News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 329830 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1200 on: April 9, 2017, 05:18:41 PM »
The Scourge Head work really well on the reaver, nice touch.

Nice work on the thousand sons, almost makes me want to paint some mehrines... almost... ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1201 on: April 9, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
Micky Mouse Cavalier! Just blessed Micky Mouse.

Read one of the posts to you that suggested to not be so heavy on the highlighting. Noticed you took this advice. To be honest, I don't think it needed to be adjusted. Sure, in the photos they looked heavy, but on the table? You tell us, Cav, can you see that your freshly painted Reavers are highlighted when their on the table?

They look great either way, mate, and those Thousand Sons: a very neat job. Your client must be chuffed.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1202 on: April 10, 2017, 05:17:01 AM »
Cav, in the nicest possible way I really hate you! ;D
You get such a clean paintjob on literally everything you do!
The thousand sons look great and definitely well above tabletop standard! I'd love to field those guys, definitely agree with Iri on those bases. They look great!
Can't wait to see the storm eagle painted up!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1203 on: April 10, 2017, 06:52:30 AM »
@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado. I’ve been looking forward to working on the Thousand Sons for a real long time. I can’t believe how awesome the models look. Glad you like the warp/magic energy lava on the bases. Also thanks on the Reavers too… really appreciate the kind words on them. Gonna be so happy to have their look updated from when I painted them back in 2010 or whenever they were re-released. I really do want a second squad of them at some point… but that’ll have to wait. Especially with the edition rollover. Anyway thanks Irisado, always appreciate your feedback

@Magneb- Thanks Magenb… yeah I imagine that particular Reaver took that helmet as a trophy. For some reason I imagine a rivalry between Scourge, Hellions and Reavers… all are competing for the favor of their Archon/Corsair Prince and are also competing for those coveted fast attack slots… lol. Right there with you on the Thousand Sons… mind blowing models. Magnus, the Sorcerors, Aehriman and the Rubrics are all so freaking impressive… I almost went in that direction instead of World Eaters… but in the end I know they will re-do the Berserkers soon… probably alongside new CSM’s, so I’ll just have to sit tight for now. Anyway thanks Mage I appreciate it!

@Saim-Dann- Hey bud thanks. Yeah not sure who thinks the highlights are too thick… don’t remember that comment (they are now marked for assassination by Altaioc Rangers  ;D ;D ;D ;D). But they look good as far I can see. My clients have never complained either so maybe it was just a trick of the photo. Here’s a close-up to show what the finished product looks like… you be the judge! Anyay thanks bud, also glad to see you put your classic icon on as your avatar! It'll be easier to spot you just like on SS82's page  8)

@Auric’s Pride- Hey battle-bro thanks man! Trust me bud… the feeling is mutual. I want to develop airbrush skills! I’m getting airbrush inferiority from Evil Space Elves (Brian from Splintermind) and yourself! Thanks on the Thousand Sons… it is awkward not going all out on the paint jobs. If I remember correctly Frontline wanted to discontinue offering Tabletop Standard because all the painters hated it… but its real popular with the clients so it’d be better to keep it since it makes getting a commission army affordable. Also thanks on the bases! I had to come up with something per the request of the client and I was a tad worried it wouldn’t work… but luckily it looks cool. Also YES! I can’t wait for the Storm Eagle to be finished. My brother is taking time off from work so I can bother him relentlessly to finish it lol… I will be going step-by-step so everyone can follow along. Anyway thanks bud and also SICK work on those Wraithguard… jaw dropping!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1204 on: April 10, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
I think your idea (and Frontline's) of tabletop standard and mine are somewhat different! I've seen all kinds of bad paint, bare plastic, proxies and abominations on the tabletop. Except when the proxies are for Skaven abominations! Then they're probably coke cans or something!!

Seriously, those Thousand Sons are superb. I almost don't know why people would want to go higher than Tabletop if that's the result! The colours are so rich. The blue armour particularly* - I don't know whether it's just the lighting, but it actually looks fantastically blended. It looks so much better than a 'tabletop' standard. You're client should be overjoyed.

