News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 86586 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Human Blood Bowl/Skitarii
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2018, 05:33:03 PM »
Out of everything, Looshkin, my favorite is the blood splatter on the logo. Was a hoot of a journey. Thanks for sharing... Be well!

Thanks for the kind words Saim-Dann. That 'Blood Splatter' is actually just some everyday weathering gone a bit wrong. I had too much of the Khorne Red on my sponge and applied it...I tried evening things up with some silver. It didn't work. I'm going to apply some white so the the stripe is restored a bit as that spot is OTT.

Trust me...you'll know blood when I use it  ;)

Finally I LOVE the Dune Crawler... how did you do that weathering? I really want to learn that technique it looks so awesome...

It's sponge weathering Cav! I've told you how to do it a dozen times!! I don't know how to weather without a sponge anymore!!!

In all seriousness, I'm probably going to put together a tutorial at some stage so that it's there for reference. Yeah, I think I'll do that with the next models I paint...

Its the technical and finishing details like the plasma which really separate it from the pack. Great stuff man congrats on the win, its a great feat and you just blasted through all of it which makes it all the more impressive. Keep it up bud and I hope you keep posting as much as you do... its super inspiring

Cheers for all the amazing things you've said about my work bud. It always means so much and helps validate the effort. I'm glad that you like how everything has tied together. I'm super stoked that you look the plasma. I won't lie...if I was half decent with an airbrush, I'd have probably used an airbrush!! That said, I'm quite liking how dark the recesses of the Eradication Beam are...and that's not an effect you tend to achieve with an airbrush. Or at least, I haven't seen it.

Thanks Cav, keep hitting me up with your advice!

I can't wait to see the Sicarian's as given the amount of metal on these models and the way you paint metal I think they will look amazing.

First off, thanks for everything you've said Alienscar. Again, it gives validation to the hours and late nights put into these bad boys.

As for the Sicarians, hopefully what you see below will stoke your interest!

Loosh I am seriously in love with that Dunecrawler, the weathering on it is superb. You've managed to get a really good balance between clean/dirty that people seem to struggle with on Ad-Mech stuff.
Really loving your recent work!

I really think that, with the exception of Nurgle models, less is more. You only need a bit of corrosion to get across the hostile environments that these armies operate in...going all in makes it hard to work out how a machine would move...let alone fight!

So thank you too AP, for everything you've said!

Right, mini update time.

I gave myself a couple of days off after the last update. I didn't want to plunge in head first into new models and risk early burnout. After that, I made sure I only spent an hour or so per night building models...again, I fear burnout. Especially given that, as a hobby butterfly, I rarely stick to painting one type of model for longer than a few weeks. I want to paint all the Ad Mech I have and actually finish the first stage of this project...not put a load of models back on shelves and move onto the next thing.

To keep myself interested, I decided to vary my diet:

Sicarian Infiltraitors and Castellan Robots:

I wanted to have quite different models to work on. One filled with large, rounded, flat areas to paint, the other fairly simple with a totally different, angular style.

So the robots were base coated black. I then (rather pointlessly) sprayed them Leadbelcher. Finally, a base coat of Khorne Red applied by airbrush for a nice, smooth finish. I'm worried that the shade of the red may be a touch lighter than on the Onager Dunecrawler...such are the perils of applying the red over silver, rather than black. We'll see.

As a couple of you have mentioned the finish I get on metals, I thought I'd tear down the curtain and let you see the magic trick.

It's so dame easy that I feel almost ashamed that I haven't really let on how simple it is until now.

Basecoat with black. Multiple angles, 2-3 very short squirts for coverage from about 9-12 inches.

Basecoat with Leadbelcher. Multiple angles, 2-3 very short squirts for coverage from about 9-12 inches.

Wash fairly heavily (although watching for pooling and soaking up excess where necessary) with Nuln Oil.

That gets you to the stage below. All I'd then do is add a few (again, less is more) edge highlights of Mithril Silver. Use Stormhost/Runefang if you aren't like me and you don't hoard Mithril Silver like a demented Smaug.

