News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 59584 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #220 on: March 1, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
Quite of a few of the pieces came out of the packet significantly warped and were in need of straightening, the actual fuselage required dry-fitting probably about 6 times and was still a nightmare to put together (And I am pretty sure it's still not straight) and quite a few of the pieces needed some serious cutting and clipping

I have heard many a time that FW's customer service is as good as GW's. Could you not have phoned to complain or is this sort of trouble deemed acceptable for resin models?

Welcome to the wonderful world of resin.. Forgeworld stuff is not really like GW kits, even if you are lucky enough to get everything straight you'll still find things that don't line up correctly such as havingps here and there, parts that are too heavy to use glue alone, basically FW kits are where you put your hobby skills to the test :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #221 on: March 1, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »
Absolutely love those Storm Talons! They look brilliant :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #222 on: March 2, 2017, 03:47:22 AM »
@Looshkin- Cheers bud, the technique for the Canopies is the same as what I used for my Corsairs and what I use for power weapons, I should really start to learn some more techniques! haha
To be fair the list is a lot more brutal than I'd usually go, I am expecting a tough game though. In the last game my opponent ran Magnus and 3 Flying Daemon Princes!

@Cav- Cheers bud! To be honest I've never liked the Storm Talon model (Looks like a flying potato) but the Nephilim looks a lot more streamlined and like it would actually fly! They were started a while back so that's why they've been edge highlighted rather than using the technique that I did for the Sicaran.
Haha it is a pretty tough list! I want to give the Raptors CAD and the new stuff a good try out so just threw it all together in a list. In the future I likely won't be throwing it all in together though! I shall endeavor to provide a Bat-Rep and some pictures, with me not having to worry about rolling for a million Psychic powers I should be able to concentrate a bit more! haha

@Magenb- Preach! I love some of the forgeworld models but sadly it is the price you pay for them! The stuff I have made previously was a lot better than the Fire Raptor though, the molding on this model generally wasn't particularly good and it was a bit of a fight to get it all done.

@Ynnead- Cheers bud, glad you like them!

___________________ ___________________ ___________________

So not an update but a little WIP that I found kinda funny, while not able to sleep properly this morning I stuck the Splintermind podcast on and got the Fireraptor all prepped for some airbrushing! This is the model masked and ready to go, it has now since been sprayed but I'll provide those pictures shortly when I've finished it  ;)

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ __

Even further update!
Fire Raptor is now completed, it wasn't an easy kit to make/paint and I am still concerned about paint chipping. I'll be using it in my game tonight but I've just ordered some spray matt varnish for it.

Since I had my Camera out I've also taken a couple more shots of the Sicaran and Techmarine:

Oh, and I got a few "Family Portrait" shots as well......

Got another Scout unit built and undercoated and I need to finish two of the Drop pods plus I have a few ideas to be added as well but I'm pretty dang happy with how the army is looking right now!
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 05:57:24 AM by Aurics Pride »
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #223 on: March 2, 2017, 06:55:01 AM »
Absolutely glorious! Damn... what a righteous looking army AP. The Storm Eagle looks ace too! Wow love the soft edged higlighting... the green cables are a great spot color and I love the white paneling. Killer! What a beast the Fire Raptor looks. Love it!

Also hope the podcast kept you company. Good luck in your game, looking forward to hearing how it went!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #224 on: March 2, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
Super cool AP. I'm amazed at how quickly you can bang out models to such a high standard. Speed painting has never been my thing...I tend to consider a model a week to be 'speed painting'! I love the spot colours, the white panels tie everything together nicely and there are just enough other little bits that stop the model from being too dark.

Love the family portrait as well...although I'd love to see it on a lighter backdrop, as I think a little of the detail gets washed out by blending in with the surroundings. You can tell though that it is a brilliant, cohesive force that will look amazing on the table top.