If I were to ever get a commission done, I would actually go for Tabletop. I just want the base colours done for me neatly - I can then jazz up the model as I want, when I want - even if I do nothing, they look good, but it'd be a minimum of effort to take them to something spectacular.

Who the hell ever said your highlights were too thick?? I think those Reavers are looking lush. As I said in a previous post, I particularly like the white embellishments on the leader.

Really great work Cav, as always.

*Paint more blue Cav. Your blues are stunning. Tzeentch army FTW!!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #1205 on: April 10, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
Way back in 2010 on page one of this thread.

A few thing's I'd suggest:

A few of your highlights look a little thick and stark.  For instance the old bug eye'd farseer.  The highlights on the red and yellow are very thick.  I'd suggest doing an extra layer or two of intermediate color to give them more of a gradient.

Is the red on the Prism done?  It looks rather flat.  Some edge highlights might give it some more depth.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1206 on: April 10, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
Looking good as always there, Cavalier.

Took a while for the avatar to be allowed up there. A little disappointed someone beat me to the punch with , Red Lion. Was always my code name for pc games. Red Lion, (Hyperactive Leo).

Do you have a professional background in the art, because your colour choices are spot on. Keep up the good work, mate. Always a hoot looking at your army.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1207 on: April 11, 2017, 09:36:24 AM »
Oooh i like those KSons! Funny how 'tabletop basic' is about as good as i can achieve when trying ;)

Reavers are great as ever :) still love the white markings
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1208 on: April 11, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »
@Looshkin- Hey Loosh thanks so much for the kind words. Yeah the blues are soooo nice to work with. I was able to achieve a good blended look just by controlling the wash and adding a little hand shaded Abaddon Black where needed. Also since the model doesnt have tons of edge highlighting the shaded areas stand out a bit more. Also Alienscar identified the heretic who dares critique me (it was from 7 years ago!  ;D ;D ;D ) so no worries. Thank you though. Also I know I'd love to paint more blue.... my first Eldar army was all blue so I do have a bit of experience. Anyway thanks so much as always Loosh. You are the best!

@Alienscar- Damn! Way to dig that up Alienscar! I'll recall Illic Nightspear and his Pathfinder Assasination squad from their search lol. Thanks bud incredible internet skills!

@Saim-Dann- Hey bud thanks a lot. Yeah I've got a lot of art in my background. I started off in art in college before shifting to film... and I still love to draw and I'm still hugely into art and illustration spending a couple of hours a day researching art and various artists each day. Anyway thanks bud glad you are enjoying the project log!

@Ynneadwraith- Hey buddy thanks so much for the kind words. But don't sell yourself short! I love your stuff! Thanks about the Reavers and the Arena Champion. It was nerve wracking doing those white markings on a salvage job model but I'm glad I did. Can't wait to finish them. Thanks!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1209 on: April 12, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »
I see you broke out your painting fairies again, man the eyes, the eyes I say. I wish I could do that again, just to blind and shaky foe it, fantastic. I hope some to get a game with you, but travel is really hard for me anymore.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Ynneadwraith
« Reply #1210 on: April 13, 2017, 01:21:13 AM »
What a load of horsepucky! Your painting skills are waaay above, "tabletop basic". Ttb level can't do your freehand, have your eye with conversions nor your taste in colours. This shows you have what it takes to be on Cav's level with more experience. Your not far off as it is. 

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1211 on: April 13, 2017, 02:32:32 AM »
Thanks Sam dann. Means alot.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #1212 on: April 14, 2017, 06:18:21 AM »
Awesome stuff as always! Impressive BASIC level omg :D! I saw those on your FB page first; if it weren't for the shipping cost, I'd immediately send some stuff over for you to paint!

Also really liking the Reaver bikes. The white on the canopy of the bike in the middle is great. Really impressed by the straight lines and the very symmetric look!
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1213 on: April 14, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
@Dread- Hey bud. Thanks for the kind words… yep the fairies have all been released from their bottles to do my bidding again lol. As always bro, I’m sorry to hear about those damn after effects. I wish we could get in a game too. Travel is super hard for me too, despite being in good shape, working out every day my back injuries make traveling, painting and playing 40k a perpetually painful experience. Anyway bud sending the good vibes your way as always. Also take heart your new models all look great in their classic color scheme

@Saim-Dann- Hey thanks buddy. 

