News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 329856 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1160 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »
@Auric's Pride- Thanks bud! Really appreciate the high praise. Glad you like the name as well. Yeah we are recording the next episode on this coming Sunday so your fix is incoming! Should be a good episode as we all have some interesting games to talk about. I'm really looking forward to hearing about how Brian enjoyed playing the book missions from Gathering Storm II. Thanks for the input on the new FW purchase! I think I'll hold off... I'm terrible at keeping secrets so I'm sure you may have guessed it by now! lol thanks bud!

@Looshkin- Hey bud no problem! I'm no where near finished with the net, I've only layed down the basic colors on it, so no worries. But even if I was finished with it I'd still appreciate it. Its always good to hear that you think something could be better because for sure, if I did think it was finished I'd definitley want to hear your feedback!  Yeah I've not yet layed down even a wash on it, so fear not!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1161 on: March 20, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »
@Looshkin- Hey bud no problem! I'm no where near finished with the net, I've only layed down the basic colors on it, so no worries. But even if I was finished with it I'd still appreciate it. Its always good to hear that you think something could be better because for sure, if I did think it was finished I'd definitley want to hear your feedback!  Yeah I've not yet layed down even a wash on it, so fear not!

Thank God for that! Also for you not being offended by my comments. I seem to be more prickly than usual...probably because I know I've made no progress on Celestine and I really need to get back to her. First World problems and all that...
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1162 on: March 20, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »
Yeah the Reavers are looking great Cav :) I love all the subtle, low-scale kitbashing you do on all your models. You've said that modelling's not your favourite thing to do, but I'd challenge you to find a single model in your army that isn't modified in some way ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1163 on: March 21, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
@Looshkin- lol... no worries man. I went to school for art and film so I'm totally used to critical feedback and encourage it. I'm always looking for new perspectives so no worries! Yeah I'm slogging through the Triumvirate too... just finished the Gemenae and the Greyfax.... all I have left is Celestine... just so many little details and the paint scheme I'm doing necessitates a lot of brushwork... which after basically brush painting an entire War Convocation yellow over black primer is burning me out! But anyway its looking good... I'll share my progress on them soon. Cant wait to see your take on them!

@Ynneadwraith- Hey thanks man... I know its total contradiction. I dont enjoy modelling but every single unit in my Eldar army is kitbashed... even my Dark Angels all have 40k accessories (bolt pistol, scrolls etc from 40k DA kits) and my World Eaters are all converted too. I'm just one of those people that customizes everything they do... Anyway glad you like the Reavers and all the light kitbashing. I guess I just cant help myself!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1164 on: March 23, 2017, 04:37:24 PM »
Ynarri First Impressions

Hey guys... so I was gonna hit you guys with another bat-rep... but because the game was so short... I just want to give you my general first impressions of using the Ynarri Warhost... First up here are the lists:

Autarch- Lance, Fusion Gun, Mask, Jetbike
Farseer
Shadow Seer- ML 2
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers x3
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers x3
Reavers x3- Blaster, Caltrops
Reavers x3- Blaster, Caltrops
Reapers x6- Wave Serpent, Holofields, Bright Lances, Shuriken Cannon
-Aspect Host-
Shining Spears x4- Exarch, Lance
Scorpions x10- Exarch, Claw
Scorpions x10- Exarch, Claw

Company Command Squad- 3x Plasma
Veterans 3x Plasma, Vox
Veterans 3x Plasma, Vox
Veterans 3x Plasma, Vox- Chimera- x2 Heavy Flamers
Sentinels x2- Lascannons
Wyvern
Vanquisher- Multimeltas x2, Lascannon
Primaris Psyker x3

So let me basically sum it up... and offer some thoughts. Here is what the battlefield looked like... and the early first engagements.

I got first turn, and infiltrated my Scorpions super aggressively but firmly out of LOS hugging the flanks. I then proceeded to get seized on and my freshly painted Reavers got a bit pummeled... losing an entire squad and a Scatter Laser Jetbike. However... I used that to Soulburst my surviving lone Reavers up the field... inches away from combat allowing for a Turn 1 assault! Although I lost one of the 2 remaining guys I still won assault and ran down an entire Veteran squad.

I held my Scorpions for a turn... I took very little return fire in the ensuing turn and turn 2 when my Shining Spears + Autarch they pounced as one. My Autarch led the beta-strike charge using his fusion gun to blow up a Chimera full of Veterans... I then used Soulburst to move the nearby Scorpions a second time allowing a multi-charge against the Guardsmen and the Leman Russ. While the Russ survived the Veterans got annihlated... but what was so great about that was not the carnage... but the distance moved. I got a 5" move through ruins, then I got a 6" Soulburst to get into combat with both the Russ and Vets... this was the kind of thing I was hoping to pull off... and I did. Scorpions are fantastic for getting that all important Turn 2 combat so I love the idea of taking two units of them... each on opposite flanks...  combo'd with an Autarch + Shining Spears outflanking... so regardless of where the Spears come on... the Scorpions have anti-tank support that can hopefully trigger a Soulburst to get them right where they need to go. Then should they wipe out a unit in combat... they should lend the Spears a Soulburst... which is how that turn of combat ended for the Scorpions. So overall... very impressed by that combo.