By the way, in case you're wondering, I tend to Blue-Tac the backpacks to the model so that I have ease of access for painting. I also Blue-Tac feet to bases if I need to get to the inside of robes. Always think ahead and don't rue the fact that you've glued and now can easily access the inside of robes.

Thanks for stopping by Gents, any feedback you have is always welcome!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
Niiiiice!
Another journey but with a tutorial. This is going to be a hoot.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2018, 07:35:19 AM »
I love how this force is shaping up. Those robots are the damn business! Is that a Data Smith with the Infiltrators? Thats a real cool model. Great little tutorial on the metal too, thats exactly how I painted Cawl... all 3 of them lol

Also no problem on the compliments bud it was such great work. Plus its all in red so how can I not love it! lol... also damn! I keep forgetting about that sponging technique. I'd really love a tutorial but I may just dive in... been thinking of adding a touch of weathering to my Eldar... or definitely an additional weathering to my World Eaters.

Anyway really looking forward to see how you tackle the robot. The visor in particular tends to make the model... I've seen some really creative stuff done with those visors. Maybe some real glowy effects like you did on the eradication beams/plasma? Just a thought, anyway bud keep it up you are on fire!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
Basecoat with black. Multiple angles, 2-3 very short squirts for coverage from about 9-12 inches.

Basecoat with Leadbelcher. Multiple angles, 2-3 very short squirts for coverage from about 9-12 inches.

Your finish is just sprays and a wash? I feel cheated.... Only joking thanks for the info. Is the use of multiple angles important?

As for the Sicarians, hopefully what you see below will stoke your interest!

Awesome stuff Looshkin as Cav said your army is shaping up to look incredible and the Sicarian's and Datasmith already look amazing and I can't wait to see them finished.

I will be honest I am not a fan of the way that the Kastelan Robots look as they remind me too much of Robby the robot. I am sure that you will paint them to your normal excellent standard though.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:20:31 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2018, 10:04:58 AM »
Oh snap!
I literally cannot wait to see what you do with the Castellan robots, as blank plastic they really look like boring models but with a good paintjob they can look incredible, with what you've done so far I really can't wait to see what you do with them!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2018, 03:43:10 PM »
Well, it's been a while (skiing holiday) but I'm dead pleased you're doing more of your Ad Mech. Something about the silvers and coppers makes them look extra-clockwork which I really like :)

Can't wait to see more of them :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #266 on: March 1, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »
Love the look of your AdMech Loosh. Very good job overall, and those spots of luminous blue on plasma coils just brings the whole thing to life. Tried that several times myself, but couldn't get it right for some reason. Any tips?

Metal on those newer models looks great too, 100% natural. Did you ever try Nuln Oil Gloss? If you didn't, I'd recommend giving it it a go. It flows a bit better, and makes it easier to achieve more contrasting-looking recesses.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #267 on: March 1, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
I love how this force is shaping up. Those robots are the damn business! Is that a Data Smith with the Infiltrators? Thats a real cool model. Great little tutorial on the metal too, thats exactly how I painted Cawl... all 3 of them lol

It is a Datasmith. The model is growing on me...and hopefully I should finish him in the next couple of days.

Anyway really looking forward to see how you tackle the robot. The visor in particular tends to make the model... I've seen some really creative stuff done with those visors. Maybe some real glowy effects like you did on the eradication beams/plasma? Just a thought, anyway bud keep it up you are on fire!

Yeah, you may be disappointed. I want the blue plasma effect to be the sole province of weapons...I genuinely think they'd totally overpower the Castellan Robot; it'd make the model way too 'top heavy' as far as drawing your attention. I just hope you don't hate what I've done.

Your finish is just sprays and a wash? I feel cheated.... Only joking thanks for the info. Is the use of multiple angles important?

