News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 329829 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1120 on: February 21, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »
What a nail biter. I gotta admit I was pulling for your bro in this one. It's a shame those ogryns feel flat, I was hoping to see them wreck bikes. Very nice to see the sentinels pull their weight for once. Helps when you don't give them plasma, as it's a given they'll always roll a one when it counts.

Thanks for the awesome report and pics.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1121 on: February 22, 2017, 03:47:09 AM »
Great report Cav. What a brilliant game. It sounds as bough it really was on a knife edge for all of the game, which is so very rare.

I'll not lie, I was also rooting for your bro. He deserves a win with all the improvements he's made and given the beatings he has taken so far!

Awesome report between 2 beautiful armies. Thanks for sharing.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1122 on: February 22, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »
What a game!
Just shows that your brother is progressing tactics-wise, he made some good choices in army composition and in the game itself.
Great pictures too, really jealous for you getting to play on that terrain!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1123 on: February 22, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »
Wow that was a close game! Bloodbath on both sides. Great batrep :) congrats to you both for such a hard-fought game :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1124 on: February 23, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »
@Dog of War- Thanks man. I was really rooting for my brother too. It was a shame those Ogryns didn't stomp out the Jetbikes... however it may have been lucky because if I had shot them up with the Laser Bikes and they failed morale for any reason, they would have run out of my DZ and he would have lost the game. This was such a nutty game it was hard to include everything in the report... Also agreed it was fantastic seeing the Sentinels do work. When operating in a support role they can be very handy. Anyway thanks man I appreciate it!

@Looshkin- Thanks bud. Yeah I know the games are rarely so close... especially with Eldar. But my brother is becoming an expert in handling them... Thanks again bud.

@Auric's Pride- Thanks man. Yeah my brother is really a good player. Great instincts... he just needs more experience. He's also playing with one hand tied behind his back as he's not using his flyers. He's got a Vendetta and a Vulture which I think he's gonna include next game since we are up to 1500pts... Glad you liked the terrain too. Thanks for your great feedback bud its always appreciated.

@Ynneadwraith- Yeah it sure was a blood bath. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks man!

@Everybody- So the repainting continues! This time its the Storm Guardians. After taking a long hard look at some of minis... I realized that I was transitioning away from using the Gold Primer as the base for my infantry it was the gold detailing that didn't look right. The highlights on the red armor are still really solid, so I went back and re-did the gold and a few other details. Also worked on their bases a bit. Anyway hope you guys enjoy!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:58:25 PM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1125 on: February 23, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
Those Storm Guardians are stunning.  All aspects of the paint work are so well done, and the attention to detail is fantastic.

I have yet to find the time to read the battle report, but the pictures look great.  The light effects differing in some pictures also conjures up the image of the battlefield changing during the course of the game.  I'm not sure whether this was intentional, but it certainly adds to the dramatic effect.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #1126 on: February 23, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
Love those Storm Guardians!
Great choice of parts, you get a really good mix between the Dark Eldar and Eldar parts. It flows really well. The pose on the guy on the left in the bottom picture is amazing as well!
Naturally the paint job is top quality, I wish I could pull off the edge highlighting as well as you do!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #1127 on: February 23, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
Hahaha what a fantastic tactical bloodbath! Hammer and Anvil really helped the imperials bring down the... hammer! It definitely felt like a tie, that was one bombastic showdown -- also I LOVE that your autarch got to juice up his Soulshrive, that sucker was probably strength 10 by the end baha! Good strategy on both sides, your experience paid off in knowing how to place objectives and prioritize targets to play for the end game, but fantastic to see your brother learning the same tricks against your pointy-eared shenanigans! May the rivalry long continue! (Such phenomenal looking armies too...)

Am loving these retouched units, the Storm Guardians look wonderful, and really benefit from the new rules, too -- good call there bringing them back!! The retouched jetbikes are amazing, I don't want to talk about it too much because it is intimidating.

@AuricsPride -- you mentioned being paralyzed by the overwhelming beauty and details of Cav's army on the tabletop, and yes I can fully attest to this!! HOWEVER, the trick is to get Cavalier looking *AT HIS OWN MODELS* and the game is all but won as tactical prowess is compromised by telling you the story of each scorpion's hairstyle. Haha kidding aside, easily the best-looking Eldar army I have ever played!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1128 on: February 24, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
@Irisado- Hey Irisado thanks so much. I'm really, really glad you like them... its a unit I really wanted to have in the army from the beginning... and I may convert up another squad of 10... I've always wanted to do a 20 man squad of Storm Guardians led by the Avatar... although that'd be a huge tactical challenge the image of it would be incredible. Glad you liked the pics from the bat-rep too... yeah to be honest I just got really lucky with the lighting in that room. We've got a special light in there so we can get good directional light and it just so happens to make that effect. The difference in lighting is natural light/artifical. Me and my brother plays slow as hell... so it went from afternoon to night... lol. Anyway no worries on reading the bat-rep, they are mega posts to be sure. Anyway thanks as always Irisado I always appreciate your awesome feedback.

