of the warp. That race was the Eldar.

On ancient battlefields long-since forgotten, the early Eldar waged war against the metallic Necrons. Using their formidable psychic might they manifested great warhosts to march alongside their mortal warriors.

In the millenia since the fall, this technology has been lost and forgotten, being suicidal under the gaze of She-Who-Thirsts. The last remaining aspect of this technomancy to remain is the construction of wraithbone, it being energy drawn directly from the warp and solidified. The greatest technomancy of the Eldar, lost. Lost to all but those that remain on the Eldar homeworlds within the Eye of Terror.

These twisted Eldar still raise great hosts of daemonic beings to wage war against their foes, resplendent in the despoiled livery of ages past. The many and varied ancient weapons of the Eldar are known as Aetherconstructs. A few are listed below:

Aetherconstruct 1 (need names for these)

Fluff: These summoned warriors are the basic soldiers of the summoned hosts. Tougher and stronger than any mortal Eldar, and armed with arcane weaponry they are formidable foes.

Counts-As: Noise Marine

Modelling ideas: Sylvaneth Spite Revenants would look really cool painted like daemonic entities. Give them some eldar-ified Noise Marine weaponry and we're away :)

Aetherconstruct 2 (need names for these)

Fluff: Vicious clawed fiends that can fade in and out of reality at whim, these Aetherconstructs warp into the battlefield and immediately set about rending the enemy limb-from-limb, screaming in eldritch voices.

Counts-As: Warp Talon

Modelling ideas: Just a plain Spite Revenant repainted would be perfect :) they've already got 'lightning claws'

Aethercolossus

Fluff: The most mighty of the pre-fall Eldar warp constructs, these towering beings of pure destruction cut great swathes through the battlefield.

Counts-As: Soul Grinder or Daemon Prince, whichever you prefer :)

Modelling ideas: Drycha Hamadreth

What do you reckon?

The idea that led me to these was thinking about Wraithguard in the context of some fluff I'd read about Eldar summoning constructs to do the heavy-lifting in their empire/fight the War in Heaven.

What if these warrior constructs of old were simply wraithbone shells that they summoned a daemon into (back when the warp wasn't the hellscape it is now and they were more compliant). This technology developed into the Wraithguard necromancy when they discovered that Eldar souls could power these constructs as well.[/quote]

The only model I've got made to my satisfaction so far is the Croneweaver. Really pleased with how it's turned out :) exactly as I'd imagined

Croneweaver
Pre-Fall, the Cult of Morai-Heg played a pivotal role in the Fall of the Eldar. During the War in Heaven Lileath received a vision where Khaine was torn apart by the mortal Eldar. In efforts to prevent this, Khaine attempted to wipe out the Eldar and reaped a bloody toll before he was pacified. By the time the Eldar Empire had reached the height of its power no mortal race could match them in battle. However, the Cult of Morai-Heg, as the knowledge-keepers of the pre-Fall empire, still remembered well how close Khaine had come to annihilating their race.

Heeding Lileath's prophecy that the power to defeat Khaine, the last true threat to the Eldar, lay within their grasp they set about engineering his demise in secret. Sensing the growing power within the warp as a product of the pleasure cults, they began to see that this new power was the key to this prophecy. In their eyes, this new Eldar god would banish Khaine forever, bringing an end to warfare forever and heralding a new age of peace, prosperity and pleasure for the Eldar race.

Fearing her interference, the high priestess' deceived the seer-god Morai-Heg about their actions, blinding her to the impending destruction of her fellow god.

For their part in her demise they were cursed by their patron. Their once-upright stature and lithe bodies were crippled, resulting in the bitter and twisted creatures they are today.  For beings so dedicated to beauty and perfection as the Eldar, such a curse would be unbearable. Perhaps that is the reason She-Who-Thirsts permits them to persist. A perfect vengeance is sweet in itself.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:50:47 AM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »
Wow the amount of talent on show here is just staggering as is your level of immersion into your army. I really admire your conversion skills.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
Wow! Where to begin!? This is a fantastic army... very smooth and cohesive approach in every aspect. First off... great color choices. Love the mix of high and low contrast colors and the paint jobs are very, very nice. The modeling is really excellent as well. Super clean, smooth kitbashes and conversions across the board. This is an all out hobby blitzkrieg pulled off with great consistency and great execution.

My favorite units are the Seeker unit, the Cult of Kurnous (fantastic modeling, the poses are fantastic! and paint jobs!) and the mini-Avatar. Fantastic kitbashes here and great paint jobs!

Also the CWE units at the top are fantastic as well, love all the glyphs and designs. Truly top-notch!

As for the Croneworld stuff check out my buddy Ibushi's project log. He's used some ingenious kitbashes to pull of his army. Very nice stuff indeed!

Anyway fantastic work all round Ynnead. Thanks for sharing its truly a sight to behold! Please feel free to share bat-reps, and what ever other projects and other photos you may have taken. I love this stuff its truly unique. Thanks!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:18 PM »
Wowzers! That's a heck of a first project post Ynnead! The volume of work really puts a lot of people (me included) to shame. Impressive commitment to the hobby!