You should feel cheated! You should also steal the idea  ;)

As far as multiple angles, when I spray my minis for a base coat, I always gives short sprays from very slightly above the model and rotate 90 degrees after each couple of sprays. I then let that dry before normally repeating the process from slightly below the mini. It just gives good, smooth coverage. The key is not to overdo any of the layers. Again, not in any way, shape or form difficult, but it makes a difference as far as I'm concerned.

Love the look of your AdMech Loosh. Very good job overall, and those spots of luminous blue on plasma coils just brings the whole thing to life. Tried that several times myself, but couldn't get it right for some reason. Any tips?

For the weapon coils, I start with a couple of coats of Caledor Sky. That gives the base colour and recesses something strong to work with.

I then dry brush Lothern Blue. I start densely in the centre of the coil and take it pretty much all the way to the edges. That will leave the Calder in the recesses at the edges while the recesses being lighter in the middle.

Then it's a dry brush of Baharroth Blue. Again, stronger in the middle, but this time stopping shorter of the edges.

Finally White Scar. This needs to be a lot lighter and focussed on raised edges and, again, the middle. It's important to try not to get any of the white in the recesses, as this ruins the overall effect. I actually need to go back and retouch some of the minis I've completed for this very reason.

Metal on those newer models looks great too, 100% natural. Did you ever try Nuln Oil Gloss? If you didn't, I'd recommend giving it it a go. It flows a bit better, and makes it easier to achieve more contrasting-looking recesses.

I didn't use the Gloss. I have used it in the past, but prefer the dull-oil effect that the matt gloss gives. The gloss is superb, but using the matt is a personal preference.

Anyhoo, thank you SeekingOne, Ynnead, Cav, AP, Alien and SD for your kind comments, it really fuels the fire!

Update time!

Only a mini update today. I've been away with work last week, where I got to do some amazing flying (I'm lucky, I get to fly military planes for a living) and not much hobby. I thought I'd share a couple of the iPhone photos I took of the Scottish Lochs though (mainly to show how cool my office can occasionally be!)*

Anyway. You're not here for scenery snaps! Onto the minis.

I started work on the Infiltraitors, but put them aside to work on the big robots. I've got those about 90% finished. I think that basing them is super important to the overall finish, so I've ordered some supplies, but they'll take at least a week to arrive. Until then, you'll have to make do with the following:

Prior to any weathering:

Post weathering. Although I've added a bit more and done some other details since these were taken:

So there you are. Little bits still to do with these guys, but I think that the bases (if they work as planned) should make sense of a couple of the painting choices I made.

As ever, thanks for dropping in on this little project of mine!

*Only occasionally though. I'll save you the images of me, taken this time last year...put it this way, the weather was far more inclement and I hadn't flown for 3 months. As a result, there are lovely images of my holding a bag contains about a pound of my own sick.

It's not always glamorous...in fact it rarely is!
« Last Edit: March 1, 2018, 05:36:42 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #268 on: March 1, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »
G'day, Looshkin!
Lovely photos, mate. Your chosen carrier explains your focus and patience with your hobby. I suspect SeekingOne has a similar job. Just out of curiosity, what are those rings in the water being towed by a barge... I think. Anyhoo, thanks for the amazing pics.

Really liking the bots, mate. You say there is a bit more weathering to do? I may lose favor with this, however, am hoping that weathering goes onto the exposed silver. At the moment it looks like sprayed on silver paint. We all know your skill level, Looshkin, so am sure it is already on the drawing board.

Fantastic and unique post, mate. Keen to see these beasts finished. Thanks for sharing... Be well!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #269 on: March 1, 2018, 07:10:28 PM »
G'day, Looshkin!
Lovely photos, mate. Your chosen carrier explains your focus and patience with your hobby. I suspect SeekingOne has a similar job. Just out of curiosity, what are those rings in the water being towed by a barge... I think. Anyhoo, thanks for the amazing pics.

Really liking the bots, mate. You say there is a bit more weathering to do? I may lose favor with this, however, am hoping that weathering goes onto the exposed silver. At the moment it looks like sprayed on silver paint. We all know your skill level, Looshkin, so am sure it is already on the drawing board.