Great work AP, this project really is one of the highlights of this board.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #225 on: March 2, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
Awesome work dude :) looks every bit as 'stealth plane' as I'd imagined :)

Love the army shot as well. Proper Raven Guard mechanised assault force :) the close-ups look like they were taken during a night-fight raid as well ;)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #226 on: March 2, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
I finished off painting up my Storm Talons (Converted from Nephilim jet fighters)
(Image removed from quote.)

Please excuse my hobby ignorance but to my untrained eye it looks just like a normal Nephilim Jet Fighter would you mind pointing out the converted parts.

Thanks for posting a better picture of the Sicaran it looks brilliant now that more of the detail can be seen.

Looks like warped parts isn't just a FW problem as the axe on the Techmarine looks like it is slightly bent.

I am loving the WIP shot, more of the same please.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #227 on: March 2, 2017, 06:44:56 PM »
@Cav- Thanks bud, really does mean a lot coming from you! I really enjoyed the podcast, agreed with a lot of the points that you guys made about the Ynarri. Just gutted that I am working on Sunday otherwise I'd be all over the Google Hangout!

@Looshkin- Cheers Loosh! To be honest I work shift work and have a tendency of really sitting down and spending hours painting at one time. I've just done a set of Night shifts (7 Night on, 7 Days off) so I managed to get a bit done during the week of nights and have been able to get loads done over the last couple of days! I've probably spent a good 12 hours a day building and painting over the last 3 days.
I will try and get a better picture on a lighter background at some point but sadly I am limited to a black sheet that I use as a photography background at the moment.

@Ynnead- Yeah it definitely looks like a cross between a Stealth Fighter and an A-10 Warhog! (With the nose mounted cannons)
Thanks for the comments on the photos, with me being limited to the dark Background I thought I better make the most of it!

@Alienscar- Haha it's easily missed! The only conversion on those Stormtalons is a missile launcher from the Landspeeders on the nose instead of the Lascannons/Avenger and Assault Cannons placed where the Lights would normally be. Otherwise I'd just filed off the Dark Angels markings on it.
Yeah sadly the Techmarine is a Finecast one and does suffer from bendy weapon syndrome!

___________________ ___________________ ___________________
@Everybody-

So I got in my game tonight, I'm not going to provide a battle report though as I really had to concentrate during the game due to my opponent pulling some shenanigans with his psychic powers (Sorcerors mysteriously gaining powers and gifts halfway through the battle and Warp charge dice suddenly falling back into the pool....).

I got a couple of pictures though and I'll give a little write up.

He used:
Ahriman's exiles- Ahriman and 3 Exalted Sorcerors all on Disks
War Cabal- 5 Terminators with Exalted Sorceror (Though claimed benefits from the exiles formation)
10 Rubrics in a Rhino
2 Predators

I used my list printed above.
The mission was Deadlock and I won the first turn.
My Skyhammer deep struck in and between the Multi Meltas and Assault Marines destroyed both predators. The Grav hit the Sorcerors on discs and killed one and did two wounds to Ahriman (he rolled a lot of invulnerable saves!)
Sicaran wrecked the Rhino and the the Storm Talons coming in on the following turn shredded the Rubrics that came out of it.
For the next 4 Turns I tried to take down the Terminators and Ahrimans unit but in the process of dealing with the Skyhammer he managed to heal almost all of the wounds that I did (With Life Leech) and shrugged off most of my firepower with 3+ Invulnerables and Feel No Pains. (I have some concerns over his rolling for powers as he had basically everything he needed, he did the rolling for them away from my vision)
Eventually thanks to the Culexus assassin and massed firepower I managed to kill off the Terminators but Ahriman and his two remaining Sorcerors shrugged off near enough everything thrown at them.
He conceded at the end of Turn 5 as I was 11 points to 7 up on the Maelstrom and still had all three Flyers, My Sicaran, Techmarine, Warlord, 1 Tactical Squad and 3 Drop Pods alive and spread out round the board. He only had Ahriman's unit and a single spawn.
It was a fairly close game but it was very frustrating as the units were shrugging off a huge amount of firepower.
I am going to try and arrange another game soon against a different opponent but using the same list as the Fireraptor and Sicaran didn't really do much in the way of damage, I'd like to get a proper look at them again.
I enjoyed the game but definitely had to be on my toes and to be honest for such a small model count army with the right powers the Thousand Sons are so resilient.
................... ....... Next time I need strength D!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #228 on: March 3, 2017, 07:03:55 AM »
Very cool. Lucky to play against Thousand Sons... as you know... I'm DYING to get in a game against Magnus and his lads. Wow... pretty shady dude you were playing though huh? Never quite encountered that before.... did you know this guy well? Crazy... I'm just glad you won. Good thing you brought Skyhammer... this guy deserved the Hammer!