I think that the whole style of the army is really good. It looks like a great, cohesive force, which is really difficult to do when you kit bash a lot of it. As it is, there are common traits throughout the army that make it all reflect and compliment each other.

My personal favourite at the moment are the Ennead Walkers. Those things look absolutely badass. I love that in an army known for it's dextrous movement and agility, you have managed to include a walking unit that fits absolutely perfectly whilst looking incredibly tough. Not an easy feat when using Eldar as a base.

Lovely work, I really look forward to seeing this project as it develops!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys! It's always nice to get positive feedback :) especially about the painting which I've never been 100% happy with :S

Yeah the Cult of Kurnous and the Cult of Ynnead are some of my favourite creations :) it's not often that you can picture something in your head, stick it together and it somehow works out exactly as you'd imagined :)

I can just see the cult of Kurnous descending out of a petrified forest onto a squad of hapless Guardsmen, and there is definitely something about an Eldar brick sh*thouse unit that's a really pleasing juxtaposition. I can't think of many other Eldar units that would stride steadily up to a Marine and then punch it square in the face ;)

Oh, it also helps that they're tall. A good head above other Eldar units...

I'll definitely check out Ibushi's thread :) not many Croneworld armies out there :)

No batreps as yet as I'm still getting back into things really, although it's definitely an omission I want to get sorted soon!

I definitely wouldn't worry about the volume of work! It's taken me long enough to get this far :S just all posting it at once makes it seem like it's quick ;)

Oh, I forgot about the fluff for my Exodite world! It all stemmed from a chap over on Dakka who came up with the idea that the wraithbone-replacement limbs seemed like they could be a way to stop one of Nurgle's plagues...

Selestini Exodites
It was high priests of the temple of Isha that originally called for the exodus of Eldar to the maiden world of Selesti. Their new worlds were built in her honour, and all life upon them flourished.

However, the healthy splendour of these worlds was too much for Papa Nurgle to resist, and he unleashed one of his many gifts upon this world. Only by excising the infected tissue and replacing it with wraithbone could the Selestini hold back the inevitable doom of their world.

Their salvation came in the dreams of their seers. Isha, held captive by Nurgle, had heard her children's plight. She whispered the cure to her daughters, and saved their kingdoms. However, the scars of this event are still evident among the Selestini. To this day, any impurity or imperfection in their bodies is replaced with wraithbone, and great forests of petrified trees lie on barren soil. The gifts of the Lord of Decay reap a heavy toll.

FYI 'Selesti' is the name of an Exodite world that's mentioned in passing in the Iyanden supplement as having an Ork Waaagh averted from attacking them by Sylandri Veilwalker, so I thought I'd expand on that little tidbit of info :)

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 11:27:37 PM »
Loving these, Ynneadwraith! Their mythology was one of the things that really drew me to Eldar when I first got into 40k. :D

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 04:16:18 AM »
Wow, what a way to introduce yourself to the forum!!
Absolutely loving some of these kitbashes, the Cult of Kurnous has to be the one that really jumps out on me, the kits mesh so well that it doesn't look like a Kitbash at all, it flows perfectly!
Loving the concept of the Croneworld army as well, you've obviously put a lot of thought and planning into it, can't wait to see what comes from it!
This is a thread that I think I will be visiting very regularly!  8)
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »
Damn I love that new photo! So statuesque! Love that hooded head where'd you get it? Glade Guard?

Great stuff man, so happy your on these project logs. Keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »
Wow, just wow. Excellent kitbashing and I love that you have not one, but three armies that all work on a central theme. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
Wow, what a way to introduce yourself to the forum!!
Absolutely loving some of these kitbashes, the Cult of Kurnous has to be the one that really jumps out on me, the kits mesh so well that it doesn't look like a Kitbash at all, it flows perfectly!
Loving the concept of the Croneworld army as well, you've obviously put a lot of thought and planning into it, can't wait to see what comes from it!
This is a thread that I think I will be visiting very regularly!  8)

Thanks man :) it's odd that the Cult of Kurnous looks so flowing because it was a PITA to get the heads to work! On the Wild Riders the neck is part of the torso, so you have to scavenge a neck from somewhere else to fit it to Kabalite torsos (Scourge necks work well as they're slightly elongated). Would probably be easy with GS but I've never got the hang of working with it TBH so I try and keep everything I do plastic...

I really want to get some of the Croneworld stuff going :) perhaps with any Christmas money I get I'll get a box of Witch Elves, some Harlequins and some Daemonette heads and get cracking ;)

Actually, I'd quite like some input into how to make them look Chaosy, but not full-on mutated. I tried a test model with a pair of Daemonette claws but it didn't really get the look I was after. I'm picturing something along the lines of a dancer band made up of beautiful Pleasure Cultists, with lots of flowing ribbons and suchlike. Sort of like Harlequins gone bad.

If anyone knows of a bare-chested male torso that would fit at least half-decently on Harlequin legs I've be very grateful!