Fantastic and unique post, mate. Keen to see these beasts finished. Thanks for sharing... Be well!

Cheers bud...I think the circles in the water are something to do with Salmon fisheries...somethi ng like that anyway.

I don't think I'll be doing any more weathering on the red. I think after the photos were taken I just tidied up a couple of the bits. As for the silver...not sure what to do. No way am I doing rust or corrosion. I may give some recesses a wash of Agrax to make it look a little more oily though.

Thanks for the input SD!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #270 on: March 2, 2018, 06:55:46 AM »
Wow! Amazing photos... truly jealous of your job. Absolutely amazing... whenever I think of pilots I always think of how amazed their ancestors would be. Some wouldn't even believe it! What an adventure. Anyway fantastic photos Loosh. Thanks for sharing.

The Robots look great as I expected. Yes I do understand the top heavy look... and finding the right color could be a bit tough. But either way I think these look awesome. I love the weathering to death, the shading and highlighting are awesome and the little bits of yellow and gold here and there are awesome. Also really dig the poses.

These robots are MONSTERS on the tabletop... I wish my poor Wraithlords were like them. If only the Wraithlords had some better weapon options... something altogether new. Visually the Robots add a ton to Ad Mech presence on the board. I'm really hoping they release some more robots and vehicles for Ad Mech. Its always been weird how they didn't lead off stronger with that from the beginning. I almost expected them to be a vehicle based army. But I guess getting definition for troops was probably the biggest challenge in terms of concepts. But they established that pretty well in my estimation. Ad Mech has really grown on me over the years after seeing a lot of SS82 bat-reps. Really looking forward to seeing where this force goes and I hope we can see it on the tabletop as well.

Anyway great stuff as always Loosh. Classic!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #271 on: March 2, 2018, 08:29:27 AM »
Came for the models....... stayed for the Scenery!
Lovely photos mate, the Scottish lochs really can be beautiful, especially on a nice clear day! I've wanted to take my Camera up there to do some proper landscape photography for a while but not had chance yet!

The bots are looking great too! As Cav has said the highlighting and shading looks really great and I love the weathering effect that you've got on them. Really curious to see what you are going to do with the bases!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #272 on: March 3, 2018, 05:00:03 PM »
Wow! Amazing photos... truly jealous of your job.

It's the same as any job bud...the good days are good, but there are plenty of bad days mixed in there to stop you enjoying it too much!

Came for the models....... stayed for the Scenery!
Lovely photos mate, the Scottish lochs really can be beautiful, especially on a nice clear day! I've wanted to take my Camera up there to do some proper landscape photography for a while but not had chance yet!

Ha, cheers man. I carry on meaning to take my 'proper' camera up with me at some stage and always forget. I've taken some (what I consider) truly breath taking photos using a humble iPhone...I really need to see what I can get with some proper hardware!

Cav and AP, thanks for the kind words on the robots. I'll make sure I hit you with an update as soon as I get the bases done.

Mini update time!

I continue to ignore the infiltrators in favour of anything else...they just don't seem to be coming together as they should. As a result, I slapped some paint on the Cybernetica Datasmith. I didn't like the look of this guy when I put him together, but he's going on me. Lots and lots of details to go crazy with if you fancy. If you just paint by numbers though, he still can look pretty cool.

Hopefully this week I'll pull my finger out and get these Sicarian Infiltraitors finished...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #273 on: March 3, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »
Magic stuff, Looshkin!
The detailing and colour choices on this piece are spot on. You've turned an awkward looking model into a center piece. Well done, mate. This army, when done, is going to be supreme... Dang, now I want pizza!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #274 on: March 4, 2018, 06:42:33 AM »
Another nice addition Loosh. Really nice work on the picking out the details on each little feature on his harness/vest. The glow effects are freaking awesome again as well. I actually like this model. I like the more weird support characters that aren't as "cool" as the big HQ's, like the IG regimental advisors and the DE Court of the Archon. I dig this dude. Great job as always Loosh

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #275 on: March 4, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »
Very nice work, the blue and white transistions really stand out.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #276 on: March 5, 2018, 07:38:42 AM »
Wow, that datasmith is looking awesome!
I love how rich you are able to get that blue looking, it really stands out from the reds and metals without totally overpowering them. Great job!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #277 on: March 6, 2018, 04:03:59 AM »
Have to join the other here - that Datasmith looks really cool, probably the best I saw. Those bright spot colours look far better than the typical 'drab' style of AdMech characters.

