News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 Point Necron Balanced List  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Antaeus

• Learn-Japanese.ca
    • Learn-Japanese.ca
  • Armies: Necrons
2000 Point Necron Balanced List
« on: October 8, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
I've done a lot of research and put a lot of questions to my friends and to the forums. After seeing the comments on my first thread here, my aim is to build a truly balanced list. I fear that the weakness this list has is a lack of ability to take on TEQ, as I only have the Doom Scythe and Doomsday Ark (and possibly the Wraiths) that can fulfill that role.

I've considered replacing either the Doomsday Ark or Doom Scythe with Deathmarks and two Crypteks (Harbingers of Despair) to take care of any Terminators -- but I'm not entirely sold on that option (yet?).

Without further ado, here's the most balanced list that I could come up with. Comments and criticism is welcome, as always :)

Fortifications:
- Aegis defence line with comms relay (70); defence line guarding Doomsday Arks

H.Q. #1:
- Overlord (Warlord) (90)
H.Q. #2:
- Overlord with Resurrection Orb & Warscythe (130)

Troop #1:
- 10 in night scythe with Overlord (Warlord); Claim objectives
Troop #2:
- 5 in night scythe; Claim objectives
Troop #3:
- 10 in Ghost Ark; Anti-hoards & MEQ & claim objectives
Troop #4:
- 10 advancing within 6” of the Ghost Ark with Overlord; Anti-hoards & MEQ & claim objectives
Dedicated Transports:
- 1 Ghost Ark (115)
- 2 night scythes (200); Anti-air & anti-hoard/troops
Sub-total: 35x Warriors (455) & transports (315); Claim objectives &/or redistribute troops where needed

Fast Attack #1:
- 5 Wraiths; 3 with whip coils, 2 with nothing (205); Anti-MEQ, Monstrous Creatures & ground-to-air
Fast Attack #2:
- 5 Wraiths; 3 with whip coils, 2 with nothing (205); Anti-MEQ, Monstrous Creatures & ground-to-air

Heavy Support #1:
- Doom Scythe (175); Anti-TEQ, AV14, air, hoard/troops
Heavy Support #2:
- Doomsday Ark (175); Anti-TEQ, AV14, anti-air, hoard/troops, taking out ground-to-air units & operating the relay
Heavy Support #3:
- Annihilation Barge (90); Anti-hoard/troops, MEQ & AV10-13
Heavy Support #4:
- Annihilation Barge (90); Anti-hoard/troops, MEQ & AV10-13

2000 Points
« Last Edit: October 8, 2013, 09:30:38 PM by Antaeus »
I taught myself Japanese in 2 months. I have a free ebook and website that can help you do the same: Learn-Japanese.ca :)

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: 2000 Point Necron Balanced List
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
Sorry for taking so long: I kept hoping someone more experienced in 6th edition would get to this, but the Necron board is a bit slow of late so I guess I'll just jump in and wait for others with conflicting opinions/experiences to reply later.

For starters, I don't think you have to worry too much about anti-TEQ.  You have ten Wraiths...since you aren't using any Crypteks, I'd convert one (or even two) of your Overlords into Destroyer Lords, give them Mindshackle Scarabs and Sempiternal Weave, attach them to your Wraiths and call it a day regarding Terminator and Monstrous Creature management.  There comes a time when you're investing too much energy in countering a threat that many armies won't even bring, and those that do often won't have more than one of it.  The Lords can counter enemy characters that would give your Wraiths a hard time, and the Wraiths can take care of themselves against most other things. 

Given that you have that, I don't think both the Doomscythe and Doomsday Ark are necessary.  Both of these vehicles are a point sink, and neither of them are especially difficult to get rid of considering their point cost.  You are taking the Aegis Defense Line for the Ark, which essentially makes it a 245 point tank...I don't think this is a good idea, since the tank is already points heavy and now it's paying out the nose for a cover save.  If I were you, I think I would drop one of these two, maybe the Ark and the Aegis Line, freeing up 245 points for other things in your army.  This would retain the forward momentum of your moving elements, as well as your aerial superiority over most opponents.

Doing this also takes you back down to one FOC, eliminating possible complaints from confused opponents and the feeling that you're taking four Heavy Support choices via rules-lawyering (a thing which probably doesn't matter but I know my group would ridicule me for).  If you don't need that second FOC, you can drop one of your HQ's freeing further points (or simply use the points to beef up your Lords to the Destroyer variant).  If you took the points to make both of them Destroyer Lords, that would leave you with 145 points remaining, enough to swell your Warriors squads and/or take a unit of Scarabs.

If you dropped one of your Lords and made the other a Destroyer Lord, this would give you 305 free points, ample for another scoring unit+Nightscythe and a unit of Scarabs, or two minimum-size scoring units+Nightscythes if you drop some Warriors from your bigger squads.  Alternatively, it's enough to take a full unit of Deathmarks and a Nightscythe.

All told, I think your list could be streamlined and fit a more traditional build, though I know from your earlier thread that you're very fond of your Aegis Line and your second FOC.  It seems to me that in this list though, there are better ways to spend your points than on a secondary Lord that isn't doing anything, a redundant anti-TEQ and its accompanying cover save. 

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »
I agree you need not worry about Terminators/2+ saves unless they're on a 6W monster (I've heard bad things about those Riptides...) or come in extremely large numbers. Weight of fire is usually the best way to bring termies down. My list has no AP1/2 weapons save for the Overlord's Warscythe, and I haven't had trouble with TEQ. In my last tournament, I had Belial, a unit of Deathwing Knights, a Terminator Librarian and 5 regular DA Termies deep struck on my face turn 1. After my turn, 1 Knight was standing. And the dice rolls were pretty average.

I find the Doom Scythe to be somewhat mixed in roles. It has 2 big guns, but I feel they don't complement each other too well. If you're shooting Terminators, fine. You get some AP1 and some extra wounds from Tesla. Against MEQ or worse, the benefit of the Death ray diminishes. Against AV14 Tesla won't do squat, and only glances against AV13. Medium and light tanks will be torn to shreds, though, but against those you already have a lot firepower. If you're firing at other Fliers, the Death Ray can't even shoot, making it effectively an expensive Night Scythe without transport capacity. But I have to admit I've never used one, so I'm not talking from experience on this one :D. I'd drop it anyway.

You could consider replacing the Doom with a Triarch Stalker. You'd have your anti-TEQ and it would boost the rest of your army against that one unit you need to take down. Also more AV13 presence on the table helps your other tanks survive.
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
I like what you're doing here mixing it up.

I will tell you that competitively I see a few people question using Ghost Arks. I personally have always loved the vehicle but I do find it goes from 'ok' to very respectable if you play with 2.

The most difficult sell I see here is the Aegis with (fill in the blank) manning the gun and sitting a Doomsday Ark behind it. You'll find against IG you simply can't sit back and you'll lose a lot of junk behind that wall. Trust me, I love the Doom Ark but as someone who has two, they're super difficult to make work for their points.

HQ wise a lot of the named HQ's are actually a really decent bargain. I'd strongly consider experimenting with them and finding one that suites your gameplay... so many options here: Mind in the machine, Lightning, remove/give special rules.... some great stuff there.

Also (as mentioned) the difference between Wraiths and Wraiths with a destroyer lord are night and day. I *hate* using my HQ slot in this manner, but I have to admit, it is an incredible force multiplier with Wraiths.

Good luck!