Damn I love that new photo! So statuesque! Love that hooded head where'd you get it? Glade Guard?

Great stuff man, so happy your on these project logs. Keep it up!

Thanks dude :) the hooded head is from the slightly newer Wildwood Rangers set. It's odd for a Fantasy kit in that the head had a little nub for a neck, rather than the neck being part of the body, which means it's nice and easy to fit onto Eldar/Dark Eldar torsos :) If you're fitting it to Guardian torsos it just needs a little bit of shaving at the base of the hood at the back so that it sits level :)

Wow, just wow. Excellent kitbashing and I love that you have not one, but three armies that all work on a central theme. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Thanks man! Yeah I have a bit of a problem in that I start projects a lot more frequently than I finish them ;)

Oh, I forgot. I've also got the very beginnings of a Dark Eldar force that's allied with my Craftworlders. Just a set of 5 Kabalites and an Archon at the moment, but they'll definitely be expanded at some point :)

For my Archon I've never really like the 'just about to be mummified' crossed arms pose, so went for sort of 'drinking in the atmosphere of the battle, reveling in the carnage'.

Perched upon a spur jutting over the battlefield, he closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. The sharp tang of blood filtered through his jaded olfactory nerves and he drank in the carnage below.

Below him, the belated reinforcements were arriving. Spying the remains of the XIth scattered across the valley, the Commissar bellowed his orders. With a crackle of interference, the cloaked figure tested his pet Haemonculus' latest whimsy.

Booming from the platoon's vox-casters, an alien voice declared in broken Gothic: "I am Khaharkyth the Carrion Lord. Look upon my artworks and despair!"

As the final guttural syllables were echoing in the air, the Archon tipped forwards and dove off the precipice. With a sickening crunch he landed square on the shotgun-brute below, cracking its spine beneath an armoured knee. The Commissar spun around, power sword buzzing into life.

"My soul-trap is hungry, plaything." the vox-casters echoed.

Bracing his sword, the Commissar charged...

Also, I've decided that the little skull attached to his shoulder-pad will be known as 'Wilson' and will be painted as such ;)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 06:21:24 AM »
That Archon looks super sweet bud, great work on that guy. I never was a fan of the crossed arms look...not in an age of dynamic posing. You have done a great job of bringing more animation and life to what was a fairly dull pose.

I'm not particularly familiar with the Dark Eldar sets, but I'm guessing that you didn't do anything to the Cabalites other than build them...and yet they look fantastic. I'm particularly fond of the Squad Leader at the front with the 'Who dares beslubber with me?' pose.

Great work, keep it coming!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »
Fantastic stuff yet again. That Archon is glorious!

Also thanks for the tip on the hooded head. Gotta get some! They'd be perfect for Corsair Ghostwalkers.

Anyway keep up the great work buddy, you are rolling!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »
Thanks man :)

Glad i could be of assistance! ;) can't wait to see what you come up with for ghostwalkers :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 06:03:05 PM »
I'd hoped to have this finished earlier today for some nice light, but washed-out photos will have to do...

..big beastie's done!

Tried a white background, but no different really. Need better light.

Had my first go at blood spatter effects as well. Works nicely, although I'd think it'd need a bit more...

Oh, and took the opportunity for a full army shot (apologies for the potato-cam!). 1402pts!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »
Looking fantastic! Great paint jobs and modelling again. Particularly on the big dino-dude. Love the guy hanging on... great modeling there. I actually like the amount of blood spatter you've got on the big beast (what kind of unit is he supposed to represent btw?)

Just a very cool looking force all round. Very cohesive... keep up the great work bud you are killing it!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 08:59:01 AM »
Thanks a lot man :) I am proud of the hanger-on :)

While I was making it I spent a while conflicted as to whether it should be a Talos or a Wraithknight (it's inbetween the two in size), but settled on it being a Talos.

Mainly a philosophical decision after not having played since 5th (what are Apoc units doing in my skirmish game?!) ;)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 10:50:36 AM »
You've really nailed the Exodite aesthetic with these guys.
I agree with Cav on the blood splatter on the big guy, looks just enough!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »
Thanks dude :) I shall leave the blood spatter as is ;)

Latest addition, my 'Boneshaper' counts-as Haemonculus. The fluff is that these are the equivalent of Craftworld Bonesingers, but take a rather more 'active' approach to their art...

Tried to make him look like a miniature version of the Sylphs (counts-as Grotesques) for a convincing Grotesquerie :)

Only issue now is that in comparison my Wyrdlord doesn't look quite so 'wyrd'...might have to revisit him (and maybe the War Wyrd too).

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 05:28:28 AM »
Superb mini.

If you had told me that he was produced by GW as a kit, I would have believed you. I can't give out higher praise when looking at converted minis. Stunning.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 07:11:52 AM »
Wow great model! Perfect counts-as Bonesinger. His scale would make him fit right in with a unit of Wraithguard. Very cool! The paint job looks good too though its a little shadowy so hard to offer to much input on that. But great stuff man really dig the model!