The Fire Raptor is the business! I'm sure it'll reward you in future games. Its tricky with flyers some times. But I've seen enough bat-reps to know that thing can be blisteringly brutal.

Anyway great stuff AP. No worries on the Google-Hangout. Hopefully we'll do some more in the future too!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #229 on: March 3, 2017, 07:28:48 AM »
I do know the guy pretty well and to be honest I normally refuse to play against him, he is one of those guys that really skim reads the rules and seems to read what he wants to read rather than what is actually on the page.... I only agreed to the game as I wanted to get more games in.

Please drop me a message if you are planning any more hangouts, definitely interested!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #230 on: March 8, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »
Hey guys,
One little update for today.
I've been prepping for a Job Interview over the last couple of weeks (and have been acting up into a higher role as well) so I've not had a huge amount of painting/forum time!  :'(
To calm my nerves before my interview this afternoon I did do a bit of building though!
I built myself another Captain, this one called Captain Corvin and he'll be armed with the Burning Blade relic out of the Space Marine Codex:

A Veteran Sergeant with Eviscerator for my Assault Squads

and then a Sergeant with a Combi-Grav and a Marine with a Grav Gun. These should give me a bit of variety in weapons to use.

Also well timed with my acceptance into the Eldar PoC I've just purchased the Triumvirate of Ynnead box! Although I probably won't really use them in game I couldn't not buy the models just to build and paint them! Not sure which one I am going to start with or even how I am going to paint them but they'll likely be the next job after I finish my Scouts/Drop Pods and another Tactical Squad!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #231 on: March 8, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »
Great stuff Auric. I LOVE that captain... love the Sanguinary Priest wings and the relic blade... perfect choices. The FW upgrades really put it over the top. Fantastic! Space Marine characters are so fun to build... the Sternguard and Vanguard Vet kits are so awesome... you've really implemented them well without going to far. Love it

Good luck at your interview man. We'll be rooting for you and congrats on the forum award, you are killing it!  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #232 on: March 8, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »
love the Sanguinary Priest wings and the relic blade... perfect choices. The FW upgrades really put it over the top..the Sternguard and Vanguard Vet kits are so awesome... you've really implemented them well without going to far.

I wish I had your eye for these things Cavalier it would make conversions a lot easier to appreciate. This is why I wish bloggers would list the parts that they use in their models.

Like Cavalier I like your Captain with the wings but the two Sergeants are my favourite. Their poses are simply awesome.

When you get the job you are applying for I hope it doesn't take up too much of your time.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #233 on: March 8, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
@Alienscar- Yeah... being a commission painter you get to see a LOT of kits. Plus my brother plays Revilers, so a lot of the kits AP uses I've seen a lot of too. The Sternguard/Vanguard Vet kits are legendary. I cannot believe how much stuff they give you in those kits... each one is like a mini-bits box. Their is like 5 different load outs for each guy. Its nuts

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #234 on: March 8, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
Cheers guys!
The job is a promotion from my current job, hopefully should mean slightly better hours and possibly more time for the hobby, or at least more money for new toys! haha

@Alienscar- Cav is worringly good at recognizing bits of model!
If you ever want to know what bits I have used please feel free, I always have quite a big bits box (have ordered kits before just to fill up the bits box haha)
Of those models above I used:
Captain- Vanguard Veteran Legs, Forgeworld Raven Guard Upgrade pack Chest, Shoulders and Head, Bolt pistol from the Devastator box, Sword from the Vanguard Veterans box (may have been assault marines one) and the Jump Pack was from the Sanguinary Guard box