@Katamari Damacy- Hey bud thanks so much! Also thanks for checking out my FB page. I’m trying to update it more often. I’d love to do some commission stuff for you… can you believe I’ve NEVER done an Eldar model beside a Revenant Titan which was my 1st comission 2 years ago (and the ultimate nightmare). But I hear you on those shipping charges… brutal! Thanks for the kind words on my Reavers… I’m gonna get  a chance to work on them this weekend and hopefully finish them completley! I can’t wait…. Thanks for stopping by bud. Always happy to see you on the forum and thanks again for checking out my FB page. Its very much appreciated.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1214 on: April 15, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »
Hey guys. Super cool update coming at you... well my brother has been working like there's no tomorrow on the Storm Eagle, I knew I had to equal him and so I decided to paint the interior of the Storm Eagle.

Should have painted it BEFORE it was assembled, but nonetheless it is painted. Gave it a a nice rough and gritty paint job... unfortunately the photos dont really due it justice. The interior of this thing looks like a Stalin era Gulag. Used a ton of washes... as always the iphone sucks at capturing the true color of red. This thing is the color of dried gore in real life...

Anyway I'm really happy with how it came out, considering you wont be able to see hardly anything after the fact. But for those bits you can see it will look nice.

What a beast of a kit this is.... My brother is a champion for assembling it. He's done so much work just to get it to fit together. He even made a hinge on the backdoor due to some of the defects with the resin. Incredible! He's even magnetizing all options. Just doing yeoman's work. 

Anyway hope you enjoy the updates. I've got some great bits incoming to finish off corrupting this once proud vessel of the XII Legion. Stay tuned more updates soon!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1215 on: April 15, 2017, 08:25:16 PM »
Looking good, Cavalier.
The control panels on the wall are a labour that paid off. This piece doesn't deserve to be taken down the path of Kaos. The Storm Eagle would look mean in black... Or even better, Space Wolf grey. Looking forward to reading how it goes in the thick of dice rolling. Keep up the good work, mate.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:26:20 PM by Saim-dann »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1216 on: April 16, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks Saim-Dann! Glad you like the control panels... man I was disappointed when I saw how dark it is in there after the top hatch goes on. But after some more fiddling with it today, I saw that a lot of the work will still show... As for in all black... I'd love to hook my Dark Angels with a Storm Eagle... but its not gonna happen. This kit is a NIGHTMARE! If my brother wasn't building it, there's a high likliehood I would have butchered this kit by now. This is something for experience and talented model makers only. I do have plans for some cheeky flyer support for my DA... You'll just have to wait and see... but its very similar to this bad bird. Anyway thanks for the compliments bud, its appreciated!

@Everybody- Just wanted to take some last pics... as the top is on and drying right now. Just wanted to share the interior with the top popped off as unless some catastrophe happens this last good view of the interior!

The light gets in there a good deal more than you can see in these pics, but it is dark in there. But the detailing I did really helps the colors pop even in the darkness so I'm REALLY glad I took the time to do it.

Anyways guys thats all I got for now. Next time you see this bad bird, it'll be totally assembled. So stay tuned and talk soon!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1217 on: April 16, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »
Sooooo! There's still time to convince you to paint it black, then. Out of my four armies, Eldar will be the one with the air strike theme. Really like the Dark Eldar and Forge World models. Won't purchase any till I see what 8th will be like though... See you in the threads, Cavalier!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1218 on: April 17, 2017, 04:03:46 AM »
Awesome work Cav. Trust you to raise your game that much further and start painting the internal workings of vehicles!! Damn you!!

The red looks good to me mate, while the details such as the control panel/radar really make the miniature come to life. Excellent detailing on the radar btw.

On a semi-related note...do you realise how lucky you are to have a servitor brother willing to do all the crappy jobs?? I would give my left nut to have someone around willing to build minis for me!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1219 on: April 17, 2017, 10:51:54 PM »
Awesome work Cav! Love the little details in the radar screen and monitors. Love the green colour scheme you use for them. It's very 1980's computer technology theme that I'm super nostalgic about. Looking to shape up to be a super model.