Meanwhile I was using my Shadowseer to use Veil of Tears on my Dark Repers... allowing them to go untouched throughout the game... yet they didn't do much because my brother was rolling 5+ cover saves like a damn boss... and we only went 3 turns.

While I didn't rack up TONS of damage... my board control was brutal... my Scorpions were just tearing a swath across the board... and I had lost very little in return.

While the game wasn't very competitive... the thing I wanted to test most proved to be a success. Using Soulbursts to catapult assault units towards choice targets works really well... even in this bad setup where we had Hammer and Anvil. Its very easy to put together a list where you dont feel the sting of losing Battle Focus.

It was huge confirmation of just how effective Ynarri assault can be... however you have to rock threat overload to get it to work. If you are rocking just one unit of assault... because they are to easy to isolate and destroy.

So biggest takeaway... Soulbursts give an immense boost to Eldar assault. It gives them the ability to get just where they need to be. Spears, Reavers, Scorpions with Autarch coordinating Reserves really gives this army a ton of control. I really enjoyed playing this list and plan on doing so again. I want to get another unit of bikes and convert up 8 more Spears...

Also for fans of my brother... He's going to be running FAR more competitive lists from here on out. Both his Imperial Knight and his flyers (Vendetta and Vulture) will be occupying permanent places in his army from now on. Also he wants me to mention he's dedicated to making IG work without allies. Why he wont use his Space Marines is beyond me... but he insists I write this  ;D ;D ;D

Anyways guys... this is just a preview of the discussion I'll be having with Brian and Thor on Splintermind which we'll be recording this weekend. I hope you guys tune in and have a listen when its up. I'll be sure to mention it when it drops.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the update. I'll have some hobby progress stuff soon... 3 of the Reavers have their basic highlights done... and the Triumvirate of the Imperium is almost finished. Dang what a slog painting those minis has been... but they look cool. Alright guys talk soon... hopefully with my FW order in hand!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:39:32 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1165 on: March 23, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
Great little report that Cav!
Got a couple of really good little combinations there! Did the Reavers use a Turbo boost in the first turn?
I've just been a little bit impulsive and chosen Eldar faction for an upcoming league (Craftworlds, Corsairs, Dark Eldar, Harlequins or Ynarri) so I am thinking I am going to need to learn as much as I can about the Ynarri before my first game on the 6th!
Can't wait for the Splintermind episode!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #1166 on: March 23, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
I can't wait to use Soulburst in game. I saw a Ynnari army at my FLGS table a battle company in three turns with it a few weeks ago. Such an incredibly powerful ability.

Vultures are crazy good. Has your brother thought about playing D-99? I played against a list at the last tournament I went to. The guy had loads of Valkyries and three Vultures, which all had vector dancer and strafing run. Also, it's all BS4. Punisher Cannons are no joke when they are BS5 shooting at ground targets.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1167 on: March 24, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »
@Auric's Pride- Hey thanks man! Yep the Reaver did Turbo Boost T1... which was a lot of fun. Hope you were able to gather some good intel for your league! Good luck... and as I always say... TAKE PICS!  8) 8) 8)

@Killersquid- Hey bud thank! Was that Skari handing out the tabling? I heard him describe tabling a White Scars battle company in 3 turns (wish he had recorded that!). About my brothers list... yes he definitley wants to add more flyers to his army... though he wont go full bore with it. He wants to have 3x Vultures, 3x Vendettas for his collection... but in terms of playing games with them... he really just wants the ability to run 2x Vendettas at the moment. He's really dedicated to getting his artillery tanks to work... hopefully 8th edition will help him out because he's got a fantastic array of tanks which he (and I) spent forever painting. But either way he wants to be able to run either 2x Vendettas or 2x Vultures. He's already got one of each... so it wont be too much a stretch to get another one in there. He's probably gonna pick up another Wyvern in the meantime though as that thing has proven to be BRUTAL against my Eldar... Anyway thanks for the input man... I'll make sure to pass that info along to my brother. Thanks!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1168 on: March 25, 2017, 02:02:25 AM »
Also for fans of my brother...

I think at this stage we're all fans of your brother Cav. At least, more so than the rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean? that carries on playing power lists against him We all love a plucky underdog story!

Good mini report Cav, with some cool photos as usual. Against an army that isn't ready for it, that Soulburst bonus movement is just plain scary. I'm still interested to see someone only using extra fire actions and seeing how effective that is, but clearly the ability to set up turn 2 charges can be devastating against the right opponent.