@Auric's Pride- Thanks so much man. Really glad you dig the kitbashes... also glad you like that paritcular guy on the left. I like the guy with the razor flail myself...  Well you wish you could edge highlight like you, I wish I could airbrush and freaking dry brush like you! I got so jealous of your Raven Guard when doing my Dark Angels... I'm trying to steal some of your techniques! Anyway thanks man its always appreciated.

@Ibushi- Hey man. Yeah the game was freaking great. Me and my bro were saying for like 2 hours afterwords... can you believe that game? The rivalry will certainly continue... also thanks for the kind words on my army. I know you've seen some great armies in all your gaming experience so its very much appreciated. Also you are quite correct... the tragic flaw of all Eldar is pride and vanity! lol  8)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1129 on: February 24, 2017, 07:21:29 AM »
Yeah I'm a massive fan of the Storm Guardians too :) their posing is brilliant, and the sort of mishmash of weapons and armour they have is perfect for Corsairs :)

I'd love to see an Avatar and some Stormies in a game at some point. It's a shame they're such a tactical challenge. I mean, the Avatar's nasty but a monstrous creature that only moves 6" a turn is a dead monstrous creature...

I wonder if you could use some of the Corsair Aethermancy movement shenanigans to help catapult him up the battlefield. If his Fearless bubble extends to the Void Dreamer that would fix half of their brutal perils table too :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1130 on: February 24, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
I'm with you Cav - the Razor Flail Guardian is sublime. The way the flail flows around his body, looking as though it is full of motion as part of a back-handed swing, just really makes the model work phenomenally well.

Add to that some sick paint work and I think that these are some of the nicest minis that you have showed us so far. I love these guys, the execution is fantastic.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1131 on: February 27, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
Hey Cavalier do my eyes deceive me or have your models just made an appearance on BoLS?

Link had to disappear, as it's full of copyright violations - Iris.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:38:50 PM by Irisado »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1132 on: March 1, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »
@Alienscar- Hey bud, yep thats my stuff over there on BoLS. Ibushi wrote an article series on the Corsairs and he used some images of my army for the articles. Yeah I actually made BoLS a number of years ago as well... its buried somewhere in the archives. But good eye bud!

@Everybody- Hey gang so back with an update on a number of topics... First up my Storm Guardians continue to get love. Finished 2 more guys... I'm gonna bulk up the squad to 10 and probably start a second squad since I've got the bits for it.

Also... the latest episode of Splintermind is up. In this episode we discuss Gathering Storm II: Fracture of Biel-Tan. We touch on the fluff, what we liked and didn't like. Also break down the rules and army list of the Ynarri and also hobby opportunities provided by the new Ynarri Warhost. This will be the beginning of an ongoing series of episodes where we continue to explore the rules in-depth and report back our findings of how everything shakes out on the tabletop. Definitley stay tuned for those episodes!

http://splintermind.libsyn.com/

Also what may be of particular interest to you guys is this Sunday at 10:00 AM EST, Brian and I will be hosting a Hobby Hangout on Google Hangouts provided there is enough interest. Email Brian at splintermindpodcast@gmail.com if you want to join us and we'll shoot you an invite!

Anyways thats it for now guys. Gonna be getting back to my World Eaters real soon. Even did some work on one of them today... Just need these Storm Guardians to look up to snuff for the upcoming series of games I'm gonna play. Anyways stay tuned and please join me on Sunday if any of you are interested! Thanks!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1133 on: March 1, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »
Nice! Love your latest Stormies :) great posing

Ynnari hobby opportunities?! Sign me up ;)

Looking forward to seeing how your Stormies perform in your upcoming games :) I've always liked them personally

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1134 on: March 1, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »
Fantastic work with the posing as well as the painting Cavalier :).