Love the base too. What paints did you use on the sand/earth texture?
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Adeptus Mechanicus
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
Have to join the other here - that Datasmith looks really cool, probably the best I saw. Those bright spot colours look far better than the typical 'drab' style of AdMech characters.

Love the base too. What paints did you use on the sand/earth texture?

Cheers SeekingOne, seriously stoked that you like the Datasmith, I genuinely wasn't sure about him almost all the way through the process.

As for the bases, I did a tutorial earlier in my Blog:

Looshkin's Everything Thread - Human Blood Bowl/Skitarii

Simply put, it's sand, Agrax wash, Dry Brush Terminatus Stone, add grass. Done.

Again, cheers for the kind words!

Wow, that datasmith is looking awesome!
I love how rich you are able to get that blue looking, it really stands out from the reds and metals without totally overpowering them. Great job!

The dark blues aren't actually as 'poppy' in real life as they are in the photos. They're still colourful, but a lot more muted and subtle. The lighting in my photo box makes it look like I've been using every White Dwarf from 1992 as source material! Thanks for the comments!

Magenb, Cav and Saim Dann, thank you also for everything you've said. It means a lot that you like the work that I'm not sure about and offer criticism when I need it! Much appreciated!

So. Updates!

Quite a busy and productive week and a half tbh. I'm really pleased with how it's gone. Thanks to a couple of delayed flights, I've been able to work some late nights and get a lot finished.

In no particular order (because when I work, there is rarely an order!):

I located and painted up the servo skull for the Tech Priest Dominus. I think that the added height on the non-axe side of the figure balances him a lot more...which is what the designer intended in the first place, I guess. The only reason I hadn't painted this is because I didn't have time before the painting competition.

Next up, I did the base for the Onager. I wanted this to have a little more height, because on a flat base I think it may look quite squat...I wanted the bad boy to stand out a little more; it helps that the addition of cool stone (well, cork board) helps cool down what is a very, very red model.

I had said previously that the Robots had greyish weathering because of something I wanted to do with the bases. Well that thing was adding rocks and the like. Unfortunately, when I came to try it, the posing of the models really only allowed it to be done with one. I may reattack the other at some stage, but not today.

Finally, I finished off the Sicariian Infiltrators. There's a lot more detail on these than I first thought, so they took a while longer than I had bargained for. Again, the dark blues are a bit more muted IRL...

Finally, 1 terribly lit group shot.

So that's that. I need to go back and repaint the Taser Goad on the Vanguard Alpha, so that it matches the Infiltrators. After that, I have 1 more box of Skitarii to make and paint. I'll probably do 5 Rangers and 5 Vanguard to bulk out those squads. I also have to get a move on because I'm hoping to get one of the Forgebane sets when they come out. The savings on those things look absolutely tremendous.

I've also got a knight lying around somewhere that kinda needs a Mechanics paint job....

As always, thank you everyone for your support, I'd love to hear your feedback! Laters!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:45:12 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
Wow!
They all look Micky Mouse, Looshkin! Your right about the slate beneath the Onager. It does cool down the colouring just nicely. As good as models look posing on rock ledges and such, I don't do it myself for line of sight reasons. So visually my armies may look a little flat if not bland, however, tactically they're harder to hit.

I see where you were going with the weathering on the bots now. With the stone, they do look a lot less blotchy and more worn. Very nice.

Your infiltrators are so smooth. I really like them. My favorite is the detailing on the little screen. Not easy. Thanks for sharing, Looshkin. They all look amazing. You must be very proud... Be well!