Great stuff Cav...now get your Triumvirate posted! I'm mired in non progress with Celestine at the moment and need some inspiration!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1169 on: March 27, 2017, 07:03:47 AM »
@Looshkin- lol... yeah my brother will have a much nastier list next time. It should be really fun... I love playing against Knights... the sort of Death Star trench run with the Dragons to try and take them out is always fun and exciting. Also playing against his flyers should be fun... living and dying with those reserve rolls to get air support on the right turn is always cool too. As for the Ynarri the double shooting thing should be deadly nasty with Soulburst. The obvious candidates being Fire Dragons and Wraithguard. But what fascinates me the most is some of the more exotic units like Shining Spears, Beast Packs, Harlequins, Solitaires and Harlequin bikers... I saw an awesome Bat-Rep on the Grim Resolve bat-rep channel with a big mix of Harlequins and they were tearing it up.  Anyway thanks Loosh and stay tuned for some more Ynarri action!

Also you asked and now you shall receive!

Been working really hard on Celestine and her girls... Gotta touch up the highlights on the wings a bit and finish the bases on the other girls (and potentially do "writing" on their purity seals but I'm waiting to hear back from the boss on whether or not thats part of what they paid for) but this project is almost done. Then on to a big Thousand Sons commission.

Alright thats it for now guys... stay tuned!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #1170 on: March 27, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
I do have to say, Harlequins and soulburst is really good lol.

Those mini's look amazing! Keep thinking about picking up Celestine for my scions, but I don't need to buy more models for them  :-\

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1171 on: March 27, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
Celestine and gang are great Cav! You've really pulled off the white - I don't think I could have been anywhere near brave enough to actually attempt such a bold, white scheme and you've nailed it. Meanwhile, I repainted the white bits of my Celestine 4 times now and I'm still unhappy with the results!! Yours really is striking though, with just the right balance of splash colours. Is this a Table Top + standard?

I think I'm a bigger fan of Greyfax though. I'm not a huge fan of the model (I have no idea when I'll get round to building her, let alone painting her), but your colour scheme is very complimentary and brings out the best features of the model.

Great work Cav, as ever your client is a very lucky guy or gal.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1172 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
wow looking great Cav.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1173 on: March 27, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
Looking superb as always Cav. If you don't mind me delving into your method, how did you execute the gold armour plating on the front model? I really love the effect you came up with there.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1174 on: March 28, 2017, 12:17:53 AM »
Wowwee! Love the colors, well done. Now gotta get after mine.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1175 on: March 28, 2017, 02:46:26 AM »
Cav I am so jealous of your ability to paint white! Was this airbrushed and then shades used or did you brush it on from a grey base coat?
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1176 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:56 AM »
Just thought of something I wanted to ask. How did you do the doves? Just started mine and I really like the look of yours. The blue is particularly nice.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1177 on: March 28, 2017, 07:16:50 AM »
@Killersquid- Hey KS thanks so much bud. I really appreciate it... hey who knows you may get super stoked for our Scions when the new edition rolls around. Thats why I never get rid of anything.. its all new again when the next edition comes out. Anyway bud super appreciate, so glad to see you back on the boards... especially crushing with your Harlies!

@Dog of War- Hey bud thanks. Glad you like them... are you talking about Celestine? Or Greyfax? Either way I just hand paint the gold using Retributor Gold, put a Reikland Flesh wash over it (always Reikland... it makes it more fiery, warm and glowy) and then just a touch of gold to bright it back up again (but not always...if the wash alone looks good I leave it). And thats it. Super easy... the new GW metallics that came out when AoS launched are incredible. Retributor Gold and Stormhost Silver... must haves IMO. Anyway thanks bud. Let me know if that answers your question.

@Dread- Thanks man. Definitley do get them! They are phenomenal models  8)

Auric's Pride- Hahahah... trust me bro, the feeling is mutual. Your airbrush skills have me gnashing my dang teeth! lol As for the white... nope I just prime it white, do a little Fenris Grey wash then touch it up with Ceramite white. I let that primer do all the work lol. The white is the best looking part to be honest... I should have airbrushed the wings, but the assembly was complicated and I feared mangling them in some kind of sub-assembly disaster. They look good but I could have made them look even better with a couple different changes. Anyway thanks bud I really appreciate it... can't wait to see what you paint up next.

@Looshkin- Hey Loosh... no problem. Real simple... Ceramite White primer, Temple Guard Blue wash (wanted it to look different then the Russ Grey wash on the armor) then touch up again with Ceramite White... picking out the feathers and all that.  I'm real happy with how they came out so thanks for asking. I'll take some more photos of them if you want. Just let me know!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1178 on: March 28, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
Just got back from a long weekend in Europe to this! Celestine is looking amazing :) there's something of an old-school Cosmonaut about her and her Gemini. Really like them :)

I'm also looking forward to your brother's nastier lists, and some more insights to Ynnari :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1179 on: March 28, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »
It was Greyfax. I've been using either Agrax or Sepia for my brown washes, but it looks like I need to pick up some Reikland Flesh now. Thanks for the tip.  ;)