I've finally managed to read the battle report.  What a fabulous game!  I thought that your brother was going to win, but it just goes to show that objective missions can always go down to the wire.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1135 on: March 2, 2017, 01:58:54 PM »
@Ynneadwraith- Hey Ynnead thanks man. Yeah the Stormies are sooo much fun. Its so fun being able to drop some flamer templates and mix it up in CC... great utility unit... sort of a Johnny-On-The-Spot that can go rack up some wounds in shooting and then melee on some valuable shooting units in the backline.  Also yeah the hobby opportunities section in the podcast was a lot of fun. The ideas Brian has for his army are really exciting and I cant wait to see what he puts together.

@Irisado- Thanks Irisado, so glad you liked the bat-rep. It was one of the tightest and craziest games... it was hard to really capture in text but I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really thought my brother was going to win too... really had to claw back. My brother is really good and with more experience he's gonna be a bear of an opponent. Anyway thanks for the kind words Irisado its truly appreciated.

@Everbody- Soooo the hobby train continues to rumble on! Here's a blitzkrieg of projects... and I've got some other things ready to roll as well.

Corvus Blackstar commission... man do I love this model. All the edge highlighting on the top and bottom is killing me, but I'm happy with how its coming out and hopefully the client will like it too.

Also after a bit of a hiatus.... the Khorne Berserkers are getting worked on. I think I need 8 more after this and my Berserker mob will be just about finished for my first 1850 list... (and lesser point lists).

Next up... more Storm Guardians! I'm missing a couple of models... so real quick threw some new dudes and dudettes together to round off my squad at 11... I'm definitley gonna model more of these guys up in the future... but it'll have to wait till after I'm done with my

Also... my Dark Eldar/Corsair Beastpack is rolling! I know its a bit wacky tacky... but I think it should look cool when I'm done! Next up is some Gryph-Hounds as Khymera and Aetherhawks as Razorwing Flock.

[

Finally... my Reavers are getting repainted... I painted these guys WAAAAAAY back when the DE got rebooted and its time to reboot my paint jobs. I'm gonna run these guys in a Ynarri list and want them looking top notch.

Also quick note... my brother did me a HUGE favor and clipped the joints off the flight bases on ALL my Jetbikes (laser bikes, Autarch, Shining Spears, Reavers) and drilled the bikes so they aren't on those lousy ball joints anymore. I HATE those things... and the original tiny little stems. The stand itself is the perfect thing to mount them on... and its never gonna break. Why they dont make a socket for the stands I'll never know...

Anyway thats it for now guys. Hope you enjoy the update! Talk soon!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1136 on: March 2, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »
Looking awesome as always Cav. I've been thinking of a beast pack myself and have some old metal Khorne flesh hounds that I was thinking of turning into Khymera. I can't wait to see what you come up with in terms of kit-bashing. I'm noticing that you are basing your models prior to basecoating, thanks to these WIP pics. Is that standard for you. I find it troublesome myself to have to work around any basing material on the base. Just curious about your modus operandi.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1137 on: March 2, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
Nice all round! Can't wait to see this latest bast of WIPs done :) especially the lion-riding dude. There's a significant part of me that can't help but like the wacky-tacky side of things with a sort of tongue-in-cheek Rogue Traderness about then ;)

I'm fascinated by the clipping off the flying stands and drilling the jetbikes. While the ball and sockets are infinitely better than the utterly lousy old 'teeny-tiny pin' arrangement of older kits, they stil lseem pretty fragile to me.

What do you do? Clip the ball off the top and then jsut drill a hold big enough into the body of the jetbike for the rod to slot into?

Edit: just listened to (most of) the podcast and it's kickass :) if I'm free I'd love to do the painting hangout too :)
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 06:34:47 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1138 on: March 3, 2017, 04:06:21 AM »
Holy cow that's a lot of projects! I can barely keep track if I have 2 things on the go at the same time, let alone 5!

Great progress on all of the stuff so far Cav. How come the hatred of the ball and socket joints? I would have thought that they provide greater modelling opportunities/dynamic poses. Then again, I haven't used them before, so I'm keen to learn why they suck so much.

I'm liking the Corvus Blackstar. I'm not a huge fan of the black and red colour scheme usually, but I love the spot blue and yellow colours. They help bring the model away from looking too...morose. The blues in particular are really clean and make the front of the model pop. Great work, the buyer will love it, I'm sure.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #1139 on: March 3, 2017, 04:55:21 AM »
Wow Cav, you're doing some serious work at the moment!
The Blackstar looks absolutely superb, a very clean paintjob and you've got the tone of the red pretty spot on in my opinion, spot colours really help the model "pop" as well.
I absolutely hate those flying bases, for mine I ended up flattening the top of the flying stand and drilling a pin into it, they actually work really well and if you do some at a bit of an angle you can get some great flying poses from your jetbikes!