Eviscerator Sergeant- Vanguard Veteran Legs, Chest and Jump Pack, Eviscerator from the Assault Marine Box and Head and Shoulders (haha!) from the Forgeworld Upgrade pack

Sergeant with Combi Grav- Legs, Combi Grav and Head from Devastator box, Chest and Chainsword from Assault Marines (I think.) Shoulders from Forge World

Grav Gunner- Legs and Chest from Tactical Squad box, Grav gun is just a combi grav cut down slightly, head and Backpack are from the Assault Marine box, Bolt pistol is from Vanguard Veterans box

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #235 on: March 9, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »
Very nice Auric! I love the new captain, especially the Sang Guard wings, and the dude with the Eviscerator is perfect :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #236 on: March 9, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »
Captain- Vanguard Veteran Legs, Forgeworld Raven Guard Upgrade pack Chest, Shoulders and Head, Bolt pistol from the Devastator box, Sword from the Vanguard Veterans box (may have been assault marines one) and the Jump Pack was from the Sanguinary Guard box

Eviscerator Sergeant- Vanguard Veteran Legs, Chest and Jump Pack, Eviscerator from the Assault Marine Box and Head and Shoulders (haha!) from the Forgeworld Upgrade pack

Sergeant with Combi Grav- Legs, Combi Grav and Head from Devastator box, Chest and Chainsword from Assault Marines (I think.) Shoulders from Forge World

Grav Gunner- Legs and Chest from Tactical Squad box, Grav gun is just a combi grav cut down slightly, head and Backpack are from the Assault Marine box, Bolt pistol is from Vanguard Veterans box

Wow I would never have guessed that you had used so many bits from so many different models. Thanks for the information.

I would love to see you and Yneeadwraith take part in some sort of online scrapyard challenge.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #237 on: March 10, 2017, 05:04:13 AM »
Now that's an awesome idea! 40k Bitzbox Challenge :)

Get a random heap of bits (standardised so it's the same for each person) and see what each person comes up with :)

Brilliant idea for a youtube podcast methinks...

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2017, 04:57:33 AM »
Love the work AP. Captain Corvin is brilliant. I love his pose and the bits that you've used to put him together give a really unique feel. Lovely stuff.

I like the other guys as well, just not as much as the Captain. As a side note though, how ridiculous are Eviscerators? Seriously, it'd be like me trying to swing a telephone pole at someone!

How did the interview go by the way? Find anything out yet?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
Thanks guys!

@Ynnead- I absolutely love the Sanguinary Guard wings, need to get on ebay and get some more!

@Alienscar- Yeah I do have a fairly comprehensive bits box, I'll try and post up a photo at some point. I'd love to do a scrapyard challenge! That's a great idea. Could always set a theme and then let people use whatever is in their bits box to achieve it, would love to see what comes out of it!

@Looshki- Cheers bud! I don't think Captain Corvin will get a huge amount of use but I did really enjoy making the conversion. You definitely need a Space Marine's enhanced strength to be able to use an Eviscerator, that must be why they are so awesome in game!
The interview went alright thanks, I didn't get the job but have been given a Temporary promotion (and a bit more money) and have been merit listed should another one crop up!

___________________ _____
@Everybody-
One little update, spent the last couple of days throwing some paint on some more tactical marines. This will give me the option of using Combat Squads with Flamer, Melta, Plasma or Grav now. Got some more to make when I get some more Forgeworld shoulder pads!

I've also partially built and primed my Yncarne model, I have absolutely no idea how I want to paint it though! I've been doing a bit of research and can't really come up with an idea that I am completely sold on.
At the moment it's inbetween using the same method that I did for my Slaanesh Knight (The purple) or trying to paint it up to match my Corsair army (and possibly Craftworld if I expand using the same colour scheme)
Any suggestions are warmly welcomed!!